Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. 15:28 - Nov 9 with 6594 viewsmonytowbray

A few (but not many) of you may know that when I was 16 I got an American girl who lived on RAF Lakenheath pregnant, who was shipped back to live with other family about 4 months gone. After a year or two of staying in touch (this was 2004/05 when social media wasn’t the connection it is now) we fell out and lost touch over some childish BS I can’t even remember. About 5/6 years ago I
made the call based on life experiences and people I know that if she ever wanted to know me or build a relationship she’d be in touch, but it would be her choice off her own back.

Fast forward to early 2016 and I get a message on FB saying “Hi, I think you’re my Dad” and from there it’s progressed to chatting online and her occassionally draining my disposable income for shoes that cost more than most my wardrobe combined. Kids are expensive even if they live 3-4k miles away.

Anyway, back story all laid out, she’s 14 now. I met her for the first time last week and it was amazing. Went on a tour of the AZ Cardinals stadium, went to the Grand Canyon and spent time hanging out. She was okay with vegan burgers and hotdogs but not a fan of scrambled tofu.

The good news for her is she’s not inherited my height but she does have my good looks. The bad news is she’s also inherited my attention span that I’ve always assumed was a form of ADHD (FYI she has been diagnosed with it but in MERICA they love selling people medicine so who knows).

We watched the PNE game together but she struggled to be interested (because let’s face it, Ipswich isn’t the team to watch for a good game) but I did explain the rules as they applied. Hoping next year I can fly her over to show her the English part of her roots and take her to a game. Perhaps that’ll be the tipping point to get her to follow her birthright as a Town fan.

Here’s a photo...

All the best.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 15:29]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:30 - Nov 9 with 3373 viewsJ2BLUE

Good stuff, we need all the fans we can get. Even those who will call it soccer!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:31 - Nov 9 with 3372 viewsfactual_blue

You need to buy her some new jeans.

Those are worn out.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:31 - Nov 9 with 3375 viewsmonytowbray

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:30 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

Good stuff, we need all the fans we can get. Even those who will call it soccer!

Every time I spoke to an American about sport and said “soccer” I made sure I said it in a disgusted way and a disclaimer the first time about how much I hate the word.

TWTD never forgets…

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:31 - Nov 9 with 3364 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wow. Cool story (genuinely)

And about the only place that logo is fitting!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:32 - Nov 9 with 3357 viewsfactual_blue

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:31 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

Every time I spoke to an American about sport and said “soccer” I made sure I said it in a disgusted way and a disclaimer the first time about how much I hate the word.

Have you told her David Beckham's cousin used to play for Ipswich?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:32 - Nov 9 with 3357 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was only over there for 7 months, but still let slip with the occasional "soccer" even now

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 with 3336 viewsMattinLondon

To be fair ‘soccer’ is a british world used to describe football in the nineteenth century.
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 with 3333 viewsmonytowbray

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:32 - Nov 9 by factual_blue

Have you told her David Beckham's cousin used to play for Ipswich?

She’s 14, David Beckham is like the olden days to her.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 with 3330 viewsartsbossbeard

Are you and Mum on talking terms now too?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:35 - Nov 9 with 3323 viewsSteve_M

I saw something you put on Twitter a while ago, so pleased to see that meeting your daughter worked out well.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:36 - Nov 9 with 3316 viewsmonytowbray

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

To be fair ‘soccer’ is a british world used to describe football in the nineteenth century.

If I remember correctly, didn’t some d1ckhead return to an offer to “go play rugger” by saying “No, I’m of to play Soccer instead” based on the word asSOCiation? That bloke should have been hung for treason on the spot.

TWTD never forgets…

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:37 - Nov 9 with 3314 viewsJ2BLUE

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

She’s 14, David Beckham is like the olden days to her.

Ouch. Occasionally someone says something which is like a slap round the face reminding me i'm now young anymore.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:38 - Nov 9 with 3315 viewsmonytowbray

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

Yeah we’re cool. First thing I did when she made contact was made her Mum aware and stated we’re no longer teenagers and I’m confident we can both be adults about it. I’m trying to be an adult, anyway!

TWTD never forgets…

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:40 - Nov 9 with 3283 viewsartsbossbeard

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:38 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

Yeah we’re cool. First thing I did when she made contact was made her Mum aware and stated we’re no longer teenagers and I’m confident we can both be adults about it. I’m trying to be an adult, anyway!

Good to hear, well played.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:40 - Nov 9 with 3278 viewsMattinLondon

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:36 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

If I remember correctly, didn’t some d1ckhead return to an offer to “go play rugger” by saying “No, I’m of to play Soccer instead” based on the word asSOCiation? That bloke should have been hung for treason on the spot.

That’s the chap. Alongside some idiot who decided to pick up the ball and run with it whilst playing football. A pair of morons.

The picking the ball up example may well be a myth.

Congrats on meeting up with your daughter.
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:44 - Nov 9 with 3244 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant story Callis. I can't imagine you as a dad!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:47 - Nov 9 with 3206 viewshoppy

I love the way you're trying to make it look as though you're not standing full height there!

Awesome though - good to hear a nice story, which I hope has many more happy episodes for you in the future.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:48 - Nov 9 with 3195 viewsGeoffSentence

What does she make of your music? And does she think it is cool having a rockstar dad?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:48 - Nov 9 with 3194 viewsIllinoisblue

well played, sir.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:51 - Nov 9 with 3178 viewshoppy

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:34 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

What's the back story to this one, about him falling out with your mum?

Do you share more than the difficulty to reach items on the top shelves in supermarkets?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:51 - Nov 9 with 3174 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice bunny ears too

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:52 - Nov 9 with 3162 viewsartsbossbeard

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:51 - Nov 9 by hoppy

What's the back story to this one, about him falling out with your mum?

Do you share more than the difficulty to reach items on the top shelves in supermarkets?

Top?

Middle more like.

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:52 - Nov 9 with 3170 viewsmonytowbray

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:48 - Nov 9 by GeoffSentence

What does she make of your music? And does she think it is cool having a rockstar dad?

I played her my favourite band in the car (newest Single Mothers album, Hardcore Punk) and her only reply was “It sounds weird”.

She did think my studded jacket was cool.

TWTD never forgets…

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:53 - Nov 9 with 3158 viewshoppy

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:52 - Nov 9 by artsbossbeard

Top?

Middle more like.

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 3127 viewshomer_123

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:52 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

I played her my favourite band in the car (newest Single Mothers album, Hardcore Punk) and her only reply was “It sounds weird”.

She did think my studded jacket was cool.

Sounds like she was spot on with the first and wholly incorrect on the second.

Still, it's a better strike ration than our current forward line.

Pleases to hear you've caught up with her callis, nice.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024