Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 10:57 - Aug 18 with 1766 viewsSimonds92

He has been adamant in press conferences that this is his preferred formation but I'm not really sure we're playing in that way so far. The transfer dealings were also really puzzling based on him wanting to play that way. Im not questioning the quality of them, i think we've signed some very good individuals, but (apart from Edwards who is potentially our most dangerous player) they really look geared towards playing a 3-5-2 imo.
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 12:21 - Aug 18 with 1651 viewsMoriarty

I wonder if he will go 4-4-2 for a while?

Maybe a step back to basics is needed now.

Gel or no gel, any pro will know what 4-4-2 is about.

fka omuircheartaigh

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 12:27 - Aug 18 with 1616 viewsPrice_1991

We have the players in to play the system cook wants to and it will click we just need to give it time. Individually in the games so far the attacking players have been brilliant (especially Edwards last night he was unplayable for much of the game) once they all click together and are training regularly together things will come good. I would imagine most of the squad have only had 1 maybe 2 training sessions together and now that our business in the window has been completed the I would expect the training sessions to ramp up a bit and have everyone in together now.
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 14:40 - Aug 18 with 1503 viewsJon_456

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 12:27 - Aug 18 by Price_1991

We have the players in to play the system cook wants to and it will click we just need to give it time. Individually in the games so far the attacking players have been brilliant (especially Edwards last night he was unplayable for much of the game) once they all click together and are training regularly together things will come good. I would imagine most of the squad have only had 1 maybe 2 training sessions together and now that our business in the window has been completed the I would expect the training sessions to ramp up a bit and have everyone in together now.

Especially given we have no midweek game next week. A full week of training before the Wimbledon game should help.
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 14:55 - Aug 18 with 1470 viewsgreyhound

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 12:21 - Aug 18 by Moriarty

Seems overly simple but the squad equally seems to fit a 442 diamond quite well
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 14:58 - Aug 18 with 1461 viewsPrice_1991

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 14:40 - Aug 18 by Jon_456

Especially given we have no midweek game next week. A full week of training before the Wimbledon game should help.

Yeah exactly have a down day on sunday then a full week of training with everyone in the building.

I wonder if the club do any social events as well to help the team get to know each other off the pitch which will help build relationships too?
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 15:03 - Aug 18 with 1449 viewsitfcjoe

This isn't something we can worry about - he is a 4231 man and will persist with that

It may sometimes be a second striker as opposed to a creative 10 but that isn't a massive deal

4231, 4411, full backs bombing on - midfielders covering

We will get there as we've got the quality - but it shoiuldn't be looking as difficult as we are making it look

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have you seen enough Joe to think we/he can turn it around? on 15:39 - Aug 18 with 1350 viewsunstableblue

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 15:03 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

This isn't something we can worry about - he is a 4231 man and will persist with that

It may sometimes be a second striker as opposed to a creative 10 but that isn't a massive deal

We will get there as we've got the quality - but it shoiuldn't be looking as difficult as we are making it look

I saw you were quite buoyant about the first half last night

I'm worried about confidence being shot, opposition really playing up and the system not settling... despite the better players as you are eluding to

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Have you seen enough Joe to think we/he can turn it around? on 15:44 - Aug 18 with 1328 viewsitfcjoe

Have you seen enough Joe to think we/he can turn it around? on 15:39 - Aug 18 by unstableblue

I saw you were quite buoyant about the first half last night

I'm worried about confidence being shot, opposition really playing up and the system not settling... despite the better players as you are eluding to

The only way things get better is if we start getting results - pressure is on, as it always should be for a club of our size in this league

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 16:06 - Aug 18 with 1255 viewsKropotkin123

4231 Example team one
Hladky

KVY
Coulson
Burgess
Edmundson

Harper
Evans

Burns
Fraser
Edwards

Pigott

4231 Example team two
Holy

Donacien
Penney
Woolfenden
Nsiala

Carroll
Humphreys/Nolan

Aluko/Barry
Chaplin
Dobra

Bonne

If we need to play 2 up top, then the central AM/FC, becomes a S. And we look more like the Cheltenham line-up with Bonne and Pigott starting.

We also have Norwood to cover that change to 2 up top.

Not sure how we haven't bought for the preferred 4231, as we basically have two teams worth of that formation, with a back up 442.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:18]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 17:05 - Aug 18 with 1132 viewsMoriarty

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 14:55 - Aug 18 by greyhound

Seems overly simple but the squad equally seems to fit a 442 diamond quite well

Possibly.

I was thinking :-
Hladky
KVY Burgess Woolf Coulson
Burns Carroll Harper Edwards
Piggot Bonne

We’ll know Saturday!

fka omuircheartaigh

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 18:02 - Aug 18 with 1059 viewsstrikalite

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 15:03 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

4231 or 2251? If we play bombing wing backs with two holders then fine, but without KVY that goes out of the window...

he should have gone 442 last night, without a pacey back up to KVY..
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 18:08 - Aug 18 with 1041 viewsistanblue

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 12:21 - Aug 18 by Moriarty

Apparently Cook has never used 4-4-2 in his entire career...
Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 18:19 - Aug 18 with 1008 viewsMoriarty

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 18:08 - Aug 18 by istanblue

If that’s the case it will be a (welcome) surprise!

fka omuircheartaigh

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 20:12 - Aug 18 with 899 viewsrickw

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 18:08 - Aug 18 by istanblue

He did try it 1 game for us last season and we still lost

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 21:38 - Aug 18 with 797 viewsreusersfreekicks

Paul Cook and his 4-5-1 on 16:06 - Aug 18 by Kropotkin123

4231 Example team one
Hladky

KVY
Coulson
Burgess
Edmundson

Harper
Evans

Burns
Fraser
Edwards

Pigott

4231 Example team two
Holy

Donacien
Penney
Woolfenden
Nsiala

Carroll
Humphreys/Nolan

Aluko/Barry
Chaplin
Dobra

Bonne

If we need to play 2 up top, then the central AM/FC, becomes a S. And we look more like the Cheltenham line-up with Bonne and Pigott starting.

We also have Norwood to cover that change to 2 up top.

Not sure how we haven't bought for the preferred 4231, as we basically have two teams worth of that formation, with a back up 442.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:18]

Lot of players, thought he wanted a smaller cohesive group of 18 or so?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024