Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tom Lawrence 08:04 - Aug 15 with 4227 viewsblue442

Off to derby for 7 milkion. Means we will have to play him twice.
Strange they rejected the first offer of 7 million if this is the case

Poll: Would Chambers play if he wasnt captain

Tom Lawrence on 08:06 - Aug 15 with 3100 viewsReuser_is_God

Oh no I'm sh1tting myself.

I'd imagine the first offer was rejected because Leicester didn't like how the instalments were going to be paid.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Tom Lawrence on 08:09 - Aug 15 with 3069 viewsitfcjoe

Can't say I'm overly worried at prospect of playing him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tom Lawrence on 08:13 - Aug 15 with 3046 viewsNewcyBlue

7 milkion? Pull the udder one...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

on 08:14 - Aug 15 with 3047 views_

Tom Lawrence on 08:17 - Aug 15 with 3015 viewsHerbivore

on 08:14 - Aug 15 by _

He is very good. Next you'll be telling us Didz is overrated!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tom Lawrence on 08:21 - Aug 15 with 2987 viewstcblue

He really dug us out of the crapper last season but I still think Fraser was a better player and Celina looks at least as good.
on 08:22 - Aug 15 with 2980 views_

Tom Lawrence on 08:17 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

He is very good. Next you'll be telling us Didz is overrated!

Tom Lawrence on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 2933 viewsblue442

Tom Lawrence on 08:13 - Aug 15 by NewcyBlue

7 milkion? Pull the udder one...

How aMOOsing

Poll: Would Chambers play if he wasnt captain

Login to get fewer ads

Tom Lawrence on 08:33 - Aug 15 with 2920 viewschicoazul

Derby make me laugh.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tom Lawrence on 08:36 - Aug 15 with 2892 viewsElderGrizzly

Tom Lawrence on 08:09 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Can't say I'm overly worried at prospect of playing him

I'm more surprised he hasn't taken one of the PL options open to him being reported.

If he was going to get a move to another PL club, it was off the back of last season
Tom Lawrence on 08:38 - Aug 15 with 2882 viewsitfcjoe

Tom Lawrence on 08:36 - Aug 15 by ElderGrizzly

I'm more surprised he hasn't taken one of the PL options open to him being reported.

If he was going to get a move to another PL club, it was off the back of last season

I heard towards end of last season that him to Derby was a done deal - increase in wages up to either £25k or £30k a week.

Obviously wasn't as done as this person made out, but it must have been in the pipeline for ages.

The only way someone like Lawrence will get a proper opportunity in the PL is with one of the newly promoted sides or to get promoted - and in reality Derby probably pay as much as Huddersfield and Brighton without relegation clauses which will mean he is on less in this league if they do go down!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tom Lawrence on 08:40 - Aug 15 with 2871 viewsKieran_Knows

Tom Lawrence on 08:36 - Aug 15 by ElderGrizzly

He was never going to be playing Prem football this season, not a chance.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Tom Lawrence on 08:44 - Aug 15 with 2852 viewsm14_blue

Tom Lawrence on 08:21 - Aug 15 by tcblue

He really dug us out of the crapper last season but I still think Fraser was a better player and Celina looks at least as good.

Fraser was (and is) in a different class to Lawrence.

His injury was where it all started to go wrong.
Tom Lawrence on 09:25 - Aug 15 with 2742 viewsSwailsey

I love how TL is now a terrible player once he has left us.

He was never in the same league as Fraser, but he still kept us up last year and was head and shoulders our best outfield player.

People are funny.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Tom Lawrence on 09:41 - Aug 15 with 2673 viewstcblue

Tom Lawrence on 09:25 - Aug 15 by Swailsey

He was never in the same league as Fraser, but he still kept us up last year and was head and shoulders our best outfield player.

People are funny.

Nobody has said he is a terrible player, homeslice
Tom Lawrence on 09:51 - Aug 15 with 2632 viewsHeathlander

Tom Lawrence on 09:41 - Aug 15 by tcblue

Nobody has said he is a terrible player, homeslice

Homeslice!!! Had to look that up on the urban dictionary.

I like it, gonna start using it.
Tom Lawrence on 09:55 - Aug 15 with 2611 viewsSteve_M

People are funny.

I think, and did at the time, that the run of goals from December to February masked a degree of streakiness in form. He's a very good player but not yet consistently good enough to play at a higher level.

He should do well for Derby but I still hope they feck things up again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Tom Lawrence on 09:59 - Aug 15 with 2584 viewsKieran_Knows

Tom Lawrence on 09:55 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

I think, and did at the time, that the run of goals from December to February masked a degree of streakiness in form. He's a very good player but not yet consistently good enough to play at a higher level.

Spot on. He's a very good player, and whilst he hit that purple patch between December and February, where everything he hit, flew in (and ultimately them goals, as well as Bart being in top form probably kept us up), I can't honestly remember him doing all that much throughout the course of the season.

Agree with you, I think he's a very good player, and all the best to him, but IMHO, I never saw him going back to Leicester to become a first team player there, or neither at any other Prem club.

Tom Lawrence on 10:00 - Aug 15 with 2576 viewsPJH

Tom Lawrence on 09:55 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

He was certainly "on fire" in that spell you mentioned but in retrospect he did not do a great deal either side of that spell.
I agree that he is a good player but probably inconsistent.
Also agree that he should do well at Derby and certainly agree that I hope that they again make a mess of it.
Tom Lawrence on 10:03 - Aug 15 with 2555 viewsGuthrum

People are funny.

I don't think he was a terrible player (clearly not), but neither was he so much better than someone like Huws that he is worth more than seven times as much.

Being head-and-shoulders above the rest of our outfield team in terms of effectiveness last season was not a difficult thing - and a lot of that came from his long-range shooting ability, by which he was able to get those vital goals.

Very glad we had him on loan. Would be happy to have got Lawrence on a permanent basis, but not at anywhere near that kind of money.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tom Lawrence on 10:07 - Aug 15 with 2534 viewsPJH

Tom Lawrence on 10:03 - Aug 15 by Guthrum

I don't think he was a terrible player (clearly not), but neither was he so much better than someone like Huws that he is worth more than seven times as much.

Being head-and-shoulders above the rest of our outfield team in terms of effectiveness last season was not a difficult thing - and a lot of that came from his long-range shooting ability, by which he was able to get those vital goals.

Very glad we had him on loan. Would be happy to have got Lawrence on a permanent basis, but not at anywhere near that kind of money.

The only part of your post that I would dispute is "but not at anywhere near that kind of money".
We would not be paying anything like £7m for a player BUT in the current financial climate I would say that Lawrence is worth £7m or more.
Tom Lawrence on 10:15 - Aug 15 with 2493 viewsRadlett_blue

Tom Lawrence on 09:59 - Aug 15 by Kieran_Knows

Spot on. He's a very good player, and whilst he hit that purple patch between December and February, where everything he hit, flew in (and ultimately them goals, as well as Bart being in top form probably kept us up), I can't honestly remember him doing all that much throughout the course of the season.

Agree with you, I think he's a very good player, and all the best to him, but IMHO, I never saw him going back to Leicester to become a first team player there, or neither at any other Prem club.

I think some are underestimating him. 11 goals from midfield from 36 games is decent enough in a good team & we were a poor team for most of last season. Will be interesting to see what he does in a supposedly better team (although Derby have made a typical stuttering start). However, he will be more of a marked man this season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Tom Lawrence on 10:22 - Aug 15 with 2465 viewsGuthrum

Tom Lawrence on 10:07 - Aug 15 by PJH

The only part of your post that I would dispute is "but not at anywhere near that kind of money".
We would not be paying anything like £7m for a player BUT in the current financial climate I would say that Lawrence is worth £7m or more.

Yes, that's true.

I was thinking more from the perspective of Ipswich, rather than the whole Championship (especially the freer-spending clubs like Derby).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tom Lawrence on 10:25 - Aug 15 with 2450 viewsKieran_Knows

Tom Lawrence on 10:15 - Aug 15 by Radlett_blue

I think some are underestimating him. 11 goals from midfield from 36 games is decent enough in a good team & we were a poor team for most of last season. Will be interesting to see what he does in a supposedly better team (although Derby have made a typical stuttering start). However, he will be more of a marked man this season.

As I say, i'm certainly not underestimating him, he was a very good player for us ... I just don't think he's Prem quality. 11 goals from 36 games is very good, but if you take the 8 goals in 8 games out (I think it was that), you're looking at 3 goals in 28 matches, which is on about par with what the rest of our midfielders were on.

Good player, very grateful he did hit that purple patch, as otherwise, without them goals, and Bart in form, we probably would have been a lot closer to going down.

Tom Lawrence on 11:25 - Aug 15 with 2361 viewsSwailsey

Tom Lawrence on 10:25 - Aug 15 by Kieran_Knows

As I say, i'm certainly not underestimating him, he was a very good player for us ... I just don't think he's Prem quality. 11 goals from 36 games is very good, but if you take the 8 goals in 8 games out (I think it was that), you're looking at 3 goals in 28 matches, which is on about par with what the rest of our midfielders were on.

Good player, very grateful he did hit that purple patch, as otherwise, without them goals, and Bart in form, we probably would have been a lot closer to going down.

Apologies if I came across as dismissive of people's opinions - a lot more has been said on Facebook and Twitter about him, along the lines of "good riddance, never needed him anyway, overrated".

It didn't take much to stand out last year, but he did - and whilst he isn't Prem quality (or certainly not Prem top 10 quality), he is certainly a very good player, who is easily good enough for a top team in this division.

He didn't do a lot other than score goals, but he did win a lot of fouls, kept other players distracted and was generally a thorn in the side of other players.

£7 million seems about right in this climate, but it is a huge amount.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024