Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flat earth 10:16 - Nov 14 with 8731 viewsDyland

Good example of how music defines the tone in AV production.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/41973119/why-do-people-still-think-the-earth-is-fla

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Flat earth on 11:06 - Nov 14 with 8701 viewsWeWereZombies

Pedantic point - whilst earth can be made relatively flat (rollers, extreme raking and so on) the Earth is round...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Flat earth on 11:35 - Nov 14 with 8675 viewsfactual_blue

Flat earth on 11:06 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

Pedantic point - whilst earth can be made relatively flat (rollers, extreme raking and so on) the Earth is round...

'Point of pedantry'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Flat earth on 12:01 - Nov 14 with 8669 viewsStirlingArcher

I had a flat earther talk to me recently

apparently the "edge" is made of ice walls protected by the government (which one he couldn't answer)

Gravity doesn't exist - just what goes up, comes down (I know... that IS gravity in simple terms)

Stumped him with this though...
If a high powered telescope can see the moon surface clearly, why can't you see Mount Everest from pretty much anywhere with a similarily strong viewing device?
example I gave was the middle of an ocean, so nothing immediately high to get in the way.

He has yet to reply to me

*yes I'm aware there are "better" examples as to why it is round, but you have to "play them at their own game"
Flat earth on 12:11 - Nov 14 with 8656 viewsSwansea_Blue

Flat earth on 12:01 - Nov 14 by StirlingArcher

I had a flat earther talk to me recently

apparently the "edge" is made of ice walls protected by the government (which one he couldn't answer)

Gravity doesn't exist - just what goes up, comes down (I know... that IS gravity in simple terms)

Stumped him with this though...
If a high powered telescope can see the moon surface clearly, why can't you see Mount Everest from pretty much anywhere with a similarily strong viewing device?
example I gave was the middle of an ocean, so nothing immediately high to get in the way.

He has yet to reply to me

*yes I'm aware there are "better" examples as to why it is round, but you have to "play them at their own game"

Duh! The lizard people protect Everest from prying eyes using a Refraktomatik 400 from Moose Industries Inc. I thought everyone knew that!

I thought that beeb piece was incredibly condescending. Ok, maybe flate earthers are nutjobs, but did they really need to emphasise the point so emphatically?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Beyond condescending on 12:19 - Nov 14 with 8647 viewsDyland

Flat earth on 12:11 - Nov 14 by Swansea_Blue

Duh! The lizard people protect Everest from prying eyes using a Refraktomatik 400 from Moose Industries Inc. I thought everyone knew that!

I thought that beeb piece was incredibly condescending. Ok, maybe flate earthers are nutjobs, but did they really need to emphasise the point so emphatically?

With silly music, almost circus style, it's just taking the piss.

If it had a menacing peril style soundtrack it would be different.

To be fair to the BBC, the people are just so stupid you have to laugh?

Beyond condescending on 12:40 - Nov 14 with 8634 viewsSwansea_Blue

Beyond condescending on 12:19 - Nov 14 by Dyland

Maybe that's the case; they certainly seem that way in the clip. I certainly wouldn't want them getting equal treatment and airtime, such as the beeb gave UKIP before they had any MPs. So maybe it is for the best that they just take the pee.

There was a detailed piece in a broadsheet a year or two back about the psychology of flat earthers and the pervasive nature of their idea. The reasons behind it make for some quite interesting reading.

Flat earth on 13:38 - Nov 14 with 8598 viewsjeera

Those on the clip are deadpan comedians, right?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Beyond condescending on 14:19 - Nov 14 with 8574 viewsWeWereZombies

Beyond condescending on 12:19 - Nov 14 by Dyland

I'm doing a forensics MOOC at the moment and, surprisingly, I have just read a paper by Issac Asimov that allows a more sympathetic view of those who think the Earth is flat (providing they lived more than five hundred years ago):

http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Login to get fewer ads

Flat earth on 14:30 - Nov 14 with 8563 viewslowhouseblue

I like the answer to the question "how do you know the earth is flat?" ... "well, I've watched over 50 hours of video."

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

And here's the nub on 15:36 - Nov 14 with 8521 viewsDyland

Beyond condescending on 14:19 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

I'm doing a forensics MOOC at the moment and, surprisingly, I have just read a paper by Issac Asimov that allows a more sympathetic view of those who think the Earth is flat (providing they lived more than five hundred years ago):

http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

"The basic trouble, you see, is that people think that "right" and "wrong" are absolute; that everything that isn't perfectly and completely right is totally and equally wrong."

Flat earth on 16:46 - Nov 14 with 8485 viewsjimsymBLUE

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Flat earth on 17:06 - Nov 14 with 8474 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Love the website, they give shaquille o neil his full Dr title to give his backing of them full credibility.
The FAQs are brilliant too, the first tells you all you need to know. Is this site a joke?!
https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 17:13]
Flat earth on 17:22 - Nov 14 with 8456 viewsSwansea_Blue

Flat earth on 17:06 - Nov 14 by Axeldalai_lama

Love the website, they give shaquille o neil his full Dr title to give his backing of them full credibility.
The FAQs are brilliant too, the first tells you all you need to know. Is this site a joke?!
https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions
[Post edited 14 Nov 2017 17:13]

I love the evidence section . Absolutely bonkers. Although the surface of my coffee does appear flat...hmm 🤔

Flat earth on 17:41 - Nov 14 with 8441 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Saw that video earlier. Just wilful ignorance, that's what it is. And loving a conspiracy theory, no doubt.

As a keen stargazer, I'd love for one of them to explain to me how they think the star field works above a flat earth. And why somebody in the USA and someone in Australia sees different stars revolving around different points at different orientations. Or, rather more fundamentally, why it's day in some countries at the same time it's night in others.

I can only assume a lot of these people don't travel beyond their own borders, or speak to anyone from other countries. They'd rather just watch "over fifty hours of video".

(Upon hearing which I would immediately have responded with "more than".)
Flat earth on 18:15 - Nov 14 with 8409 viewsjeera

Flat earth on 17:41 - Nov 14 by NoCanariesAllowed

Saw that video earlier. Just wilful ignorance, that's what it is. And loving a conspiracy theory, no doubt.

As a keen stargazer, I'd love for one of them to explain to me how they think the star field works above a flat earth. And why somebody in the USA and someone in Australia sees different stars revolving around different points at different orientations. Or, rather more fundamentally, why it's day in some countries at the same time it's night in others.

I can only assume a lot of these people don't travel beyond their own borders, or speak to anyone from other countries. They'd rather just watch "over fifty hours of video".

Of course there's strong evidence of the whole thing being held up by elephants, who in turn are supported by a turtle, but that's just common knowledge..

I don't think they're serious. (Are they!?).

I always believed the whole thing was just a bit of fun by some people who have even less of a life than J2.

Or even me for that matter.

I assume there's one or 2 gullible weirdos who genuinely get sucked in but you always find that don't you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Flat earth on 20:21 - Nov 14 with 8370 viewsClausThomsen

Flat earth on 18:15 - Nov 14 by jeera

Of course there's strong evidence of the whole thing being held up by elephants, who in turn are supported by a turtle, but that's just common knowledge..

I don't think they're serious. (Are they!?).

I always believed the whole thing was just a bit of fun by some people who have even less of a life than J2.

Or even me for that matter.

I assume there's one or 2 gullible weirdos who genuinely get sucked in but you always find that don't you.

Flat Earth is the first conspiracy theory brought to you by the CIA.

It's been contrived simply to make the other theories look ridiculous - the association is made in the media time and time again. Why are the BBC giving it a platform?

Now every dialogue about conspiracy has been spammed with this nonsense.

RIP The Internet
Flat earth on 22:50 - Nov 14 with 8326 viewsLankHenners

Flat earth on 17:41 - Nov 14 by NoCanariesAllowed

Did we ever do 'flat Earther brings spirit level onto plane to prove the Earth is flat' on here?

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/flatearthers-experiment-goes-viral-just-no

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Flat earth on 23:12 - Nov 14 with 8312 viewsSwansea_Blue

Flat earth on 14:30 - Nov 14 by lowhouseblue

I like the answer to the question "how do you know the earth is flat?" ... "well, I've watched over 50 hours of video."

It's nice to know what CIL looks like though!

Sorry CIL

Flat earth on 12:10 - Nov 15 with 8237 viewsNo9

Flat earth on 22:50 - Nov 14 by LankHenners

Did we ever do 'flat Earther brings spirit level onto plane to prove the Earth is flat' on here?

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/flatearthers-experiment-goes-viral-just-no

An American ?
Not surprising I worked for an American company once where an employee sent round an e-mail (to everyone) to say no-one should fly in Airbus planes because the pull down tables were magnetic and destroyed the laptop hard disc - I kid you not
Flat earth on 13:07 - Nov 15 with 8219 viewsWeWereZombies

Flat earth on 12:10 - Nov 15 by No9

An American ?
Not surprising I worked for an American company once where an employee sent round an e-mail (to everyone) to say no-one should fly in Airbus planes because the pull down tables were magnetic and destroyed the laptop hard disc - I kid you not

I can believe it, but then again I worked for a multi- national where a fax was sent from the East London factory that personal computers should not be let in the building because they contained PCBs. You see, to a chemist PCB stands for polychlorinated biphenyl...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024