Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a window that's really pushed us on... 22:15 - Sep 1 with 1778 viewsITFCBlues

Failed to sign a CB, could still sign Tuanzebe of course. But we're effectively an injury to Wolfy/Burgess away from having to play Edmundson who looks a shadow of his former self.

Similar situation to Hirst. If he was to get injured for any period of time, then we'd massivley feel that impact.

I'm sure both Ashton and KM are equally as frustrated. Things probably got too expensive in many cases. Of course we will be fine, no issues of relegation, but it's going to be really difficult to kick on this season and really challenge the top 6.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:18 - Sep 1 with 1460 viewspointofblue

Before Sunderland, I said I'd be happy with consolidation this year for a promotion push next season. In truth, there's nothing wrong with that.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:20 - Sep 1 with 1451 viewsIllinoisblue

I don’t really get the “one injury away” line of thinking. Nobody in the championship has 2 top quality players for every single position.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:23 - Sep 1 with 1404 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:20 - Sep 1 by Illinoisblue

I don’t really get the “one injury away” line of thinking. Nobody in the championship has 2 top quality players for every single position.

No, but those wanting to compete higher up will have better options than we currently have available.

Hirst was out against Leeds and we had Jackson starting. I like Jackson, but would you want him starting 10-15 games this season? If he does then you'd think we'd 100% be mid table.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:23 - Sep 1 with 1397 viewsWestSussexBlue

Did Baggot go out on loan?
Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:25 - Sep 1 with 1370 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:18 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

Before Sunderland, I said I'd be happy with consolidation this year for a promotion push next season. In truth, there's nothing wrong with that.

And that's fine, but if we sit in mid table and not showing any likelihood of being able to compete for the top 6, then we will be losing our manager which then comes with further issues of course.

We've seen this summer how Martin has ended up at Saints with a huge budget off of the back of some mid table finishes purely based on his football philosophy.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:27 - Sep 1 with 1350 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:23 - Sep 1 by WestSussexBlue

Did Baggot go out on loan?

No, he's still in the building.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:30 - Sep 1 with 1332 viewshomer_123

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:23 - Sep 1 by ITFCBlues

No, but those wanting to compete higher up will have better options than we currently have available.

Hirst was out against Leeds and we had Jackson starting. I like Jackson, but would you want him starting 10-15 games this season? If he does then you'd think we'd 100% be mid table.

I have no issue at with Jackson being an alternative to Hirst, alongside Ladapo and Scarlett.

Jackson's last outing saw him with two assists and generally have a very good game.

What sort of player are you expecting as a Hirst backup, unless you are thinking that we sign a better player than Hirst?

Up top we have Hirst as our number 1, Jackson, Ladapo and Scarlett as options. Now, look at what each of those has to offer. All something different even when Hirst is fit.

What are you expecting?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:33 - Sep 1 with 1302 viewsSimonds92

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:18 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

Can't stand still in football, the minute you do that you're in trouble. If we sit comfortably in mid table this season without troubling the top 6, this time in 12 months time we'll have no Leif, our midfield 2 will be another year older and it's probably 50/50 as to whether McKenna will be here with other teams no doubt sniffing about. Thing is the team is almost in a very good place. 2 additions of genuine high end championship ability and we'd give it a real go imo.
Login to get fewer ads

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:38 - Sep 1 with 1252 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:30 - Sep 1 by homer_123

I have no issue at with Jackson being an alternative to Hirst, alongside Ladapo and Scarlett.

Jackson's last outing saw him with two assists and generally have a very good game.

What sort of player are you expecting as a Hirst backup, unless you are thinking that we sign a better player than Hirst?

Up top we have Hirst as our number 1, Jackson, Ladapo and Scarlett as options. Now, look at what each of those has to offer. All something different even when Hirst is fit.

What are you expecting?

It's a huge drop off from Hirst, no matter how you sugar coat it.

I like Jackson for what it's worth, but he's not a player that will have you challenging the top 6. He's hardly played a game as a forward for KM since he's been here which again probably tells you where he's at in terms of playing as a forward.

We targeted two strikers of a similar ilk to Hirst, hence the Simms links, Phil has confirmed that. I don't think the intention would've been to have the 4 we've ended up with at the start of the window.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:40 - Sep 1 with 1237 viewsLankHenners

Yeah, pretty much where I'm at with it. Don't think there was any real danger of losing anyone we weren't happy to see move on so not sure that can really be chalked up as a positive as I've seen, bit like going for a walk around the block, getting back home and saying it's a positive you didn't trip over and break your leg.

We were probably caught out a bit by the price of some players, especially when clubs who have sold for decent money can afford to bid that little bit more. Others I guess we were perhaps a little over-ambitious, and to take one example, someone like Rak-Sakyi looked like he was available then Palace changed their mind so not a lot we can do about that specific deal.

Think the team's fine, clearly well drilled and there aren't loads of players who need bedding in to the style of play so we can still have a decent and enjoyable season. Agree think injuries to key players will be an issue. Obviously any club is better with their best players available but, imo, the drop-off from Hirst to Ladapo/Jackson (although I do think Scarlett will be good), Broadhead to Harness or Woolfenden to anyone else is pretty steep. Before anyone says it, yes I know it will take more than one window to get proper strength in depth throughout the team but think we would have wanted to make a bit more progress on that front this summer.

Still lots to look forward to mind but if we're talking solely transfer window, it's maybe a 6/10 for me, just about.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:40 - Sep 1 with 1229 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:20 - Sep 1 by Illinoisblue

Hmm, that’s often the aim and most clubs get close (not many have top quality players full stop, but it’s not too much to ask to have 2 seasoned pros for each position with youngsters as further backup - the squad size allows for it).

We’re ok though. This squad has earned the right to carry on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:41 - Sep 1 with 1223 viewsFrimleyBlue

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:38 - Sep 1 by ITFCBlues

I like Jackson for what it's worth, but he's not a player that will have you challenging the top 6. He's hardly played a game as a forward for KM since he's been here which again probably tells you where he's at in terms of playing as a forward.

We targeted two strikers of a similar ilk to Hirst, hence the Simms links, Phil has confirmed that. I don't think the intention would've been to have the 4 we've ended up with at the start of the window.

But hasn't Jackson played 2 games for KM this season as a striker in the champ?

Remember KM uses his strengths. He's not there to be another hirst.

I do think we need another one. I don't know who but there must have been someone out there of similar style to hirst, He's not haaland.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:42 - Sep 1 with 1208 viewsBloomBlue

But if we had signed Simms given how much he cost then we couldn't also afford Hirst, so we would still have the same situation with Jackson.

Plus let's face it Coventry had their pants pulled down paying that price for Simmd
Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:44 - Sep 1 with 1180 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:33 - Sep 1 by Simonds92

Can't stand still in football, the minute you do that you're in trouble. If we sit comfortably in mid table this season without troubling the top 6, this time in 12 months time we'll have no Leif, our midfield 2 will be another year older and it's probably 50/50 as to whether McKenna will be here with other teams no doubt sniffing about. Thing is the team is almost in a very good place. 2 additions of genuine high end championship ability and we'd give it a real go imo.

And this is exactly my point. KM isn't going to sit at a mid table club for too long. We've seen this year how Martin has been attracted to a parachute payment club.

We've missed a chance to kick on this summer and have a proper go at things. We may still do this of course, but will be relying on KM to produce the goods.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:44 - Sep 1 with 1180 viewshomer_123

Do you think we would have signed both Hirst and Simms then?

Your expectation is to have two top quality strikers for one role?

KM has made is very clear what he thinks of Jackson and his ability, plainly making it clear that he feels his attributes are actually better suited for this division. Telling as well that he started Jackson over Ladapo as well.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:45 - Sep 1 with 1164 viewshomer_123

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:42 - Sep 1 by BloomBlue

But if we had signed Simms given how much he cost then we couldn't also afford Hirst, so we would still have the same situation with Jackson.

Plus let's face it Coventry had their pants pulled down paying that price for Simmd

Simms or Hirst - at their relative price point, right now - yes, Hirst looks the better signing and, exactly as I have replied, zero chance we'd sign both.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:47 - Sep 1 with 1145 viewsFrimleyBlue

Must have been all those pesky fan tweets that stopped all the transfers happening.

Waka waka eh eh

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:47 - Sep 1 with 1144 viewshomer_123

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:40 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

Hmm, that’s often the aim and most clubs get close (not many have top quality players full stop, but it’s not too much to ask to have 2 seasoned pros for each position with youngsters as further backup - the squad size allows for it).

We’re ok though. This squad has earned the right to carry on.

And on initial showing we can more do more than merely compete.

We showed last season by beating Rotherham and causing Burnley a lot of problems.

Very few Champ clubs are going to have 2 seasoned pros for each position.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:50 - Sep 1 with 1125 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:40 - Sep 1 by LankHenners

Yeah, pretty much where I'm at with it. Don't think there was any real danger of losing anyone we weren't happy to see move on so not sure that can really be chalked up as a positive as I've seen, bit like going for a walk around the block, getting back home and saying it's a positive you didn't trip over and break your leg.

We were probably caught out a bit by the price of some players, especially when clubs who have sold for decent money can afford to bid that little bit more. Others I guess we were perhaps a little over-ambitious, and to take one example, someone like Rak-Sakyi looked like he was available then Palace changed their mind so not a lot we can do about that specific deal.

Think the team's fine, clearly well drilled and there aren't loads of players who need bedding in to the style of play so we can still have a decent and enjoyable season. Agree think injuries to key players will be an issue. Obviously any club is better with their best players available but, imo, the drop-off from Hirst to Ladapo/Jackson (although I do think Scarlett will be good), Broadhead to Harness or Woolfenden to anyone else is pretty steep. Before anyone says it, yes I know it will take more than one window to get proper strength in depth throughout the team but think we would have wanted to make a bit more progress on that front this summer.

Still lots to look forward to mind but if we're talking solely transfer window, it's maybe a 6/10 for me, just about.

Agree with all that. The keeping all our players thing is just bizzare. Joe said on the Blue Monday Pod tonight that there was some interest in Davis, but the fee was well off what we'd sell for, circa 3-5m. We were never likely to sell any key players as they'd been playing in L1 and wouldn't have the values required to tempt us into selling

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:51 - Sep 1 with 1107 viewsPioneerBlue

I beg to differ.

We are in a new higher league. Our manager committed to a 4 year deal. Our leading scorer was resigned on longer deal. Add to this we actually signed a striker we know, a midfielder we know, and we retained key players from the promotion team. To this we’ve added talented players with prem level experience from top clubs and a leading midfielder from league 1. We have loaned or exited a load of players that were surplus at L1 level and those that were lower performers or players that played lower minutes last season.

I’m good.

I’m looking forward to seeing how we progress under the coaching of KMcK and team and what we might add over the next window or 2

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:53 - Sep 1 with 1075 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:42 - Sep 1 by BloomBlue

How do you know we couldn't also afford Hirst. Everything Phil has suggested was that this was our intentions earlier in the window.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:55 - Sep 1 with 1041 viewshomer_123

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:53 - Sep 1 by ITFCBlues

How do you know we couldn't also afford Hirst. Everything Phil has suggested was that this was our intentions earlier in the window.

Well, I might be as bold as to suggest that the fact we haven't got both means we couldn't afford them both.

We got Hirst at £1.5m and Simms went for £3.5m - for us, that is a big difference.

The knock on effect would also have been significant as it would have likely impacted who else we could sign.

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:56 - Sep 1 with 1036 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:51 - Sep 1 by PioneerBlue

I beg to differ.

We are in a new higher league. Our manager committed to a 4 year deal. Our leading scorer was resigned on longer deal. Add to this we actually signed a striker we know, a midfielder we know, and we retained key players from the promotion team. To this we’ve added talented players with prem level experience from top clubs and a leading midfielder from league 1. We have loaned or exited a load of players that were surplus at L1 level and those that were lower performers or players that played lower minutes last season.

I’m good.

I’m looking forward to seeing how we progress under the coaching of KMcK and team and what we might add over the next window or 2

And not only that, but the squad is full (25/25 registered senior players). So there’s not a huge amount of wiggle room anyway without departures.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:57 - Sep 1 with 1028 viewsFrimleyBlue

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:56 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

And not only that, but the squad is full (25/25 registered senior players). So there’s not a huge amount of wiggle room anyway without departures.

We've got Hayes and aluko taking up 2 places. Bit odd imo.

Waka waka eh eh

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:59 - Sep 1 with 1016 viewsITFCBlues

Not a window that's really pushed us on... on 22:51 - Sep 1 by PioneerBlue

I beg to differ.

I’m good.

KM comminting to a 4 year deal means very little other than protecting himself if things go wrong and us if another club comes calling. If we're sitting here mid table after this season then there's no guarentee he's here next season. See my Martin example above.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024