Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is dispiriting 17:58 - Apr 9 with 1608 viewsDJR

Whilst Britain isn't alone in this, this is rather depressing reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/09/britain-not-close-to-being-a-racia

It's all the more reason that politicians should be fighting against racism, instead of keeping their heads down.

We could also do with something like Rock Against Racism in the 1970s.
This is dispiriting on 20:58 - Apr 9 with 1410 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m surprised at how high white Irish comes out in those charts. Slightly surprised how far ahead Jewish people are compared to some of the other ethnicities too.

You’re right of course. Depressing and even more so that we have a government actively encouraging discrimination (e.g. most recently the disproportionate attacks on Pakistani men from Sunak and Braverman).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is dispiriting on 22:49 - Apr 9 with 1289 viewsCoastalblue

Sadly while we should never stop trying to achieve a racially just society, there are always going to be people who are to put it bluntly, thick.

The fact that racism against people from a Chinese heritage saw a spike in racism during the pandemic just goes to show that.

We see it on here, often those making the statements that are skewed that way are often the ones that are least capable of making a coherent post.

It's not an excuse, and as I say we should never stop trying to eradicate it, but while we have less intelligent members of society it's always likely to rear it's head unfortunately.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is dispiriting on 10:51 - Apr 10 with 1163 viewsleitrimblue

This is dispiriting on 20:58 - Apr 9 by Swansea_Blue

I’m surprised at how high white Irish comes out in those charts. Slightly surprised how far ahead Jewish people are compared to some of the other ethnicities too.

You’re right of course. Depressing and even more so that we have a government actively encouraging discrimination (e.g. most recently the disproportionate attacks on Pakistani men from Sunak and Braverman).

It's also incredible that in 2023 so many ethnic groups experienced more racial discrimination at the hands of the police ( people employed in theory to keep them safe) then any other body. Gypsy, traveller, Roma, Jewish, Chinese
, mixed w/b Caribbean and mixed white Asian all suffered more racial discrimination by the police force then anywhere else
This is dispiriting on 11:06 - Apr 10 with 1129 viewsmylittletown

It is very dispiriting, but I can't believe that anyone is surprised?
This is dispiriting on 11:07 - Apr 10 with 1116 viewsDJR

This is dispiriting on 11:06 - Apr 10 by mylittletown

It is very dispiriting, but I can't believe that anyone is surprised?

That's very true.
This is dispiriting on 11:10 - Apr 10 with 1090 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It would be very interesting to see a comparison with equivalent data from 5-10 years prior to this.

It feels like the direction of travel under recent politics has been the wrong way. e.g. how does "woke" become a term of abuse?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This is dispiriting on 14:43 - Apr 10 with 963 viewsnoggin

This is dispiriting on 22:49 - Apr 9 by Coastalblue

Sadly while we should never stop trying to achieve a racially just society, there are always going to be people who are to put it bluntly, thick.

The fact that racism against people from a Chinese heritage saw a spike in racism during the pandemic just goes to show that.

We see it on here, often those making the statements that are skewed that way are often the ones that are least capable of making a coherent post.

It's not an excuse, and as I say we should never stop trying to eradicate it, but while we have less intelligent members of society it's always likely to rear it's head unfortunately.

Problem is, it's highly intelligent individuals that are fuelling the fire. As Akala points out, racism is orchestrated from the top down, not from the bottom up.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 14:47]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This is dispiriting on 15:18 - Apr 10 with 889 viewsCoastalblue

This is dispiriting on 14:43 - Apr 10 by noggin

Problem is, it's highly intelligent individuals that are fuelling the fire. As Akala points out, racism is orchestrated from the top down, not from the bottom up.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 14:47]

Yep, can't disagree with that, scummy evil people, followed by sad, thick individuals.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

This is dispiriting on 14:09 - Apr 12 with 692 viewsmylittletown

This is dispiriting on 15:18 - Apr 10 by Coastalblue

Yep, can't disagree with that, scummy evil people, followed by sad, thick individuals.

And that, people, is the story of the last 15 or so years in major democracies.

It was bad before, but not like now.
This is dispiriting on 14:35 - Apr 12 with 628 viewsGlasgowBlue

Somebody once posed the question on here, why does antisemitism get so much publicity when Jews only make up 0.3% of the country’s population.

Their answer in in your report. Just 0.3% of the country’s population yet Jewish people are more likely to suffer racist assault than almost every other ethnic or religious minority in the UK. Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people experience the most.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is dispiriting on 14:39 - Apr 12 with 622 viewsgiant_stow

I've seen anti-Irish racism close up, albeit many years ago: One mate set fire to a skip on the way home from a club - we all scarpered, with me and my irish mate getting caught by the police and chained to a fence - they gave him, not me, proper full-on abuse over his accent. Baring in mind we were about 18, it must have been pretty scary for a boy getting that off grown men in power.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This is dispiriting on 14:40 - Apr 12 with 617 viewsgiant_stow

This is dispiriting on 14:35 - Apr 12 by GlasgowBlue

Somebody once posed the question on here, why does antisemitism get so much publicity when Jews only make up 0.3% of the country’s population.

Their answer in in your report. Just 0.3% of the country’s population yet Jewish people are more likely to suffer racist assault than almost every other ethnic or religious minority in the UK. Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people experience the most.

Its because Jews are considered fair game, even by many otherwise decent people. so strange.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This is dispiriting on 15:07 - Apr 12 with 566 viewsleitrimblue

This is dispiriting on 14:40 - Apr 12 by giant_stow

Its because Jews are considered fair game, even by many otherwise decent people. so strange.

You should also see what happens on here when travellers arrive in some park in Ipswich. It's like the end of the world for some
This is dispiriting on 15:14 - Apr 12 with 515 viewsgiant_stow

This is dispiriting on 15:07 - Apr 12 by leitrimblue

You should also see what happens on here when travellers arrive in some park in Ipswich. It's like the end of the world for some

fair point

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024