Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled 09:03 - Mar 20 with 6646 viewsFinidiCentenary

I've seen a few suggest they are effectively the same manager, although Warnock has 7 or 8 promotions, a great deal many more than Mick has.

Warnock was just asked what made him happy on TalkSport and his answer was effectively:

'The contentment I get when I'm sat in my slippers with a cup of tea after the game knowing that kids are going home with their parents or grandparents having enjoyed the game. The contentment that football gives you knowing that you and the club have the power to send people home happy, having enjoyed themselves and with a smile on their face'.

What a fantastic answer and perspective. So much of that seems to have gone out of the business of football, the fact it is a game, the fact people pay money to be entertained and go home having enjoyed themselves.

I honestly feel with Mick that it's all about him and the players from his point of view. The fans and the club seem to come across as an after thought. So refreshing to hear a manager who feels the two are entwined and that everyone involved with the club can enjoy performances and results together and strive for those.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:05 - Mar 20 with 5335 viewsSomethingBlue

You're wrong. So tiring to hear what a ghastly character Mick apparently is. The opposite is true. You might not like his football and we might both agree the club need a change. Need there be much more to it than that?
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 9:06]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:11 - Mar 20 with 5299 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:05 - Mar 20 by SomethingBlue

You're wrong. So tiring to hear what a ghastly character Mick apparently is. The opposite is true. You might not like his football and we might both agree the club need a change. Need there be much more to it than that?

Just because we need a change and its likely to come, we should suddenly gush over Mick and talk about what a fantastic human he is?

I'm happy to confirm Mick seems like a decent human being, the sort we'd all be happy to have as a mate or have a pint with, but his behaviour towards the fans for some time now has been below the standard I expect and furthermore, his attitude towards trying to win is depressingly negative.

I don't think there's any reason not to highlight the comments of another manager, who some fans have compared to Mick, being that the centre of everything he does is to put a smile on the fans faces, as opposed to Mick who has gone out of his way to antagonise the very same people - 'I might just stay to annoy them further'.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:18 - Mar 20 with 5267 viewsartsbossbeard

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:11 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

Just because we need a change and its likely to come, we should suddenly gush over Mick and talk about what a fantastic human he is?

I'm happy to confirm Mick seems like a decent human being, the sort we'd all be happy to have as a mate or have a pint with, but his behaviour towards the fans for some time now has been below the standard I expect and furthermore, his attitude towards trying to win is depressingly negative.

I don't think there's any reason not to highlight the comments of another manager, who some fans have compared to Mick, being that the centre of everything he does is to put a smile on the fans faces, as opposed to Mick who has gone out of his way to antagonise the very same people - 'I might just stay to annoy them further'.

I'm a fan and I've never felt antagonised by anything Mick has said. The only ones who get upset are the ones who wanted something more to beat him with and/or moany Suffolk people.

If he came out on the Millwall game and gave Easter Eggs to all the kids and shook their hands, it would be the wrong Easter Eggs or GRRR, NO GLUTEN FREE OPTION!!! or "his hand shake was that of a beaten man", or something.

Blinkered and one dimensional thinking, as per.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:43 - Mar 20 with 5191 viewsHarry_Palmer

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:05 - Mar 20 by SomethingBlue

I make the OP spot on. MM would never come out with a quote like that, just take a look at MM's recent quotes and it is quite clear that he has little regard the clubs supporters, which come a distant second to the MM 'brand'.

I'm not saying he is a terrible person because he isn't but from a footballing standpoint he certainly has a very sizeable ego which is not in proportion with his ability.

Warnock is a far better and more successful Manager as his record bears out, we should have grabbed him when we had the chance. ME's biggest mistake.
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:43 - Mar 20 with 5193 viewsDubtractor

Plus, regardless of what Warnock says about entertainment, his team's are just as capable of playing turgid football.

And he comes across as pretty unpleasant at times.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:44 - Mar 20 with 5179 viewschicoazul

Can you all stop trying to make me like Colin please? Colin and Allardyce are the enemy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:50 - Mar 20 with 5150 viewsITFCBlues

If Warnock was here and we were 10th - everyone would be just as critical because his football is awful

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:52 - Mar 20 with 5153 viewsPhilTWTD

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:43 - Mar 20 by Dubtractor

Plus, regardless of what Warnock says about entertainment, his team's are just as capable of playing turgid football.

And he comes across as pretty unpleasant at times.

He has, although I think he has mellowed a bit in recent years. He used to get very caught up in the moment. I've always found him likeable, friendly and respectful to press when we've faced his teams. Also went out of his way to do something nice for a friend of mine some years ago which he didn't have to. Someone I know who played for him also has a lot of time for him, even if his style of football wasn't to his taste.
Login to get fewer ads

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:52 - Mar 20 with 5143 viewsBlueBadger

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:50 - Mar 20 by ITFCBlues

If Warnock was here and we were 10th - everyone would be just as critical because his football is awful

And that's before you factor in things like his occasional encouragement of his teams to target injured opposition players or fake injury themselves to get games called off.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:54 - Mar 20 with 5132 viewsBlueBadger

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:43 - Mar 20 by Harry_Palmer

I make the OP spot on. MM would never come out with a quote like that, just take a look at MM's recent quotes and it is quite clear that he has little regard the clubs supporters, which come a distant second to the MM 'brand'.

I'm not saying he is a terrible person because he isn't but from a footballing standpoint he certainly has a very sizeable ego which is not in proportion with his ability.

Warnock is a far better and more successful Manager as his record bears out, we should have grabbed him when we had the chance. ME's biggest mistake.

Similarly, you'd never see Mick, I don't know, enoucraging his players to target players from opposing teams who've had long term injuries or trying to throw games y getting hi players to feign injuries.

I'll probably take 'a bit grumpy in a presser' over that level of bullsh1t.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:07 - Mar 20 with 5089 viewsHarry_Palmer

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:54 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Similarly, you'd never see Mick, I don't know, enoucraging his players to target players from opposing teams who've had long term injuries or trying to throw games y getting hi players to feign injuries.

I'll probably take 'a bit grumpy in a presser' over that level of bullsh1t.

' a bit grumpy'

I'd hate to see him when he's really grumpy.
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:11 - Mar 20 with 5075 viewsBlueBadger

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:07 - Mar 20 by Harry_Palmer

' a bit grumpy'

Some of you lot on here live REALLY sheltered lives.

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:15 - Mar 20 with 5057 viewsDubtractor

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 09:52 - Mar 20 by PhilTWTD

He has, although I think he has mellowed a bit in recent years. He used to get very caught up in the moment. I've always found him likeable, friendly and respectful to press when we've faced his teams. Also went out of his way to do something nice for a friend of mine some years ago which he didn't have to. Someone I know who played for him also has a lot of time for him, even if his style of football wasn't to his taste.

Fair enough.

My opinion is probably still skewed by the late 90s!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:17 - Mar 20 with 5056 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:07 - Mar 20 by Harry_Palmer

' a bit grumpy'

I swear some of you lot have this all backwards.

Warnock comes across as a decent bloke in real life who is very complimentary towards his own fans, who is loved by his own players and can say some unnecessary sh*tty things towards other managers and referees and opposition players.

McCarthy comes across as a decent bloke in real life who is very complimentary towards other managers and referees and opposition players, is loved by his own players and can say some unnecessary sh*tty things about his own fans.

And you love Mick for that? Lol.

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:19 - Mar 20 with 5049 viewsNo9

Just my point of view BUT - I would have been much happier if Neil Warnock had been appointed as Town's team management.
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:27 - Mar 20 with 5022 viewsSuperfrans

Warnock has four promotions to his name, not 6 or 7.

1994—95 Lge 1 Huddersfield Town
1995—96 Lge 2 Plymouth Argyle (in play offs)
2010—11 Champ Queens Park Rangers
2005—06 Champ Sheffield United

EDITED - I missed out Huddersfield
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 10:29]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:31 - Mar 20 with 5001 viewsBlueBadger

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:17 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

I swear some of you lot have this all backwards.

Warnock comes across as a decent bloke in real life who is very complimentary towards his own fans, who is loved by his own players and can say some unnecessary sh*tty things towards other managers and referees and opposition players.

McCarthy comes across as a decent bloke in real life who is very complimentary towards other managers and referees and opposition players, is loved by his own players and can say some unnecessary sh*tty things about his own fans.

And you love Mick for that? Lol.

I'm not sure that encouraging your players to injure other people's players is particularly the sign of a 'decent bloke'.

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:36 - Mar 20 with 4982 viewsPhilTWTD

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:27 - Mar 20 by Superfrans

Warnock has four promotions to his name, not 6 or 7.

1994—95 Lge 1 Huddersfield Town
1995—96 Lge 2 Plymouth Argyle (in play offs)
2010—11 Champ Queens Park Rangers
2005—06 Champ Sheffield United

EDITED - I missed out Huddersfield
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 10:29]

Two more with Notts County and took Scarborough into the FL.
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:39 - Mar 20 with 4970 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:36 - Mar 20 by PhilTWTD

So 7 in total across 4 divisions?

Very rare as well that he's had anywhere near to the biggest budget in the division.

He seems to always be there or thereabouts. Even Rotherham that were doomed, he kept up with form that would have got them in the playoffs if replicated over the season!

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:43 - Mar 20 with 4953 viewsjaykay

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:36 - Mar 20 by PhilTWTD

steady on with facts.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:06 - Mar 20 with 4923 viewsGuthrum

I actually like Warnock, but there are a few problems with your post.

For a start, he's just buttering up the fans on the radio. Warnock knows how to play the PR game.

Secondly, his managerial career, at 37 years, is getting on for half as long again as McCarthy's 27. In that time, Warnock has managed at 14 clubs (QPR twice, not counting the caretakership), an average of under two and a half years in each post. McCarthy has managed at just four, plus Ireland, giving an average of nearly five and a half years in each job. Warnock has also managed at much lower level than McCarthy. Hardly surprising he has more promotions under his belt.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:12 - Mar 20 with 4900 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:06 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

I actually like Warnock, but there are a few problems with your post.

For a start, he's just buttering up the fans on the radio. Warnock knows how to play the PR game.

Secondly, his managerial career, at 37 years, is getting on for half as long again as McCarthy's 27. In that time, Warnock has managed at 14 clubs (QPR twice, not counting the caretakership), an average of under two and a half years in each post. McCarthy has managed at just four, plus Ireland, giving an average of nearly five and a half years in each job. Warnock has also managed at much lower level than McCarthy. Hardly surprising he has more promotions under his belt.

Doesn't that just show that Warnock can go into a club and get promoted within a few years, whilst Mick can have a much, much longer period to build a team and ultimately not gain promotion?

I don't see why it's easier to manage at a lower level? Surely comes down to what you inherit and how far off that team is to the top teams? If anything, I admire Warnock more for being able to identify what you need to get promoted from multiple divisions.

He'd need to bring in top League Two players in League Two as he wouldn't be able to get Championship ones in. So clearly he has an eye for getting players at the top of each level who can improve the team. Mick doesn't strike me as having that.

Warnock undisputedly gets the best out of players. Mick does a great job of giving the illusion that he does. I'm not really sure that he does.

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:15 - Mar 20 with 4886 viewsGuthrum

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 10:39 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

So 7 in total across 4 divisions?

Very rare as well that he's had anywhere near to the biggest budget in the division.

He seems to always be there or thereabouts. Even Rotherham that were doomed, he kept up with form that would have got them in the playoffs if replicated over the season!

We looked doomed in October 2012, but McCarthy kept us up with form which would have got us in the play-offs if replicated over the whole season.

Apart from public relations and Warnock not staying anywhere all that long, there is really not so much difference between them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:30 - Mar 20 with 4841 viewsSuperfrans

Sorry, yes, you're right.

I've literally just pulled together a doc of all the managers who have achieved promotion since 1992-93 - Notts County was before that. Quite a record that.

I was surprised to see that Warnock, far from being a contemporary of Mick's is actually 9 yers older than him.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:31 - Mar 20 with 4833 viewsPhilTWTD

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:30 - Mar 20 by Superfrans

Sorry, yes, you're right.

I've literally just pulled together a doc of all the managers who have achieved promotion since 1992-93 - Notts County was before that. Quite a record that.

I was surprised to see that Warnock, far from being a contemporary of Mick's is actually 9 yers older than him.

They actually played at Barnsley together, or Barnsley reserves from what Mick has said in the past. Warnock always claims Mick cleaned his boots at Oakwell.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024