Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freddie Ladapo 11:48 - Aug 21 with 4777 viewsitfcjoe

The early games of the season seem to suggest he is miles behind Hirst and what we want at this level.

Hirst looked pooped at 70 minutes, and still stayed on, and on, and on rather than make the change

Jackson got the nod ahead of him last week.

I guess question is, will he go this window, or just be retained as a number 3 whilst we try to add one in of Hirst's level

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Freddie Ladapo on 11:51 - Aug 21 with 3847 viewsportmanking

The reality is that Ladapo wasn't even signed to be our #1 striker in League One. I think he'll go in January, unless we find a gem of a PL loan which allows us to loan him out to League One.
Freddie Ladapo on 11:52 - Aug 21 with 3808 viewstractorboy1978

Exactly what we said on Saturday - Hirst looked absolutely gassed not long after half time but had to soldier on through it. So clear why we want and need another who is at a similar level and plays in the same manner.
Freddie Ladapo on 11:52 - Aug 21 with 3802 viewspointofblue

The issue with Ladapo is he’s strongest as part of a two up front. He was a slightly odd signing from the off for that reason, and did really well last year despite us not playing to his strengths. But we need another Hirst-like figure, and Ladapo isn’t it. If we get someone in, I wouldn’t be surprised if we move him on. It wouldn’t be fair to keep hold of him in that scenario, as long as someone can meet our valuation.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Freddie Ladapo on 11:53 - Aug 21 with 3794 viewsportmanking

Freddie Ladapo on 11:52 - Aug 21 by tractorboy1978

Exactly what we said on Saturday - Hirst looked absolutely gassed not long after half time but had to soldier on through it. So clear why we want and need another who is at a similar level and plays in the same manner.

Colby Bishop would definitely fit that bill. But I get why it'd be a difficult deal to do given Pompey's own promotion aspirations.
Freddie Ladapo on 11:59 - Aug 21 with 3658 viewsReus30

Freddie Ladapo on 11:53 - Aug 21 by portmanking

Colby Bishop would definitely fit that bill. But I get why it'd be a difficult deal to do given Pompey's own promotion aspirations.

Seriously, this Colby love in is so last season. Get over it man!

I want Sinclair Armstrong now, I love Fred but he looks off it currently. Armstrong bullying defenders who are tired.... makes me dribble.
Freddie Ladapo on 12:04 - Aug 21 with 3598 viewsthe_toff

It's clearly an area where we're short and you do get the impression KM doesn't rate him particularly at this level, otherwise he would've been on much earlier on Saturday. Hirst had run his race in tough conditions and put a real shift in.

I presume we'll see help come in up top before the window closes, whether it be on loan or a perm signing. I would think Ladapo will find his chances even more limited but probably hang around as a 3rd choice / cup option.
Freddie Ladapo on 12:06 - Aug 21 with 3570 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Freddie Ladapo on 11:59 - Aug 21 by Reus30

I want Sinclair Armstrong now, I love Fred but he looks off it currently. Armstrong bullying defenders who are tired.... makes me dribble.

Whichever Championship club gets Colby Bishop whether it’s this windown or the next one or even the one after.

Is getting a superb striker. Goals, Work rate, versatility.

Top player.

I’m still having nightmares from Armstrong tbh
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 12:08]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Freddie Ladapo on 12:13 - Aug 21 with 3468 viewsOldFart71

Can't see Freddie being loaned out. Where's the point. If he's not deemed as being good enough for the Championship and possibly higher, but he is obviously good enough for League One then that's where we need to target a sale and obviously bring in someone else. But the clock is ticking and I am not sure who is available and an improvement.
Login to get fewer ads

Freddie Ladapo on 12:17 - Aug 21 with 3434 viewsSomethingBlue

I'd assume Ladapo stays until January either way but you're right, we're going to need something else and Jackson will only work as a useful tool in specific circumstances.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Freddie Ladapo on 12:26 - Aug 21 with 3318 viewsLankHenners

That we went hard for Simms at the start of the window was a bit of a clue that we're very keen for an upgrade in that position (and that nothing's happened since suggests we've found it tough to land an alternative target).

Think Jackson is very much one for specific scenarios, i.e., when the opposition is pushing higher and leaving space in pursuit of a goal, and even then you'd think McKenna would prefer to have someone more similar to Hirst for that anyway who has the running ability but also the strength and technicality to hold the ball up and relieve pressure.

Unless we get in another true number 9 and a versatile type he'll probably stay as we don't want to leave ourselves too short.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 12:34]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Freddie Ladapo on 12:34 - Aug 21 with 3225 viewsjayessess

Freddie Ladapo on 12:17 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

I'd assume Ladapo stays until January either way but you're right, we're going to need something else and Jackson will only work as a useful tool in specific circumstances.

Strikes me that at Sunderland we settled into a mid-block (then a low-block) in the last 1/5th of the match and very much regretted it. Both Stoke and QPR we tried to stay high up the pitch right to the end and that, hard as he works, Ladapo's pressing game isn't enough to keep us doing that.

So I'd guess we'd look for the kind of intense athleticism Jackson brings but with a bit more technical ability?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Freddie Ladapo on 12:44 - Aug 21 with 3078 viewschicoazul

Freddie Ladapo on 11:59 - Aug 21 by Reus30

You’ve got the wrong Armstrong.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Freddie Ladapo on 13:01 - Aug 21 with 2890 viewsWestover

Freddie scored three or four in preseason but has not been given a chance so maybe something is up ?, Hirst is still 8 championship goals behind Ladapo I wouldn't right Freddie off yet.
Freddie Ladapo on 13:17 - Aug 21 with 2784 viewsAsa

Freddie Ladapo on 13:01 - Aug 21 by Westover

Freddie scored three or four in preseason but has not been given a chance so maybe something is up ?, Hirst is still 8 championship goals behind Ladapo I wouldn't right Freddie off yet.

It's clear as day that Hirst is better than Ladapo in pretty much every aspect and when you consider who fits our system better, the gap is even wider than that.

Ladapo is absolutely nowhere near being good enough to be the man we rely upon in this system if Hirst gets injured and is nowhere near good enough to be the reason we change system either! Goals against Felixstowe & Walton aren't going to change that line of thinking.

I like Freddie. He was clinical last season after a slow start, really likeable guy, lots of good attributes, but he's very much in the same position as Leigh and Edwards now. Very good footballers, great professionals, top individuals but just not good enough for a team at the top end of the Championship and there's nothing wrong with admitting that either.

I'd keep Ladapo as a third choice because we may well need to play two up front in games, we may well need his attributes at certain times, but absolutely we have to be looking to bring in better in the next week or two.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 13:18]
Freddie Ladapo on 13:34 - Aug 21 with 2608 viewsHerbivore

Freddie Ladapo on 13:17 - Aug 21 by Asa

It's clear as day that Hirst is better than Ladapo in pretty much every aspect and when you consider who fits our system better, the gap is even wider than that.

Ladapo is absolutely nowhere near being good enough to be the man we rely upon in this system if Hirst gets injured and is nowhere near good enough to be the reason we change system either! Goals against Felixstowe & Walton aren't going to change that line of thinking.

I like Freddie. He was clinical last season after a slow start, really likeable guy, lots of good attributes, but he's very much in the same position as Leigh and Edwards now. Very good footballers, great professionals, top individuals but just not good enough for a team at the top end of the Championship and there's nothing wrong with admitting that either.

I'd keep Ladapo as a third choice because we may well need to play two up front in games, we may well need his attributes at certain times, but absolutely we have to be looking to bring in better in the next week or two.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 13:18]

There is almost zero chance that Ladapo will be happy to stay here as third choice striker for a team that plays one up top. Not at this stage of his career, he will want regular minutes. I suspect if another forward comes in to compete with Hirst that will spell the end of Ladapo's time here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Freddie Ladapo on 13:37 - Aug 21 with 2576 viewsAsa

Freddie Ladapo on 13:34 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

There is almost zero chance that Ladapo will be happy to stay here as third choice striker for a team that plays one up top. Not at this stage of his career, he will want regular minutes. I suspect if another forward comes in to compete with Hirst that will spell the end of Ladapo's time here.

I agree. I'd like to keep him as third choice, but can fully understand it if he wanted to move on.
Freddie Ladapo on 13:41 - Aug 21 with 2524 viewsVaughan8

Was Jackson just more suited to the situation at that.time?

Not sure I'd read too much into this so soon? Maybe I'm wrong.

Ladapo has a role to play definitely and will be coming on most games. I'm not sure we're going to find much better for a couple of million are we? And teams are just going to.let go.of their strikers and if they are going to be for big money for us.

Maybe a loan youngster to "compete" with Freddie for the second striker role.
Freddie Ladapo on 13:47 - Aug 21 with 2462 viewstractorboy1978

Freddie Ladapo on 13:41 - Aug 21 by Vaughan8

Was Jackson just more suited to the situation at that.time?

Not sure I'd read too much into this so soon? Maybe I'm wrong.

Ladapo has a role to play definitely and will be coming on most games. I'm not sure we're going to find much better for a couple of million are we? And teams are just going to.let go.of their strikers and if they are going to be for big money for us.

Maybe a loan youngster to "compete" with Freddie for the second striker role.

With a couple of million we could definitely get better or more suited to how McKenna wants us to play.
Freddie Ladapo on 13:51 - Aug 21 with 2413 viewsWestover

I'm not convinced that Hirst is good enough and I will be surprised if he scores more than 15 championship goals this season but I hope he gets 20 plus.
Freddie Ladapo on 14:03 - Aug 21 with 2290 viewsHerbivore

Freddie Ladapo on 13:51 - Aug 21 by Westover

I'm not convinced that Hirst is good enough and I will be surprised if he scores more than 15 championship goals this season but I hope he gets 20 plus.

Hirst has been excellent so far. He's worked tirelessly, so got himself a goal, and got into positions to have other chances and could/should have had two penalties already. We've got goals from other areas so 15 from Hirst would be a good return, he gives us so much more than just goals.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Freddie Ladapo on 14:05 - Aug 21 with 2241 viewsGlasgowBlue

Goals are not the sole focus for a striker in a McKenna team.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Freddie Ladapo on 14:05 - Aug 21 with 2239 viewstractorboy1978

Freddie Ladapo on 14:03 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Hirst has been excellent so far. He's worked tirelessly, so got himself a goal, and got into positions to have other chances and could/should have had two penalties already. We've got goals from other areas so 15 from Hirst would be a good return, he gives us so much more than just goals.

He was excellent on Saturday despite being totally goosed in the last half hour. We look such a better side with him in it. We don't want to run him into the ground which is why we need another striker with similar qualities to share the load.
Freddie Ladapo on 14:07 - Aug 21 with 2224 viewsBlueBoots

Scored 9 goals from 18 starts in his last season in this division (playing for a basket case team), so I for one am not going to write him off after 15 minutes off the bench against Sunderland and about 30 seconds against QPR.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Freddie Ladapo on 14:11 - Aug 21 with 2186 viewsjayessess

Freddie Ladapo on 14:03 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Makes me laugh, so far we've lined up against 3 teams whose 3 centre forwards have a combined total of 1 goal in English league football and people are on here making bold statements about Hirst "not being good enough" and Ladapo not being "anywhere near good enough".

I'm pretty sure we'll look for another forward and don't imagine for a second that Big Fred is the long term plan as our 2nd-choice striker but it's genuinely ridiculous to me the lack of respect some give our players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Freddie Ladapo on 14:26 - Aug 21 with 2059 viewsStokieBlue

In what world is 15 championship goals, especially given the way we play, seen as "not good enough"?

The takes become hotter by the hour.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024