Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate 09:23 - Jun 21 with 3005 viewsBiGDonnie

Definitely isn't England's best asset, is he?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Gareth Southgate on 09:26 - Jun 21 with 1859 viewsfooters

That Pizza Hut ad was probably him at the peak of his powers.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Gareth Southgate on 09:28 - Jun 21 with 1854 viewsrickw

I've disagreed with a lot of his decisions, but arguably qualifying from the group as second could be the best outcome and that's what we're on course to do.

The last 2 tournaments have been won by dull defensive teams who rely on their attacking stars to do something special, it seems Southgate is thinking the same, or that's what I'm telling myself anyway......

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Gareth Southgate on 09:32 - Jun 21 with 1823 viewsBiGDonnie

Gareth Southgate on 09:26 - Jun 21 by footers

That Pizza Hut ad was probably him at the peak of his powers.

He'd definitely pick pineapple on his pizza over a fully fit, experienced and in form pepperoni, that's for sure!

COYBs

Gareth Southgate on 09:33 - Jun 21 with 1816 viewsBiGDonnie

Gareth Southgate on 09:28 - Jun 21 by rickw

I've disagreed with a lot of his decisions, but arguably qualifying from the group as second could be the best outcome and that's what we're on course to do.

The last 2 tournaments have been won by dull defensive teams who rely on their attacking stars to do something special, it seems Southgate is thinking the same, or that's what I'm telling myself anyway......

He's out of his depth, plain and simple.

His selection has been worse than shocking. He's left put us/himself in a proper awkward situation now against Czech, needing a win and having no idea of his best 11.

Southgate Out.

COYBs

Gareth Southgate on 09:44 - Jun 21 with 1778 viewsGuthrum

Gareth Southgate on 09:33 - Jun 21 by BiGDonnie

His selection has been worse than shocking. He's left put us/himself in a proper awkward situation now against Czech, needing a win and having no idea of his best 11.

Southgate Out.

Hardly an awkward situation. England are almost certainly through to the knock-out stages even if we lose. A draw and we'll definitely be in the top two (bear in mind we've not conceded a single goal yet).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Gareth Southgate on 09:51 - Jun 21 with 1750 viewsSimonds92

In his 1 tournament so far he's reached the semi final. Also got us to the final of that Euro league thing. He's drawn one game and suddenly he's not good enough! (France drew with Hungary the other day, where was the outcry then?!). Head and shoulders above anyone we've had in 20 odd years and crucial to the culture he has created within the current group. The fact that players all get on, can speak to the media so well and dont feel the weight of the shirt is a really underestimated improvement he established, we cannot be successful without that.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 9:53]
Gareth Southgate on 09:56 - Jun 21 with 1704 viewsvilanovablue

Gareth Southgate on 09:51 - Jun 21 by Simonds92

In his 1 tournament so far he's reached the semi final. Also got us to the final of that Euro league thing. He's drawn one game and suddenly he's not good enough! (France drew with Hungary the other day, where was the outcry then?!). Head and shoulders above anyone we've had in 20 odd years and crucial to the culture he has created within the current group. The fact that players all get on, can speak to the media so well and dont feel the weight of the shirt is a really underestimated improvement he established, we cannot be successful without that.

Tactically he is a little dull or functional, call it what you will. On Friday the media were bemoaning the fact we had 4 points whilst celebrating the Welsh at the same time who also had 4 points. A win against Croatia was a good start and it was always likely to be an awful game against the Scots. It's early days and I'm not concerned at present.
Gareth Southgate on 09:57 - Jun 21 with 1701 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Gareth Southgate on 09:33 - Jun 21 by BiGDonnie

Southgate Out.

We don't need a win though.
Do we?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Southgate on 10:00 - Jun 21 with 1675 viewsnoggin

BiGDonnie definitely isn't TWTD's best asset, is he?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gareth Southgate on 10:04 - Jun 21 with 1666 viewsSaigonTractor

I just don't think there are many top level managers who want to manage international teams. While I don't think Southgate is a tactical genius, he does seem to understand how to handle the press and stop the players losing their heads. Which has been England's problem as long as I can remember.

The Scotland result was very disappointing, but apart from Italy there hasn't been a single team who has looked good every game they've played at this Euros. I think that's just the reality of tournament football.
Gareth Southgate on 10:05 - Jun 21 with 1654 viewsBiGDonnie

Gareth Southgate on 09:44 - Jun 21 by Guthrum

Hardly an awkward situation. England are almost certainly through to the knock-out stages even if we lose. A draw and we'll definitely be in the top two (bear in mind we've not conceded a single goal yet).

Are you happy with what you've seen so far?

Apparently we're now a work in progress.

He's so far out of his depth tactically it's insane.

COYBs

Gareth Southgate on 10:06 - Jun 21 with 1630 viewsfergalsharkey

who would you have in charge then....harry i will do anything for a monkey redknapp?

Poll: Cook out?

Gareth Southgate on 10:10 - Jun 21 with 1609 viewschicoazul

Gareth Southgate on 10:05 - Jun 21 by BiGDonnie

We played pretty well against Croatia. In hindsight the last half hour of the Scotland game was two teams who were both happy with the result standing off one another a bit. I don’t think Southgate is a genius and he is a bit defensive but I think he’s a decent manager for England.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gareth Southgate on 10:11 - Jun 21 with 1601 viewsBiGDonnie

Gareth Southgate on 10:06 - Jun 21 by fergalsharkey

who would you have in charge then....harry i will do anything for a monkey redknapp?

Arsene Wenger.

COYBs

Gareth Southgate on 10:13 - Jun 21 with 1583 viewsHighgateBlue

Gareth Southgate on 09:51 - Jun 21 by Simonds92

You're absolutely right to object to knee jerk reactions. But also bear in mind that in the tournament where we got to the semifinals, our best results were beating Sweden and beating Colombia on penalties. We did nothing at all against the leading lights: we lost to Croatia, and we managed to lose to Belgium twice...

So it was very much a 'par' performance in terms of form. But obviously wonderful for the nation to reach the semis of a world cup for the first time since Sir Bobby...
Gareth Southgate on 10:14 - Jun 21 with 1576 viewsGuthrum

Happy? No, the Scotland game was awful and we weren't able to improvise a way break through. But at least the defence is solid. I very much doubt we could beat someone like the Italians, French or Germans without significant improvement (like either Kane sorting himself out or being replaced).

However, saying we're in a awkward position facing the Czechs is vastly over-egging the pudding. It would be a very odd set of results to see us not go through to the knock-out stages. And England are not going to change manager mid-tournament.

Gareth Southgate on 10:15 - Jun 21 with 1572 viewsFtnfwest

I think after years of different coaches who by and large picked the best 11 players, but crucially not the best team and formation, he tended to do that before and during the world cup. Looks sadly very much like he's lapsing back into the former approach now though and trying to cram everyone in (except grealish) in a formation that doesn't look like working. That said, Friday was what it was always going to be, a slugfest we fell for tactically. We have always moved the ball very slowly compared to other 'top' teams and the conditions made that even more apparent. You could see the surface water spray on a lot of the passes - something else we didn't adapt to.
Gareth Southgate on 10:18 - Jun 21 with 1544 viewshype313

Gareth Southgate on 10:04 - Jun 21 by SaigonTractor

I just don't think there are many top level managers who want to manage international teams. While I don't think Southgate is a tactical genius, he does seem to understand how to handle the press and stop the players losing their heads. Which has been England's problem as long as I can remember.

The Scotland result was very disappointing, but apart from Italy there hasn't been a single team who has looked good every game they've played at this Euros. I think that's just the reality of tournament football.

I think this is the crux of the situation, top level managers see international jobs as retirement gigs so we are left with the level below, historically could you imagine a manager who had a 3 yr stint at Boro getting the national job? Look at what Sir Bob had to achieve and compare it with Southgate.

FWIW Southgate's advantage is he is an FA yes man, whilst having 2-3 world class players and an abundance of younger talent coming through, so he can be successful as a by product of the talent he has at his disposal.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Gareth Southgate on 10:26 - Jun 21 with 1502 viewsGuthrum

Gareth Southgate on 10:04 - Jun 21 by SaigonTractor

It's a part-time half-job, with no player development aspect, having to battle clubs to use their players, with a very slight chance of success (reaching perhaps the last four of a knock-out competition) only every couple of years and a very high likelihood of failure and even embarrassment (brollies, bungs).

Far better to stay in domestic league football, where finishing in the top half of the top tier and chasing a bit of silverware is usually considered good enough to keep the generous pay-packet rolling in and the fans happy.

Gareth Southgate on 10:28 - Jun 21 with 1487 viewsBluefields

Can you explain why you feel he is tactically out of his depth please?
Gareth Southgate on 10:34 - Jun 21 with 1442 viewsSaigonTractor

Gareth Southgate on 10:18 - Jun 21 by hype313

I think this is the crux of the situation, top level managers see international jobs as retirement gigs so we are left with the level below, historically could you imagine a manager who had a 3 yr stint at Boro getting the national job? Look at what Sir Bob had to achieve and compare it with Southgate.

FWIW Southgate's advantage is he is an FA yes man, whilst having 2-3 world class players and an abundance of younger talent coming through, so he can be successful as a by product of the talent he has at his disposal.

Exactly. Looking at France I wouldn't say their manager is much better than Southgate, but France have such a quality team that you and I could probably manage to take them to the semis at least.
Gareth Southgate on 10:37 - Jun 21 with 1422 viewsNazemariner

Tactically he doesn't have a Scooby Doo.

Picks players because they play for big clubs, and insists on playing a formation because it's fashionable.
Gareth Southgate on 10:41 - Jun 21 with 1406 viewsChiefXL

Gareth Southgate on 10:37 - Jun 21 by Nazemariner

Picks players because they play for big clubs, and insists on playing a formation because it's fashionable.

Mings - Villa
Pickford - Everton
Phillips - Leeds
Rice - West Ham

Stop talking out of your arse
Gareth Southgate on 10:46 - Jun 21 with 1373 viewsnoggin

One lacklustre game against a Scotland team that played very well on the day, and fans are calling for the manager's head. And we wonder why England never succeed at these tournaments. FFS.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gareth Southgate on 10:48 - Jun 21 with 1360 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Gareth Southgate on 10:37 - Jun 21 by Nazemariner

The players from big clubs bit is nonsense, I can’t remember the last England manager that picked more players from outside the big clubs

And for those he does pick, has it ever occurred to your that those players might play for big clubs for a reason?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024