Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nyan Mesuria 16:49 - Apr 30 with 7829 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

I saw an article 12-18 months ago saying Town had a young (14-15 y/o?) Indian player on their books, tipped to be the first Indian superstar player.

Is he still at the club does anyone know, or what's his situation?
Nyan Mesuria on 16:52 - Apr 30 with 7314 viewsitfcjoe

He's an U15, will be an U16 next year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nyan Mesuria on 16:54 - Apr 30 with 7288 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Nyan Mesuria on 16:52 - Apr 30 by itfcjoe

He's an U15, will be an U16 next year

Still with the club then? Good to hear, hopefully we can keep him and turn him into a first team player if he lives up to the hype.
Nyan Mesuria on 17:02 - Apr 30 with 7248 viewsconnorscontract

That's a lot of pressure on a schoolkid: look at how few of our 2005 FA Youth Cup winning team actually made it.

If he goes on to have as good a career at Town as, say, Matt Richards he will have done significantly better than 80% of Academy players.
Nyan Mesuria on 09:37 - May 1 with 6900 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

There is a short video about him on the link below:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723416-could-14-year-old-nyan-mesuria-become
Nyan Mesuria on 09:52 - May 1 with 6871 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 17:02 - Apr 30 by connorscontract

That's a lot of pressure on a schoolkid: look at how few of our 2005 FA Youth Cup winning team actually made it.

If he goes on to have as good a career at Town as, say, Matt Richards he will have done significantly better than 80% of Academy players.

Absolutely.

The level of drop-out of young players is massive. Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18.

Look at this list of players. They have all debuted for ITFC under the age of 20 in the past 15 years. How many of them made it, either with us or at a higher level? It's a scary prospect. (Loanees are marked with an asterisk)

16 YO:
Connor Wickham 5855 days (on debut)
Byron Lawrence 5891
Darryl Knights 6048
Andre Dozzell 6194

17 YO:
Owen Garvan 6399
Liam Trotter 6458
Danny Haynes 6458
Tristan Nydam 6489
Josh Carson 6498
Jordan Rhodes 6529
Ainsley Maitland-Niles 6553*
Billy Clarke 6560
Josh Emmanuel 6564

18 YO:
Teddy Bishop 6620
Dean Bowditch 6628
Chris Casement 6640
Jaime Peters 6669
Shane Supple 6676
Matt Clarke 6691
Tommy Smith 6706
Billy Clark 6753
Elliott Hewitt 6767
Tom Eastman 6768
Flynn Downes 6790
Jack Marriott 6812
Ben Morris 6825
Jordan Graham 6852
Luke Hyam 6862
Ben Folami 6873
Aidan Collins 6888
Jack Ainsley 6899
Ronan Murray 6911
Simon Walton 6915
Adam McDonnell 6933

19 YO:
Sammy Moore 6956
Andros Townsend 6969*
Mark Noble 7043*
Barry Cotter 7067
Myles Kenlock 7092
Dean McDonald 7122
Reggie Lambe 7124
Luke Woolfenden 7129
Troy Brown 7167*
Matt Richards 7178
Reece Wabara 7217*
Jack Colback 7242*
Giovani dos Santos 7247*
Shane O'Connor 7252
Massimo Luongo 7267*
Matthew Bates 7284*
Callum Connolly 7291*

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Nyan Mesuria on 10:23 - May 1 with 6801 viewsmonty_radio

Nyan Mesuria on 09:52 - May 1 by Superfrans

Absolutely.

The level of drop-out of young players is massive. Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18.

Look at this list of players. They have all debuted for ITFC under the age of 20 in the past 15 years. How many of them made it, either with us or at a higher level? It's a scary prospect. (Loanees are marked with an asterisk)

16 YO:
Byron Lawrence 5891
Darryl Knights 6048
Andre Dozzell 6194

17 YO:
Owen Garvan 6399
Liam Trotter 6458
Danny Haynes 6458
Tristan Nydam 6489
Josh Carson 6498
Jordan Rhodes 6529
Billy Clarke 6560
Josh Emmanuel 6564

18 YO:
Teddy Bishop 6620
Dean Bowditch 6628
Chris Casement 6640
Jaime Peters 6669
Shane Supple 6676
Matt Clarke 6691
Tommy Smith 6706
Billy Clark 6753
Elliott Hewitt 6767
Tom Eastman 6768
Flynn Downes 6790
Jack Marriott 6812
Ben Morris 6825
Jordan Graham 6852
Luke Hyam 6862
Ben Folami 6873
Aidan Collins 6888
Jack Ainsley 6899
Ronan Murray 6911
Simon Walton 6915
Adam McDonnell 6933

19 YO:
Sammy Moore 6956
Andros Townsend 6969*
Mark Noble 7043*
Barry Cotter 7067
Myles Kenlock 7092
Dean McDonald 7122
Reggie Lambe 7124
Luke Woolfenden 7129
Troy Brown 7167*
Matt Richards 7178
Reece Wabara 7217*
Jack Colback 7242*
Giovani dos Santos 7247*
Shane O'Connor 7252
Massimo Luongo 7267*
Matthew Bates 7284*
Callum Connolly 7291*

While I couldn't disagree with your central point that there is a big drop-out rate, this list of players proves we don't do too badly, depending, of course, on your criterion.

There are approx 50 players there. Of that 50, and remembering that some still have time to stake their claim, only 10, by my reckoning, have failed to clock up at least 100 games at L2 standard, or above. I guess those who hoped for more, not least the players themseves, might have been disappointed to know, in advance, that such would be their standard, but it's not too shabby that only 20% of your Town list have failed to make some sort of mark in the professional game.

As I said, it depends on your criterion.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nyan Mesuria on 10:44 - May 1 with 6751 viewsITFC_Forever

Nyan Mesuria on 10:23 - May 1 by monty_radio

While I couldn't disagree with your central point that there is a big drop-out rate, this list of players proves we don't do too badly, depending, of course, on your criterion.

There are approx 50 players there. Of that 50, and remembering that some still have time to stake their claim, only 10, by my reckoning, have failed to clock up at least 100 games at L2 standard, or above. I guess those who hoped for more, not least the players themseves, might have been disappointed to know, in advance, that such would be their standard, but it's not too shabby that only 20% of your Town list have failed to make some sort of mark in the professional game.

The fairest criteria is that they make it enough to allow them to have a pro career in the game, whether it's in the Prem or Conference (well over half the Conference sides are full-time).

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Nyan Mesuria on 11:53 - May 1 with 6643 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 09:52 - May 1 by Superfrans

Absolutely.

16 YO:
Byron Lawrence 5891
Darryl Knights 6048
Andre Dozzell 6194

17 YO:
Owen Garvan 6399
Liam Trotter 6458
Danny Haynes 6458
Tristan Nydam 6489
Josh Carson 6498
Jordan Rhodes 6529
Billy Clarke 6560
Josh Emmanuel 6564

18 YO:
Teddy Bishop 6620
Dean Bowditch 6628
Chris Casement 6640
Jaime Peters 6669
Shane Supple 6676
Matt Clarke 6691
Tommy Smith 6706
Billy Clark 6753
Elliott Hewitt 6767
Tom Eastman 6768
Flynn Downes 6790
Jack Marriott 6812
Ben Morris 6825
Jordan Graham 6852
Luke Hyam 6862
Ben Folami 6873
Aidan Collins 6888
Jack Ainsley 6899
Ronan Murray 6911
Simon Walton 6915
Adam McDonnell 6933

19 YO:
Sammy Moore 6956
Andros Townsend 6969*
Mark Noble 7043*
Barry Cotter 7067
Myles Kenlock 7092
Dean McDonald 7122
Reggie Lambe 7124
Luke Woolfenden 7129
Troy Brown 7167*
Matt Richards 7178
Reece Wabara 7217*
Jack Colback 7242*
Giovani dos Santos 7247*
Shane O'Connor 7252
Massimo Luongo 7267*
Matthew Bates 7284*
Callum Connolly 7291*

Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18.

Not sure where you've got that stat from but it's not correct - every scholar gets a 2 year deal, most clubs take on approx 10 a year and for 98% to not be full time it means that only 2 scholars out of 10 clubs would still be full time.

At ITFC we probably keep at least half on full time at 18

Login to get fewer ads

Nyan Mesuria on 11:55 - May 1 with 6635 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 16:54 - Apr 30 by No_Moore_Kieffer

Still with the club then? Good to hear, hopefully we can keep him and turn him into a first team player if he lives up to the hype.

He seems to make an impact, but across social media it seems his father is very good at publicising any achievements so it's hard to know how good he actually is.

I think he went away with Spurs so indicates he is in our top 4 or 5 U16s but couldn't say much more than that

Nyan Mesuria on 13:18 - May 1 with 6541 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 11:53 - May 1 by itfcjoe

Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18.

Not sure where you've got that stat from but it's not correct - every scholar gets a 2 year deal, most clubs take on approx 10 a year and for 98% to not be full time it means that only 2 scholars out of 10 clubs would still be full time.

At ITFC we probably keep at least half on full time at 18

It's nicked directly from Michael Calvin's book, No Hunger In Paradise...

"Less than one half of one per cent of boys who enter the academy structure at the age of 9 will make a first-team appearance. More than three quarters are jettisoned between the ages of 13 and 16. The odds get no less intimidating the further a boy progresses. Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18. A recent study revealed only 8 out of 400 players given a professional Premier League contract at 18 remained at the highest level by the time of their twenty-second birthday. Since only 180 of the 1.5 million boys who play organised youth football in England at any one time become Premier League pros, the success rate is 0.012 per cent."

Nyan Mesuria on 13:29 - May 1 with 6497 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 10:23 - May 1 by monty_radio

I wasn't really trying to make a point about the ability of our academy to turn out decent footballers - more the number who don't make it, despite being claimed as the next big thing. The sub-point being that we should be wary of assuming they will inevitably become big players - it's unfair pressure on them, for a start.

But the thing that most surprised me was how few go on to have prolonged careers with us. Of that list, Connor Wickham, Jordan Rhodes, Liam Trotter & Owen Garvan (with Jack Marriott next, maybe) are the only ones who have left us to have careers consistently in the Championship or above - and Luke Hyam and Tommy Smith are the only ones to have careers with us. That seemed quite low to me, over the past 15 years.

Of course, lots of hope for the current crop. But they will have to buck this trend if they are to live up to the expectations that many have of them.

Personally, I think its the best crop we've had for some time. I can see Emmanuel, Kenlock, Downs and Nydam having long careers, hopefully with us; haven't seen enough of Cotter, Folami, Wolfenden yet; and for Dozzell it will depend on how he returns from injury, but potentially could be the best of the lot. That is an embarrassment of riches, in anyone's book.

Nyan Mesuria on 13:46 - May 1 with 6432 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 13:18 - May 1 by Superfrans

It's nicked directly from Michael Calvin's book, No Hunger In Paradise...

"Less than one half of one per cent of boys who enter the academy structure at the age of 9 will make a first-team appearance. More than three quarters are jettisoned between the ages of 13 and 16. The odds get no less intimidating the further a boy progresses. Almost 98 per cent of boys given a scholarship at 16 are no longer in the top five tiers of the domestic game at the age of 18. A recent study revealed only 8 out of 400 players given a professional Premier League contract at 18 remained at the highest level by the time of their twenty-second birthday. Since only 180 of the 1.5 million boys who play organised youth football in England at any one time become Premier League pros, the success rate is 0.012 per cent."

It just doesn't pass the common sense check - think he's used a bit of artistic licence there.

As an example - our current 'U19s' - i.e. those that got a scholarship 3 years ago are:

Harry Wright - Had 1 year pro deal, about to get another
Callum Fullwood - Had a 3rd year scholarship
Luke Woolfenden - Had 1 year pro deal and extended
Kieron Cathline - Think he fell into non leagues
Ben Morris - Still here
Flynn Downes - Still here
Kolade Salaudeen - Think he is no longer playing
Daniel Muamba - No longer playing
Ross Meldrum - Studying in US
Conor McKendry - Still here
Nicholas Hayes - Still here
Andre Dozzell - Still here

So out of 12 who got full time scholaships, 8 were still in the game at 18, although Fullwood subsequently fell out.

If you look at every club just in the Championship taking in 12 players, that would be 288 scholars. For 98% to fall out of the game by 18 it means only 6 would still be in it across all 24 clubs and we have 7 or 8 depending on how Fullwood is seen.

Nyan Mesuria on 13:49 - May 1 with 6414 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 13:29 - May 1 by Superfrans

I wasn't really trying to make a point about the ability of our academy to turn out decent footballers - more the number who don't make it, despite being claimed as the next big thing. The sub-point being that we should be wary of assuming they will inevitably become big players - it's unfair pressure on them, for a start.

But the thing that most surprised me was how few go on to have prolonged careers with us. Of that list, Connor Wickham, Jordan Rhodes, Liam Trotter & Owen Garvan (with Jack Marriott next, maybe) are the only ones who have left us to have careers consistently in the Championship or above - and Luke Hyam and Tommy Smith are the only ones to have careers with us. That seemed quite low to me, over the past 15 years.

Of course, lots of hope for the current crop. But they will have to buck this trend if they are to live up to the expectations that many have of them.

Personally, I think its the best crop we've had for some time. I can see Emmanuel, Kenlock, Downs and Nydam having long careers, hopefully with us; haven't seen enough of Cotter, Folami, Wolfenden yet; and for Dozzell it will depend on how he returns from injury, but potentially could be the best of the lot. That is an embarrassment of riches, in anyone's book.

Realistically though, of the 8 you mention if 3 are playing regularly in the Championship or higher in 5 years time it will be a miracle. It's mad really - but can see why it works like that.

If clubs are keeping 25 man squads or thereabouts of senior pros - aged from 21 to 35 there is effectievly 15 different intakes of academy players producing 25 players.

Nyan Mesuria on 14:01 - May 1 with 6371 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 13:46 - May 1 by itfcjoe

It just doesn't pass the common sense check - think he's used a bit of artistic licence there.

As an example - our current 'U19s' - i.e. those that got a scholarship 3 years ago are:

Harry Wright - Had 1 year pro deal, about to get another
Callum Fullwood - Had a 3rd year scholarship
Luke Woolfenden - Had 1 year pro deal and extended
Kieron Cathline - Think he fell into non leagues
Ben Morris - Still here
Flynn Downes - Still here
Kolade Salaudeen - Think he is no longer playing
Daniel Muamba - No longer playing
Ross Meldrum - Studying in US
Conor McKendry - Still here
Nicholas Hayes - Still here
Andre Dozzell - Still here

So out of 12 who got full time scholaships, 8 were still in the game at 18, although Fullwood subsequently fell out.

If you look at every club just in the Championship taking in 12 players, that would be 288 scholars. For 98% to fall out of the game by 18 it means only 6 would still be in it across all 24 clubs and we have 7 or 8 depending on how Fullwood is seen.

Yes, it doesn't fully make sense, does it. I wonder where he got these stats from? I might ask him on Twitter - he's pretty active on there.

And these stats are pretty much the heart of his book's main argument - that the pool of young players is increasingly vast at an increasingly young age and that far far too many kids are cast aside, after they feel they have "made it" but well before they actually have.

Nyan Mesuria on 14:07 - May 1 with 6342 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 13:49 - May 1 by itfcjoe

Realistically though, of the 8 you mention if 3 are playing regularly in the Championship or higher in 5 years time it will be a miracle. It's mad really - but can see why it works like that.

If clubs are keeping 25 man squads or thereabouts of senior pros - aged from 21 to 35 there is effectievly 15 different intakes of academy players producing 25 players.

Totally agree. It is what concerns me about this "play more kids" attitude that some fans (of all clubs) seem to have.

We'd all love it, but the practicalities are that few are likely to be good enough. I think people see MU's Class of 92 and think all clubs can operate that way. all the time - when in actual fact that group of players was unusually talented.

And, when we can only (on the whole) afford young loanees, that also reduces the number of places you can find for our own young players, while maintaining a decent age balance. This season, Connolly, Celina, Carter-Vickers all came in as loanees, but were very young themselves.

Nyan Mesuria on 14:56 - May 1 with 6258 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 14:01 - May 1 by Superfrans

Yes, it doesn't fully make sense, does it. I wonder where he got these stats from? I might ask him on Twitter - he's pretty active on there.

And these stats are pretty much the heart of his book's main argument - that the pool of young players is increasingly vast at an increasingly young age and that far far too many kids are cast aside, after they feel they have "made it" but well before they actually have.

I have read it, and found it excellent but remembered picking up on stats at the time - think it conflates players playing for Ipswich Rangers U9s as in the same system as Ipswich Town U9s when talking about 'making it'. Those that play it recreationally may dream of being a pro footballer but realistically aren't falling by the way side if they don't make it.

You just have to look at ITFC, and we are a smaller academy compared to some - there is just so much filler in an academy as teams need to be put out at every age group you need players who can just effectively make up the numbers for the better players to succeed.

Problem is those 'making up the numbers' give up on school, and other sports as are forced to in reality and then they are 18 with a BTEC in Sports and Leisure and a Level 2 Coaching Badge. I know people that have been parents of academy boys, it's incredibly tough and they expect and demand 110% dedication but will drop you like a fly as and when they see fit.

And boys travel an hour each way while at primary school to train on weekday evenings - it is madness. If one player from each age group makes it then you are doing unbelievably well.

Have you seen the targets for the academy now and how they measure success? They are realistic but bring into focus just how unlikely you are to 'make it'.

If my son is good at football, I'm not sure what I'd do - but I have the advantage of living a 5 minute walk from Playford Road so it's not a big deal like those who travel miles.

Nyan Mesuria on 14:58 - May 1 with 6250 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 14:07 - May 1 by Superfrans

Totally agree. It is what concerns me about this "play more kids" attitude that some fans (of all clubs) seem to have.

We'd all love it, but the practicalities are that few are likely to be good enough. I think people see MU's Class of 92 and think all clubs can operate that way. all the time - when in actual fact that group of players was unusually talented.

And, when we can only (on the whole) afford young loanees, that also reduces the number of places you can find for our own young players, while maintaining a decent age balance. This season, Connolly, Celina, Carter-Vickers all came in as loanees, but were very young themselves.

Yep, and Chelsea have just won a 5th consecutive FA Youth Cup - more of their squad will 'make it' in the game as will be falling from a further height when released with plenty more branches on the way down.

These big clubs have better players, and as they work out how to bring them through it makes it harder for a club like ours - the route has to be in our first team because it is very hard for us to get boys out on loan because loaning clubs would rather use their own or taken them from the giants

Nyan Mesuria on 15:34 - May 1 with 6179 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

It's interesting because working with other sports, the general consensus is how dreadful Football are at developing talent through the pathway. In fact the meeting I've had with academies I've been shocked just how far behind some Olympic sports they are.

One thing Football is decent at though is Talent Id, they can find good prospects. It's just they (generally speaking) don't do a good enough job at developing them and often then replace them with bigger lads a year or two later who have matured at different rates.

One case study I did some time ago was a Spain youth squad that won either World Cup or European Cup (I can't remember which..) And other than Xavi and Casillas no one went on to represent the senior team, only 3 other played in a top tier of domestic leagues and just over 50% played in the top 2 tiers of a top European nation. Interesting stat Pablo Counago was one of the 3 who played in the top tier. So demonstrates the amount of 'Churn' in every sport at junior level, particularly that transition phase into senior competition.
Nyan Mesuria on 15:42 - May 1 with 6162 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 15:34 - May 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

It's interesting because working with other sports, the general consensus is how dreadful Football are at developing talent through the pathway. In fact the meeting I've had with academies I've been shocked just how far behind some Olympic sports they are.

One thing Football is decent at though is Talent Id, they can find good prospects. It's just they (generally speaking) don't do a good enough job at developing them and often then replace them with bigger lads a year or two later who have matured at different rates.

One case study I did some time ago was a Spain youth squad that won either World Cup or European Cup (I can't remember which..) And other than Xavi and Casillas no one went on to represent the senior team, only 3 other played in a top tier of domestic leagues and just over 50% played in the top 2 tiers of a top European nation. Interesting stat Pablo Counago was one of the 3 who played in the top tier. So demonstrates the amount of 'Churn' in every sport at junior level, particularly that transition phase into senior competition.

Is that not because footballers in general will have long careers in a team sport - much harder to transition into fewer spots when the whole world is your competition in England

Nyan Mesuria on 20:07 - May 1 with 5968 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 14:56 - May 1 by itfcjoe

I have read it, and found it excellent but remembered picking up on stats at the time - think it conflates players playing for Ipswich Rangers U9s as in the same system as Ipswich Town U9s when talking about 'making it'. Those that play it recreationally may dream of being a pro footballer but realistically aren't falling by the way side if they don't make it.

You just have to look at ITFC, and we are a smaller academy compared to some - there is just so much filler in an academy as teams need to be put out at every age group you need players who can just effectively make up the numbers for the better players to succeed.

Problem is those 'making up the numbers' give up on school, and other sports as are forced to in reality and then they are 18 with a BTEC in Sports and Leisure and a Level 2 Coaching Badge. I know people that have been parents of academy boys, it's incredibly tough and they expect and demand 110% dedication but will drop you like a fly as and when they see fit.

And boys travel an hour each way while at primary school to train on weekday evenings - it is madness. If one player from each age group makes it then you are doing unbelievably well.

Have you seen the targets for the academy now and how they measure success? They are realistic but bring into focus just how unlikely you are to 'make it'.

If my son is good at football, I'm not sure what I'd do - but I have the advantage of living a 5 minute walk from Playford Road so it's not a big deal like those who travel miles.

I haven’t seen the targets for the Academy, would be interesting if the club could make those public. Might be sensitive though, I suppose.

What you say makes sense. And Calvin’s book is (more than anything else) about the lack of a duty of care across the youth football structure, how young kids are encouraged to think they can make it (or maybe are allowed to jump to that conclusion) when in actual fact the chance of them doing so is incredibly slight. That would tally with your point.

My general initial point was the clamour for young players to break through, largely from fans, when the numbers expected to have an impact are always going to be much lower than we’d all hope. I guess the issue is accentuated in our situation, because we are unlikely to make any big money signings (when was the last time the majority of us were genuinely excited by a signing?) and an outstanding player breaking through from the youth ranks is the next best thing to that, if not better.

I’ve said before, I’m personally pretty concerned that there will be too much expectation heaped on the back of Andre Dozzell when he comes back. He had a terrible injury, and has been out for a year (by the time he comes back) at the age of 18/19, at the time a player of his calibre should be playing a decent amount of men’s football for the first time. We have no idea what shape he will be in when he comes back, physically or mentally.

Nyan Mesuria on 20:12 - May 1 with 5952 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 20:07 - May 1 by Superfrans

I haven’t seen the targets for the Academy, would be interesting if the club could make those public. Might be sensitive though, I suppose.

What you say makes sense. And Calvin’s book is (more than anything else) about the lack of a duty of care across the youth football structure, how young kids are encouraged to think they can make it (or maybe are allowed to jump to that conclusion) when in actual fact the chance of them doing so is incredibly slight. That would tally with your point.

My general initial point was the clamour for young players to break through, largely from fans, when the numbers expected to have an impact are always going to be much lower than we’d all hope. I guess the issue is accentuated in our situation, because we are unlikely to make any big money signings (when was the last time the majority of us were genuinely excited by a signing?) and an outstanding player breaking through from the youth ranks is the next best thing to that, if not better.

I’ve said before, I’m personally pretty concerned that there will be too much expectation heaped on the back of Andre Dozzell when he comes back. He had a terrible injury, and has been out for a year (by the time he comes back) at the age of 18/19, at the time a player of his calibre should be playing a decent amount of men’s football for the first time. We have no idea what shape he will be in when he comes back, physically or mentally.

Here are targets:
The Club’s overall target for the Academy is to continue to increase the number of home grown players who appear in the 1st team.

- To produce one player per season who makes a minimum of 5 appearances in the 1st team
- To produce one player per season who (as a loan player) makes regular appearance in the 1st team of a Football League Club
- To ensure that 3 players graduate from U18 squad to PDL squad
- To ensure a minimum of 60% of Scholars have come from Ipswich Town’s Academy registered schoolboys

Nyan Mesuria on 22:47 - May 1 with 5782 viewsSuperfrans

Nyan Mesuria on 20:12 - May 1 by itfcjoe

Here are targets:
The Club’s overall target for the Academy is to continue to increase the number of home grown players who appear in the 1st team.

- To produce one player per season who makes a minimum of 5 appearances in the 1st team
- To produce one player per season who (as a loan player) makes regular appearance in the 1st team of a Football League Club
- To ensure that 3 players graduate from U18 squad to PDL squad
- To ensure a minimum of 60% of Scholars have come from Ipswich Town’s Academy registered schoolboys

That’s interesting. And they’ve exceeded those first two by some margin this season, haven’t they?

The first, Nydam, Downes, Folami.
The second, Emmanuel (does he count this season), Downes...

Nyan Mesuria on 08:26 - May 2 with 5632 viewsitfcjoe

Nyan Mesuria on 22:47 - May 1 by Superfrans

That’s interesting. And they’ve exceeded those first two by some margin this season, haven’t they?

The first, Nydam, Downes, Folami.
The second, Emmanuel (does he count this season), Downes...

Yep, I think they have gone a bit too far the other way with the targets from 50% of the first team.

But the way Mick worked it was to have a first team squad, and it's fair to say that Dozzell, Nydam and Downes all became members of the first team squad this season - others filled in as and when, but those 3 were no longer U23s.

It's a tough balance to strike, and injuries (both big to Dozzell and little niggling ones to Downes/Nydam) didn't help - but the fans who think the next manager is going to play more youngsters than Mick did will be in for a shock - although they'll probably just use cognitive dissonance to tell themselves things have changed

Nyan Mesuria on 15:24 - May 3 with 5500 viewsITFCJohnson

Nyan Mesuria on 09:37 - May 1 by Bad_Boy_Mark

There is a short video about him on the link below:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723416-could-14-year-old-nyan-mesuria-become

I’ve met this boy & his family & this video is not a true reflection of him. So please don’t post such videos on here.

Go & watch our academy players before commenting.

Nyan is born in London as we’re his parents. His grand parents were from India, what obviously makes him British & proud of it.
Nyan Mesuria on 17:34 - May 3 with 5419 viewsvilanovablue

Nyan Mesuria on 17:02 - Apr 30 by connorscontract

Although look at how many Southampton players did!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024