Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the cold light of day....... 10:35 - Oct 3 with 5058 viewsNazemariner

I think it's always best to sleep on a result before expressing an opinion. You're a little more reasoned the next day, so here we go......

PH was very honest and accurate in his assessment. We started on the front foot, perhaps a little too much, as it was the press that undone our defence for the opening goal. Trevoh didn't really cover Skuse as he should of done, and the backline retreated, rather than going to the ball. There is an obvious lack of understanding between both CM's and both CB's due to them having not played together a great deal, and this is currently costing us dearly.

The second goal was clearly an error from our skipper. Firstly the pass, but then he failed to make any challenge, and allowed Downing the time to get the shot away. i'm not going to bash Chambers as he is the only defender we have who shows enough bravery to offer himself for the ball, something which is essential in the way PH wants to play.

Other than that Boro were half the team that i expected to see, and you could argue that once we pulled ourselves off the ropes, following the second goal, we were the more progressive team.

We don't have a striker. If we still had any of Garner, Waghorn or McG, then we would of got on the end of one of a handful of good balls into dangerous areas. The reason Freddie looked half decent last night was because he played in areas that a striker should play in, whereas the inexperience of Jackson led him to wander all over the park rather than hold a position.

All in all it was a positive display last night,. It seems a daft thing to say having lost and conceded 2 dreadful goals, but if the core of our team can actually develop an understanding then we will start to see some more positive results.

Gerken - Did nothing wrong, and made a couple of smart saves, but has the demeanor of a man that knows he shouldn't be in the team - 7

Donacien - Still finding his way in the team. Good one minute, dreadful the next - 6

Chambers - Led from the back as always and showed plenty of courage to get on the ball. Bad mistake for the 2nd - 7

Nsiala - A liability - 5

Knudsen - Defended well, b ut that's not enough in a modern day full back - 6

Skuse - Doesn't seem to know his role in the team currently - 6

Chalobah - Stood up and took some responsibilty when his team mates were lacking. Does struggle with his positioning though - 8

Graham - Was he on the pitch? - 4

Nolan - Another poor showing. Time to make way for Andre - 5

Ward - Industrious as always but very little final product - 6

Jackson - Needs someone to play off. Ran everywhere last night, but got little change from the man mountain defenders - 6

Edwards - Always looks lively even when he's looking tired :-( - 7
Sears - Made to look good by the abjectness of others. Love Freddie though - 7
Dozzell - cometh the hour, cometh the man - 7

All opinions expressed are my own :-) Thanks for reading.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:03 - Oct 3 with 3748 viewsGuthrum

So we put in a lot of individual effort, but were ragged and disorganised, two months into the season (including an international break). How long are we to wait for things to start coming together?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

In the cold light of day....... on 12:16 - Oct 3 with 3711 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:03 - Oct 3 by Guthrum

So we put in a lot of individual effort, but were ragged and disorganised, two months into the season (including an international break). How long are we to wait for things to start coming together?

Hurst has effectively torn up that we had (which wasn't particularly good) and started again.

Both patience and time are required, and should be given.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:18 - Oct 3 with 3702 viewsBigalhunter

In the cold light of day....... on 12:16 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

Hurst has effectively torn up that we had (which wasn't particularly good) and started again.

Both patience and time are required, and should be given.

What we had was infinitely better than our current busker's cap of loose change.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:20 - Oct 3 with 3694 viewsStokieBlue

7 for Chambers is crazy in my opinion.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

In the cold light of day....... on 12:21 - Oct 3 with 3686 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:18 - Oct 3 by Bigalhunter

What we had was infinitely better than our current busker's cap of loose change.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there is no doubt that we would be doing better with Webster and anyone of the strikers we let go, rather than the replacements Hurst has bought in.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:23 - Oct 3 with 3669 viewsLankHenners

It was as right last night as it is now - some nice spells against a team 2-0 up and sitting back allowing us to attack them doesn't count as a 'positive display'.

Every game now it's 'if this' 'if that'. We can't keep saying that.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

In the cold light of day....... on 12:26 - Oct 3 with 3645 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:20 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

SB

CB is (was) my position.

With the exception of "that pass" Chambers did a lot of things well.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:27 - Oct 3 with 3634 viewsTractorWood

I stopped reading at Chambers - 7. The guy strolled out of his box, passed it to their best player (Stewart Downing), Chambers then proceeded to jockey Downing onto his wand of a left foot and he scored. Leading from the back is a bit pointless if you directly cause a goal.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:28]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

In the cold light of day....... on 12:28 - Oct 3 with 3623 viewsSuperblue95

Most your ratings are at least 2 points too high.

You've also called Nsiala a liability when he was our best defender.

6 for Ward. Not even going there.

8 for Chalobah hahahahahaha

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

In the cold light of day....... on 12:28 - Oct 3 with 3607 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:23 - Oct 3 by LankHenners

It was as right last night as it is now - some nice spells against a team 2-0 up and sitting back allowing us to attack them doesn't count as a 'positive display'.

Every game now it's 'if this' 'if that'. We can't keep saying that.

We are not going to outplay a team with the quality of Boro. You have to take the positives where you can find them.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:30 - Oct 3 with 3592 viewslowhouseblue

looking moderately ok AFTER you've conceded two and the game is to all intents and purposes over isn't that difficult. but we never caused them any problems, which I understand is the aim.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

In the cold light of day....... on 12:31 - Oct 3 with 3580 viewsStokieBlue

In the cold light of day....... on 12:26 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

CB is (was) my position.

With the exception of "that pass" Chambers did a lot of things well.

All his passing was atrocious.

In the space of 2 minutes in the second half he miss-hit a left foot hoof forward under no pressure which directly resulted in them getting in behind and nearly a corner and also a 5m hospital pass to Chalobah on the halfway line which would have been a disaster but Chalobah managed to wiggle free and then get fouled (well it was a foul but can't remember if it was given).

He was awful. His passing cost us possession all the time and lead directly to numerous attempts and a goal. He seems to have a free pass with some people though whilst Nsiala who was actually better on the night is getting hammered.

Why did you classify Nsiala at 5 and Chambers at 7?

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:32]

In the cold light of day....... on 12:34 - Oct 3 with 3549 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:31 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

All his passing was atrocious.

In the space of 2 minutes in the second half he miss-hit a left foot hoof forward under no pressure which directly resulted in them getting in behind and nearly a corner and also a 5m hospital pass to Chalobah on the halfway line which would have been a disaster but Chalobah managed to wiggle free and then get fouled (well it was a foul but can't remember if it was given).

He was awful. His passing cost us possession all the time and lead directly to numerous attempts and a goal. He seems to have a free pass with some people though whilst Nsiala who was actually better on the night is getting hammered.

Why did you classify Nsiala at 5 and Chambers at 7?

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 12:32]

We are going to have to agree to disagree i'm afraid.

Although Chambers was not not at his best, he did have the courage to present himself for the ball and try and play. Nsiala, on the other hand, is a League 1 stopper at best, who undoubtedly needs dropping for Pennington.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:37 - Oct 3 with 3521 viewsTractorWood

In the cold light of day....... on 12:34 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

Although Chambers was not not at his best, he did have the courage to present himself for the ball and try and play. Nsiala, on the other hand, is a League 1 stopper at best, who undoubtedly needs dropping for Pennington.

Having the courage to play is again pointless if you can't play.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

In the cold light of day....... on 12:37 - Oct 3 with 3519 viewsthebooks

I think that's a good analysis of the tactics (you're right, we were really pressing to start with, and that's what undone us).

I'd disagree on a few things, though. Sears isn't an out and out striker. So, he did move around a bit more than Jackson, but a lot of the time it was into deep spaces, which meant no-one was left in the penalty area.

I don't think it was positive. We don't have the players to get us back into the game after going 2-0 down, and what we chose to do was wrong. Boro won very comfortably and could have stepped up if they wanted to.

Signings like Nolan and Nsiala just don't look up to it to me. Even the popular Edwards hasn't done that much. Chalobah was great, though. And Dozzell looked sharp (certainly more effective than Nolan).

Of course if they develop an understanding they'll get better results. But it doesn't seem to be happening. And just how good will those results be over a season?
In the cold light of day....... on 12:37 - Oct 3 with 3518 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:28 - Oct 3 by Superblue95

Most your ratings are at least 2 points too high.

You've also called Nsiala a liability when he was our best defender.

6 for Ward. Not even going there.

8 for Chalobah hahahahahaha

Maybe i was a little generous, but i am a glass half full kinda guy.

As for the rest of your post, it is clear we see the game of football very differently.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:37 - Oct 3 with 3510 viewsStokieBlue

In the cold light of day....... on 12:34 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

Totally disagree.

Chambers was the root cause of a number of issues last night.

We will have to disagree as you've said.

SB

In the cold light of day....... on 12:40 - Oct 3 with 3481 viewsPositivelyPortman

SB

Ludicrous giving Chambers a 7.
He was very poor and the pass straight to Downing was Conference level.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

In the cold light of day....... on 12:41 - Oct 3 with 3465 viewsHennikerBlu

SB

I agree, I am a fan of Chambers, but without being pedantic (as it matters not now) his mistake was bizarre as he was under no pressure and could have carried the ball (ala Brentford) and he gifted them another arguably better opportunity in in the second half.

I actually don't think we have enough quality to do this high-press for 90+mins, it works in phases, but too often it looks ragged and we get picked off. Time for a pragmatic and disciplined approach and shape for a few games.

Sears, looked better, is this a reflection of the quality we have lost? He wanders too much to the flanks when we really needed a goal hanger option for late in the game. Ian Marshall where are you ;)
In the cold light of day....... on 12:43 - Oct 3 with 3445 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:37 - Oct 3 by TractorWood

Having the courage to play is again pointless if you can't play.

I take your point, but this is the championship, and CB's with those qualities are few and far between.
In the cold light of day....... on 12:51 - Oct 3 with 3393 viewssouthnorfolkblue

You say that all in all it was a positive display but then say that Sears was made to look good by the abjectness of others, so I’m not sure where your positivity is coming from.. What was positive about last night? We lost comfortably to a side that couldn’t win at a Hull and lost away at a bang average Norwich side. We have relegation written all over us.

Poll: Our final position

In the cold light of day....... on 13:20 - Oct 3 with 3305 viewsSouperJim

In the cold light of day....... on 12:43 - Oct 3 by Nazemariner

I take your point, but this is the championship, and CB's with those qualities are few and far between.

If only we had a CB more comfortable on the ball, a player like Adam Webster say...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

In the cold light of day....... on 13:21 - Oct 3 with 3281 viewsStokieBlue

In the cold light of day....... on 13:20 - Oct 3 by SouperJim

If only we had a CB more comfortable on the ball, a player like Adam Webster say...

You mean a player that couldn't wait to leave?

I agree we could do with him but he didn't want to be here.

SB

In the cold light of day....... on 13:25 - Oct 3 with 3256 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 12:51 - Oct 3 by southnorfolkblue

You say that all in all it was a positive display but then say that Sears was made to look good by the abjectness of others, so I’m not sure where your positivity is coming from.. What was positive about last night? We lost comfortably to a side that couldn’t win at a Hull and lost away at a bang average Norwich side. We have relegation written all over us.

It's going to be a long season that's for sure, but i believe we have a 16th place finish in us, and that must be considered a success.

Although I'll bite your arm off for 21st as we stand.
In the cold light of day....... on 13:26 - Oct 3 with 3244 viewsNazemariner

In the cold light of day....... on 13:21 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

You mean a player that couldn't wait to leave?

I agree we could do with him but he didn't want to be here.

SB

This is a fact that many are struggling to understand. None of the good players that left in the summer wanted to be here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024