Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. 20:33 - Jul 21 with 18656 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes, I know, look at me etc....

But after a major health scare in the family in recent months, it made me realise how important being fit and healthy is and that I was taking it for granted.... being virtually 16 stone and a complete couch potato wasn't really particularly fit or healthy, so I decided to do something about it. Lost a stone and feel fitter, so all good.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:33 - Jul 24 with 2892 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Can I just say, I love this thread.

I was reading it before I did my run and it made me go out and do it.

To see so many people saying about their times and their new PBs and everything. Genuinely great stuff TWTD.

I think this is my favourite thread of 2017 so far.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:39 - Jul 24 with 2883 viewsTLA

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:28 - Jul 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm 5"10 as well mate

My running style/stride is pretty good as i used to get slaughtered when I was with Hornchurch for various parts of it and they effectively whipped me into shape on that part.

The problem I have had the last year or so on my 5ks and 10ks is that my opening 2k is too quick. I've been trying really hard to sort my splits out to 5 minutes ish per KM but every time my opening 2k is 4:30 and 4:30. And my last 1k is about the same as well.

I'd keep looking as I'm going along but I don't like losing my running rhythm having to get my phone out the pocket to check my app.

According to the app today's splits were much better with the first 1000m was 5:03 so I'm chuffed to have paced myself better.

The 4th km was a tad slower than the first three but that's ok as the last 700m was effectively run at 1500m speed with a kick at the end.

Perhaps that's the key to it, sorting the opening splits out to not go off too fast and settle into a rhythm and it keeps the time down.

Think I've sorted my own problem from this rambles reply so I'll 'add reply' anyway. Show you my thinking. Method behind the madness eh? ;)

When I used to run I had the same problem in races - setting off way too quickly. My best half marathon time was my worst race - I did the first 8-9 miles at about 7:30 minutes per mile, which I was nowhere near fit enough to sustain and then I broke down and walked. I did it in 1:53 but walked for at least two miles.

I found buying a Garmin watch (they're pretty cheap second hand) helped loads with pacing. You can set a time and 'race' a virtual buddy who keeps that pace.

Now I'd struggle with doing one mile in 10 minutes...
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:45 - Jul 24 with 2874 viewsBluebell

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:39 - Jul 24 by TLA

When I used to run I had the same problem in races - setting off way too quickly. My best half marathon time was my worst race - I did the first 8-9 miles at about 7:30 minutes per mile, which I was nowhere near fit enough to sustain and then I broke down and walked. I did it in 1:53 but walked for at least two miles.

I found buying a Garmin watch (they're pretty cheap second hand) helped loads with pacing. You can set a time and 'race' a virtual buddy who keeps that pace.

I don't run!

But I have started walking much more than I ever did and that is since getting a Fitbit for my birthday a few months ago. It gives me the incentive to exceed my target each week.

Luckily I have a friend who walks with me which makes it much more enjoyable as we spend the whole time talking! I also walk my son's dog as often as I can.

It is surprising how much better you feel after excercise too.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 8:51]
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:48 - Jul 24 with 2870 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:39 - Jul 24 by TLA

Ooh a virtual pacer.

I like the idea of that.

I'll have a look later today about that TLA. Cheers

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:49 - Jul 24 with 2867 viewsTLA

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:45 - Jul 24 by Bluebell

I don't run!

But I have started walking much more than I ever did and that is since getting a Fitbit for my birthday a few months ago. It gives me the incentive to exceed my target each week.

Luckily I have a friend who walks with me which makes it much more enjoyable as we spend the whole time talking! I also walk my son's dog as often as I can.

I think things like Fitbits really work. People say that you can just walk anyway but they are definitely an incentive.

I love long walks, especially when I'm on holiday, checking out a new place. Then I tend to use a phone app to see how far I've done.

Exercise definitely makes you feel better - I think I need to do some!
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:50 - Jul 24 with 2867 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:45 - Jul 24 by Bluebell

I don't run!

Good stuff BB

There's no greater buzz than seeing how far you've run or walked or what time you've set at the end of a long'un.

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:51 - Jul 24 with 2859 viewsGlasgowBlue

My last half marathon was 1.39. Like you I set off far too quickly but managed to keep a decent pace for the final 3 miles when I thought I was going to hit the wall.

If I run on my own I'm far slower but in an organised race the competitive mindset kicks in.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 2856 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don't run!

Any exercise is good BB. No mattter how fast or how far you are going to feel better.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:55 - Jul 24 with 2851 viewsBluebell

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:49 - Jul 24 by TLA

I think things like Fitbits really work. People say that you can just walk anyway but they are definitely an incentive.

I love long walks, especially when I'm on holiday, checking out a new place. Then I tend to use a phone app to see how far I've done.

Exercise definitely makes you feel better - I think I need to do some!

Agreed. I love walking when on holiday.

We have several books with circulars walks in different parts of this country. We tend to do the 6 to 8 miles ones. Great to do and they usually have a pub half way round to break for a drink or lunch.

There are some lovely walks around Suffolk and we have done a lot of them.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 9:05]
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:57 - Jul 24 with 2851 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:53 - Jul 24 by GlasgowBlue

Any exercise is good BB. No mattter how fast or how far you are going to feel better.

Well said GB

Good time with that half marathon as well. Very impressive I think.

I've never done one so I'm not sure how I'd fare but I reckon yours is pretty quick on the clock

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:59 - Jul 24 with 2846 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:55 - Jul 24 by Bluebell

Agreed. I love walking when on holiday.

We have several books with circulars walks in different parts of this country. We tend to do the 6 to 8 miles ones. Great to do and they usually have a pub half way round to break for a drink or lunch.

There are some lovely walks around Suffolk and we have done a lot of them.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 9:05]

I think I'd keep my consistency of number of runs up if I had the lovely countryside many of you have but unfortunately there's not much siteseeingg round here.

I occasionally treat myself to a run from Romford through rush green and hornchurch to Elm Park ans back but that's about it.

I've always thought living along a beach would be amazing for early morning runs. How lovely would that be to do with the sun coming up at 6am

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:09 - Jul 24 with 2834 viewsBluebell

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:59 - Jul 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I think I'd keep my consistency of number of runs up if I had the lovely countryside many of you have but unfortunately there's not much siteseeingg round here.

I occasionally treat myself to a run from Romford through rush green and hornchurch to Elm Park ans back but that's about it.

I've always thought living along a beach would be amazing for early morning runs. How lovely would that be to do with the sun coming up at 6am

I would love to live near a beach and would spend many hours there if I did.

My sister in law lives in South Africa and is a mile form an incredible beach but never goes there. When we visit we are there every day walking for miles.

I suppose it is different if you live somewhere like that. People often ask me about Oxford and how great it must be to visit the museums etc. To be honest I have never been in most of them and I have lived here all my life!
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:11 - Jul 24 with 2834 viewsTLA

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:51 - Jul 24 by GlasgowBlue

My last half marathon was 1.39. Like you I set off far too quickly but managed to keep a decent pace for the final 3 miles when I thought I was going to hit the wall.

If I run on my own I'm far slower but in an organised race the competitive mindset kicks in.

That's a cracking time - I reckon if I kept at it and trained properly, I might have made somewhere in the lower 1:40s.

I was always frustrated by my 10K times - my best was only 49 minutes but I did a series of 5 miles races in about 35-36 minutes - that should have meant a 43/44 minute 10K but I was miles off that!

My last Parkrun was 30 minutes - I'm getting old, fat and lazy!
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:20 - Jul 24 with 2828 viewsTLA

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:09 - Jul 24 by Bluebell

My sister in law lives in South Africa and is a mile form an incredible beach but never goes there. When we visit we are there every day walking for miles.

I suppose it is different if you live somewhere like that. People often ask me about Oxford and how great it must be to visit the museums etc. To be honest I have never been in most of them and I have lived here all my life!

I moved from Oxford to Great Yarmouth and people thought that was weird. I can afford to live here though!

I sometimes have a walk down to the beach at dawn - it's lovely. I used to run along the seafront too. We definitely don't go to the beach as much as we should though, given that it's about 100 yards away!

I loved Oxford - the Pitt River museum was my favourite! I also used to have lunch in the grounds of Christchurch college when I worked on St Aldates. Good memories!
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:20 - Jul 24 with 2826 viewssolemio

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:09 - Jul 24 by Bluebell

If you haven't been to the Ashmolean give it a try.

And keep walking. I walk a lot now although I am very ancient; it is just so enjoyable.
One of the saddest spells of my life was after I had to give up running due to injury.
10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 10:19 - Jul 24 with 2810 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:51 - Jul 24 by GlasgowBlue

F*ck me that's a ridiculous time, great work

You're right about the competitive mindset kicking in for races. When I run in a race after the first couple of miles getting settled I tend to just target overtaking the next person, then the next and so on rather than worrying about time, which seems to work a treat

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 10:32 - Jul 24 with 2801 viewsGlasgowBlue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 10:19 - Jul 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

F*ck me that's a ridiculous time, great work

You're right about the competitive mindset kicking in for races. When I run in a race after the first couple of miles getting settled I tend to just target overtaking the next person, then the next and so on rather than worrying about time, which seems to work a treat

I fix my eyes on a fast bird with a cute bum and follow her.

On the last one I was trying to keep up with the pacemaker carrying the 1hr 45min flag and I overtook him about halfway through. I knew I was going to be in a good time when he never caught up with me. I had my Apple Watch giving me constant updates plus great music that I had selected.

Iron Lion Zion

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 11:26 - Jul 24 with 2790 viewsBluebell

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 09:20 - Jul 24 by TLA

I moved from Oxford to Great Yarmouth and people thought that was weird. I can afford to live here though!

I sometimes have a walk down to the beach at dawn - it's lovely. I used to run along the seafront too. We definitely don't go to the beach as much as we should though, given that it's about 100 yards away!

I loved Oxford - the Pitt River museum was my favourite! I also used to have lunch in the grounds of Christchurch college when I worked on St Aldates. Good memories!

We took the children to the Pitt River many years ago. The grounds of Christchurch College are beautiful and I have often walked there.

I used to work in the High Street and my sister worked in St Aldates!
on 11:37 - Jul 24 with 2779 views_

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:28 - Jul 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm 5"10 as well mate

My running style/stride is pretty good as i used to get slaughtered when I was with Hornchurch for various parts of it and they effectively whipped me into shape on that part.

The problem I have had the last year or so on my 5ks and 10ks is that my opening 2k is too quick. I've been trying really hard to sort my splits out to 5 minutes ish per KM but every time my opening 2k is 4:30 and 4:30. And my last 1k is about the same as well.

I'd keep looking as I'm going along but I don't like losing my running rhythm having to get my phone out the pocket to check my app.

According to the app today's splits were much better with the first 1000m was 5:03 so I'm chuffed to have paced myself better.

The 4th km was a tad slower than the first three but that's ok as the last 700m was effectively run at 1500m speed with a kick at the end.

Perhaps that's the key to it, sorting the opening splits out to not go off too fast and settle into a rhythm and it keeps the time down.

Think I've sorted my own problem from this rambles reply so I'll 'add reply' anyway. Show you my thinking. Method behind the madness eh? ;)

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:19 - Jul 24 with 2764 viewsitfcjoe

Any Garmin rcomendations as planning on getting something (Cheap) and don't know where to start

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:29 - Jul 24 with 2753 viewsTractorWood

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 08:03 - Jul 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Just done me run.

Not sure how to link it unless I go via twitter.

Edit - here you are:
[Post edited 24 Jul 2017 8:04]

Good work. Get on Strava though, far superior to any other running app.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:38 - Jul 24 with 2742 viewsTractorWood

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:19 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

Any Garmin rcomendations as planning on getting something (Cheap) and don't know where to start

I have the forerunner 235. It's a fantastic piece of kit. I would recommend it if you are thinking of doing 10k's, half mara's etc. and entering races. The garmin forerunner 35 looks ok but is a bit less polished. I'd be confident it will do the job.

Do have a look at this guy 'DC Rainmaker', he's basiclally the don of athletic tech:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/hands-on-garmins-new-forerunner-35-with-opti

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:38 - Jul 24 with 2741 viewsGlasgowBlue

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:29 - Jul 24 by TractorWood

Good work. Get on Strava though, far superior to any other running app.

I've been using Nike since the days when you used to put a tracker in the sole of your shoe and I wouldn't change to anything else. Doesn't Starva charge a monthly fee?

Iron Lion Zion

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:45 - Jul 24 with 2735 viewsitfcjoe

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:38 - Jul 24 by TractorWood

I have the forerunner 235. It's a fantastic piece of kit. I would recommend it if you are thinking of doing 10k's, half mara's etc. and entering races. The garmin forerunner 35 looks ok but is a bit less polished. I'd be confident it will do the job.

Do have a look at this guy 'DC Rainmaker', he's basiclally the don of athletic tech:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/hands-on-garmins-new-forerunner-35-with-opti

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

Thanks for these - I have a Fitbit Charge which doesn't help much with the running. I just don't want to shell out a load on something which I'll end up giving up in a few months as I normally do.

That garmin 235 looks great, but is probably a bit over specced for someone like me but will have a look at that guy

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:46 - Jul 24 with 2734 viewsTractorWood

10k in 56.27.... 3 mins quicker than the other time I attempted it. on 13:38 - Jul 24 by GlasgowBlue

I've been using Nike since the days when you used to put a tracker in the sole of your shoe and I wouldn't change to anything else. Doesn't Starva charge a monthly fee?

There's a free version which is excellent. There is also a premium version which is £40 or so a year but tracks your fitness, fatigue, freshness, suffering, heart rate etc. etc. and seems aimed at very serious athletes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024