Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honours system not fit for purpose... 18:18 - Jan 5 with 670 viewsford6600

The Vennells CBE another example of rewarding incompetence. Mr Bates on the other hand (v Post
Office) turned his down, perhaps should now get a deserved peerage. When in power Labour could do away with traditional honours for simply doing your job. So he could give back his knighthood for CPS work stint, and revert from Sir Keir to Keir, one of the people. Perhaps have a limit on knighthood? 10,000? Limit. At end of calendar year, the number deceased, replaced by people deserving the award via a cross party committee? The Lords another kettle of fish....
Honours system not fit for purpose... on 18:32 - Jan 5 with 631 viewsfactual_blue

There is, to all intents and purposes, a limit. Various sectors of the economy and public life have informal limits. Government departments will have the number they get in any honours round adjusted: more knighthoods mean fewer MBEs, and vice versa.

I don't think people get them 'for just doing their job'. They really have to go above and beyond the day job. Very often that is charity or community work.

The other thing you have to have is a VERY well-argued supporting case - which you can't do yourself; it has to be those nominating you. And, having been asked to write a couple, you really have to lay it on with a trowel.

It's the political service honours that are probably worst. Real Buggins turn stuff.

And we should replace the Order of the British Empire with some more up-to-date and relevant. God knows what that should be though.
[Post edited 5 Jan 18:34]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 18:48 - Jan 5 with 582 viewsford6600

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 18:32 - Jan 5 by factual_blue

There is, to all intents and purposes, a limit. Various sectors of the economy and public life have informal limits. Government departments will have the number they get in any honours round adjusted: more knighthoods mean fewer MBEs, and vice versa.

I don't think people get them 'for just doing their job'. They really have to go above and beyond the day job. Very often that is charity or community work.

The other thing you have to have is a VERY well-argued supporting case - which you can't do yourself; it has to be those nominating you. And, having been asked to write a couple, you really have to lay it on with a trowel.

It's the political service honours that are probably worst. Real Buggins turn stuff.

And we should replace the Order of the British Empire with some more up-to-date and relevant. God knows what that should be though.

Head of CPS apparently gets a Knighthood when leaving.
It is usual for the Speaker to get a gong but Bercow made too many enemies/supported Remain. Yes outdated OBE MBE etc need revamping. Limit number of Lords to fit chamber. Remove hereditary Lords. Only life Peers, Dames, equal number of each. A new gong just for charity work?
Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:09 - Jan 5 with 539 viewsfactual_blue

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 18:48 - Jan 5 by ford6600

Head of CPS apparently gets a Knighthood when leaving.
It is usual for the Speaker to get a gong but Bercow made too many enemies/supported Remain. Yes outdated OBE MBE etc need revamping. Limit number of Lords to fit chamber. Remove hereditary Lords. Only life Peers, Dames, equal number of each. A new gong just for charity work?

Those senior posts at the head of various governmental bodies are conditional on not fouling up. The workload in all of them is staggering, and full of challenging decisions. So not fouling up is an achievement in itself.

Do they not get awarded? Yes. The Government's Chief Actuary at the time the Equitable Life scandal didn't get one, even though the damage was done at EL way before his time, the company was assessed (and its actuarial assumpetions tested) in line with the agreed criteria, those criteria being set by the relevant Secretary of State (DTI at the time I think).

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:15 - Jan 5 with 526 viewsNthQldITFC

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 18:32 - Jan 5 by factual_blue

Alright Sir Facters KCMG, no need to be so defensive about it!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:24 - Jan 5 with 512 viewsDJR

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:15 - Jan 5 by NthQldITFC

Alright Sir Facters KCMG, no need to be so defensive about it!

CMG: Call me God

GCMG: God calls me God
Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:36 - Jan 5 with 490 viewsNthQldITFC

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:24 - Jan 5 by DJR

KCMG: Kindly Call Me God

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:37 - Jan 5 with 482 viewsfactual_blue

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:24 - Jan 5 by DJR

KCMG: The King calls me God.

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 21:43 - Jan 5 with 412 viewsDJR

Honours system not fit for purpose... on 19:36 - Jan 5 by NthQldITFC

KCMG: Kindly Call Me God

Yes, I forgot that one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising