Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hellish return trip from Moscow 08:23 - Jul 13 with 2765 viewsitfcjoe

Not me fortunately, I had a lovely day yesterday with a stopover in Milan and a visit to lake Como for lunch - flight there was a bit dodgy when we were due to land less than 4 hours before kick off and we were stacked around landing for nearly an hour landing just after 6pm and less than 3 hours to kick off.....

The 2 mates we travelled with had return flights via Bratislava - leaving Moscow at 5.10pm, they were at the airport, checked in etc and were running a little late but got to the desk just behind a couple being boarded. Went to hand their passports over and the woman walked away with the sheet of paper, ignored them, and when she came back told them that they'd missed the flight as were 1 minute late. Before marking everyone down as arriving at 5.10pm, apart from them which she wrote down 5.11pm.

Point blank refused to fly so had to go and sort out other flights.

Most flights were £500 plus, so they found one for £260 which has involved them travelling 600km east to Nizhy Novgorod, then from there to Corfu, then home with a total of 9 hours fly time - and on a propeller from Moscow to Nizhy on a plane from before the wall came down.

I woke up this morning and checked phone, and they've now been delayed at Nizhy for 3 1/2 hours, and their connection at Corfu is only 3 hours so they've now missed that flight.

Apparently single flights can be booked from Corfu to home for £70 but they won't be able to book anything until they get there as can't get any info as to when this flight is going to take off....!

Poor guys, can't be much fun!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:27 - Jul 13 with 2732 viewsKieran_Knows

That sounds a bloody nightmare!

Hope you had a good time though (other than the result of course).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:29 - Jul 13 with 2715 viewsm14_blue

Glad you went Joe?
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:30 - Jul 13 with 2713 viewsitfcjoe

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:29 - Jul 13 by m14_blue

Glad you went Joe?

Definitely, it was a fantastic experience and really crammed a lot into a very short break.

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:33 - Jul 13 with 2685 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So they're not coming home either!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:33 - Jul 13 with 2685 viewsm14_blue

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:30 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Definitely, it was a fantastic experience and really crammed a lot into a very short break.

Superb.

Such a shame we couldn't see it through but what a ride they gave us.
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:52 - Jul 13 with 2605 viewsCurrie10

Glad you went mate and got in okay :) !
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 08:55 - Jul 13 with 2594 viewsartsbossbeard

Jeez, what a kerfuffle!

Personally, I'd have a weekend in Corfu now and fly back on Monday. Wives/kids/Work permitting, of course.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 09:58 - Jul 13 with 2450 viewsGuthrum

I'd have just got on a train heading west and flown home from somewhere like Vilnius. Wouldn't have taken that many more hours and probably cheaper.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 10:10 - Jul 13 with 2413 viewsTractorWood

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 09:58 - Jul 13 by Guthrum

I'd have just got on a train heading west and flown home from somewhere like Vilnius. Wouldn't have taken that many more hours and probably cheaper.

Agree. I'd go West and aim to for the next journey to get me closer to London. Major hubs like Milan, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Munich, Warsaw would be the aim.

Must be really hard not to panic. I've done lots of England away games and try to use one flight with trains. Generally, trying to combine low cost carriers is a false economy as one leg will probably be delayed, cancelled and have no transfer infrastructure.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 10:15 - Jul 13 with 2389 viewsbrazil1982

Certainly sounds like an adventure, but not when you just want to get home and you've lost.

What was the general atmosphere like in Moscow? Was it football mad?
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 10:54 - Jul 13 with 2284 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

She must have been on her period
on 11:09 - Jul 13 with 2244 views_

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 10:54 - Jul 13 by FrowsyArmLarry

She must have been on her period

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 12:43 - Jul 13 with 2116 viewsitfcjoe

Update - they've just landed in Corfu.

Further update - booked Easyjet flight that gets into Gatwick at midnight tonight
[Post edited 13 Jul 2018 12:51]

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 14:27 - Jul 13 with 1988 viewssoupytwist

Hellish return trip from Moscow on 09:58 - Jul 13 by Guthrum

Just spent a while looking at the options on the excellent www.seat61.com

The sleeper from Moscow to Helsinki looks quite civilised and the Moscow Tallinn one looks bearable too.
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 18:37 - Jul 13 with 1820 viewsCrofty

I'm pleased now we paid slightly more to book a flex flight with Swiss Air via Geneva.

It's a nightmare when all you want to do is get home and can't because of delays.
Hellish return trip from Moscow on 19:30 - Jul 13 with 1778 viewsitfcjoe

Further update, they’ve had a good time in Corfu, hired a boat etc.

Just got back to airport and flight home delayed 2 hours so won’t be home now until 2am.......!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024