Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice 18:57 - Apr 13 with 6744 viewsThisIsMyUsername

If you were driving to Colchester (near the university, specifically) at rush hour, from the Felixstowe side of the Orwell bridge, what would be the best route to take?

I have to be there at 0900 one day next week. Would it be quicker to turn off at Wherstead and take the back roads past Manningtree etc to avoid the Copdock junction and the main road in to Colchester, or does everyone have that idea? Is there much difference?

Thanks.

Before anyone suggests it, I've already considered driving to and parking at Gatwick.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 18:59]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:00 - Apr 13 with 6293 viewsSpruceMoose

Stansted is closer to Colchester. Gatwick makes no sense.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:03 - Apr 13 with 6283 viewsPendejo

NO!

Unless the A12/A14 are shut the Manningtree option will NEVER be quicker.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:04 - Apr 13 with 6281 viewslinhdi

I'd take the A137 option, but main thing is just allow 30 mins more than you need and you should be ok either way.
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:05 - Apr 13 with 6279 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:03 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

NO!

Thanks. I guess that answers my question re whether lots of other people go that way...

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:06 - Apr 13 with 6274 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:04 - Apr 13 by linhdi

I'd take the A137 option, but main thing is just allow 30 mins more than you need and you should be ok either way.

Controversial...

I'll get the popcorn and let you two argue.

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:19 - Apr 13 with 6247 viewsgmanrom

Got a route that may help u, come off at colchester stadium, cut through highwoods, at rovers tye roundabout go straight over through st johns and cut through greenstead, that will be your quickest route.

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:21 - Apr 13 with 6234 viewsGarv

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:19 - Apr 13 by gmanrom

Got a route that may help u, come off at colchester stadium, cut through highwoods, at rovers tye roundabout go straight over through st johns and cut through greenstead, that will be your quickest route.

You might as well just come off before Col U then.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:22 - Apr 13 with 6235 viewsclive_baker

No way.

A14, A12 at Coodock, I would then take the first exit (business park one) and bounce past the car garages / Highwoods and all the way into town down Ipswich road. From my experience that part of town isn’t THAT bad traffic wise. It’s around the Garrison / North station that’s more of an arse.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:27 - Apr 13 with 6223 viewsGeoffSentence

If you are heading to a point near the uni at rush hour and coming in from the A12, I would suggest heading down St John's Road, turn left at that first roundabout in Colchester.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:28 - Apr 13 with 6223 viewsfactual_blue

Go the night before and stay at a Premier Inn.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:29 - Apr 13 with 6222 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:22 - Apr 13 by clive_baker

No way.

A14, A12 at Coodock, I would then take the first exit (business park one) and bounce past the car garages / Highwoods and all the way into town down Ipswich road. From my experience that part of town isn’t THAT bad traffic wise. It’s around the Garrison / North station that’s more of an arse.

That's the route I meant, I think. Ipswich Road (didn't realise it was called that) is the one I meant when I said the 'main road'. That's the road where you get to the roundabout at the bottom where you turn right to Aqua Springs, isn't it? I assumed that road would be really busy at that time...

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:33 - Apr 13 with 6203 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:28 - Apr 13 by factual_blue

Go the night before and stay at a Premier Inn.

It's not a terrible idea....

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:33 - Apr 13 with 6198 viewsgmanrom

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:21 - Apr 13 by Garv

You might as well just come off before Col U then.

If you come off before col u then u will hit all of ipswich rd traffic but up to you.

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:34 - Apr 13 with 6198 viewsclive_baker

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:29 - Apr 13 by ThisIsMyUsername

That's the route I meant, I think. Ipswich Road (didn't realise it was called that) is the one I meant when I said the 'main road'. That's the road where you get to the roundabout at the bottom where you turn right to Aqua Springs, isn't it? I assumed that road would be really busy at that time...

That’s it. It’s the most ‘direct’ way ie. if you were to drive there and there were no cars on the road and no traffic lights its the obvious route to take. You would go left at the bottom onto St Andrews avenue. I tried mixing it up going down St Johns road a few times and found there wasn’t much in it tbh. Traffic in colchester is nasty, you can tell it was built for horse and carts but as I said that part of Town generally isn’t the worst from my experience. Still leave plenty of time though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:39 - Apr 13 with 6172 viewsSchancheITFC

I work at the Uni. What about A12 then A120 towards Clacton but come off at Frating near the car auction then avoids Colchester altogether 👍🏻
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:51 - Apr 13 with 6151 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:34 - Apr 13 by clive_baker

That’s it. It’s the most ‘direct’ way ie. if you were to drive there and there were no cars on the road and no traffic lights its the obvious route to take. You would go left at the bottom onto St Andrews avenue. I tried mixing it up going down St Johns road a few times and found there wasn’t much in it tbh. Traffic in colchester is nasty, you can tell it was built for horse and carts but as I said that part of Town generally isn’t the worst from my experience. Still leave plenty of time though.

So many options!

I might just keep it simple and do one of the routes suggested by you and others which require Ipswich Rd or do as Facters suggested.

The 'worst' part is that if all goes well then this will be a journey I'll have to make 5 days a week...

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:53 - Apr 13 with 6146 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:39 - Apr 13 by SchancheITFC

I work at the Uni. What about A12 then A120 towards Clacton but come off at Frating near the car auction then avoids Colchester altogether 👍🏻

Wouldn't have considered that one... Certainly a detour but I see your point.

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:57 - Apr 13 with 6142 viewsTractorboy24

From my experience of commuting to the uni for a year, driving straight down Ipswich Road was just as quick as cutting across St Johns Road.

If you are going to the Uni, leave 10 mins to walk from car park to where you’re going too.
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:03 - Apr 13 with 6114 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:57 - Apr 13 by Tractorboy24

From my experience of commuting to the uni for a year, driving straight down Ipswich Road was just as quick as cutting across St Johns Road.

If you are going to the Uni, leave 10 mins to walk from car park to where you’re going too.

Thanks for the tip. 👍

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:16 - Apr 13 with 6080 viewsstonojnr

Obvious question but the train isnt an option because ?
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:18 - Apr 13 with 6074 viewsPinewoodblue

Did you forget to ask how much time to allow?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:32 - Apr 13 with 6054 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:18 - Apr 13 by Pinewoodblue

Did you forget to ask how much time to allow?

I'm assuming an hour and a quarter.

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:37 - Apr 13 with 6036 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 20:16 - Apr 13 by stonojnr

Obvious question but the train isnt an option because ?

Would rather drive.

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 22:45 - Apr 13 with 5951 viewsCrofty

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:39 - Apr 13 by SchancheITFC

This is by far the quickest if a little long as at that time of the morning Ipswich Road is really busy.

I often come out this way as well as it's quicker at the end of the day as well!
Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 04:24 - Apr 14 with 5859 viewsBenters2

Driving to Colchester from Ipswich area at rush hour advice on 19:03 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

NO!

This one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024