Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We all pay loads of tax in this country 12:26 - Jun 29 with 4439 viewschicoazul

And get literally f-all for it.
Why is this?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:27 - Jun 29 with 2784 viewschicoazul

This is a serious question by the way.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:27 - Jun 29 with 2782 viewsKeno

is "Tory Government" the answer?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:30 - Jun 29 with 2760 viewsGeoffSentence

Not true.

Some people pay feck all tax.
Some people get loads back in cash hand outs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:35 - Jun 29 with 2708 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

-multi billion contracts for useless PPE
-80bn in debt interest
-Hereditary Lords
-Aircraft carriers with no planes
-subsidies for billion dollar oil majors
-20pc of your council tax on pensions

Enjoy!
We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:38 - Jun 29 with 2688 viewsNthQldITFC

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:35 - Jun 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

-multi billion contracts for useless PPE
-80bn in debt interest
-Hereditary Lords
-Aircraft carriers with no planes
-subsidies for billion dollar oil majors
-20pc of your council tax on pensions

Enjoy!

Propping up Canadian pension schemes... is the topical answer.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:43 - Jun 29 with 2659 viewsTangledupin_Blue

They need all that money so that they can give it to the water companies so that the water companies can give six-figure bonuses to their directors and dividends to their shareholders.

You could cut out the middle man by giving your money to the nearest rich person. (With the administrative saving you might even have enough left for a weekend in Skegness where you can swim among the Plymouth goldfish).
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 13:04]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:45 - Jun 29 with 2637 viewsDanTheMan

I'd be interested to see stats on where lower, middle and high earners sit in terms of tax burden vs. people in similar econonmies. Imagine we're not far off the average although anyone with a Plan 2 student loan gets a massive hit as it's effectively an extra whopping tax.

People might notice our corporate tax rate is very low... wonder what we could pay for if that wasn't so generous.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:47 - Jun 29 with 2614 viewsDarth_Koont

We get f-all because we’re a low-tax, low-spend country.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:47 - Jun 29 with 2620 viewsghostofescobar

Even you must know that getting “literally” f all is not true. So what exactly do you mean? Are there certain things the state is meant to provide but doesn’t? You could say the NHS, but we do “literally” get quite a lot back. It may not be perfect and may have been brought close to collapse by the Tories, but we, currently, do get something back. You need to be more specific in your argument.

GhostOfEscobar

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 13:03 - Jun 29 with 2553 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:47 - Jun 29 by ghostofescobar

Even you must know that getting “literally” f all is not true. So what exactly do you mean? Are there certain things the state is meant to provide but doesn’t? You could say the NHS, but we do “literally” get quite a lot back. It may not be perfect and may have been brought close to collapse by the Tories, but we, currently, do get something back. You need to be more specific in your argument.

Atm I'm in Croydon.

Soon I'll drive to Felixstowe. On the roads.
If it were dark then my trip would be illuminated. By streetlights.
If I crash then there will be people to come to my aid. Police. Fire service.
If I am injured I'll be taken to hospital. In an ambulance.
I can write this because I learned to write. In a school.
If we are attacked by Russia then there will be soldiers to wave the white flags on my behalf and RAF planes to fly our politicians to safety.

Etc etc
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 13:06]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:51 - Jun 29 with 2377 viewshomer_123

Two observations.

We don't pay enough tax and what we do pay is mismanaged.

It's not a conversation people want to have - if we want a progressive society that offers great education, excellent public services a Healthcare system that is fit for purpose and some good form of UI - we need to fund them properly and the way to do that, for the benefit of all, is pay for it through taxation. By the by, those that earn more, should pay more.

But no political party will come close to having this grown up adult conversation and even if they did - we are to individualist to vote a party in long term to sort that out.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 16:22]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:54 - Jun 29 with 2361 viewschicoazul

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 13:03 - Jun 29 by Tangledupin_Blue

Atm I'm in Croydon.

Soon I'll drive to Felixstowe. On the roads.
If it were dark then my trip would be illuminated. By streetlights.
If I crash then there will be people to come to my aid. Police. Fire service.
If I am injured I'll be taken to hospital. In an ambulance.
I can write this because I learned to write. In a school.
If we are attacked by Russia then there will be soldiers to wave the white flags on my behalf and RAF planes to fly our politicians to safety.

Etc etc
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 13:06]

What if none of those things happen?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:57 - Jun 29 with 2350 viewshomer_123

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:47 - Jun 29 by ghostofescobar

Fair questions.

The wider question is 'What do we want as a society?'

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:58 - Jun 29 with 2344 viewsgiant_stow

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:54 - Jun 29 by chicoazul

Out of interest, is there any chance of listing how you'd run things differently if you were Chico the Dictator?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:03 - Jun 29 with 2314 viewsbluelagos

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:54 - Jun 29 by chicoazul

Then we don't get a refund.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:08 - Jun 29 with 2302 viewsghostofescobar

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:57 - Jun 29 by homer_123

Fair questions.

The wider question is 'What do we want as a society?'

I think that is the problem. In my view, over the past 40 odd years we’ve wanted the Scandinavian social model, but the USA tax model, i.e. top quality public services, but not pay for it! Obviously that is completely incompatible.

GhostOfEscobar

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:18 - Jun 29 with 2273 viewshomer_123

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:08 - Jun 29 by ghostofescobar

I think that is the problem. In my view, over the past 40 odd years we’ve wanted the Scandinavian social model, but the USA tax model, i.e. top quality public services, but not pay for it! Obviously that is completely incompatible.

We all pay loads of tax in this country by homer_123 29 Jun 2023 15:51
Two observations.

It's not a conversation people want to have - if we want a progressive society that offers great education, excellent public services a Healthcare system that is fit for purpose and some good form of UI - we need to fund them properly and the way to do that, for the benefit of all, is pay for it through taxation. By the by, those that earn more, should pay more.

But no political party will come close to having this grown up adult conversation and even if they did - we are to individualist to vote a party in long term to sort that out.

Part of the narrative has been perpetrated by all political parties during that period. No one has the balls to say 'Pay up!.

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:20 - Jun 29 with 2267 viewsJohnTy

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:08 - Jun 29 by ghostofescobar

Yes. Brexit was a libertarian/small state project sold to people by a slogan on a bus about spending more on the NHS .

It seems impossible to have a grown up conversation in this country. A bit like the US.
We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:22 - Jun 29 with 2259 viewshype313

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:18 - Jun 29 by homer_123

We all pay loads of tax in this country by homer_123 29 Jun 2023 15:51
Two observations.

Part of the narrative has been perpetrated by all political parties during that period. No one has the balls to say 'Pay up!.

I'm all for paying more tax, but I don't trust the politicians to spend it wisely!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:23 - Jun 29 with 2259 viewshomer_123

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:22 - Jun 29 by hype313

I'm all for paying more tax, but I don't trust the politicians to spend it wisely!

No disagreement from me on that.

Private companies 'always' outperform Government run ones..... ;)

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:31 - Jun 29 with 2238 viewsDJR

The table in section 4/9 of the linked article shows that we have a relatively low overall tax burden by international standards. Indeed, we are below the OECD average, and all of the much more successful western European countries (with much better public services) are well above us.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tax-uk-compared-europe-countries-155339976.html?guccou

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, and our obsession with lower taxes (which I think costs us more in the long run) is not in most people's interest.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 16:33]
We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:34 - Jun 29 with 2220 viewsBlueRaider

I think some of it is down to demographics, the baby boom generation are leaving work and are now retiring, this means we now have a very high amount of people over 65, drawing pensions and of course using the health service more. We had a long period where this high population generation were working, now its reversing, and so we are likely to have a fair few years with a lot of pensioners.

Add on government incomptence and there you go

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 18:17 - Jun 29 with 2090 viewschicoazul

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 12:47 - Jun 29 by Darth_Koont

We get f-all because we’re a low-tax, low-spend country.

So if I put aside the “we aren’t” argument for a moment. We pay a third of our income on tax, let’s say. I think that’s generally agreed. Do we get f-all because we don’t pay enough or because the people spending it are useless?
To give a personal eg. My council tax has gone up. My many bins are collected less often and one of them isn’t collected at all 4 months of the year and the library is shut two days a week. Why am I paying more but getting less? How does this work?

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 18:33 - Jun 29 with 2043 viewschicoazul

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 15:58 - Jun 29 by giant_stow

Out of interest, is there any chance of listing how you'd run things differently if you were Chico the Dictator?

I would;
Reinstate the grammar school system and reintroduce the direct grant system
Build nuclear power stations
Reintroduce tax breaks for families and the family allowance
Renationalise the railways water and electric provision as the Govt should run these utilities
Reintroduce discounted mortgages for key workers
Figure out how to free up the many properties with 2+ empty bedrooms by some sort of carrot and or stick approach to owners
Stop so many building houses but direct those energies toward reinstatement and refurbishment of large derelict properties
Reduce income tax
Increase VAT (certain categories to be exempt)
Increase tax on new cars and the tax on older vehicles

For starters.

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 18:35 - Jun 29 with 2028 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We all pay loads of tax in this country on 16:31 - Jun 29 by DJR

The table in section 4/9 of the linked article shows that we have a relatively low overall tax burden by international standards. Indeed, we are below the OECD average, and all of the much more successful western European countries (with much better public services) are well above us.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tax-uk-compared-europe-countries-155339976.html?guccou

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, and our obsession with lower taxes (which I think costs us more in the long run) is not in most people's interest.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 16:33]

I’m not sure why but the word tax instantly makes me think income tax. The levels seem appropriate as they stand, and I’m not sure many people can afford any rises when times are so tough.

Whilst I think the highest income tax rate needs to rise, the tiny number of people in that bracket make it insignificant to the overall tax take. The richest people also don’t draw a salary so we need higher CGT, higher inheritance tax, higher corporation tax, and those who set themselves up as a company. Why is somebody working in the NHS paying twice the income tax % as Gary Neville was earning millions in his playing days for example.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024