Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee 10:22 - Dec 6 with 6507 viewsKeno

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/06/millwall-fans-who-booed-players-ta

I think it misses the point of what "taking the knee' is supposed to signify and unfortunately I fear it will give racists a feeling of justification

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:26 - Dec 6 with 2822 viewsjeera

"Millwall fans who booed footballers taking a knee in opposition to racism should “always be respected”, the cabinet minister George Eustice has said, arguing that Black Lives Matter should be viewed as “a political movement”."

Says George Eustice, formerly of UKIP.

Edit: typo.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:35]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:28 - Dec 6 with 2808 viewsKeno

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:26 - Dec 6 by jeera

"Millwall fans who booed footballers taking a knee in opposition to racism should “always be respected”, the cabinet minister George Eustice has said, arguing that Black Lives Matter should be viewed as “a political movement”."

George Eustice, formally of UKIP.

I didnt know that

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:30 - Dec 6 with 2817 viewsGuthrum

MP fears losing support from people who don't like the idea of Black Lives Matter.

BLM is a political movement only in the same sense as the campaigns for the abolition of slavery or votes for women. It is not akin to a political party.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:32 - Dec 6 with 2765 viewsHerbivore

The absolute state of the Tory party.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:40 - Dec 6 with 2728 viewsMattinLondon

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:32 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

The absolute state of the Tory party.

The absolute state of the idiots who voted for them, the absolute state of the people who support them, the absolute state of this county under them.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:42 - Dec 6 with 2704 viewsvapour_trail

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:30 - Dec 6 by Guthrum

MP fears losing support from people who don't like the idea of Black Lives Matter.

BLM is a political movement only in the same sense as the campaigns for the abolition of slavery or votes for women. It is not akin to a political party.

There’s a distinction to be made between the politically focussed BLM organisation, and the wider BLM movement though.

You don’t have to support defunding the police to be an ally, for example.

George Eustice is a deeply unpleasant man for my money. He is playing a political card and cosying up to the benters brigade, affording them affirmation for their casual racism.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:47 - Dec 6 with 2674 viewsBlueBadger

It's deemed a 'political statement' both here and in the states because certain political parties have spent the past few years actively courting the votes of those who'd have previously voted for UKIP and other such far-right organisations.

See also: feeding deprived children. That's also deemed 'political' because certain parties again, have built their house on abandoning basic human decency.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:07]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:48 - Dec 6 with 2660 viewsBlueBadger

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:26 - Dec 6 by jeera

Ah yes, People's Very Real Concerns.

Which are usually based on something that someone made up, that they've believed.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 2640 viewsfactual_blue

If I chose to react to him expressing his views by punching him in the face he would therefore accept that because 'If people choose to reflect their view in a particular way that should always be respected'.

That's clear then.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 2637 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. But this view from Farage even slips into the wider and supposedly sensible debate.

There’s a witch-hunt over “Marxists” when no-one credible denies the validity of the Marxist analysis that accurately predicts structural racism. Rejecting that and pretty much all serious socio-economic theory since means that people can ignore the evidence of their own eyes and talk about civil liberties and rights instead - which is at best a cosmetic solution.

This isn’t about a Marxist solution as there are other more reasonable and practical ways to address the problem. But there’s no solution at all if we don’t actually accept the problem in the first place.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 10:51]

Pronouns: He/Him

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:56 - Dec 6 with 2602 viewsMattinLondon

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:48 - Dec 6 by BlueBadger

Ah yes, People's Very Real Concerns.

Which are usually based on something that someone made up, that they've believed.

A bit off-topic, on my Facebook feed a few months ago was a post by an ex-colleague who happens to be a ‘wall supporter. Anyway he had an absolute meltdown regarding the fact that the Washington Redskins were dropping their name.

Stating ‘where would it end..will the ‘Raiders’ change their name in case it’s offensive to thieves’.

Various people responded stating that he was being offended by something which won’t happen - along with the fact that redskin is deeply offensive to Native Americans.

He, and people similar to him, get offended based on absolute nothing. They traditionally have held social power and now are losing their mind at things which challenge their [maybe] unconscious bias. Quite pathetic really
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:03 - Dec 6 with 2567 viewsBlueBadger

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:56 - Dec 6 by MattinLondon

A bit off-topic, on my Facebook feed a few months ago was a post by an ex-colleague who happens to be a ‘wall supporter. Anyway he had an absolute meltdown regarding the fact that the Washington Redskins were dropping their name.

Stating ‘where would it end..will the ‘Raiders’ change their name in case it’s offensive to thieves’.

Various people responded stating that he was being offended by something which won’t happen - along with the fact that redskin is deeply offensive to Native Americans.

He, and people similar to him, get offended based on absolute nothing. They traditionally have held social power and now are losing their mind at things which challenge their [maybe] unconscious bias. Quite pathetic really

This is the thing isn't is. Everyone wanting to see some basic civility is a snowflake, but these people will literally make sh1t up to get angry about, then get angry about it.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:09]

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:09 - Dec 6 with 2524 viewsfactual_blue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:50 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. But this view from Farage even slips into the wider and supposedly sensible debate.

There’s a witch-hunt over “Marxists” when no-one credible denies the validity of the Marxist analysis that accurately predicts structural racism. Rejecting that and pretty much all serious socio-economic theory since means that people can ignore the evidence of their own eyes and talk about civil liberties and rights instead - which is at best a cosmetic solution.

This isn’t about a Marxist solution as there are other more reasonable and practical ways to address the problem. But there’s no solution at all if we don’t actually accept the problem in the first place.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 10:51]

A knee should be taken to farage.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:09 - Dec 6 with 2523 viewsMattinLondon

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:09 - Dec 6 by factual_blue

A knee should be taken to farage.

To the balls or head?
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:22 - Dec 6 with 2483 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:28 - Dec 6 by Keno

George Eustice, formally of UKIP.

I didnt know that

I think he means "formerly" as I am unaware UKIP officially exists any more.

I am glad for this opposition to BLM because it just shows how deep-rooted racism is in this country. The racists continue to feel enabled and emboldened. It is not a hidden agenda.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:28 - Dec 6 with 2474 viewsRadlett_blue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:40 - Dec 6 by MattinLondon

The absolute state of the idiots who voted for them, the absolute state of the people who support them, the absolute state of this county under them.

So, over 42% of the UK population are idiots?
An interesting and exceptionally arrogant view.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:31 - Dec 6 with 2464 viewsHerbivore

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:28 - Dec 6 by Radlett_blue

Actually it's 42% of the electorate rather than the population. And when you consider that 52% of the electorate voted Brexit I think he has a good case.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:35 - Dec 6 with 2441 viewsjeera

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:22 - Dec 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think he means "formerly" as I am unaware UKIP officially exists any more.

I am glad for this opposition to BLM because it just shows how deep-rooted racism is in this country. The racists continue to feel enabled and emboldened. It is not a hidden agenda.

Yes, corrected.

Not had my tenth cup of tea/coffee yet.

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:35 - Dec 6 with 2447 viewsMattinLondon

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:31 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Actually it's 42% of the electorate rather than the population. And when you consider that 52% of the electorate voted Brexit I think he has a good case.

Indeed 14 million voted for Boris band of idiots out of a population of close on 70 million.

In workplaces and other large groups, you unfortunately always have village idiots, and so the 20% mark is about right.
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:38 - Dec 6 with 2432 viewsjeera

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:28 - Dec 6 by Radlett_blue

I dunno, have you met half the population?

I mean, let's be honest, if we consider a sample of a number of the people we meet in life, the assumption wouldn't feel so surprising!

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:39 - Dec 6 with 2431 viewseireblue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:09 - Dec 6 by MattinLondon

To the balls or head?

You have spelt and wrong.
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:40 - Dec 6 with 2425 viewsCoachRob

We have a problem with racism in football; plain and simple. Those trying to belittle BLM with monikers such as 'Marxist' have never read Marx or understand anything about inequality. I had the privilege of completing my FA Youth Award with Dr Colin King who contributed to this Guardian article last year - it certainly brings home the problems football faces not just from far-right groups but also wider societal views. In all of my coaching experience I have only ever had one Black coach educator and I have been coaching for twelve years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/12/racism-english-football-parks-p

*Disclaimer: Contains some strong and offensive language
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:58 - Dec 6 with 2355 viewspeterleeblue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 10:40 - Dec 6 by MattinLondon

Sadly there are a lot of "sold their soul" Labour voters up here in the North East who backed "lets get Brexit done" already realising what a momentous error they have made.

I was a Tory voter until Cameron lobbed £9k uni fees onto my uni bound kids.
I have now completely seen through what an absolute shower they are. And don't get me started on this "we will have to see what Boris says" approach from everyone regarding the next move on anything to to do with COVID. Like he is some cosy lovable Dumbledore style character. Its "johnson" said with the absolute aggression that was reserved for Thatcher as she set up the destruction of Northern communities in the late 80's.

Four more years. God help us all!
Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 12:11 - Dec 6 with 2303 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:58 - Dec 6 by peterleeblue

Sadly there are a lot of "sold their soul" Labour voters up here in the North East who backed "lets get Brexit done" already realising what a momentous error they have made.

I was a Tory voter until Cameron lobbed £9k uni fees onto my uni bound kids.
I have now completely seen through what an absolute shower they are. And don't get me started on this "we will have to see what Boris says" approach from everyone regarding the next move on anything to to do with COVID. Like he is some cosy lovable Dumbledore style character. Its "johnson" said with the absolute aggression that was reserved for Thatcher as she set up the destruction of Northern communities in the late 80's.

Four more years. God help us all!

Part of the problem I have is that they repeatedly see the problem being with each individual leader. They do not see it as an underlying root issue with the party policies. But then they see Labour as being fundamentally rooted in the policies of the 70s that saw the issues of that time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 12:22 - Dec 6 with 2254 viewsMattinLondon

Different take on Millwall fans Vs taking the knee on 11:39 - Dec 6 by eireblue

You have spelt and wrong.

Apologies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024