Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newbie here - with a burning question.......... 12:52 - Aug 6 with 1884 viewsBlueDiamond

Well I think it is burning....you may think, meh!

Why do the 'experts' have us down for relegation? Seriously what can they see that we can't?

Mid table last season with a transfer budget of 48p, why do they think we will go down??? And this was before Waghorn was scheduled to leave.

Do they have some sort of computer into which they throw all the facts and it comes out with an answer?? Because I simply don't get it...............
Lazy punditry on 12:53 - Aug 6 with 1863 viewsDyland

They don't do any actual analysis into each club.

More to the point, what's your favourite cheese?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 12:56 - Aug 6 with 1826 viewsArcher4721

Because someone has to go down and us with a team of 1st and 2nd division players look prime candidates, but we all know it rarely works like that.

I shouldn’t let it bother you.
Lazy punditry on 12:57 - Aug 6 with 1807 viewsBlueDiamond

Lazy punditry on 12:53 - Aug 6 by Dyland

They don't do any actual analysis into each club.

More to the point, what's your favourite cheese?

But why are they all guessing the same?

And Jarlsberg. :)
Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 12:59 - Aug 6 with 1794 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mainly the lack of Mick McCarthy I think.

Lazy pundits seem to think he was all we had.

I wouldnt read too much into us having players with only championship and lower league experience..... as that also applies to lots of other teams in this league!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 12:59 - Aug 6 with 1784 viewsBlueDiamond

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 12:56 - Aug 6 by Archer4721

Because someone has to go down and us with a team of 1st and 2nd division players look prime candidates, but we all know it rarely works like that.

I shouldn’t let it bother you.

Everything bothers me.

As such I hope to bring a healthy level of anxiety to the forum! :)
Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:01 - Aug 6 with 1762 viewsbluewein

The simple answer is that there are no real "experts" about anything outside of the prem.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the season doesn't start until this weekend, such is the lack of interest in the Championship apart from Lampards Derby County.

Ask yourself why Soccer Saturday started at 2pm this week instead of the normal noon start. It's because, although they roll out the odd cliche about how competitive the championship is, they don't actually have anyone who can look at that league and really know what they're talking about. Granted, the three hours when they talk about the Prem isn't much better but it goes to show which "model" (urrgh) is favoured and always will be.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:01 - Aug 6 with 1760 viewsArcher4721

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 12:59 - Aug 6 by BlueDiamond

Everything bothers me.

As such I hope to bring a healthy level of anxiety to the forum! :)

Good luck with that!
Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:05 - Aug 6 with 1719 viewsBlueDiamond

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:01 - Aug 6 by bluewein

The simple answer is that there are no real "experts" about anything outside of the prem.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the season doesn't start until this weekend, such is the lack of interest in the Championship apart from Lampards Derby County.

Ask yourself why Soccer Saturday started at 2pm this week instead of the normal noon start. It's because, although they roll out the odd cliche about how competitive the championship is, they don't actually have anyone who can look at that league and really know what they're talking about. Granted, the three hours when they talk about the Prem isn't much better but it goes to show which "model" (urrgh) is favoured and always will be.

Yes fair point well made!

But there is such uniformity about our chances across pundits and bookies that I have to allow myself a bit of a worry!!
Login to get fewer ads

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:15 - Aug 6 with 1665 viewsDarth_Koont

I think it's a slight misuse of the data.

The numbers (football budget, projected goals or whatever) do contain reliable patterns but aren't actually that good at predicting what individual clubs will do.

So putting us into a ranking of 24 teams is fine as a best guess for the division as a whole but that's probably not going to help define our finishing position when we have done (and look like continuing doing) a lot of things different from other clubs on and off the pitch.

Pronouns: He/Him

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:18 - Aug 6 with 1637 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably got something to do with us knocking on the door of the bottom 3 in terms of income, budgets, spending. And then selling or being linked with selling our best players. And replacing with L2 players or the yoof. On paper that's a recipe for disaster. Luckily we play on grass and if Hursty can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts we shouldn't be in trouble.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:20 - Aug 6 with 1604 viewsFreddies_Ears

Welcome to this wonderful board! There were a lot of pundits who considered that Mick worked miracles here, so, now he's gone, we'll struggle. We might, but more likely Hurst will blend existing experienced pros, youngsters and some of the best players from the lower leagues to magic us to mid-table.
Lazy punditry on 13:23 - Aug 6 with 1567 viewsfooters

Lazy punditry on 12:57 - Aug 6 by BlueDiamond

But why are they all guessing the same?

And Jarlsberg. :)

Here's an industry insider's view: we're all really fcking lazy! Most journos when asked to write an article will Google it, find similar articles and copy. Some have more pride and do thorough research, but to be frank, most aren't on enough money to care.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:34 - Aug 6 with 1532 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich are (and to some extent always have been) an unfashionable team, based in (to metropolitan media types) an obscure and rustic part of the country. We haven't played in "football" (aka the Prem) for a long time. We let go the bloke they'd heard of and got in some manager they hadn't. We're not competing for properly expensive players they already know about. Our owner is not some raving loon, good for column inches or bizarre behaviour.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:35 - Aug 6 with 1525 viewsOldsmoker

I asked myself the same question a few weeks back.
I googled the predictions for 2017/2018 and no surprise they got it wrong.
Sunderland were considered mid-table - relegated.
No one picked Cardiff but they were correct regarding Wolves who spent a fortune.
Fulham were seen as top six and Millwall and Sheff Utd were seen as strugglers.
There is no big six or struggling newly promoted teams like there is in the Premiership.
It's the Championship - the most competitive league in the world.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 14:00 - Aug 6 with 1449 viewsKitman

Newbie here - with a burning question.......... on 13:34 - Aug 6 by Guthrum

Ipswich are (and to some extent always have been) an unfashionable team, based in (to metropolitan media types) an obscure and rustic part of the country. We haven't played in "football" (aka the Prem) for a long time. We let go the bloke they'd heard of and got in some manager they hadn't. We're not competing for properly expensive players they already know about. Our owner is not some raving loon, good for column inches or bizarre behaviour.

on the other hand should our owner be a raving loon, he is very good at hiding it!!

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024