Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently 20:59 - Jun 22 with 5803 viewsElderGrizzly

Quite the take on Question Time tonight

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:03 - Jun 22 with 3562 viewsCheltenham_Blue

God, that made me cringe.
And to think I needed reminding about the joys of being British.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:07 - Jun 22 with 3540 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bizarre. I don’t remember seeing ‘we want to be free to kill tradespeople’ on the side of a bus.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:08 - Jun 22 with 3531 viewsDanTheMan

I... what?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:21 - Jun 22 with 3462 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:08 - Jun 22 by DanTheMan

I... what?

Roofs Dan, roofs. All those Frenchies falling off roofs and we want to be able to do that, apparently.

As an aside, when I was at school we were taught that the plural of roof was rooves. That’s Britannia Primary for you .

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:40 - Jun 22 with 3405 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mad roof woman is easy to understand as she’s just swallowed some bull she’s seen in the Mail or on Facebook. It’s this type of person voting to leave I struggle to understand. His company depends on stock moving easily between multiple EU companies and the UK. Why on Earth would they think becoming a Third Country would be a good idea? Maybe I should have watched after all, as I’d liked to have heard why he voted to leave (if he was asked).

And fair play too. Takes some balls to be open and honest like that on national tv.

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:42 - Jun 22 with 3396 viewsronnyd

What about Kemar Roofe?
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:43 - Jun 22 with 3394 viewsElderGrizzly

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:40 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Mad roof woman is easy to understand as she’s just swallowed some bull she’s seen in the Mail or on Facebook. It’s this type of person voting to leave I struggle to understand. His company depends on stock moving easily between multiple EU companies and the UK. Why on Earth would they think becoming a Third Country would be a good idea? Maybe I should have watched after all, as I’d liked to have heard why he voted to leave (if he was asked).

And fair play too. Takes some balls to be open and honest like that on national tv.

It’s on TV later on as usual. This is the live red button/iplayer feed.

And to your point, they were lied to. And tonight the Government sent no-one to the show.

[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 21:44]
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 22:21 - Jun 22 with 3313 viewsHARRY10

I think this is the case of the old person explaining why they have lived so long.

No real idea, so they come out with "I have a bowl of custard before bed and a walnut every second Sunday in the month".

These are basically bigots/racists who don't understand how the EU works so regurgitate some horror story from the Mail, or lately kGB Views.

Now given that the producers know what you are going to ask, I have been on QT, I suspect they will question those who will gave answers to provoke wider debate about something.......that was on Question Time.

They will be spoilt for choice tonight.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 22:23 - Jun 22 with 3307 viewsWhos_blue

For the love of god. I just despair. I always watch QT. Don't know why. It usually does my head in!
I might break my turning off record tonight!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 22:28 - Jun 22 with 3289 viewsHARRY10

And now Ada, who lives in (or is) Barking.

She says she voted for Brexit as she heard Mr Farage say we could close the Channel tunnel, and stop that awful smell of Garlic coming through it.

It over excites her two Pekinese dogs, she tells us.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 22:29]
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 22:57 - Jun 22 with 3235 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:21 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Roofs Dan, roofs. All those Frenchies falling off roofs and we want to be able to do that, apparently.

As an aside, when I was at school we were taught that the plural of roof was rooves. That’s Britannia Primary for you .

Look here, rooves are roofs and you have to abide by them...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 23:00 - Jun 22 with 3223 viewsHARRY10

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 22:57 - Jun 22 by WeWereZombies

Look here, rooves are roofs and you have to abide by them...

But a dog woofs

it does'nt wooves
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 23:07 - Jun 22 with 3197 viewsOldsmoker

I don't understand why they don't ask Colin on Question time.
He seems to be the typical Tory voter.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:18 - Jun 23 with 2877 viewsBlueBoots

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:21 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Was taught "rooves not roofs" at school myself, so I must remember that when I'm badmouthing the local urchins that they are yooves, not yoofs.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:26 - Jun 23 with 2862 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What do you call the feeling of laughing yourself into a pit of despair?

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:37 - Jun 23 with 2838 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's easy to laugh at someone like this, but ultimately what she says is true - in construction the levels of H&S get higher and higher and more costly via EU rules - makes business at times very difficult......but think most people get over and get on with it as generally it mostly makes sense (bar all the OTT paperwork)

But then you go to other countries in EU, especially in Southern Europe - Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal (and that's before we look at old Eastern Bloc) and there are clearly next to no H&S standards applied and it is frightfully dangerous.

We are all supposed to be signed up to the same set of rules, and our firms are supposed to compete with EU firms with free trade etc, but we are hamstrung by regulations where they are ignored on the continent and therefore can't compete

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:47 - Jun 23 with 2817 viewsDJR

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 21:07 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Bizarre. I don’t remember seeing ‘we want to be free to kill tradespeople’ on the side of a bus.

As someone who has canvassed voters over the years, I have come to realise that many people vote more on emotion than anything else, and often vote for particularly irrational reasons. One voter in Hastings on benefits, for example, was planning to vote Tory back in 2015 because he objected to the flying of an EU flag on the town hall which he thought had been required by the EU. Sadly, trying to explain to him or them that it is not in their interests to vote as they do falls on deaf ears.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2023 8:50]
Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:47 - Jun 23 with 2812 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:37 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

I think it's easy to laugh at someone like this, but ultimately what she says is true - in construction the levels of H&S get higher and higher and more costly via EU rules - makes business at times very difficult......but think most people get over and get on with it as generally it mostly makes sense (bar all the OTT paperwork)

But then you go to other countries in EU, especially in Southern Europe - Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal (and that's before we look at old Eastern Bloc) and there are clearly next to no H&S standards applied and it is frightfully dangerous.

We are all supposed to be signed up to the same set of rules, and our firms are supposed to compete with EU firms with free trade etc, but we are hamstrung by regulations where they are ignored on the continent and therefore can't compete

A few months after the June 2016 referendum I was in New Zealand and we found ourselves surrounded by elderly French tourists at breakfast. They told us that the problem with the British was that we stuck to the rules, as in they regarded law as more of a guideline and when it was not pragmatic to follow the law then there was a justification to 'do the sensible thing'. Or. as Dicken's Mr. Bumble observed, there are times when the law is an ass. So why are the English so obedient ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:49 - Jun 23 with 2802 viewshype313

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:37 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

Agreed Joe, but I can't get my head around why this woman voted for Brexit due to lacklustre H&S laws applied in Southern Europe.

Bizarre.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:53 - Jun 23 with 2783 viewsitfcjoe

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:49 - Jun 23 by hype313

Agreed Joe, but I can't get my head around why this woman voted for Brexit due to lacklustre H&S laws applied in Southern Europe.

Bizarre.

I guess it's more that 'they' set the rules and then 'they' don't follow them whilst we do and it hurts us.

Where 'they' covers the bureaucrats in Brussels, the carpenters in Cyprus and the scaffolders in Sofia

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:59 - Jun 23 with 2764 viewsHerbivore

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:53 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

I guess it's more that 'they' set the rules and then 'they' don't follow them whilst we do and it hurts us.

Where 'they' covers the bureaucrats in Brussels, the carpenters in Cyprus and the scaffolders in Sofia

Bit of a playground mentality that. We were always involved in setting the rules, and unless we think being massively lax on health and safety in the construction sector is a good thing then I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:06 - Jun 23 with 2737 viewsitfcjoe

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:59 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

Bit of a playground mentality that. We were always involved in setting the rules, and unless we think being massively lax on health and safety in the construction sector is a good thing then I'm not really sure what the issue is.

The issue is we are supposedly competing on a level footing but aren't because the EU doesn't enforce the rules across the country - so we get punished for doing the right thing and following the rules.

I think there is a similarity to some of the State Aid debates, where we play by the rules and it costs us - it seems none of the other big European powers would countenance firms from other countries taking on major infrastructure projects but we do because we follow the rules.

Maybe that is that inate Britishness mentioned above, that we are sticklers for the rules and we see that clash with British exceptionalism - but it obviously frustrated people holidaying in the EU when they see those with same rules just flouting them

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:14 - Jun 23 with 2714 viewsHerbivore

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:06 - Jun 23 by itfcjoe

The issue is we are supposedly competing on a level footing but aren't because the EU doesn't enforce the rules across the country - so we get punished for doing the right thing and following the rules.

I think there is a similarity to some of the State Aid debates, where we play by the rules and it costs us - it seems none of the other big European powers would countenance firms from other countries taking on major infrastructure projects but we do because we follow the rules.

Maybe that is that inate Britishness mentioned above, that we are sticklers for the rules and we see that clash with British exceptionalism - but it obviously frustrated people holidaying in the EU when they see those with same rules just flouting them

EU regulations always have been implemented at state level. If we choose to be sticklers, that is on us. To be honest, I can't say I've seen lots of Cypriot building firms over here knocking up housing developments on the cheap without so much as a hard hat in sight and I'm not sure how many UK construction firms are looking to bid to build a few villas in Greece, so not sure how the competition point holds in that instance.

On state aid, other countries didn't flout the rules, we simply weren't willing to do what was allowed within the rules ourselves because the Tories, unless it enriches them somehow, are generally against state interference in the market. They cited state aid as a reason to leave but it was repeatedly pointed out that they'd never sought to go to the limit of let alone beyond what was allowed as an EU member state. France are in the EU and were able to fully nationalise EDF during the energy crisis and we are now effectively subsidizing them. We were outside the EU and did we look to nationalise the failing energy companies, let alone take over any of the big ones so we could more closely control costs to consumers?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:25 - Jun 23 with 2674 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 08:26 - Jun 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

What do you call the feeling of laughing yourself into a pit of despair?

Er, supporting Norwich?

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:32 - Jun 23 with 2656 viewsDJR

Brexit - it was all about the roofs apparently on 09:14 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

EU regulations always have been implemented at state level. If we choose to be sticklers, that is on us. To be honest, I can't say I've seen lots of Cypriot building firms over here knocking up housing developments on the cheap without so much as a hard hat in sight and I'm not sure how many UK construction firms are looking to bid to build a few villas in Greece, so not sure how the competition point holds in that instance.

On state aid, other countries didn't flout the rules, we simply weren't willing to do what was allowed within the rules ourselves because the Tories, unless it enriches them somehow, are generally against state interference in the market. They cited state aid as a reason to leave but it was repeatedly pointed out that they'd never sought to go to the limit of let alone beyond what was allowed as an EU member state. France are in the EU and were able to fully nationalise EDF during the energy crisis and we are now effectively subsidizing them. We were outside the EU and did we look to nationalise the failing energy companies, let alone take over any of the big ones so we could more closely control costs to consumers?

The other thing to bear in mind is that not all health and safety laws are EU derived, so maybe we just opt for higher standards here than some other countries choose to do.

And the black economy in southern Europe may also play a large part in corners being cut there, coupled perhaps with a lack of enforcement.

Having said that, enforcement may be an increasing problem here as the following indicates.

https://prospect.org.uk/health-and-safety-executive/

In any event, I remember when we had our kitchen done a few years ago, the apprentice carpenter only wore a mask (as he was required to do) when in the presence of someone from his college.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2023 9:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024