Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Alf's house up for sale...... 19:05 - Apr 9 with 10525 viewsBanburyBlue

a bit dated now but would love to buy it just for the nostalgia.
Proper memorabilia as well, still has his portrait hanging on the wall.

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:58 - Apr 9 with 3338 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:50 - Apr 9 by BloomBlue

Wow how special must it be to own that house, when someone visits you could say Ipswich's greatest ever manager lived in this house. Does if have a blue plaque on the house and if not why not?

1. I’d be very tempted to buy it if I lived in Ipswich, for those very reasons.

2. I’d find it difficult to modernise it for those same reasons!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:03 - Apr 9 with 3330 viewsitfcjoe

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:58 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

1. I’d be very tempted to buy it if I lived in Ipswich, for those very reasons.

2. I’d find it difficult to modernise it for those same reasons!!

It's a nice location, and I don't think overpriced - but realistically needs gutting which would feel harsh.

I'd quite like to live there for the historical reasons, but not sure my wife would want to move now we are so close to finishing ours after 2 years.....and realistically it's another project and not as nice as what we have

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:07 - Apr 9 with 3310 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:03 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

It's a nice location, and I don't think overpriced - but realistically needs gutting which would feel harsh.

I'd quite like to live there for the historical reasons, but not sure my wife would want to move now we are so close to finishing ours after 2 years.....and realistically it's another project and not as nice as what we have

It would always have something that your house could never compete with.

Does the wife get a say?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:09 - Apr 9 with 3311 viewsLord_Lucan

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:03 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

I'd be tempted but if you look at the layout it's quite a small house for where it is. I would imagine it must be a fair size plot for that price though.

Either that or I'm not quite as skint as I thought - and blimey, I am skint.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:11 - Apr 9 with 3305 viewsitfcjoe

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:07 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

It would always have something that your house could never compete with.

Does the wife get a say?

I know, but would feel a backward step now which isn't ideal - and having built this house to our tastes before children with them in mind and now here I'm not sure it is the best timing!

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:13 - Apr 9 with 3296 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:09 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

I'd be tempted but if you look at the layout it's quite a small house for where it is. I would imagine it must be a fair size plot for that price though.

I’m guessing anyone buying would remodel and extend.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:14 - Apr 9 with 3292 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:11 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

I know, but would feel a backward step now which isn't ideal - and having built this house to our tastes before children with them in mind and now here I'm not sure it is the best timing!

I’m only kidding!

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:14 - Apr 9 with 3292 viewsfactual_blue

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:28 - Apr 9 by Vic

The 4 bed semi I lived in in Barnet 12 years ago has just gone on the market for over £1.1 million! Can’t believed that I ever lived in a house worth over a million!

Lavenham Guildhall cost about £25 to build.

But that was in 1529.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:14 - Apr 9 with 3306 viewsitfcjoe

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:09 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

The floor plan looks ok for size - and plot is about 1/4 acre so that's a decent size.

It's a nice spot - but from a rough look at it I imagine it's going to need a new heating system, total re-wire and if you want it to not look 40 years out of date the whole place needs re-decorating, new carpets a definite new kitchen and all new bathrooms

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:19 - Apr 9 with 3279 viewslinhdi

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 19:08 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

I saw someone say that Lady Ramsey died last week but not seen anything else on it anywhere. I presume that's why then.

Correct. There was no publicity at the request of the family.
Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:32 - Apr 9 with 3251 viewsuefacup81

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:46 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Correction. It needs £100k to modernise it to suit current tastes.

It’s actually immaculate and perfectly fit for habitation.

I wouldn't have thought anywhere near that.

A lick of paint, update the kitchen and bathroom and job's a good-un. £10k-£20k tops.

As for value, I would imagine the agent has whacked a speculative few quid on the asking price in case there's a 'special purchaser' in the market, but you'd need two bidding against each other in order to elevate the price much above true market value.

Even so, any surveyor worth their salt would see through it at the Mortgage Valuation stage and its true market value would very quickly be established.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2018 21:35]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:35 - Apr 9 with 3245 viewstcblue

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:32 - Apr 9 by uefacup81

A lick of paint, update the kitchen and bathroom and job's a good-un. £10k-£20k tops.

As for value, I would imagine the agent has whacked a speculative few quid on the asking price in case there's a 'special purchaser' in the market, but you'd need two bidding against each other in order to elevate the price much above true market value.

Even so, any surveyor worth their salt would see through it at the Mortgage Valuation stage and its true market value would very quickly be established.

I can't pretend to know the Ipswich market very well, but would a £10k kitchen (say) really fly in that part of the town? Wouldn't there be an expectation of a higher end one?
Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:41 - Apr 9 with 3234 viewsitfcjoe

Even if you were doing a lot of work yourself £20k would barely touch the sides of that - the house looks well kept but hasn't had anything done to it for a few decades.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:41 - Apr 9 with 3231 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hope someone takes those paintings down and puts them somewhere safe!!

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:46 - Apr 9 with 3215 viewsuefacup81

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:35 - Apr 9 by tcblue

I can't pretend to know the Ipswich market very well, but would a £10k kitchen (say) really fly in that part of the town? Wouldn't there be an expectation of a higher end one?

It'll be down to the whim of the purchaser. Whilst those with £425k to spend on a house would probably want more than a basic setup, a Registered Valuer (i.e. Someone valuing for a bank rather than an estate agent) will be primarily concerned with the presence and basic functionality of a kitchen and bathroom, rather than the quality thereof.

Yes the quality of the kitchen and bathroom will have a bearing on the market value, particularly when using the comparable method of valuation, it wouldn't necessarily be to the order of the money required to update it all to a particular standard.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:49 - Apr 9 with 3220 viewsSomethingBlue

Childhood friend of mine lived next door when I was very young. I remember, before getting into football so I'd have been younger than seven, standing on a climbing frame or whatever and seeing an old guy over the fence doing his garden. I had absolutely no idea.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2018 21:50]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:50 - Apr 9 with 3209 viewsitfcjoe

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:46 - Apr 9 by uefacup81

It'll be down to the whim of the purchaser. Whilst those with £425k to spend on a house would probably want more than a basic setup, a Registered Valuer (i.e. Someone valuing for a bank rather than an estate agent) will be primarily concerned with the presence and basic functionality of a kitchen and bathroom, rather than the quality thereof.

Yes the quality of the kitchen and bathroom will have a bearing on the market value, particularly when using the comparable method of valuation, it wouldn't necessarily be to the order of the money required to update it all to a particular standard.

If a full survey is done I imagine it is going to need a full re-wire and new heating system installed as with how little work has been done in the house for so long it isn't going to be anywhere close to modern standards.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:57 - Apr 9 with 3191 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:50 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

If a full survey is done I imagine it is going to need a full re-wire and new heating system installed as with how little work has been done in the house for so long it isn't going to be anywhere close to modern standards.

Get a room you two.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:59 - Apr 9 with 3190 viewsuefacup81

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:50 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

It's hard to tell from just the photographs. The house seems to be a bit of a hodge-podge in terms of updating.

There are odd pockets of UPVC glazing alongside the original metal-framed windows, and some of the suite in the master bathroom looks of more recent origin.

The double oven in the kitchen looks newer, as do the white eye-level units, and some of the light fittings look fairly recent.

It wouldn't surprise me either way. The electrics could well be shot, or it could be a period property that has been kept in exceptional nick, with sympathetic modernisation over the years as the more modern yet unobtrusive additions suggest.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:05 - Apr 9 with 3185 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

In this scenario, a person paying a premium for the air Alf Ramsey connection would not be deemed a special purchaser.

If the sir Alf Ramsey connection resulted in increased demand and competitive bids, then it’s a valid consideration when it comes to value.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:07 - Apr 9 with 3177 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 21:59 - Apr 9 by uefacup81

It's hard to tell from just the photographs. The house seems to be a bit of a hodge-podge in terms of updating.

There are odd pockets of UPVC glazing alongside the original metal-framed windows, and some of the suite in the master bathroom looks of more recent origin.

The double oven in the kitchen looks newer, as do the white eye-level units, and some of the light fittings look fairly recent.

It wouldn't surprise me either way. The electrics could well be shot, or it could be a period property that has been kept in exceptional nick, with sympathetic modernisation over the years as the more modern yet unobtrusive additions suggest.

Nick Knowles v Carol Smiley kicking off here...

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:29 - Apr 9 with 3150 viewsuefacup81

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:05 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

In this scenario, a person paying a premium for the air Alf Ramsey connection would not be deemed a special purchaser.

If the sir Alf Ramsey connection resulted in increased demand and competitive bids, then it’s a valid consideration when it comes to value.

I see where you're coming from, and I think the Red Book definition of Special Purchaser is certainly open to interpretation.

I would argue that the potential pool of purchasers for whom owning Alf Ramsey's house would be worthy of paying a premium is small enough that their presence could not even be guaranteed.

If the market value is taken to be as per the Red Book definition, then one must assume that it is the price that the Man on the Clapham Omnibus would be willing to pay, and therefore unrelated to the provenance of the property.

Essentially, one must ask 'if I were to pay £x for this today, could I reasonably expect to sell it tomorrow for £x?'. I can't see any value you might attribute to this house for its provenance standing up on the open market given the very particular circumstances required in order to realise that perceived value.

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:46 - Apr 9 with 3135 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:29 - Apr 9 by uefacup81

I see where you're coming from, and I think the Red Book definition of Special Purchaser is certainly open to interpretation.

I would argue that the potential pool of purchasers for whom owning Alf Ramsey's house would be worthy of paying a premium is small enough that their presence could not even be guaranteed.

If the market value is taken to be as per the Red Book definition, then one must assume that it is the price that the Man on the Clapham Omnibus would be willing to pay, and therefore unrelated to the provenance of the property.

Essentially, one must ask 'if I were to pay £x for this today, could I reasonably expect to sell it tomorrow for £x?'. I can't see any value you might attribute to this house for its provenance standing up on the open market given the very particular circumstances required in order to realise that perceived value.

Oh god, I’m not getting into a debate about the red book at this time of night.

I suspect the agent has put little premium on the price, will gauge interest, and if there does appear to be strong demand they may invite best bids.

I doubt the valuer will do anything more than look at a few recent comparables.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2018 22:48]

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 22:48 - Apr 9 with 3128 viewsmarcus1642

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 20:50 - Apr 9 by BloomBlue

Wow how special must it be to own that house, when someone visits you could say Ipswich's greatest ever manager lived in this house. Does if have a blue plaque on the house and if not why not?

Agreed. Certainly needs a blue plaque.

Would make an excellent 2nd home for yours truly. Travel up from Cornwall on Friday morning, down to Portman Rd Saturday afternoon. Plenty of room for my three kids and two dogs. Perhaps a trip to Felixstowe on the Sunday with the dogs on the beach. Back to Cornwall on the Monday.

Unless there's a home match on Tuesday of course. Would stay over until Wednesday.

I can but dream.....
Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 23:01 - Apr 9 with 3113 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sir Alf's house up for sale...... on 19:24 - Apr 9 by suffolkpoker

Surely the painting is worth that alone...

That was my thought. Kind of assume they will not be on with the deal but it also seems a shame they will be parted from the house. An ITFC museum would seem ideal.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024