Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the cold light of day....... 10:35 - Oct 3 with 5073 viewsNazemariner

I think it's always best to sleep on a result before expressing an opinion. You're a little more reasoned the next day, so here we go......

PH was very honest and accurate in his assessment. We started on the front foot, perhaps a little too much, as it was the press that undone our defence for the opening goal. Trevoh didn't really cover Skuse as he should of done, and the backline retreated, rather than going to the ball. There is an obvious lack of understanding between both CM's and both CB's due to them having not played together a great deal, and this is currently costing us dearly.

The second goal was clearly an error from our skipper. Firstly the pass, but then he failed to make any challenge, and allowed Downing the time to get the shot away. i'm not going to bash Chambers as he is the only defender we have who shows enough bravery to offer himself for the ball, something which is essential in the way PH wants to play.

Other than that Boro were half the team that i expected to see, and you could argue that once we pulled ourselves off the ropes, following the second goal, we were the more progressive team.

We don't have a striker. If we still had any of Garner, Waghorn or McG, then we would of got on the end of one of a handful of good balls into dangerous areas. The reason Freddie looked half decent last night was because he played in areas that a striker should play in, whereas the inexperience of Jackson led him to wander all over the park rather than hold a position.

All in all it was a positive display last night,. It seems a daft thing to say having lost and conceded 2 dreadful goals, but if the core of our team can actually develop an understanding then we will start to see some more positive results.

Gerken - Did nothing wrong, and made a couple of smart saves, but has the demeanor of a man that knows he shouldn't be in the team - 7

Donacien - Still finding his way in the team. Good one minute, dreadful the next - 6

Chambers - Led from the back as always and showed plenty of courage to get on the ball. Bad mistake for the 2nd - 7

Nsiala - A liability - 5

Knudsen - Defended well, b ut that's not enough in a modern day full back - 6

Skuse - Doesn't seem to know his role in the team currently - 6

Chalobah - Stood up and took some responsibilty when his team mates were lacking. Does struggle with his positioning though - 8

Graham - Was he on the pitch? - 4

Nolan - Another poor showing. Time to make way for Andre - 5

Ward - Industrious as always but very little final product - 6

Jackson - Needs someone to play off. Ran everywhere last night, but got little change from the man mountain defenders - 6

Edwards - Always looks lively even when he's looking tired :-( - 7
Sears - Made to look good by the abjectness of others. Love Freddie though - 7
Dozzell - cometh the hour, cometh the man - 7

All opinions expressed are my own :-) Thanks for reading.
In the cold light of day....... on 13:29 - Oct 3 with 1215 viewsHennikerBlu

In the cold light of day....... on 13:25 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

It's going to be a long season that's for sure, but i believe we have a 16th place finish in us, and that must be considered a success.

Although I'll bite your arm off for 21st as we stand.

I am not so interested in what position we finish, provided we are not relegated. But I would like to see a system that works being developed, which I as a paying fan can put my faith in and feel confident for the future.

PH please step up.
In the cold light of day....... on 13:32 - Oct 3 with 1213 viewsSouperJim

In the cold light of day....... on 13:26 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

This is a fact that many are struggling to understand. None of the good players that left in the summer wanted to be here.

Evans: “I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.".

Doesn't sound like we had no choice but to let him go, we agreed to the move as we could get good money for him. Money that has been reinvested in the likes of Nsiala, who looks a far more limited player and one who doesn't fit into the play the ball out from the back philosophy.

The fact is, Evans and Hurst sold those players, Evans and Hurst have spent the proceeds. If we now can't achieve the style we're aiming for with the players we've got, I think the criticism is entirely justified.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

In the cold light of day....... on 13:35 - Oct 3 with 1203 viewsLimitlessBlue

In the cold light of day....... on 12:23 - Oct 3 by LankHenners

It was as right last night as it is now - some nice spells against a team 2-0 up and sitting back allowing us to attack them doesn't count as a 'positive display'.

Every game now it's 'if this' 'if that'. We can't keep saying that.

Amen to that!!

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

In the cold light of day....... on 13:35 - Oct 3 with 1203 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 13:32 - Oct 3 by SouperJim

Evans: “I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.".

Doesn't sound like we had no choice but to let him go, we agreed to the move as we could get good money for him. Money that has been reinvested in the likes of Nsiala, who looks a far more limited player and one who doesn't fit into the play the ball out from the back philosophy.

The fact is, Evans and Hurst sold those players, Evans and Hurst have spent the proceeds. If we now can't achieve the style we're aiming for with the players we've got, I think the criticism is entirely justified.

You're right.

It's a cliche, but there is no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be at the club. Look what it did to McG.
In the cold light of day....... on 13:42 - Oct 3 with 1181 viewsOsborneOneNil

In the cold light of day....... on 12:20 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

7 for Chambers is crazy in my opinion.

SB

Totally agree, he was poor.....3.
In the cold light of day....... on 13:48 - Oct 3 with 1165 viewsSouperJim

In the cold light of day....... on 13:35 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

You're right.

It's a cliche, but there is no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be at the club. Look what it did to McG.

I agree, but I also think we have to do what is right for the club first, the player second. If Webster wanted to go and good money was on the table, we needed to ensure we had an adequate replacement lined up before accepting the deal. That is the way most well-run clubs operate. As it was, we had the protracted Tilt saga, went all round the houses looking for other CBs (Wimbledon captain etc) before finally paying over the odds imho for Nsiala, mainly because Hurst had worked with him before and he was a known quantity.

What we should have done is say "Sorry Adam, you'll get your move but you'll have to wait until January so we can line up your replacement". If the player wants the move that badly, he'll take it on the chin and make sure he stays in the shop window.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

In the cold light of day....... on 13:58 - Oct 3 with 1158 viewsunstableblue

A good balance review and assessment of the game.

I so agree with your point about CB and CM linking being at fault for one of the goals. Albeit it was still a lucky bounce.

I went with a neutral last night, and he was quite impressed by Ipswich apart from the errors, but felt we lacked bite, enough quality and no aggression to get on the end of some very good balls into the box. He was amazed at how Pulis basically instructs the players on exactly what to do for 90 minutes. He didn't feel Boro were poor, just that they had great quality in almost position, so it was hard for edwards, jackson, nolan to win many 50/50s.

On that last point that is why I am so excited about Dozzell he seemed to match the very expensive boro players for finesses, vision and calmness on the ball. Albeit boro were tiring.

Again thanks for report - Hurst deserves the wrath of the board for the bolton and hull games but not last night.

One final point on Knudsen - you say he defended well, but his loss of possession and misplaced passes up the field did hurt us defensively.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

In the cold light of day....... on 14:00 - Oct 3 with 1153 viewshoppy

It was as right last night as it is now - some nice spells against a team 2-0 up and sitting back allowing us to attack them doesn't count as a 'positive display'.

Would you rather 'if this' 'if this', if we can't keep saying that..

Seems a bit odd, but also what has ‘this’ got that ‘that’ hasn’t?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:00 - Oct 3 with 1152 viewshoppy

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

In the cold light of day....... on 14:04 - Oct 3 with 1145 viewsLankHenners

In the cold light of day....... on 14:00 - Oct 3 by hoppy

Would you rather 'if this' 'if this', if we can't keep saying that..

Seems a bit odd, but also what has ‘this’ got that ‘that’ hasn’t?

Let's give 'if the other' a run out. Might work.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

In the cold light of day....... on 14:05 - Oct 3 with 1141 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Very accurate assessment. Could you imagine the team if we had
Bialkowski
Donacien / Pennington / Chambers / Kenlock
Skuse / Dozzell
Edwards / Mcgoldrick / Rowe
Garner

Wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom id imagine, I just will never ever be able to get my head around this transfer scandal that PH under took during the summer, ruined the club, ruined his chances at the club.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

In the cold light of day....... on 14:21 - Oct 3 with 1117 viewsLimitlessBlue

In the cold light of day....... on 14:05 - Oct 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Very accurate assessment. Could you imagine the team if we had
Bialkowski
Donacien / Pennington / Chambers / Kenlock
Skuse / Dozzell
Edwards / Mcgoldrick / Rowe
Garner

Wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom id imagine, I just will never ever be able to get my head around this transfer scandal that PH under took during the summer, ruined the club, ruined his chances at the club.

McInjured would be injured I am afraid.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

In the cold light of day....... on 14:35 - Oct 3 with 1112 viewsHennikerBlu

In the cold light of day....... on 13:58 - Oct 3 by unstableblue

A good balance review and assessment of the game.

I so agree with your point about CB and CM linking being at fault for one of the goals. Albeit it was still a lucky bounce.

I went with a neutral last night, and he was quite impressed by Ipswich apart from the errors, but felt we lacked bite, enough quality and no aggression to get on the end of some very good balls into the box. He was amazed at how Pulis basically instructs the players on exactly what to do for 90 minutes. He didn't feel Boro were poor, just that they had great quality in almost position, so it was hard for edwards, jackson, nolan to win many 50/50s.

On that last point that is why I am so excited about Dozzell he seemed to match the very expensive boro players for finesses, vision and calmness on the ball. Albeit boro were tiring.

Again thanks for report - Hurst deserves the wrath of the board for the bolton and hull games but not last night.

One final point on Knudsen - you say he defended well, but his loss of possession and misplaced passes up the field did hurt us defensively.

I think a bit of communication from the bench might have closed up things after the first goal, instead, most of that half our defence was playing to a different game plan as the rest of the team.

Also if you are going to play the high press, the defenders need to carry the ball and not off load as soon as. Brentford are the team that do it so well. But if you watch how they do it they would carry if not challenged and compact the formation. Instead we had a defence in old skool 4-4-2 and the rest trying to do the high press resulting in a ridiculous space between the two.

As for Dozzell, looked great didn't he? Albeit late on in a lost game. Good job PH didn't send him on loan as intended......
In the cold light of day....... on 14:49 - Oct 3 with 1097 viewscbower

In the cold light of day....... on 13:26 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

This is a fact that many are struggling to understand. None of the good players that left in the summer wanted to be here.

Accepted - but why did they want to leave? Money probably but perhaps something to do with the new manager and how MM was treated? Webster, Garner and Waghorn. Total cost 2 million max. Money received for them 8-9 million. Hurst then spends 2 million on Nolan and Nsiala, 1.6 million on Jackson, 750K on Edwards and eventually another 750K on Donacien. That's 5 million spent. Jesus, MM barely got a couple of million over five years and we managed to be top half more often than not. Hurst has, quite literally, splurged the money he has had and significantly weakened the team. What is more, he knows it now and panics with poor loanees. Even if a manager like MM had lost Waggy, Garner, McG and Webster, I am damn sure he would have got in better replacements than Hurst (as his record proved) and I it would have been interesting to say what he would have recruited with the 5 million that Hurst has blown. Hurst has made a pig's bum of it and I thought he had a really great opportunity here.

bluescouser

In the cold light of day....... on 15:00 - Oct 3 with 1085 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 14:49 - Oct 3 by cbower

Accepted - but why did they want to leave? Money probably but perhaps something to do with the new manager and how MM was treated? Webster, Garner and Waghorn. Total cost 2 million max. Money received for them 8-9 million. Hurst then spends 2 million on Nolan and Nsiala, 1.6 million on Jackson, 750K on Edwards and eventually another 750K on Donacien. That's 5 million spent. Jesus, MM barely got a couple of million over five years and we managed to be top half more often than not. Hurst has, quite literally, splurged the money he has had and significantly weakened the team. What is more, he knows it now and panics with poor loanees. Even if a manager like MM had lost Waggy, Garner, McG and Webster, I am damn sure he would have got in better replacements than Hurst (as his record proved) and I it would have been interesting to say what he would have recruited with the 5 million that Hurst has blown. Hurst has made a pig's bum of it and I thought he had a really great opportunity here.

There is no defending Hurst when it comes to his transfer dealings. They may well come good, but as it stands, with the exception of Edwards, they don't look up to the standard required.
In the cold light of day....... on 15:21 - Oct 3 with 1062 viewssotd78

In the cold light of day....... on 12:27 - Oct 3 by TractorWood

I stopped reading at Chambers - 7. The guy strolled out of his box, passed it to their best player (Stewart Downing), Chambers then proceeded to jockey Downing onto his wand of a left foot and he scored. Leading from the back is a bit pointless if you directly cause a goal.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:28]

Chambers was the best of our back four and considering yet again he is playing out of position a credit to himself and us.
If fans cannot see that then they clearly don't understand the game.

If we had decided to put him in the right position and built a defence around him then we would be infinitely better. To replace a left footed centre half with a donkey and effectively compromise two positions is madness.
To unload top strikers and replace with fools is madness.
To drop our only saleable asset and best goalie is madness

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

In the cold light of day....... on 15:36 - Oct 3 with 1057 viewsGuthrum

In the cold light of day....... on 12:16 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

Hurst has effectively torn up that we had (which wasn't particularly good) and started again.

Both patience and time are required, and should be given.

So why is there no sign of steady improvement, as one would expect with a project which is slowly coming together?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

In the cold light of day....... on 15:40 - Oct 3 with 1057 viewsITFCson

Gerken did nothing wrong...really??

First goal he just crumbled to the floor making no attempt to stop the shot

Second goal even worse, literally didn't move. Even I would be disappointed if I didn't save at least 1 of those.

How he is in ahead of Bart is nothing short of mind boggling
In the cold light of day....... on 16:13 - Oct 3 with 1037 viewsHennikerBlu

In the cold light of day....... on 15:21 - Oct 3 by sotd78

Chambers was the best of our back four and considering yet again he is playing out of position a credit to himself and us.
If fans cannot see that then they clearly don't understand the game.

If we had decided to put him in the right position and built a defence around him then we would be infinitely better. To replace a left footed centre half with a donkey and effectively compromise two positions is madness.
To unload top strikers and replace with fools is madness.
To drop our only saleable asset and best goalie is madness

I am a fan of Luke, but I think he would be the first to admit that was not one of his better games. I agree this is not the right position for him, however that does not excuse his errors and passing to the opposition, he had the opportunity to carry the ball further up, as a leader of the team, those errors are not going to inspire the less experienced players.

One of the first name on the team sheet for me.

[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 16:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024