Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leif Davis Value 10:30 - Dec 6 with 9704 viewssuffolkpoker

What would be the 'to good to turn down' price?
Surely £10m doesnt but him...

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Leif Davis Value on 10:33 - Dec 6 with 5678 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect anywhere between £10m - £15m and he would go. Which would be a fantastic return on our investment.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Leif Davis Value on 10:34 - Dec 6 with 5665 viewsBobbychase

Attacking full back with highest level of assists in Championship in an era where teams love attacking full backs?

£20m please. Anything less and we'd have been ripped off, given prices paid for other players

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Leif Davis Value on 10:36 - Dec 6 with 5650 views_clive_baker_

I think there's a lot of factors at play, not least how we're performing in the league. £10m on the face of it is a great return, but there's potentially a much bigger opportunity cost if his departure weakens us and costs us promotion. We would need to reinvest a chunk of that to see a net gain in terms of squad strength, and even then there's no guarantees. Then you're probably in the realms of higher salaries etc too.

I think another factor is the message it sends McKenna. He's our single biggest asset and we need to show him we're serious about promotion. Sunderland clearly isn't an attractive proposition, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that established Premier League clubs, the likes of Palace and West Ham start thinking ahead over the coming months. Palace certainly will be. Not sure selling one of his prominent players at the first opportunity would go down too well with him, even with the promise of funds to reinvest.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 10:42]
Leif Davis Value on 10:37 - Dec 6 with 5626 viewsHerbivore

I'd say £15m is a cannot turn it down price. Between £12m and £15m is a can we convince him to give us to the end of the season price. Anything below that is an insult to us and him both.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leif Davis Value on 10:41 - Dec 6 with 5595 viewswrightsrightglove

It’ll depend on a lot of variables; up front payment level, top ups, sell on percentage, and possibly most importantly, his desire to leave. I’m not saying for a second that this would happen, but an offer of £12million from Luton compared to an offer of £12m from Newcastle would be two very different offers in Leif’s mind.

Anything over £12.5million upfront with a 15% sell on and £5million worth of top ups would be difficult for us to turn down, particularly if Leif wanted to go.

And if it does happen, I’ve got every faith that we’ll invest that money wisely and progress as a team because of it.
Leif Davis Value on 10:43 - Dec 6 with 5570 viewshoppy

Leif Davis Value on 10:34 - Dec 6 by Bobbychase

Attacking full back with highest level of assists in Championship in an era where teams love attacking full backs?

£20m please. Anything less and we'd have been ripped off, given prices paid for other players

Totally agree. I think the days of selling off our best players for knock down prices are hopefully behind us. Especially when you consider the amounts the likes of Brighton have been raking in for players.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Leif Davis Value on 10:43 - Dec 6 with 5561 viewsnodge_blue

20 mil.

I don't see a better left back outside the premier league. IF he's PL quality then what do PL players go for?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Leif Davis Value on 10:44 - Dec 6 with 5545 viewsDanTheMan

Leif Davis Value on 10:37 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I'd say £15m is a cannot turn it down price. Between £12m and £15m is a can we convince him to give us to the end of the season price. Anything below that is an insult to us and him both.

Especially if we're still in the hunt come the start of Jan, having played Leeds again and Leicester.

Playing for us in the Premier League and his value probably doubles.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Leif Davis Value on 10:47 - Dec 6 with 5499 viewsvilanovablue

I think it would need to be closer to £20 million for us to think we have to let him go. I don't think at present we would accept a bid or at least sincerely hope we don't but at those numbers it would be very hard to say no.

Properly attacking FB's, particularly left sided ones are absolute gold dust. A little like strikers it would seem at the moment.
Leif Davis Value on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 5473 viewsle2blue

Ashton sold Webster for £23 million to Brighton, I’d say Leif would be in that ball park if not slightly higher. His level of assist and general attacking play make him a good fit and being left sided will also contribute to his value. No chance he’s sold in January though.
Leif Davis Value on 10:51 - Dec 6 with 5456 viewsSomethingBlue

There are hardly any players like Davis in the country, perhaps even in Europe. He's 24 soon so next summer strikes me as the sweet spot for him to move on assuming we don't go up. I would imagine the conversation starts around £15m but we should be looking for a fair bit more, I've consistently said £20m.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 10:52]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Leif Davis Value on 10:52 - Dec 6 with 5435 viewsElderGrizzly

Leif Davis Value on 10:47 - Dec 6 by vilanovablue

I think it would need to be closer to £20 million for us to think we have to let him go. I don't think at present we would accept a bid or at least sincerely hope we don't but at those numbers it would be very hard to say no.

Properly attacking FB's, particularly left sided ones are absolute gold dust. A little like strikers it would seem at the moment.

I was saying on another post, Davis is the one player we are most vulnerable to losing in January, but you'd hope both the player and the club would try and see out this season.

However, if a club like Newcastle come along who desperately need a recognised LB right now, you could see his head being turned. Probably £50k a week and £15m+ in fee would be too rich for him and use to refuse.

We should all have our eyes wide open though. This model of player trading is absolutely what the owners signed up for. Bring in, develop and move on for a big profit. And then repeat. But actually repeat unlike Evans...
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 10:53]
Leif Davis Value on 10:57 - Dec 6 with 5359 viewsWacko

If West Ham go in for him, would you take Cresswell back as a part exchange?

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Leif Davis Value on 10:57 - Dec 6 with 5359 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

In January I think you’re talking north of £20m, the opportunity is too large to sell for less and I think Leif would happily accept* missing out on a move on the understanding he would get a move in the Summer if we don’t go up

If we don’t go up then fully expect him to go for somewhere around £15m, possibly with a few add-ons

*Obviously this depends on the team, it may be different if say Man City came calling, but FWIW I don’t think there will be serious interest in Jan as teams will no full well what kind of fee it would take

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Leif Davis Value on 11:03 - Dec 6 with 5304 viewstractorboy1978

Leif Davis Value on 10:51 - Dec 6 by SomethingBlue

There are hardly any players like Davis in the country, perhaps even in Europe. He's 24 soon so next summer strikes me as the sweet spot for him to move on assuming we don't go up. I would imagine the conversation starts around £15m but we should be looking for a fair bit more, I've consistently said £20m.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 10:52]

I am convinced he is going to end up at Liverpool as Andy Robertson's replacement - whether that is directly from us or via somewhere else. He is that good. £20m minimum for me. I'm glad Ashton will be doing the negotiations and not some people on here!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 11:04]
Leif Davis Value on 11:10 - Dec 6 with 5200 viewstractorboy1978

To add to the above, Newcastle have an obligation to buy Lewis Hall for £28m + add ons in the summer. He's 19 and played 11 games...
Leif Davis Value on 11:17 - Dec 6 with 5119 viewsRadlett_blue

Davis certainly looks as good as Aaron Cresswell, who has had a long PL career at West Ham. I was surprised when Leeds sold him to us, but he wasn't getting a look in there & Bielsa had been replaced by Jesse Marsch, who may not have rated him. Oddly enough, when on loan at Bournemouth he made his first start on the right wing!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Leif Davis Value on 11:17 - Dec 6 with 5114 viewsBobbychase

Leif Davis Value on 11:03 - Dec 6 by tractorboy1978

I am convinced he is going to end up at Liverpool as Andy Robertson's replacement - whether that is directly from us or via somewhere else. He is that good. £20m minimum for me. I'm glad Ashton will be doing the negotiations and not some people on here!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 11:04]

Spot on. Ashton got QPR to pay £1m for Dozzell. He can get £20m for Davis.

Leif Davis Value on 11:23 - Dec 6 with 5041 viewstextbackup

I’d assume a prem team paying that for him (in Jan) would likely not be playing him too much from Jan - May, so maybe we could negotiate a deal to keep him on loan for the rest of the season.
Guess it all depends on the team buying him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Leif Davis Value on 11:24 - Dec 6 with 5020 viewsSharkey

How much of that would go to Leeds?
Leif Davis Value on 11:26 - Dec 6 with 4997 viewstextbackup

Leif Davis Value on 10:57 - Dec 6 by Wacko

Wouldn’t be the worse deal ever… but I’m sad at the thought of ever losing Leif…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Leif Davis Value on 11:44 - Dec 6 with 4873 viewsMattinLondon

I think I’m right in saying that Ben Godfrey went for £30 million. Ok, when he went for that amount he had played a season in the PL. Even though they play in different positions, Leif is a far far better footballer and worth more to a team both defensively and offensively.

I think a basic valuation of £25 million is realistic.

A few things in the clubs favour is that Leif seems like a decent fella and adheres to the no bell ends policy. Obviously he wants to play in the PL but I don’t think he’ll act like a spoilt child to engineer a move away. Also, Ashton will not get intimidated or fleeced by bigger clubs.

Now, the club appears to be one step ahead of any potential transfers out - they’ll know who to go for if a bid gets accepted. It’s not like we let players go and then panic when we realise no one is able to replace him.
Leif Davis Value on 11:48 - Dec 6 with 4834 views_clive_baker_

Leif Davis Value on 10:57 - Dec 6 by Wacko

I would take Cresswell on loan if that transfer happened in Jan. Would be a ready made replacement for Leif, and would allow us to bank the cash we get for him.

The ideal scenario for me is we hang onto him though. Come January we'll be 20 games out from the end of the season. Depending on what happens over the next month we could be in a position where c. 12 wins and a few draws gets us top 2. It's arguably our best chance of promotion to the PL since big Joe was in charge, and disrupting that by selling a key component would be disappointing. New signings will take time to get up to speed and get familiar with our patterns and triggers. Davis will still be a highly valuable and saleable asset in the summer, so I would be minded to sit tight and make a call once we know what league we're in next season.
Leif Davis Value on 11:54 - Dec 6 with 4786 viewsbluesbrothers

He could be the difference between promotion and no promotion. The fact we know we could sell him for double digit millions means we can roll the dice a little in January knowing we can balance the books if needed in the summer.

Expect a fair bit of £££ to be chucked at it in a months time

Just to add, 0 chance he goes in January, but he is seen as someone we'd sell to balance books in July if needed
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 11:56]
Leif Davis Value on 11:55 - Dec 6 with 4771 viewsBobbychase

Leif Davis Value on 11:44 - Dec 6 by MattinLondon

I think I’m right in saying that Ben Godfrey went for £30 million. Ok, when he went for that amount he had played a season in the PL. Even though they play in different positions, Leif is a far far better footballer and worth more to a team both defensively and offensively.

I think a basic valuation of £25 million is realistic.

A few things in the clubs favour is that Leif seems like a decent fella and adheres to the no bell ends policy. Obviously he wants to play in the PL but I don’t think he’ll act like a spoilt child to engineer a move away. Also, Ashton will not get intimidated or fleeced by bigger clubs.

Now, the club appears to be one step ahead of any potential transfers out - they’ll know who to go for if a bid gets accepted. It’s not like we let players go and then panic when we realise no one is able to replace him.

He was the example I was thinking of and, as you say, Davis arguably a better player.

Buy for £1-2m and sell for a huge profit is the Ashton way. We should get used to it (although not too often please)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024