Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? 06:23 - Dec 3 with 12505 viewsCurrie10

Approaching half way in the season, and we're within three points of the top 6.

For what it's worth, I really don't feel unless we were to go up Mick will be here next season. I think ( could be wrong ) that however we end up, be it 19th and the season going totally wrong, or 4th and us gaining momentum that'll be him done and it'll be over to someone new.

So would it not be worth, considering how we're doing and the fact we're the second top scorers in the division just getting behind the side for the rest of this season?

I realise it could fall apart at any given moment. However, we're giving youth a chance, 2nd top scorers in the league and have Dids/Huws/Celina. Coupled with Garner/Waghorn, we have some really good options going forwards!

This season to me ( from afar ) appears to have parallels of 14/15 interms of spirit.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 14:38 - Dec 3 with 4558 viewsPJH

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 14:06 - Dec 3 by SWGF

Agree. However McCarthy is the one who has the stage/platform to offer the olive branch rather than poking fans with a stick after victories even though it's the minority who have been vocal.

I agree that MM is in a stronger position to make a move to building bridges but I am sure that he was deeply hurt by the abusive and negative attacks on him and his team.
I think that all along he has been a bit too general in his comments about the fans because as you say it was only a vocal minority.
To my knowledge the vocal negativity has only happened once this season (at Burton) so hopefully it is now consigned to the past for good.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:10 - Dec 3 with 4526 viewsSWGF

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 14:38 - Dec 3 by PJH

I agree that MM is in a stronger position to make a move to building bridges but I am sure that he was deeply hurt by the abusive and negative attacks on him and his team.
I think that all along he has been a bit too general in his comments about the fans because as you say it was only a vocal minority.
To my knowledge the vocal negativity has only happened once this season (at Burton) so hopefully it is now consigned to the past for good.

As you say, it's happened once this season and that was in October and by a dozen or so "fans" yet McCarthy was the one quoting it yesterday. The support yesterday was fine. Why bring it up?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:14 - Dec 3 with 4521 viewsLankHenners

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:10 - Dec 3 by SWGF

As you say, it's happened once this season and that was in October and by a dozen or so "fans" yet McCarthy was the one quoting it yesterday. The support yesterday was fine. Why bring it up?

Because he was asked a question about it. Amazing how people still think he just does it out of the blue to 'wind fans up'.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:19 - Dec 3 with 4516 viewsPJH

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:10 - Dec 3 by SWGF

From MM's point of view I think the fact that he keeps bringing it up reflects just how much it hurt him and he does not intend to let go.
I don't suppose he has yet received the crayon written apologies from those that were responsible so until he does I think it will play on his mind.

The support yesterday was very good as it was, I thought, by those of us at Derby on Tuesday.

I think it would be better if MM did not keep mentioning it but as I said, I think the reason that he does is because of the hurt that it caused him.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:23 - Dec 3 with 4503 viewsBluetone

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 12:36 - Dec 3 by SomethingBlue

It should be. We have a really talented squad now, the most talented for years, and there seems plenty more to come. I would love to think people can just try and enjoy it for the next six months and see where it can take us.

I agree but some of that quality is loanees who won't be here after the end of the season.

Blog: My Life and Times as an Ipswich Supporter

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:24 - Dec 3 with 4504 viewsPJH

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:14 - Dec 3 by LankHenners

Because he was asked a question about it. Amazing how people still think he just does it out of the blue to 'wind fans up'.

I have just re-read the context in which it was mentioned yesterday.
You are right, for as long as crowd reaction questions are raised the reference to the negative chanting of the past is always likely to be part of his answer.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:28 - Dec 3 with 4496 viewsSomethingBlue

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:23 - Dec 3 by Bluetone

I agree but some of that quality is loanees who won't be here after the end of the season.

All the more reason to enjoy it for the next six months rather than driving yourself to distraction!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:35 - Dec 3 with 4487 viewsMullet

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:24 - Dec 3 by PJH

I have just re-read the context in which it was mentioned yesterday.
You are right, for as long as crowd reaction questions are raised the reference to the negative chanting of the past is always likely to be part of his answer.

Trouble is, EADT never report things quite the way they are do they? Because they know it causes clicks.

There's also the fact that those who can give it but not take it, then throw their toys about when they feel targeted. Which is ironic.

Mick might be the best since Royle, but he shouldn't be pushed out like this. It's shambolic, and Evans' tenure looks set to go back to it's very low trajectory afterwards. We're looking at a very worrying summer and beyond unless we somehow go up.

You wouldn't think we've gone from a return to relegation certainties to playoff hopefuls, it's baffling.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:45 - Dec 3 with 4477 viewsSWGF

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:14 - Dec 3 by LankHenners

What was the question?

Doesn't, of course, mean he can't just dead bat it

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:51 - Dec 3 with 4473 viewsstantheman

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:45 - Dec 3 by SWGF

What was the question?

Not in his DNA to do that. Perhaps the minority who did give him abuse could knock up a bedsheet banner with an appropriate message of apology.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:59 - Dec 3 with 4457 viewsDarth_Koont

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:23 - Dec 3 by Bluetone

As long as we're in the Championship we'll make use of loanees to add quality especially the likes of Celina. And I don't think our loanees are our best or defining players so no long-term issue either.

Pronouns: He/Him

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:02 - Dec 3 with 4454 viewsDarth_Koont

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:35 - Dec 3 by Mullet

Trouble is, EADT never report things quite the way they are do they? Because they know it causes clicks.

There's also the fact that those who can give it but not take it, then throw their toys about when they feel targeted. Which is ironic.

Mick might be the best since Royle, but he shouldn't be pushed out like this. It's shambolic, and Evans' tenure looks set to go back to it's very low trajectory afterwards. We're looking at a very worrying summer and beyond unless we somehow go up.

You wouldn't think we've gone from a return to relegation certainties to playoff hopefuls, it's baffling.

Like the scorpion that stings the frog carrying it over the river, it's in their nature.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/north-stander-on-town-s-4-2-win-over-forest-1-530558

Click-baity twerps.

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:04 - Dec 3 with 4451 viewsbrogansnose

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 15:19 - Dec 3 by PJH

From MM's point of view I think the fact that he keeps bringing it up reflects just how much it hurt him and he does not intend to let go.
I don't suppose he has yet received the crayon written apologies from those that were responsible so until he does I think it will play on his mind.

The support yesterday was very good as it was, I thought, by those of us at Derby on Tuesday.

I think it would be better if MM did not keep mentioning it but as I said, I think the reason that he does is because of the hurt that it caused him.

I don't agree with any stick given to a manager but I do feel that Mick has been around the track to know that football fans are fickle and when things are not going well then some of this sort of stuff will happen and not only from our club. I would be amazed if he didn't get some sort of grief from Blunderland or Wolves fans.

One of the reasons Mick chose to manage us was that Jewell told him that he would be supported by Evans and the he would not get interference from the owner. This still stands true and if Evans thinks that Mick still fits the bill then he needs to get on with new contract offer because I would be surprised if other clubs were not monitoring the situation.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:24 - Dec 3 with 4432 viewsLankHenners

What was the question?

McCarthy: Pleasing Win and Happy With Eight Points From Five-Game Run 2nd Dec 2017 18:30
Town boss Mick McCarthy felt his side’s 4-2 home victory over Nottingham Forest was "particularly pleasing" and was happy with the Blues' tally of eight points from their tough run of five games in 15 days. 27

Last thing Mick says here before Warburton's bit. In this context it's a throwaway comment about the fickle nature of football fans, here included at the bottom. As others have pointed out, the EADT have form in taking something innocuous and framing it in a negative, click-baity way, slapping it in the title and sitting back to watch the rabid loons stir themselves up over nothing.

He could, and that's probably the best thing for him to do to save the tiresome debates, but clearly it seems he's unlikely to do that.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:25 - Dec 3 with 4428 viewsBent_double

The position the club was in at the start of last season was entirely down to MM and ME, no-one else.

MM agreed to allow Murphy to leave - probably quite rightly, as there's no point trying to keep a player who doesn't want to be here.

The problem - as we all know - was not replacing Murphy and not having to players to adapt to a different (better) style of play. That, and the culmination of poor football for over a season, resulted in the over-the-top personal abuse that MM got, and he chose to deal with it by throwing a bit back at those fans.

I wouldn't call myself a Mick inner, but carry on for the rest of the season the way we have been, and I'll be happy. The only other downsides of having him in charge seem to be that we won't beat the budgies or win the POs, as his record in both is appalling!

I still maintain he won't leave Ipswich unless he has a better offer elsewhere. He's not the type to be unemployed, so if he's offered a new contract and there's nothing else on the table, he'll still be here next season.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:44 - Dec 3 with 4406 viewsDarth_Koont

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:25 - Dec 3 by Bent_double

The position the club was in at the start of last season was entirely down to MM and ME, no-one else.

MM agreed to allow Murphy to leave - probably quite rightly, as there's no point trying to keep a player who doesn't want to be here.

The problem - as we all know - was not replacing Murphy and not having to players to adapt to a different (better) style of play. That, and the culmination of poor football for over a season, resulted in the over-the-top personal abuse that MM got, and he chose to deal with it by throwing a bit back at those fans.

I wouldn't call myself a Mick inner, but carry on for the rest of the season the way we have been, and I'll be happy. The only other downsides of having him in charge seem to be that we won't beat the budgies or win the POs, as his record in both is appalling!

I still maintain he won't leave Ipswich unless he has a better offer elsewhere. He's not the type to be unemployed, so if he's offered a new contract and there's nothing else on the table, he'll still be here next season.

All-in-all I think you're pretty fair but how did Mick throw a bit of "over-the-top personal abuse" back at the fans?

That's the point, I think. It got way too personal from some fans - and I don't blame Mick for still being peed off or unwilling to just forget about it.

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 18:15 - Dec 3 with 4368 viewsjeera

What was the question?

Oh you are desperate to be offended aren't you?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 18:41 - Dec 3 with 4355 viewsBent_double

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 16:44 - Dec 3 by Darth_Koont

All-in-all I think you're pretty fair but how did Mick throw a bit of "over-the-top personal abuse" back at the fans?

That's the point, I think. It got way too personal from some fans - and I don't blame Mick for still being peed off or unwilling to just forget about it.

The over-the-top personal abuse was by fans directed at Mick.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 18:47 - Dec 3 with 4349 viewsDarth_Koont

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 18:41 - Dec 3 by Bent_double

The over-the-top personal abuse was by fans directed at Mick.

I know but my point was that he's not fighting fire with fire and getting personal back.

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 20:18 - Dec 3 with 4313 viewsrosseden

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 11:20 - Dec 3 by Hipsterectomy

Mick himself has even said it's his decision not the clubs or fans. He's far more likely to leave because he wants to or gets a better offer than he is to stay, particularly if he does do well until the end of the season.

Think it's certain he's gone in the summer.

the way i see it, ME has a two year option on MM and TC, so if MM/TC resign, but ME has triggered the 2 years, someone has to pay ME for his services as he would be under contract, unless ME decides not to trigger it, and MM decides to leave anyway, and then he can go where he wants. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him stay.....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 20:26 - Dec 3 with 4312 viewsPhilTWTD

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 14:06 - Dec 3 by SWGF

Agree. However McCarthy is the one who has the stage/platform to offer the olive branch rather than poking fans with a stick after victories even though it's the minority who have been vocal.

To be fair to Mick, he was asked a question along the lines of fans not being able to complain about entertainment levels after a game like yesterday's, so it wasn't as if he brought the matter up out of the blue, even if he did give a rather unnecessary response. He was clearly very irked by the Burton chanting.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 20:35 - Dec 3 with 4294 viewsPJH

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 20:26 - Dec 3 by PhilTWTD

To be fair to Mick, he was asked a question along the lines of fans not being able to complain about entertainment levels after a game like yesterday's, so it wasn't as if he brought the matter up out of the blue, even if he did give a rather unnecessary response. He was clearly very irked by the Burton chanting.

As I said earlier in this thread I think that every time that he gets asked such questions his trigger response is going to be referencing Burton(and Wigan and Fulham away and Rotherham at home last season)because he has been deeply hurt by the abuse he received and the abuse his team received either direct or implied.
I was hurt by being part of the ITFC support on those four occasions so I can only imagine how it felt to MM and his team.
I think that in his situation I would not be forgiving and forgetting and I would probably make sure that everyone was aware that I had not forgiven and forgotten.
Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 08:09 - Dec 4 with 4215 viewsHerbivore

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 20:26 - Dec 3 by PhilTWTD

And I don't really blame him to be fair. He's held his hands up several times and acknowledged that last season was a load of guff and although the abuse went over the top he doesn't seem to be carrying too much of a grudge about some of the negativity from last season. However this season we've started well and have been trying to play better, more attacking football whilst struggling with a horrendous injury list so I can understand why after a couple of poor showings he's pretty miffed at the kind of chanting he got at Burton.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Now a decent time to wipe the Mick slate? on 09:59 - Dec 4 with 4193 viewsstickymockwell

Well, the wife is out!!!

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024