Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Over to you Keir 10:45 - Feb 12 with 7882 viewsGlasgowBlue

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Over to you Keir on 10:51 - Feb 12 with 3675 viewsPinewoodblue

You can disown a candidate but once election is called and nominations made you can’t change them.

Someone needs to explain how he was selected as candidate, thought selection was masterminded by Labour HQ.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Over to you Keir on 10:54 - Feb 12 with 3659 viewsKeno

I think that starmers option pre by election may be limited as this guy is already named

But it does high light a massive issue for labour in that haven’t really purged these views and it creates the whole “if you vote for Starmer this is what you get agenda”

Cue picture of Starmer with a hamas terrorist behind him

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Over to you Keir on 10:59 - Feb 12 with 3622 viewsblueasfook

George Galloway is a candidate in that by-election too? Arf! I pity the poor folk of Rochdale who have these two specimens to choose from.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Over to you Keir on 10:59 - Feb 12 with 3627 viewsDJR

Over to you Keir on 10:51 - Feb 12 by Pinewoodblue

You can disown a candidate but once election is called and nominations made you can’t change them.

Someone needs to explain how he was selected as candidate, thought selection was masterminded by Labour HQ.

It will have been, and surprising it wasn't picked up because vetting of social media is one thing that Labour now takes seriously when it comes to candidates.

Had this come to public attention a couple of weeks ago, I am sure he would have been replaced, and I am not sure he will be the candidate for the General Election.

On the other hand, Louise Ellman has spoken thus, which might suggest he ends up treated like Naz Shah.

"I have known Azhar for over twenty years and he consistently supported me when I was subjected to antisemitic attacks. He should now have the opportunity to work with the Jewish community to restore the loss of trust his actions have caused."

It is also interesting to note that George Galloway is in the mix, and that on the Today Programme it was suggested that the Green candidate had decided not to campaign because of anti-Muslim comments which had come to light.
[Post edited 12 Feb 11:00]
Over to you Keir on 11:09 - Feb 12 with 3539 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The ongoing blurring of antisemitism? by BanksterDebtSlave 12 Feb 9:17
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/12/labour-criticised-for-backing-rochdale-candidate-after-offensive-israel-remark

This man's comments may or may not be accurate/insensitive....

The recording, obtained by the Mail on Sunday, had Ali saying: “The Egyptians are saying that they warned Israel 10 days earlier … Americans warned them a day before [that] … there’s something happening. They deliberately took the security off, they allowed … that massacre that gives them the green light to do whatever they bloody want.”

.....but in what sense are they antisemitic as claimed....?

'....said Joe Glasman, the head of political and government investigations at Campaign Against Antisemitism.
“This is distressingly familiar to days that Sir Keir Starmer promised were behind us. This is not tearing antisemitism out ‘by its roots.’”

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Over to you Keir on 11:13 - Feb 12 with 3505 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Over to you Keir on 10:59 - Feb 12 by DJR

It will have been, and surprising it wasn't picked up because vetting of social media is one thing that Labour now takes seriously when it comes to candidates.

Had this come to public attention a couple of weeks ago, I am sure he would have been replaced, and I am not sure he will be the candidate for the General Election.

On the other hand, Louise Ellman has spoken thus, which might suggest he ends up treated like Naz Shah.

"I have known Azhar for over twenty years and he consistently supported me when I was subjected to antisemitic attacks. He should now have the opportunity to work with the Jewish community to restore the loss of trust his actions have caused."

It is also interesting to note that George Galloway is in the mix, and that on the Today Programme it was suggested that the Green candidate had decided not to campaign because of anti-Muslim comments which had come to light.

It's a terrible indictment of our political system that these candidates can't be replaced.

Anyone got any dirt on the Lib Dem, to complete the set?
Over to you Keir on 11:17 - Feb 12 with 3473 viewsBlueschev

Over to you Keir on 10:59 - Feb 12 by DJR

All of this is great news for Galloway's campaign. He may well be stealing a living from us tax payers again soon.

Also, will this seat be contested again later this year if a general election is called?
Over to you Keir on 11:22 - Feb 12 with 3446 viewsbluelagos

That Labour can't replace him as a candidate shouldn't stop them dropping him. If the Tories had a majority in single figures could see why there would be pressure to keep him in a red rosette.
Pretty pathetic response imho. I understand the Greens have ditched their candidate.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Over to you Keir on 11:32 - Feb 12 with 3382 viewsPinewoodblue

Over to you Keir on 11:13 - Feb 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

It's a terrible indictment of our political system that these candidates can't be replaced.

If it is an indictment of anything it is Labour’s selection process.

When they are trying so hard to create the right image you would have thought they would have avoided anyone with the potential to rock the boat.

Perhaps they will choose more wisely for the General Election.

2023 year of destiny

Over to you Keir on 11:49 - Feb 12 with 3318 viewsNthQldITFC

Over to you Keir on 11:22 - Feb 12 by bluelagos

That Labour can't replace him as a candidate shouldn't stop them dropping him. If the Tories had a majority in single figures could see why there would be pressure to keep him in a red rosette.
Pretty pathetic response imho. I understand the Greens have ditched their candidate.

I presume if they get him in and then deselect him they can have a new by-election with a new candidate, whereas if they stand down you might end up with a T*ry in there until November?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Over to you Keir on 12:01 - Feb 12 with 3269 viewsBloomBlue

Over to you Keir on 11:49 - Feb 12 by NthQldITFC

I presume if they get him in and then deselect him they can have a new by-election with a new candidate, whereas if they stand down you might end up with a T*ry in there until November?

If he wins I don't think that would automatically result in a new by-election if Labour deselect him. He can remain as an independent, as he won the seat
Over to you Keir on 12:12 - Feb 12 with 3221 viewsGuthrum

Over to you Keir on 12:01 - Feb 12 by BloomBlue

If he wins I don't think that would automatically result in a new by-election if Labour deselect him. He can remain as an independent, as he won the seat

Indeed. Party affiliation has no bearing over an MP's holding of a seat. You are voting for the person, not the party (even if most people don't do it that way any more).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Over to you Keir on 12:18 - Feb 12 with 3203 viewsDJR

It's all down to the legislation, which has strict (but not overly long) timetables, for obvious reasons.

To be honest, I can't remember something like this ever happening before in the case of a main party in a national election, so it doesn't strike me as needing a law change.

The fault is Labour's, and they may well suffer, but it could be the desire to hold the by-election so soon after Tony Lloyd's death has caused them to cut corners, when there might not have been a natural successor in place.
[Post edited 12 Feb 12:20]
Over to you Keir on 12:30 - Feb 12 with 3138 viewsbluelagos

There would only be a byelction if he resigned.

There's around 10 or so independents at the moment - who have all been ditched by their parties or resigned - and they are all staying on and taking the salary.

Over to you Keir on 13:27 - Feb 12 with 3001 viewsNthQldITFC

Over to you Keir on 12:30 - Feb 12 by bluelagos

There would only be a byelction if he resigned.

There's around 10 or so independents at the moment - who have all been ditched by their parties or resigned - and they are all staying on and taking the salary.

Good point, well made by you and others Silly me, I did know it really but wasn't thinking straight having just seen a car called YE51 TFC which, rather childishly, excited me.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Over to you Keir on 13:35 - Feb 12 with 2977 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Over to you Keir on 11:32 - Feb 12 by Pinewoodblue

If it is an indictment of anything it is Labour’s selection process.

When they are trying so hard to create the right image you would have thought they would have avoided anyone with the potential to rock the boat.

Perhaps they will choose more wisely for the General Election.

How on earth would Labour know what he's going to say after they've selected him?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Over to you Keir on 13:37 - Feb 12 with 2960 viewsPinewoodblue

Can you imagine how Starmer would feel if the voters of Rochdale turned to George Galloway.

More likely that a Tory winning there.

2023 year of destiny

Over to you Keir on 13:41 - Feb 12 with 2932 viewsDJR

Interesting to note that Simon Danczuk, the former Labour MP for Rochdale, is standing for Reform UK.
Over to you Keir on 14:00 - Feb 12 with 2861 viewsbluelagos

Over to you Keir on 13:27 - Feb 12 by NthQldITFC

Good point, well made by you and others Silly me, I did know it really but wasn't thinking straight having just seen a car called YE51 TFC which, rather childishly, excited me.

My kid bro lives in WA and drives a car with a ITFC1978 number plate.

I tend to think personalised number plates are a bit knobbish - but fair dos if have one like that.

Over to you Keir on 14:25 - Feb 12 with 2792 viewsKievthegreat

I hear he wears socks with sandals.
Over to you Keir on 17:07 - Feb 12 with 2609 viewsMattinLondon

Why is this considered by some to be antisemitism?
Over to you Keir on 17:13 - Feb 12 with 2586 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Over to you Keir on 17:07 - Feb 12 by MattinLondon

I have asked that a couple of times too. It does indeed seem that it can be used pretty much at will now with all the emotive implications that come with it. Fancy!

Edit...from what I can tell there is no denial that Israel was warned about the attack days in advance by Egypt and the US, so I can only presume that it is the inference he took that therefore Nethanyahoo and his right wing allies ignored the warnings for their own personal and political motives that is being called out as antisemitic. Hopefully somebody will explain to me how.
[Post edited 12 Feb 17:17]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Over to you Keir on 17:17 - Feb 12 with 2561 viewsGlasgowBlue

Over to you Keir on 13:35 - Feb 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

How on earth would Labour know what he's going to say after they've selected him?

He made the comments at a meeting of the Lancashire Labour Party soon after the 7/10 masacre. He was selected as the Labour candidate on just two weeks ago.

Iron Lion Zion

Over to you Keir on 17:21 - Feb 12 with 2555 viewspositivity

Over to you Keir on 17:13 - Feb 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have asked that a couple of times too. It does indeed seem that it can be used pretty much at will now with all the emotive implications that come with it. Fancy!

Edit...from what I can tell there is no denial that Israel was warned about the attack days in advance by Egypt and the US, so I can only presume that it is the inference he took that therefore Nethanyahoo and his right wing allies ignored the warnings for their own personal and political motives that is being called out as antisemitic. Hopefully somebody will explain to me how.
[Post edited 12 Feb 17:17]

i'm only guessing, but the implication that netanyahu knew AND then took border guards away from their posts tips it into conspiracy theory for me.

as to the anti-semitism angle, people with more expertise than me can let us know, please!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Over to you Keir on 17:25 - Feb 12 with 2526 viewsGlasgowBlue

Over to you Keir on 17:07 - Feb 12 by MattinLondon

We have somebody spouting age old anti-Semitic tropes, and people seemingly can't recognise them. FFS.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024