Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? 11:04 - Feb 21 with 5465 viewsBaaBaaBlue

Apologies if this has previously been discussed..

Just wanted to gauge what people were thinking about mid to long term future of our club.

With the ever increasing prospect of a North Ipswich bypass, would this be the ideal time to move out of Portman Rd?
To me this makes so much sense (as much as I have loved the place for 40 years since I was 6 years old)

I feel as a club we're losing ground on Norwich (how important this is to you is in question) and I feel it's only a matter of time before they easily become the powerhouse of EastAnglia.. my bet is although Lowestoft is in Suffolk, I bet a fair few football fans from the town support Norwich (which is fine if that's what you want over Ipswich

We have falling gates (not a new phenomenon, but still a worry)

The way I see it, a new bypass, a railway in the area too, nearer and easier for supporters from Lowestoft/BSE to get to.. easier to police.. space to build a designated sports complex with outlets (food, shopping etc)

For me Portman Rd can be a hassle to get to, parking and traffic jams etc..

Personally, I'd love to see our club brought into the newer age.. better facilities (I find buying a tea/pie/beer at football matches a total embarrassment, even though it's not the priority of the majority), branding, bums on seats..
I'm sure it'll happen one day, but whether that's in my lifetime remains to be seen..

I genuinely believe if this doesn't happen sooner rather than later, we'll miss the boat and our Northern neighbours could well beat us to modernisation and win a whole new army of support..

I know people hate change (genuinely myself too) but with this Northern Bypass looking ever likely, surely relocating our club should at least be discussed..

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:05 - Feb 21 with 4977 viewsunbelievablue

3/10.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:11 - Feb 21 with 4939 viewsSteve_M

Football grounds are ideally situated a short walk from the local town centre, near a good variety of pubs and with easy transport links. PR being minutes from the station rather than a bus ride away is a good thing.

Norwich had their chance to be better than us but have well and truly blown it.

And what you describe in the state of the ground is down to Evans' relentless cost cutting of all non-footballing expenditure.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:12 - Feb 21 with 4937 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid.

We have one of the very few remaining "central" ground locations, and you would struggle to find any stadium with better connectivity than ours anywhere in the country (aside from Ipswich's location which is beyond anyone's control!). It would be a very sad day if we ever went down the road of other clubs with soulless out-of-town stadiums which are a pain in the arse to get to and miles from any decent pubs etc (Reading, MK Dons, Boro, Southampton - there are sooooo many)

The stadium could do with a re-fit, no question about that but the capacity is fine for us and there would be very little upside to moving

As for your concerns about ever being over-taken by Norwich - that will never happen, for any reason. That's just preposterous
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:13 - Feb 21 with 4928 viewsunbelievablue

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:12 - Feb 21 by Uncle_Bulgaria

We have one of the very few remaining "central" ground locations, and you would struggle to find any stadium with better connectivity than ours anywhere in the country (aside from Ipswich's location which is beyond anyone's control!). It would be a very sad day if we ever went down the road of other clubs with soulless out-of-town stadiums which are a pain in the arse to get to and miles from any decent pubs etc (Reading, MK Dons, Boro, Southampton - there are sooooo many)

The stadium could do with a re-fit, no question about that but the capacity is fine for us and there would be very little upside to moving

As for your concerns about ever being over-taken by Norwich - that will never happen, for any reason. That's just preposterous

"...and you would struggle to find any stadium with better connectivity than ours anywhere in the country"

Eh?

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:22 - Feb 21 with 4896 viewsBaaBaaBlue

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:11 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

Football grounds are ideally situated a short walk from the local town centre, near a good variety of pubs and with easy transport links. PR being minutes from the station rather than a bus ride away is a good thing.

Norwich had their chance to be better than us but have well and truly blown it.

And what you describe in the state of the ground is down to Evans' relentless cost cutting of all non-footballing expenditure.

We're hardly filling the place.. I wonder what percentage of people that go to games actually walk to games.. of course I understand the content concept of walking to games, a couple of pints.. yes, we represent Ipswich, but we also represent the People of Suffolk too, and further afield.. And I'm no wealthy man, but I'd wage a fair few quid that Norwich will be in the PL before Ipswich.. I feel our club is being stiffled at the moment, nobody at the top seems to have any forward thinking in my opinion
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:24 - Feb 21 with 4879 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:13 - Feb 21 by unbelievablue

"...and you would struggle to find any stadium with better connectivity than ours anywhere in the country"

Eh?

Proximity to the station, car parks etc; good access to A12/A14. My mates who support other clubs love Ipswich away - literally don't have to walk more than 1/2 mile for train, beer, match. Must be close to the best in the country for an away fan....apart from actually getting to Ipswich itself!

Obviously not the town's location on a map - think I alluded to that
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:26 - Feb 21 with 4860 viewsunbelievablue

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:24 - Feb 21 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Proximity to the station, car parks etc; good access to A12/A14. My mates who support other clubs love Ipswich away - literally don't have to walk more than 1/2 mile for train, beer, match. Must be close to the best in the country for an away fan....apart from actually getting to Ipswich itself!

Hmm. Unconvinced, given nowhere decent to drink for away fans.

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:27 - Feb 21 with 4850 viewsFixed_It

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:26 - Feb 21 by unbelievablue

Hmm. Unconvinced, given nowhere decent to drink for away fans.

Surely they can take the Station Hotel easily enough?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:29 - Feb 21 with 4842 viewsBaaBaaBlue

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:12 - Feb 21 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Souless??
I've been to a few home games this season, it's hardly a buzz..
I struggle to take my nephews to a game.. they love football, but hardly find it an exciting prospect of sitting at PR.. win or lose

Also, it's necessarily the most scientific of gauges, but are you aware that Ipswich Town has 124k Twitter followers and Norwich has over half a million! For a town of what 200k that is a hell of a lot of people from outside the town.. obviously, a small stint in the PL has helped their cause, one more could really put them on the map
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 11:35]
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:32 - Feb 21 with 4822 viewsPopeadrian64

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:24 - Feb 21 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Look at Colchester moving to the outskirts of town, they fully regret it now. Portman Road is our spiritual home and I commented on Sunday how good it looks from the train station. All it needs is a good spruce up/lick of paint/bit of pride installed in it. Nothing beats an evening game under the Portman Road lights. I only wish, when they built the Pioneer (Coop ) stand is that they moved the pitch around so Portman Rd/Cobbold Stand would be behind the goal, the side stands would be better and the sun would get on the pitch and help with todays issues. (Wolves did this when they redeveloped Molineux).
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:42 - Feb 21 with 4771 viewsKeno

thee is still the plan to move the stadium

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:04 - Feb 21 with 4676 viewsitfcjoe

Such a weak attempt from a Budgie this one - 0/10

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:05 - Feb 21 with 4673 viewsEastTownBlue

I'm sure that those who enjoy a trip to Reading will agree with you. There will be someone.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 12:05]
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:06 - Feb 21 with 4653 viewsITFC1983

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:05 - Feb 21 by unbelievablue

3/10.

Far too generous...

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:07 - Feb 21 with 4651 viewsMullet

I doubt you lot will manage to fill your mums this time next year.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:07 - Feb 21 with 4651 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:29 - Feb 21 by BaaBaaBlue

Souless??
I struggle to take my nephews to a game.. they love football, but hardly find it an exciting prospect of sitting at PR.. win or lose

Also, it's necessarily the most scientific of gauges, but are you aware that Ipswich Town has 124k Twitter followers and Norwich has over half a million! For a town of what 200k that is a hell of a lot of people from outside the town.. obviously, a small stint in the PL has helped their cause, one more could really put them on the map

I agree - home games this season have largely been a massive drag (I have the same challenges with my kids), but I don't think that would be improved by the location of the stadium one bit - in fact, exactly the opposite

Your twitter comment sounds like exactly the sort of meaningless stat a Norwich fan would come up with to support an "our club is bigger than yours" argument! Stoke, West Brom, Southampton have all had fairly lengthy stays in the Prem with no need to do anything in terms of ground capacity (I accept two of those had relocated already) - point is, being in the Prem does not inevitably lead to an ever-increasing active fan base. Norwich and Ipswich broadly are very similar sized clubs with similar fanbases - attendances will fluctuate with success as has been seen historically (as with all clubs) - neither will outgrow their current capacity materially imho. They've had their chance and messed it up. When/if we get a similar opportunity any time soon is another question entirely!
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 12:13 - Feb 21 with 4609 viewsITFC_Forever

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:32 - Feb 21 by Popeadrian64

Look at Colchester moving to the outskirts of town, they fully regret it now. Portman Road is our spiritual home and I commented on Sunday how good it looks from the train station. All it needs is a good spruce up/lick of paint/bit of pride installed in it. Nothing beats an evening game under the Portman Road lights. I only wish, when they built the Pioneer (Coop ) stand is that they moved the pitch around so Portman Rd/Cobbold Stand would be behind the goal, the side stands would be better and the sun would get on the pitch and help with todays issues. (Wolves did this when they redeveloped Molineux).

No they didn't - Wolves pitch has always run the same way. The side stand the one away fans get when they sit along the side was the first to be redeveloped (late 80s / early 90s) and still runs along the side.

Bournemouth did rotate their pitch 90 degrees when they redeveloped Dean Court and Spurs are moving their's 100 yards along (the six yard boxes of the old and new pitch overlap).

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:00 - Feb 21 with 4414 viewslongtimefan

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 11:29 - Feb 21 by BaaBaaBlue

Souless??

I can see a new poster being penned with an extra star. We have more twitter followers than you.
Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:13 - Feb 21 with 4374 viewsKitman

..The Amex, nice as it is when you are in it is a nightmare to get to and from and you are totally isolated on the outskirts of town. I can't see the outline of Town doing a similar thing being much different..

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:21 - Feb 21 with 4338 viewsTractorCam

I definitely do want our ground to be a boring 'arena' located miles out of the town like your Reading's and Bolton's thank you

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:27 - Feb 21 with 4324 viewsTheBlueBarca

Why on earth would you build a new stadium when your gates are falling to record 20 year lows and losing £8-10million a year already?

People won't attend the games not because the stadium is hard to get to, which it is not, it's because we're overhanging people for a poor product with limited excitement/entertainment. We're more expensive than half the Premier League to watch and play football that would embarrass Wrexham.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:29 - Feb 21 with 4312 viewsITFC_Forever

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:27 - Feb 21 by TheBlueBarca

Why on earth would you build a new stadium when your gates are falling to record 20 year lows and losing £8-10million a year already?

People won't attend the games not because the stadium is hard to get to, which it is not, it's because we're overhanging people for a poor product with limited excitement/entertainment. We're more expensive than half the Premier League to watch and play football that would embarrass Wrexham.

People comparing our / Any other Champ club's pricing to the Prem are falling for a red herring.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:31 - Feb 21 with 4305 viewsReuser_is_God

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:27 - Feb 21 by TheBlueBarca

We could down size?

Next season we may aswell ground share with Col U.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:32 - Feb 21 with 4302 viewsunbelievablue

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:31 - Feb 21 by Reuser_is_God

We could down size?

Next season we may aswell ground share with Col U.

Or Wanderers.

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:33 - Feb 21 with 4298 viewsTheBlueBarca

Northern Ipswich bypass/New stadium? on 15:29 - Feb 21 by ITFC_Forever

People comparing our / Any other Champ club's pricing to the Prem are falling for a red herring.

Why? Because it doesn't fit the narrative here? Our pricing is a rip-off compared to the product we're paying for in turn, if thats a red herring than I suggest you need to calm on the internet suffering for a while.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024