Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? 13:17 - Mar 9 with 4399 viewsYallop

Later this summer my fixed rate mortgage is up. Currently I'm at 3.99% and my same bank are offering 1.9% for a 5 year fixed rate or 2.59% for a 10 year fixed rate.

I'm tempted to sign up for the 10 year deal.

Any mortgage buffs out? I appreciate I could probably get a better rate by shopping around but generally I'm thinking surely rates can't get much lower so it might be worth grabbing a 10 year deal?
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:21 - Mar 9 with 4364 viewsclive_baker

Is there an early repayment fee? If not, or if minimal you might as well take it. If it proves there's better offers out there in 5 years and you regret taking 10 you can re-mortgage with someone else. If not, you're laughing for years 6-10 of the agreement rather than reverting to a higher rate and kicking yourself.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:21 - Mar 9 with 4365 viewstextbackup

We went for a 5 year, only reason being the bloke at bank said 'whilst you don't want it to happen, you never know if you'll split up with wife in years to come'
So as long as we last 5 years more it won't cost to get out of mortgage lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:23 - Mar 9 with 4350 viewsfactual_blue

Please bear in mind that in little more than 10 years all houses across Western Europe will be piles of irradiated rubble.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:27 - Mar 9 with 4315 viewsReuser_is_God

OsborneOneNil is your man.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:31 - Mar 9 with 4300 viewsMark

I always take the lowest rate I can get and use the savings to make overpayments to get the balance down. Currently pay 1.29% variable with Nationwide.

Check if you can make overpayments to get below a Loan to Value (LTV) banding to see the rate drop.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:51 - Mar 9 with 4239 viewsJ2BLUE

I locked in for 5 years in December.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:01 - Mar 9 with 4221 viewsKitman

. You need to speak to a qualified person on this. If you are anywhere near the Gatwick area I could book an appointment..

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:05 - Mar 9 with 4208 viewsYallop

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:21 - Mar 9 by clive_baker

Is there an early repayment fee? If not, or if minimal you might as well take it. If it proves there's better offers out there in 5 years and you regret taking 10 you can re-mortgage with someone else. If not, you're laughing for years 6-10 of the agreement rather than reverting to a higher rate and kicking yourself.

Cheers all. Food for thought.

Yeah Clive just looked 6.5% buy out charge so five years rather than 10 might be best.

I just figured rates can't get much lower so in 5 years time I might regret so not fixing it longer.
Login to get fewer ads

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:08 - Mar 9 with 4196 viewsusm

Take the 5 year and make over payments

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:10 - Mar 9 with 4174 viewsThrobbe

Are you likely to move in that 10 year period. Not all mortgages are portable.

Some providers will agree a rate several months in advance (we've just done this), so you may be able to set up the new mortgage to start as the old one ends and avoid any early payment charges.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:14 - Mar 9 with 4158 viewsVaughan8

I took a 5 year fixed out in November. I just think 10 years seems quite a long time and things could change (I know the same could be said for 5 years).

The 10 year fixed was a bit more % so I just thought take the 5 year and see where I am at the end of it.

As people have said, take the 5 years and overpay.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:36 - Mar 9 with 4116 viewschicoazul

All you need to know is, nobody knows what will happen with the economy or interest rates despite what an IFA or whoever may tell you. so take the rate thats best for you. I would be tempted to go with the 5 yr fix and make overpayments if you are disciplined enough to do so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:37 - Mar 9 with 4111 viewschicoazul

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 13:21 - Mar 9 by textbackup

We went for a 5 year, only reason being the bloke at bank said 'whilst you don't want it to happen, you never know if you'll split up with wife in years to come'
So as long as we last 5 years more it won't cost to get out of mortgage lol

that's the kind of thing blokes at banks are trained to say. He didnt say it for your good, he said it for his.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 18:51 - Mar 9 with 3993 viewsvapour_trail

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:37 - Mar 9 by chicoazul

that's the kind of thing blokes at banks are trained to say. He didnt say it for your good, he said it for his.

Either that or he was shagging texters missus and was working on the insider info ticket

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:00 - Mar 9 with 3973 viewsgreyhound

As a mortgage advisor my discussion would genuinely be look back 10 years and think what has changed for you. Can you look forward 10 years and commit to not reviewing your biggest financial outgoing. Do you genuinely have no expected changes in circumstances, if you were to need to move away from the provider could you stomach the very likely high early repayment charges if they could no longer offer you the mortgage you require. For instance. If you wanted to move and that lender couldn't offer you enough money butbthe one down the road could would you be will to part with several thousand pounds. 5 years is still long term and it reaches way beyond brexit.

On the other hand look at the margins in the payments. Are you prepared to pay x amount a month more for five additional years of stability. What does paying that amount more do for you.

In the last 10 years I have owned 4 houses, married twice had a kid and completed uni as a mature student. As well as leaving a career in finance, starting one in civics and returning back to finance. A 10 year fix would have left me in a difficult place. But mortgages products have their market. It may be right for you. See an advisor in branch and let them analyse your situation and recommend what is right. Go in with an open mind. I can guarantee you will probably end up on a 2 year deal.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:03 - Mar 9 with 3953 viewsgreyhound

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 14:37 - Mar 9 by chicoazul

You wouldn't believe how many people we see who can't terminate their financial relationship with an ex because of erc problems. It's a really valid point. It recently cost my mate 12 grand in charges
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:09 - Mar 9 with 3932 viewsconnorscontract

I'm not an IFA.

But interest rates are only part of the deal. How much are the charges? They can be low hundreds, they can be well over a grand. If you remortgage in 5 years to get another low interest rate you'll pay the fees again.

Only you can make the decision, but you'd be mad not to at least look on comparison sites and see if you can do better (although be aware that often the deal listed as cheapest will be based on the monthly payments and not include the upfront and termination fees).
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:16 - Mar 9 with 3920 viewsgreyhound

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:09 - Mar 9 by connorscontract

I'm not an IFA.

But interest rates are only part of the deal. How much are the charges? They can be low hundreds, they can be well over a grand. If you remortgage in 5 years to get another low interest rate you'll pay the fees again.

Only you can make the decision, but you'd be mad not to at least look on comparison sites and see if you can do better (although be aware that often the deal listed as cheapest will be based on the monthly payments and not include the upfront and termination fees).

most providers offer a fee and a no fee option you must must must look at the difference in payments between the two. Multiply the difference by the number of months in the deal. If that figure is higher than the value of the fee then pay it, don't add it on. If not gonfee free. If you need help on this contact me by pm
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:21 - Mar 9 with 3905 viewsconnorscontract

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:16 - Mar 9 by greyhound

most providers offer a fee and a no fee option you must must must look at the difference in payments between the two. Multiply the difference by the number of months in the deal. If that figure is higher than the value of the fee then pay it, don't add it on. If not gonfee free. If you need help on this contact me by pm

My point is that if you go for a 10 year then you are only paying the fees once in 10 years, if you change after 5 then you will pay them twice, and these, as you say, may negate (some of) the difference between 1.99 and 2.59%.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:50 - Mar 9 with 3857 viewsYallop

Cheers folks some cracking advice. I may take one or two of you up on the pm offer.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:58 - Mar 9 with 3827 viewsgreyhound

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:21 - Mar 9 by connorscontract

My point is that if you go for a 10 year then you are only paying the fees once in 10 years, if you change after 5 then you will pay them twice, and these, as you say, may negate (some of) the difference between 1.99 and 2.59%.

See what your saying. Normally unless your borrowing is over 160k it won't work out anywhere near cost effective to pay one anyway. If the provider only has fee based options go elsewhere as you are likely to make a saving just by lying a slightly higher interest rate and no fee. Lowest interest rate doesn't always make the cheapest mortgage of course. Good point though
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 23:41 - Mar 9 with 3692 viewsflashblue

Why on earth would you try to pay off a mortgage early! Borrow as much as you can for as long as you can. You can't take it with you so spend it. Money is cheap!

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Poll: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 01:45 - Mar 10 with 3654 viewsTractorWood

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 23:41 - Mar 9 by flashblue

Why on earth would you try to pay off a mortgage early! Borrow as much as you can for as long as you can. You can't take it with you so spend it. Money is cheap!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-rate-calculator

Compounding effect of having a lower capital sum on which the interest is based. Pay off as much as possible as early as possible and then retire.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 08:12 - Mar 10 with 3560 viewsVaughan8

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 19:16 - Mar 9 by greyhound

When I chose mine, the mortgage with a fee at the start worked out to be about £100-200 cheaper than no fee but a higher rate over 5 years. However I would have had to pay the £800 or whatever it was fee upfront.

It was just worth me having no fee and spending the extra over the 60 months. If we say £180, thats an extra £3 a month, but I have £800 extra in my pocket now.

As someone said above, the only person who can decide what mortgage is you. We are all different in different circumstances.
5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 08:30 - Mar 10 with 3543 viewsgreyhound

5 or 10 year fixed rate mortgage ? on 08:12 - Mar 10 by Vaughan8

When I chose mine, the mortgage with a fee at the start worked out to be about £100-200 cheaper than no fee but a higher rate over 5 years. However I would have had to pay the £800 or whatever it was fee upfront.

It was just worth me having no fee and spending the extra over the 60 months. If we say £180, thats an extra £3 a month, but I have £800 extra in my pocket now.

As someone said above, the only person who can decide what mortgage is you. We are all different in different circumstances.

My argument was based on total amount payable on the mortgage. But your right if having 800 in your pocket now is more important or fees are not affordable it would be daft to pay them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024