Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very enjoyable last night 09:26 - Jan 23 with 882 views_clive_baker_

Almost came away feeling like a win. We shouldn't underestimate how good a point that is on the road, they're such a good side who will almost certainly win the league and be playing in the Premier League next season. Everything about that club warrants it really, in terms of the facilities they have, it was really impressive. Have to say I thought the atmosphere was a bit flat from the home support, even at 1-0 up, from a set of supporters I previously thought of as a bit louder. Maybe it's hard to 'get up' for little old Ipswich after years of hosting Chelsea & Liverpool etc, I don't know.

Their quality was scary in the 1st half, relative to 90% of the clubs in this division they're on a completely different level. I looked through the lineups pre match and saw their bench of Vardy, Albrighton, Coady, Callum Doyle (super highly thought of Man City loanee), 15 x Belgium capped Praet. A bit filthy really and the quality showed, they were excellent value for their 1 nil lead at the break, albeit we were a touch unfortunate in respect of how it came about, you can't really say it was undeserved. Their press was so aggressive, didn't give us an inch, and in possession they're so good and have so much quality in the final 3rd to cut you open. I've not seen a better opposition performance all season than that 1st half and I'd probably include Leeds in that and we were 3-0 down. That felt like one where everything that could go wrong did. Last night just felt like total dominance against a far superior side.

To come out in the 2nd half like we did was so impressive, that's our most impressive 45 minutes of football in a while given the circumstances and opposition. Right from the 1st kick we dominated them, winning the early corner. Showed so much confidence and bravery on the ball, incisive going forward, set the tempo of the game and had the quality off the bench in Sarmiento, Hutchinson & Broadhead to come on and make an impact. Arguably 3 of of our most technically gifted players right there, I thought Hutchinson and Broadhead in particular were absolutely superb. A tactical masterclass and one that we've become all too familiar with, to be combative and competitive, stay in these tough games, and back ourselves with our subs and fitness to win the final 30 minutes.

Great result, really enjoyable game. Up the Town.
Very enjoyable last night on 09:29 - Jan 23 with 835 viewscooperd5

agree with most of that apart from I don't think they are miles ahead of everybody else. Let them play and they will dominate and look good but get at them, like we did at PR and in 2nd half last night, and they look vulnerable. I bet they would swop their GK for Vas at the drop of a hat!
Leicester went man for man, and as you state aggressive on 09:50 - Jan 23 with 739 viewsunstableblue

McKenna and players confirmed that Leicester went man for man, and it was something we’d expected and prepared for, but still a little unexpected.

But it wasn’t just every Town player was shadowed that was the issue as Town often play through that.. it was just how aggressive the press was.

Luongo and Travis, Harness and Chaplin really struggled with it. And hence we were losing all the duels. And as we’ve seen that’s when Town become ineffective. And of course heads go down and we’re not winning the second balls.

Burns was the only one breaking it with his strength and pace.

The Luongo/Harness combo couldn’t get going.

Credit to the team for turning that around in the second half.

Preston will try and do the same in a few weeks, but just won’t have the quality.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Very enjoyable last night on 09:59 - Jan 23 with 673 viewsNthQldITFC

My pet theory of last night is that Maresco told Leicester to put everything in through the middle of that game to try to blow us away like Leeds did. After the cagey first 15 or so, it was noticeable to me how physical Leicester were and how aggressive in their movement on and off the ball and in closing us down.

It worked in terms of control of the game through to about the hour mark and made us look indecisive and nervous. But we hung in there and then when we got brave with playing through their middle (in which Broadhead dropping deep and dragging their CBs around while Hutchinson, Burns and Sarmiento took the 9 role was brilliant) they were too shagged out to handle our movement.

Starting Harness in particular, and Travis over Taylor was probably crucial to absorb that middle of the game intensity from them, but whether McK saw that coming and planned for it, or adapted to it with his changes - either way it was BRILLIANT management in my opinion. Particularly how deep Broadhead came to make space.

The other thing that I absolutely loved last night, was that we (players and manager and staff anyway) looked if anything as disappointed as Leicester did at the end with a draw. Odds are we would have won that if we had another 10 minutes. No dancing around, metaphorically masturbating in the middle of the pitch from our lads after an away draw against a top two team!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Very enjoyable last night on 09:59 - Jan 23 with 664 viewsHerbivore

That second half was incredible. I also loved that after the equaliser we still looked to go forward a couple of times to look for a winner. Genuinely struggled to see a way back into the game at half time as Leicester were so well organised and dangerous in possession but this team just keeps finding ways. Thought it was the classic game of two halves and much as their fans won't agree, the draw was fair on the overall balance of play.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Very enjoyable last night on 10:01 - Jan 23 with 639 viewsJakeITFC

A good summary, although I would say for all of their dominance in the first half that they didn't really create any chances of note - the own goal obviously, but otherwise it was Hladky making a couple of saves from distance.

It was perhaps weirdly positive that they got the goal as it made it McKenna's half time talk easier - we had to be more positive and direct, and that's what got us a foothold in the game. It's a relief that we don't have many/any of these really difficult away fixtures left now as we've looked a bit predictable and easy to pick off in the first half of all our recent ones (WBA, Leeds and last night).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024