Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know nothing about Leif Davis 09:57 - Jul 26 with 2274 viewsDeepBlueSea

..so I stand to be corrected by those who do, but doesn’t this seem an awful lot to spend on a left back, given our relative lack of funds? Essentially what I’m looking for is an absolute puff piece on him by one of you that makes me certain he’ll fire us to promotion (from left back).
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:02 - Jul 26 with 2206 viewsSamWhiteUK

How have you got to "relative lack of funds"? Relative to what?
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:04 - Jul 26 with 2176 viewsjayessess

I'm not sure it makes much sense to say "a lot to spend on a left back" these days, it's such a key position in modern football. There are plenty of left backs you'd be mad to turn down at £1.5m, plenty of left backs who would instantly be our best and most important player.

Bielsa liked him. From what I've seen Leeds fans are in two minds about him going (but fans are often like that when a future prospect leaves). Most encouraging things I've seen is some Bournemouth fans saying they were slightly disappointed they hadn't gone for him. He's played the bulk of his limited senior football there and seems to have been well-rated amongst a very high quality squad.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:04 - Jul 26 with 2164 viewsWallingford_Boy

Ummmm where have you been for the last 18 months?

We have funds.... and plenty of them!!

RIP Sir Bobby

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:06 - Jul 26 with 2146 viewsReusersTown

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:02 - Jul 26 by SamWhiteUK

He's got there by chatting absolute rubbish! Not sure how it's quite so tough for some to comprehend that we might be saving our money for a couple of key signings in our positions of relative weakness. Rather than having to splurge relentlessly like last year.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:08 - Jul 26 with 2107 viewsitfcsuth

It is the highest fee ever paid in League 1 for a Left Back. It is a lot of money.

We have the funds, there is no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean you can act like a kid in a candy shop, which we certainly haven't up until this transfer.

As I said yesterday, it's a gamble paying this level of fee for a left back. He must be pretty special for us to be paying that at League 1.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:09 - Jul 26 with 2087 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The Wing Backs are the two most important players in the system KMcK has us playing. We had a great RWB last season, but teams knew we carried a lopsided threat and so good teams could focus their efforts on stopping Burns. If Davis is almost as good as Burns then he is worth the money, partly for what he will bring, partly because we won't be lopsided, and partly because teams will not be able to nullify Burns as effectively if they also have a decent LWB to contend with.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:10 - Jul 26 with 2075 viewspointofblue

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:02 - Jul 26 by SamWhiteUK

I think I’m right in saying that, being in League One, there are limits on our spending which is tied in with income?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 2026 viewsjayessess

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:08 - Jul 26 by itfcsuth

It is the highest fee ever paid in League 1 for a Left Back. It is a lot of money.

We have the funds, there is no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean you can act like a kid in a candy shop, which we certainly haven't up until this transfer.

As I said yesterday, it's a gamble paying this level of fee for a left back. He must be pretty special for us to be paying that at League 1.

I honestly don't get why "for a Left Back" is a thing here. It's a question of how good he is, not what position he plays.

Login to get fewer ads

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:15 - Jul 26 with 2000 viewsWallingford_Boy

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:10 - Jul 26 by pointofblue

I think I’m right in saying that, being in League One, there are limits on our spending which is tied in with income?

Yeah right, NO-ONE obeys these financial rules.

The rewards from ignoring them far outweigh the punishments for breaking them.

RIP Sir Bobby

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:15 - Jul 26 with 2004 viewsclive_baker

Don't really get the 'on a left back' bit. Our system doesn't work without the wing backs performing. Penney was miles off it, so addressing the issue was rightly a top priority. You have to pay the money if you want the quality. He probably won't score 10 goals, neither perhaps will Burns again this season, but it's vital that we have progressive wing backs that provide width and creativity going forwards. Not just that, but pressing aggressively from a wing back position gives us the ability to win the ball back much further up the pitch and force the opponent to play in areas of the pitch that they don't really want to. Very tough role to play though, physically as well. Penney, Kenlock and to a lesser extent KVY don't look to be the answer. It also relies on the left and right sided centre half being comfortable in a more traditional full back position which is why JD is so perfect for it. Edmundson is a good enough footballer on the other side too, I don't think Burgess is as comfortable.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:16 - Jul 26 with 1997 viewsGarv

If we'd spent that on Burns and he'd gone on to have the season he did, I don't think we'd be complaining about what we spent on him.

I also don't remember too many people worrying about spending a million on Edmundson.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:18 - Jul 26 with 1954 viewsMediocre_Quick

'Lack of funds'

This isn't the Evans era anymore, we're probably one of the richest clubs in this division, so assuming this comment is off the back of 3x free agent signings
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:38 - Jul 26 with 1838 viewsGuthrum

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:10 - Jul 26 by pointofblue

Only on wages (as a proportion of turnover), not transfer fees. Also investment (as opposed to loans) can offset losses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:48 - Jul 26 with 1755 viewsitfcsuth

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:13 - Jul 26 by jayessess

I honestly don't get why "for a Left Back" is a thing here. It's a question of how good he is, not what position he plays.

Well I think history would show the higher purchase prices are normally for your strikers, your gamechangers and flair players - it's the way that football has often been.

You don't notoriously have to pay the big bucks for fullbacks, which is why £1.5M seems very expensive to me.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2022 10:48]
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:52 - Jul 26 with 1718 viewsSkip_Intro

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:48 - Jul 26 by itfcsuth

Well I think history would show the higher purchase prices are normally for your strikers, your gamechangers and flair players - it's the way that football has often been.

You don't notoriously have to pay the big bucks for fullbacks, which is why £1.5M seems very expensive to me.

Quality wing backs are hugely expensive and key players in almost all successful modern teams...

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/values/players/most-valuable-players/wing-b
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:56 - Jul 26 with 1687 viewsjayessess

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:48 - Jul 26 by itfcsuth

Game's changed though, hasn't it? Full backs are highly prized and key players for elite clubs (think Cancelo at Man City, Alexander-Arnold and Robertson at Liverpool, Alphonso Davies at Bayern Munich).

There still is a premium for forwards, for sure, but that cuts both ways I think. Chances are you get more bang for your buck with a Left Back!

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 11:32 - Jul 26 with 1564 viewsN2_Blue

Some of our fans are wierd.

They used to moan when we didn't ever pay a fee on anyone and when purse strings were tight.

Now we spend money on a pivotal position and fans moan again. Make up your effing minds.

Any fee is a risk, player can get injured, lose form disappoint etc. But he clearly has calibre and is young and hungry. The resale value potential is why Ashton and co are going for these types of players and they feel it warrants the fee. Some will work out some won't but you have to speculate sometimes or you go nowhere.

Same in business if you want to grow, when you make cash you reinvest in new stock.
We got money from Flynn, we have re-invested it and very wisely in my opinion.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 11:53 - Jul 26 with 1504 viewsHighgateBlue

Yes, it's a lot to spend on a left back. But it might turn out to be a bargain. If he's a quarter as good as Mings or Cresswell, then we've played a blinder.

I'm not sure we do have a relative lack of funds by the way. £14m has literally just been injected into the club via a share issue, and if we wanted to we could spend it all on wages. Or on transfer fees and wages.

Nobody can guarantee that Davis turns out to be a terrific investment, but he's a promising young player (from a premier league club) who's managed to be promoted twice to the Premier League in the last 2 years whilst we've been stuck in the third division. I'm trusting 100% McKenna on this one.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 12:25 - Jul 26 with 1443 viewsDinDjarin

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:15 - Jul 26 by clive_baker

Don't really get the 'on a left back' bit. Our system doesn't work without the wing backs performing. Penney was miles off it, so addressing the issue was rightly a top priority. You have to pay the money if you want the quality. He probably won't score 10 goals, neither perhaps will Burns again this season, but it's vital that we have progressive wing backs that provide width and creativity going forwards. Not just that, but pressing aggressively from a wing back position gives us the ability to win the ball back much further up the pitch and force the opponent to play in areas of the pitch that they don't really want to. Very tough role to play though, physically as well. Penney, Kenlock and to a lesser extent KVY don't look to be the answer. It also relies on the left and right sided centre half being comfortable in a more traditional full back position which is why JD is so perfect for it. Edmundson is a good enough footballer on the other side too, I don't think Burgess is as comfortable.

Burgess is more than comfortable, dont get why people keep saying otherwise.

Fridge is a better defender no question about that but Burgess actually looked more naturally comfortable on the left of the three than Fridge.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 1166 viewsDeepBlueSea

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 11:32 - Jul 26 by N2_Blue

Some of our fans are wierd.

They used to moan when we didn't ever pay a fee on anyone and when purse strings were tight.

Now we spend money on a pivotal position and fans moan again. Make up your effing minds.

Any fee is a risk, player can get injured, lose form disappoint etc. But he clearly has calibre and is young and hungry. The resale value potential is why Ashton and co are going for these types of players and they feel it warrants the fee. Some will work out some won't but you have to speculate sometimes or you go nowhere.

Same in business if you want to grow, when you make cash you reinvest in new stock.
We got money from Flynn, we have re-invested it and very wisely in my opinion.

Wow, just reading through the replies to this the amount of confrontational answers is a bit over the top- what’s happened to this board?!

I think it’s a legitimate question. From what I can tell we’ve only paid fees for two players this season, the other of which was less than half the price of Leif. And as a rough rule defenders tend to be less expensive compared to forward players. It’s a legitimate question.

Anyway, here’s hoping he’s a massive success and we are all happy. Jeez.
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 09:43 - Jul 30 with 825 viewsTractorTom5

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:08 - Jul 26 by itfcsuth

It’s a huge gamble, let’s hope the Leif is worth it .
As far as I can see he’s a relatively unknown , injury prone kid we’ve just paid a million for .
I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:01 - Jul 30 with 755 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes is the short answer. But wing backs are Uber-fashionable at the moment

I wonder how many, if any other wing backs at the other 22 clubs cost anything at all

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:08 - Jul 30 with 714 viewschicoazul

Strongly suspect we will see us move away from wing backs now we have signed him. Burns basically plays right half anyway with Janoi tucking in behind him. Burns will play much higher up the pitch now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 10:09 - Jul 30 with 718 viewsNthQldITFC

I know nothing about Leif Davis on 09:43 - Jul 30 by TractorTom5

It’s a huge gamble, let’s hope the Leif is worth it .
As far as I can see he’s a relatively unknown , injury prone kid we’ve just paid a million for .

Why the hell is it a gamble? It's a small chunk of a recent investment from our owners. A gamble might be relying on signing injured midfielders with no experience of the rough and tumble of English football, when you're one bad season away from oblivion. For example.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024