Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! 09:45 - Jun 28 with 7775 viewsNazemariner

It seems that the majority feel he was overrated and injury prone, and that we are wise to cash in. Is this peoples way of softening the blow? As i can only see that we've lost a young, talented, ball playing defender, the likes of which we have not seen at our club for nigh on 20 years.

I am proper annoyed at this, and will be seriously fuming if we don't have a top notch replacement lined up.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:37 - Jun 28 with 3539 viewsAshFinland

I think there are two separate points to be addressed here.

1. “Webster is overrated.” Well, this is subjective. I personally think he has the potential to become a very decent centre half, but - at this stage - there is still much to work on (concentration, positional sense, physical strength).

2. “Webster is injury-prone.” He IS! I think somebody posted his appearance record for us yesterday and - as I suspected - he has spent literally half of his time over the past two seasons out injured. Talented he might be, but there is absolutely no point in our hanging on to players who seemingly can’t stay fit. Surely we have learnt that over the last couple of years? As such, the amount of money offered represents excellent business. Let’s see who Paul Hurst brings in over the coming weeks.

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of."

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:39 - Jun 28 with 3535 viewsGuthrum

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:35 - Jun 28 by Townly

Every post forecasting our potential line up for next season had Webster firmly placed in the centre of defence.

Now posters are picking holes in him.

Considering all, including money into the coffers, his sale may turn out to be a brilliant piece of business.

It could though come back to bite us in the bum. With deductions and sell-ons and ME's share being deducted it might not amount to much money initially so it's up to Hurst to use it wisely.

That was largely because we had very few options to choose from in that department. Chambers, (formerly) Webster, (now) Chalobah, Knudsen (on loan from left back, if still here) and a selection of Youths.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:43 - Jun 28 with 3527 viewsHennikerBlu

The posts I have read generally say similar things yes great potential, but injury prone. I also would be happy for him to stay, but he has struggled defensively and takes one or two games to get back into the rhythm. I also made the point that I think he is a potential John Stones of the future.

However, JS does not play as much as he should, so perhaps AW will make it in the Prem' where they can afford that luxury of letting players come back more gradually from injuries, much harder in the Championship with less dosh and you will have to have good cover available which is of course not free.

Let me repeat, I would be happy for him to stay, but as to his future prospects that is all speculative, Mings being another example and he is yet to be a Prem regular (played 26 times for Bournemouth). Surprised you have not mentioned Cresswell who has had three full England caps, superb player, I would rate him as one of the best in recent years. For me I would like us to get our midfield sorted and a more pace in the side, if this money helps us to do that, then all well and good.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:51 - Jun 28 with 3520 viewsCaptainObvious

A significant amount of fans believe supporting the club means praising or justifying every decision, so you will find a lot of people suddenly citing his negative aspects just because he is leaving. If he was not leaving they would be saying how good he was.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:51 - Jun 28 with 3517 viewshomer_123

He clearly suffers more than his fair share of injuries.

I don't think we've seen the best of him for this reason. That said, it's a decent fee for one of our more saleable assets.

It's certainly no surprise we've sold him, Evans has stated that the financials of the Club an dhow we approach funding is staying the same as it was under Mick. Given we've sold more tan we've spent, we can easily see why he's been sold.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:59 - Jun 28 with 3503 viewsHerbivore

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:58 - Jun 28 by Nazemariner

I have left PR having watched his better performances and thought future England international.

Future England international? I really can't see that to be honest and it's telling that no Prem side has sought to come in with a cheeky bid after Brizzle have gone in for him. He has ability and potential but he has spent half his time here injured having been injured prior to signing here too. That is a worry, can he actually hack a full season? He's also had as many bad games here as good, several goals last season could be attributed to him which is fair enough as he's relatively young but still, let's not make out he's been outshining his colleagues regularly. I see it as fairly 50/50 whether he will go beyond this level given his injury record and propensity for runs of games where he looks vulnerable. If the fee enables Hurst to bring in his own players then it's a good bit of business for me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 11:00 - Jun 28 with 3498 views_

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:59 - Jun 28 by Herbivore

Future England international? I really can't see that to be honest and it's telling that no Prem side has sought to come in with a cheeky bid after Brizzle have gone in for him. He has ability and potential but he has spent half his time here injured having been injured prior to signing here too. That is a worry, can he actually hack a full season? He's also had as many bad games here as good, several goals last season could be attributed to him which is fair enough as he's relatively young but still, let's not make out he's been outshining his colleagues regularly. I see it as fairly 50/50 whether he will go beyond this level given his injury record and propensity for runs of games where he looks vulnerable. If the fee enables Hurst to bring in his own players then it's a good bit of business for me.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 11:36 - Jun 28 with 3466 viewsitfcjoe

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:34 - Jun 28 by maccyd9

Joe you commented countless times last season that he always has a mistake in him.

Let's not all pretend that Webster is now the best thing since sliced bread. He's inconsistent, injury prone and has everything to prove.

When he first joined I felt he made a lot of mistakes, but this season when firing he was starting to look really good - issue he had is with injuries (clearly) and was often it seemed playing himself back into full fitness.

I personally wouldn't have sold him -p but until it all plays out we don't know whether it was a good decision or not. Hopefully Hurst has a bit of bargaining power to get more money out of Evans and reinvest the fees a bit more.

I just think it's funny that Webster was a player the majority of people were looking forward to seeing under Hurst to now a number of people being almost glad to be shot of him! I appreciate a few on here like yourself, Clive Baker, Herbivore were never totally sold on him but seems as though everyone is now in that camp.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 11:37 - Jun 28 with 3464 viewsitfcjoe

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:37 - Jun 28 by AshFinland

I think there are two separate points to be addressed here.

1. “Webster is overrated.” Well, this is subjective. I personally think he has the potential to become a very decent centre half, but - at this stage - there is still much to work on (concentration, positional sense, physical strength).

2. “Webster is injury-prone.” He IS! I think somebody posted his appearance record for us yesterday and - as I suspected - he has spent literally half of his time over the past two seasons out injured. Talented he might be, but there is absolutely no point in our hanging on to players who seemingly can’t stay fit. Surely we have learnt that over the last couple of years? As such, the amount of money offered represents excellent business. Let’s see who Paul Hurst brings in over the coming weeks.

The only thing with regards to being injury prone - si that it's clear that the club felt there has been issues with squad management abd fitness training, and probably worth giving all these IP players a chance to prove themselves under Hurst's new regime before writing them off.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 12:29 - Jun 28 with 3426 viewsmaccyd9

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 11:36 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

When he first joined I felt he made a lot of mistakes, but this season when firing he was starting to look really good - issue he had is with injuries (clearly) and was often it seemed playing himself back into full fitness.

I personally wouldn't have sold him -p but until it all plays out we don't know whether it was a good decision or not. Hopefully Hurst has a bit of bargaining power to get more money out of Evans and reinvest the fees a bit more.

I just think it's funny that Webster was a player the majority of people were looking forward to seeing under Hurst to now a number of people being almost glad to be shot of him! I appreciate a few on here like yourself, Clive Baker, Herbivore were never totally sold on him but seems as though everyone is now in that camp.

I think that those talking him down might just see it as good business as opposed to wanting rid of him.

I wouldn't have taken £2m for example as I can appreciate his potential alone should be worth more than that.

But that deal appears good to me but only if Hurst can re-invest which I think will be the case. If we can get say Nsiala (as an obvious example) then we would have Knudsen, Chambo, Nsiala, Chalobah to choose from as CB's with Spence, Woolfenden, Smith if needed.

That said, I'd ideally like us to sign two more. As I say, I wasn't sold totally on Webster but how good the business is will be dictated by incomings.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 12:50 - Jun 28 with 3406 viewsitfcjoe

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 12:29 - Jun 28 by maccyd9

I think that those talking him down might just see it as good business as opposed to wanting rid of him.

I wouldn't have taken £2m for example as I can appreciate his potential alone should be worth more than that.

But that deal appears good to me but only if Hurst can re-invest which I think will be the case. If we can get say Nsiala (as an obvious example) then we would have Knudsen, Chambo, Nsiala, Chalobah to choose from as CB's with Spence, Woolfenden, Smith if needed.

That said, I'd ideally like us to sign two more. As I say, I wasn't sold totally on Webster but how good the business is will be dictated by incomings.

I think we need (and will get) 2 more, hopefully soon as this training camp in Spain seems very important for Hurst and how he gets his players to level of fitness required

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 12:59 - Jun 28 with 3391 viewsHerbivore

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 11:36 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't say I was never sold on him, and to be honest I wouldn't have been unhappy had we decided not to take the offer for him. What I do feel is that he is a risk, lots of potential (as yet mainly unfulfilled) but very injury prone and with areas that still need a fair bit of work if he's ever to be a Prem player. It's a gamble, we turn it down and essentially we're taking the risk that he will come good and stay fit. As it is Brizzle are the ones taking the punt and we've got good money for him that can (hopefully) be reinvested in the squad. On balance I think we've made the right call, especially as him being a success there brings us a big wad of extra cash.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 13:10 - Jun 28 with 3383 viewsITFCed

The reason why Webster is dividing opinion is because of Mick. Webster is clearly a talented player but he was held back by Mick as Mick would not let him play his natural game. If Hurst had kept him, then he would have had a great season at town.

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

on 13:12 - Jun 28 with 3377 views_

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 13:10 - Jun 28 by ITFCed

The reason why Webster is dividing opinion is because of Mick. Webster is clearly a talented player but he was held back by Mick as Mick would not let him play his natural game. If Hurst had kept him, then he would have had a great season at town.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 13:25 - Jun 28 with 3366 viewsitfcjoe

on 13:12 - Jun 28 by _

Especially because in this case Mick signed a player that had been in and out of a L2 side for £700k and he has now been sold for £3.5m and rising - you'd think he deserves credit for that!

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 13:46 - Jun 28 with 3334 viewsPJH

So Hurst selling him makes no sense then.
Why sell someone that is (apparently) about to have a great season for you?

I think selling Webster is a mistake but we will see.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 14:03 - Jun 28 with 3315 viewsHerbivore

Ha! You got a couple of bites, so well done.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 14:30]

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 14:07 - Jun 28 with 3311 viewsGuthrum

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 12:29 - Jun 28 by maccyd9

I'd have been quite happy to see him stay, is decent enough for a Championship team - if rather injury prone. Just don't see the game-changing, ball-playing brilliant defender that so many others appear to. If Webster really was that, he'd have had more impact on how Ipswich performed. As it was, people were still muttering about not having replaced Berra.

I think that many are going off the buzz-word reputation (same as those at Bristol who hired him), rather than the reality on the pitch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 14:23 - Jun 28 with 3302 viewsrickw

I think Hurst knows several lower league players that £3m+ can go on who will improve the team far more than with Webster staying. I'm not sure if Webster has improved since we spent 700k on a defender with potential - arguably he's still the same isn't he?

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 14:32 - Jun 28 with 3294 viewsHerbivore

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 14:23 - Jun 28 by rickw

I think Hurst knows several lower league players that £3m+ can go on who will improve the team far more than with Webster staying. I'm not sure if Webster has improved since we spent 700k on a defender with potential - arguably he's still the same isn't he?

Yes. Injuries have hampered his progress but the fee for him is very much based on his potential rather than his current level. They've paid 5 times what we did for the same potential really, and it could be a lot more than that if his potential is fulfilled.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 16:28 - Jun 28 with 3271 viewsBluefish

It is pretty obvious that there is a determined effort to say everything Hurst does is amazing. In one way that is great but I fear some people are doing it more to say how much they hated the last chap. The worry is that if things turn sour with Hurst the reaction could be extreme.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 16:37 - Jun 28 with 3265 viewsPJH

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 16:28 - Jun 28 by Bluefish

It is pretty obvious that there is a determined effort to say everything Hurst does is amazing. In one way that is great but I fear some people are doing it more to say how much they hated the last chap. The worry is that if things turn sour with Hurst the reaction could be extreme.

It does seem to me that everything that the "boy wonder" that we have now got does is seen as a stroke of genius(possibly it is)and I also think that is largely because that is the only way left to them to have a dig at MM.

It could be that Paul Hurst turns out to be a good manager of this club but if it does go wrong I think it will take a lot for his new found disciples to turn so I do not agree with your last sentence.

I will split the downvotes with you.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 16:52 - Jun 28 with 3247 viewsBluefish

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 16:37 - Jun 28 by PJH

It does seem to me that everything that the "boy wonder" that we have now got does is seen as a stroke of genius(possibly it is)and I also think that is largely because that is the only way left to them to have a dig at MM.

It could be that Paul Hurst turns out to be a good manager of this club but if it does go wrong I think it will take a lot for his new found disciples to turn so I do not agree with your last sentence.

I will split the downvotes with you.

You are a good man pjh, very honourable of you. I don't even click on the arrows so they don't bother me in the slightest.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 18:04 - Jun 28 with 3212 viewsbraveblue

Totally agree. He is being slagged off because he left. Easily our best defender and could have played a big part next year. But anyone who can command a fee is up for grabs with Evans at the helm.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 18:33 - Jun 28 with 3193 viewsflimflam

From the sound bites it sounded like AW wanted to leave so not really sure what PH was meant to do as pretty sure he wants players who buy into what he wants to achieve.

8m with % sell on is a cracking deal for someone who may not ever make it although I think if he stays injury free could end up in a mid table premiership team.
But he could also do a Mings.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024