Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled 09:03 - Mar 20 with 6665 viewsFinidiCentenary

I've seen a few suggest they are effectively the same manager, although Warnock has 7 or 8 promotions, a great deal many more than Mick has.

Warnock was just asked what made him happy on TalkSport and his answer was effectively:

'The contentment I get when I'm sat in my slippers with a cup of tea after the game knowing that kids are going home with their parents or grandparents having enjoyed the game. The contentment that football gives you knowing that you and the club have the power to send people home happy, having enjoyed themselves and with a smile on their face'.

What a fantastic answer and perspective. So much of that seems to have gone out of the business of football, the fact it is a game, the fact people pay money to be entertained and go home having enjoyed themselves.

I honestly feel with Mick that it's all about him and the players from his point of view. The fans and the club seem to come across as an after thought. So refreshing to hear a manager who feels the two are entwined and that everyone involved with the club can enjoy performances and results together and strive for those.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:41 - Mar 20 with 1303 viewsGuthrum

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:12 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

Doesn't that just show that Warnock can go into a club and get promoted within a few years, whilst Mick can have a much, much longer period to build a team and ultimately not gain promotion?

I don't see why it's easier to manage at a lower level? Surely comes down to what you inherit and how far off that team is to the top teams? If anything, I admire Warnock more for being able to identify what you need to get promoted from multiple divisions.

He'd need to bring in top League Two players in League Two as he wouldn't be able to get Championship ones in. So clearly he has an eye for getting players at the top of each level who can improve the team. Mick doesn't strike me as having that.

Warnock undisputedly gets the best out of players. Mick does a great job of giving the illusion that he does. I'm not really sure that he does.

It shows that Warnock never stays very long after winning promotion (or gets sacked). McCarthy stayed at Wolves for nearly three seasons in the top flight.

Except at Ipswich, McCarthy doesn't generally take longer than Warnock to achieve promotion, two or three years.

It's notoriously much harder to get promoted from the second tier to the top division.

Warnock is ruthless about shipping out players he doesn't want, even fan favourites. He and McCarthy are both good at building effective squads from not necessarily prime material. But there are limits to that. Warnock has had decent money at Cardiff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 12:16 - Mar 20 with 1280 viewsBrixtonBlue

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 11:12 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

Doesn't that just show that Warnock can go into a club and get promoted within a few years, whilst Mick can have a much, much longer period to build a team and ultimately not gain promotion?

I don't see why it's easier to manage at a lower level? Surely comes down to what you inherit and how far off that team is to the top teams? If anything, I admire Warnock more for being able to identify what you need to get promoted from multiple divisions.

He'd need to bring in top League Two players in League Two as he wouldn't be able to get Championship ones in. So clearly he has an eye for getting players at the top of each level who can improve the team. Mick doesn't strike me as having that.

Warnock undisputedly gets the best out of players. Mick does a great job of giving the illusion that he does. I'm not really sure that he does.

"clearly he has an eye for getting players at the top of each level who can improve the team. Mick doesn't strike me as having that."

Mings?
Moore?
Webster?
Sears?

Players (just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's many more) from a lower level (or a much MUCH lower level) that Mick has either improved the team with, or in Moore's case got a huge profit for.

I'm afraid your argument in this thread is full of holes. Mick has his failing but your dislike of him has clouded your judgement and caused you to exaggerate, thus undermining the good points you make.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 14:12 - Mar 20 with 1240 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 12:16 - Mar 20 by BrixtonBlue

"clearly he has an eye for getting players at the top of each level who can improve the team. Mick doesn't strike me as having that."

Mings?
Moore?
Webster?
Sears?

Players (just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's many more) from a lower level (or a much MUCH lower level) that Mick has either improved the team with, or in Moore's case got a huge profit for.

I'm afraid your argument in this thread is full of holes. Mick has his failing but your dislike of him has clouded your judgement and caused you to exaggerate, thus undermining the good points you make.

Mings was a Russell Osman find that McCarthy watched and was prepared to spend £10k on. Let's not give Mick too much credit there.

Moore didn't look up to it at this level and McCarthy brought him in for £20k in the hope he'd have an impact here. He didn't and proved his worth a level below.

Webster is yet to really prove himself. Looks great in some matches and poor in others. Given the money paid I'm not sure that can be deemed a huge success.

Sears had a good few months after signing from a team where he'd been banging in the goals, scored a few and has looked every bit a League One player for the last 75% of his time here.

Please do show me where McCarthy has consistently (like Warnock has) found players that have proven to be top players at that level. That's what Warnock does. Finds a player who is a top player at the level his club plays at. Only Mings of the below is a top player at Championship level and Mick wouldn't have even heard of him if Osman hadn't pointed him out playing for Chippenham.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 15:13 - Mar 20 with 1223 viewsBrixtonBlue

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 14:12 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

Mings was a Russell Osman find that McCarthy watched and was prepared to spend £10k on. Let's not give Mick too much credit there.

Moore didn't look up to it at this level and McCarthy brought him in for £20k in the hope he'd have an impact here. He didn't and proved his worth a level below.

Webster is yet to really prove himself. Looks great in some matches and poor in others. Given the money paid I'm not sure that can be deemed a huge success.

Sears had a good few months after signing from a team where he'd been banging in the goals, scored a few and has looked every bit a League One player for the last 75% of his time here.

Please do show me where McCarthy has consistently (like Warnock has) found players that have proven to be top players at that level. That's what Warnock does. Finds a player who is a top player at the level his club plays at. Only Mings of the below is a top player at Championship level and Mick wouldn't have even heard of him if Osman hadn't pointed him out playing for Chippenham.

Cherrypicking the facts again. We can all do that...

Mick stopped the game Mings was in and took him off in order to sign him. He made the decision. And then worked with him to turn him into a £6m player who we sold to the Premier League.

He saw something in Moore and sold him to another Champ team... at a £730k profit.

Everyone but you seems to think Webster was a great find. You could argue "has had poor games" about any player.

Sears has gone off the boil this season but I disagree that he's looked League 1 for 75% of his time here. That's nonsense IMO.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 15:18 - Mar 20 with 1218 viewsitfcjoe

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 14:12 - Mar 20 by FinidiCentenary

You're so desperate to not give Mick credit for anything that your one eyed posts are just so pointless. Try having a bit of balance.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Well that's the 'Warnock is identical to McCarthy' suggestion dispelled on 15:23 - Mar 20 with 1211 viewslongtimefan

Urm .. David McGoldrick and Bartosz. Or do free transfers not count?
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:54 - Mar 20 with 1190 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Haha, oh dear
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 15:54]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024