Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? 15:47 - Sep 22 with 23590 viewsVic

I naively thought that negotiating is about having a bit of give and take - but so far I've seen nothing from the EU that suggests they are willing to 'give' anything. Looks a lot like 'you give and I take.'

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:48 - Sep 22 with 5877 viewsDarth_Koont

We need a deal with them. Relatively speaking, they don't need a deal with us. Or certainly don't need to lead the way in the concessions.

The ball has always been in our court once we triggered article 50. But we don't know what to do with it. At least politically given how, from the very start, this whole sorry mess has mostly been about keeping clueless xenophobes happy. As J2 points out, they've been promised a win but in reality we can only deliver a narrow loss on away goals.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:52 - Sep 22 with 5863 viewsPendejo

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:48 - Sep 22 by Darth_Koont

We need a deal with them. Relatively speaking, they don't need a deal with us. Or certainly don't need to lead the way in the concessions.

The ball has always been in our court once we triggered article 50. But we don't know what to do with it. At least politically given how, from the very start, this whole sorry mess has mostly been about keeping clueless xenophobes happy. As J2 points out, they've been promised a win but in reality we can only deliver a narrow loss on away goals.

They need our money...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:58 - Sep 22 with 5856 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:52 - Sep 22 by Pendejo

They need our money...

Do they need our vetos and opt-outs over the years? And they'll get the money via the new trade arrangement - I suspect they'll make more out of the "special" deal to keep our financial sector intact than any EU contributions in the past.

And we'll pay up. A bad resolution to the passporting issue alone could set our economy off on a downhill slide.

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:00 - Sep 22 with 5844 viewsblueislander

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:48 - Sep 22 by Darth_Koont

Surely the Brexiteers can't be happy with the PM's latest offer? Bit of a capitulation it seems to me.
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:05 - Sep 22 with 5833 viewsjas0999

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 15:51 - Sep 22 by MattinLondon

Why should they? Britain is the one whose leaving.

Indeed. They hold all the cards.
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:09 - Sep 22 with 5828 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:00 - Sep 22 by blueislander

Surely the Brexiteers can't be happy with the PM's latest offer? Bit of a capitulation it seems to me.

There was always going to be a capitulation of some sort - and I think this is just the first in a series.

If the government didn't have such a blatant party political and electoral agenda, they'd have admitted to it immediately after the vote and there'd have been some logical connection to May and the others' essential Remain position.

It's all about putting on a show and trying to limit the political damage. With the UK economy and its people coming an inexcusable second.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 17:16]

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:23 - Sep 22 with 5793 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 15:56 - Sep 22 by J2BLUE

Yes, great, so everyone in an unhappy marriage should stay because their partner doesn't want them to go? Come on, grow up.

If we are married to the EU does that make Greece their sub-dom sex slave, kept locked up in the torture room?
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:28 - Sep 22 with 5788 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:23 - Sep 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

If we are married to the EU does that make Greece their sub-dom sex slave, kept locked up in the torture room?

Greece? Isn't that the one that burnt all their own clothes and spent all their money on a gimp mask? Then turned round and said "we've been a very bad boy"?

Us and the Greeks always had control. Us and the Greeks can't handle the responsibility or deal with the consequences. I feel sorry for the innocent majority of the British and Greek populations.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:44 - Sep 22 with 5762 viewsFtnfwest

We're stuffed. What if Ryanair carry out their threat to leave as well?
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:50 - Sep 22 with 5750 viewsFtnfwest

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 17:00 - Sep 22 by blueislander

If she gets away with that we're doing well. We would have paid 3 times that for things we'd signed up to if we had stayed in
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 18:31 - Sep 22 with 5720 viewsBlueBadger

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:13 - Sep 22 by homer_123

I've seen quite a few 'business leaders' say recently that we should just leave. I think Dyson is one who has talked recently about this.

I.e. just leave and trade under WTO rules. He did make quite an interesting point. Something along the lines of the EU not being a single trading block at all. In short, you have comply with all the local requirements anyway, everything from plugs and power units to language and manuals!

Those local requirements are generally based around minimum EU standards though...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 18:39 - Sep 22 with 5717 viewsVic

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:25 - Sep 22 by meekreech

The EU do not negotiate they dictate ! If you are looking to upset the non-democratic bureaucracy by leaving they will find any number of ways to frustrate the process . The gravy train must not be disturbed by anyone who wants self determination and government or anything else which takes away the power exerted by Germany .

We have a winner - this is the correct answer!

Always been the way and always will be. Leaving will be a load of hassle and financially it may not make sense but for me ultimately I'm British not European so I don't want to be part of a federal Europe.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:04 - Sep 22 with 5700 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 18:39 - Sep 22 by Vic

We have a winner - this is the correct answer!

Always been the way and always will be. Leaving will be a load of hassle and financially it may not make sense but for me ultimately I'm British not European so I don't want to be part of a federal Europe.

I'd rather get past the unhelpful and frequently damaging obsession with nationality and deal better with reality.

After all, we have the individual, family, community and humanity. Where does nationality really fit in any more? It can do - no reason why we can't all get behind our national sports teams or express shared cultural, political, economic and social beliefs but nationality is nothing like the priority it once was for a whole host of reasons.

You can for example be British AND European like me and millions of others. There is literally nothing stopping you.

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:04 - Sep 22 with 5699 viewsDanTheMan

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 18:31 - Sep 22 by BlueBadger

Those local requirements are generally based around minimum EU standards though...

Seeing as we seem to be going for a non Norwegian or Swiss model, I think a hell of a lot of IT companies are going to struggle at all to work easily with anyone within the EU unless they sort out what the hell they are doing post-Brexit with data protection, especially as it took the US a good two years to sort out Privacy Shield so they could swap data.

Seeing as a lot of companies have got to deal with GDPR, they then might have to deal with a second round of changes.

Unless of course we just decide to not share data, which would be even more fun. You either say sod it and stop trading or move all your data to European servers.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 19:06]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:12 - Sep 22 with 5685 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stalling, rather than capitulation I reckon (although there are certainly elements of the latter). It's thoroughly bizarre - specifically discounting a future relationship based on the Norway model, but then asking for an extension based on.....the Norway model. I wonder what odds you get on what amounts to an extension request being extended again, and again, and again....?

I also get the feeling this speech was less about the EU and more about May trying to appease the disparate elements of her party. We still don't seem focused on the job in hand, which does kind of play to CIL's 'we won't be leaving' theory.

You don't know what you're doing,
You don't know what you're doing....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:17 - Sep 22 with 5676 viewsbluejacko

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 16:14 - Sep 22 by tcblue

In private and public, the gigantic balls up our government is making of it is the only plus point in the whole Brexit thing for me.

It's hilarious yet frightening, just like the last few minutes of a Town game under Paul Jewell when we had a one goal lead.

How is it a balls up?
Our govt sits at the table puts forward our views and all we get back is NON!
You can't negotiate with someone who has no intention of giving us a deal in the first place.
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:22 - Sep 22 with 5662 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:04 - Sep 22 by Darth_Koont

I'd rather get past the unhelpful and frequently damaging obsession with nationality and deal better with reality.

After all, we have the individual, family, community and humanity. Where does nationality really fit in any more? It can do - no reason why we can't all get behind our national sports teams or express shared cultural, political, economic and social beliefs but nationality is nothing like the priority it once was for a whole host of reasons.

You can for example be British AND European like me and millions of others. There is literally nothing stopping you.

Weren't you keen to not be British quite recently?
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:28 - Sep 22 with 5655 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:22 - Sep 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

Weren't you keen to not be British quite recently?

I'll always be British. But I've had enough of putting up with crap British politics and governments.

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:32 - Sep 22 with 5637 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:28 - Sep 22 by Darth_Koont

I'll always be British. But I've had enough of putting up with crap British politics and governments.

We're a small country with small country problems, namely that we don't have the leverage of economies like the USA in order to build global business.

Being part of the EU has done absolutely nothing to help us
Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:33 - Sep 22 with 5632 viewsGeoffSentence

Checkers are on a cash grab. They want to pick our pockets.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:34 - Sep 22 with 5630 viewsnoggin

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:17 - Sep 22 by bluejacko

How is it a balls up?
Our govt sits at the table puts forward our views and all we get back is NON!
You can't negotiate with someone who has no intention of giving us a deal in the first place.

Why should they?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:35 - Sep 22 with 5609 viewscaught-in-limbo

Since the referendum in excess of 700 EU laws have made the UK's statute books. Additionally, the UK's armed forces have been scaled down significantly in the last decade, and new bilateral and trilateral defence agreements are being made with numerous EU countries.

Perhaps EU countries realise that there's actually going to be no Brexit at all, apart from a few minor changes to previous immigration agreements.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:39 - Sep 22 with 5618 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:32 - Sep 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

We're a small country with small country problems, namely that we don't have the leverage of economies like the USA in order to build global business.

Being part of the EU has done absolutely nothing to help us

Eh? Even if your last line was remotely true, how are we going to compete with other economies without the leverage of the EU.

I don't think being economically annexed by the US counts. That may put money in pockets and more processed food on tables but ultimately we need the leverage of economies that have the slightest grasp of sustainability and the challenges that face the world. Look around and tell me which other significant voice apart from the EU shares our better values?

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:51 - Sep 22 with 5572 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 19:34 - Sep 22 by noggin

Why should they?

Steady. You'll be accused of being pro-EU.

Rather than pro-reality.

Is it just me that thinks the EU has shown no sign of 'negotiating' yet? on 20:06 - Sep 22 with 5554 viewsNo9

The EU isn't kicking the UK out.
The UK wants to leave but has made no preparation at all since the referendum.

You can find the rules and minutes of meetings on the EU website.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024