Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight 13:34 - Sep 25 with 3060 viewsHullblue

I haven't played FM in about 10 years so I'm not sure what's what anymore. I'll play as Town in my first game. Could people who have been playing answer the following questions please...

- Do you have to sort out your own training still? I'd like to just set and forget that, if possible.

- Any wonder signings I should be making? Bearing in mind I'll be Town.

- I'm thinking of playing a diamond to make use of our 1 billion central midfielders. If anyone's done this and it hasn't worked I'd be interested to know.

- Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:39 - Sep 25 with 2566 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Im old school champ manager. Would also be interested to know if there is an option to play a 'light' version of the game where you dont have to do all the backroom stuff.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:40 - Sep 25 with 2562 viewsMetal_Hacker

I thought exactly the same literally 10 mins ago and wondered if I could be ar5sed....think I might now

Poll: If it were one or the other

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:47 - Sep 25 with 2514 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:39 - Sep 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Im old school champ manager. Would also be interested to know if there is an option to play a 'light' version of the game where you dont have to do all the backroom stuff.

CM97/98...TWTD

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:49 - Sep 25 with 2503 viewsReusersTown

I think FM's have had this type of option for a while. I believe it is either called classic or you just set up your responsibilities so that the assistant manager does it all. Hope that helps.
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:53 - Sep 25 with 2489 viewsdavblue

mate. you missed out on a Free copy by a day on the epic store.

Don't want to rub it in but if you would have said yesterday.
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:00 - Sep 25 with 2475 viewsclive_baker

You can kind of opt in or out of as much as you want really. Press conferences and training etc, you can delegate to your staff.

I tend to do a hybrid of the 2. Invest a bit of time at the start dabbling with a system and way of playing etc but then tend to stick to it. I'm a wheeler dealer, my strength tends to be building squads of good players but my weakness is I tend to play as much from the owners perspective. I run profitable clubs, and find it hard to turn down good offers for players. I'm ME's wet dream.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:06 - Sep 25 with 2462 viewsSonOfSpock

You can organise the training yourself, or get your assistant to do it for you - there is a list of tasks you can delegate out. Think the link is 'Staff Responsibilities' or similar. You can hire/fire backroom staff if needed or leave it to the Director of Football.

If memory serves the squad will be full of loanees - you'll need a good season to start shifting the dead wood. El Miz, Dobra, and Downes should stay around for a while if you want them, whilst Dozzel is popular with larger clubs trying to buy off you (good for funds). Likewise, Lankester will do well until the big boys come in and take him off your hands.

Initially a 4-1-41 may be worth a shot as your wingers are limited when you start.

Will put my thinking cap on for signings..
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:19 - Sep 25 with 2439 viewsSamWhiteUK

I've never understood the whole "who should I buy" thing. I always think, just play the game yourself, don't copy what others have done, otherwise what's the point?

The game should really be randomising the players anyway, when it comes to kids/regens. Being able to just do what other people have done just seems silly and totally unnecessary from a game development perspective
Login to get fewer ads

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:22 - Sep 25 with 2423 viewsHullblue

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:53 - Sep 25 by davblue

mate. you missed out on a Free copy by a day on the epic store.

Don't want to rub it in but if you would have said yesterday.

Ah did I miss it? That was partly why I was going for it. Ah well - I’ve got my heart set on playing it now.

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 2414 viewsDanTheMan

You can set anything you don't want to be automated by assistant / whoever.

That said if you want that sort of experience, might as well just play CM0/102 which is freely available and there are people who are still updating it!

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13751&s=6b8150c9a675000b65e8a876cb28

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:31 - Sep 25 with 2405 viewsDanTheMan

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:19 - Sep 25 by SamWhiteUK

I've never understood the whole "who should I buy" thing. I always think, just play the game yourself, don't copy what others have done, otherwise what's the point?

The game should really be randomising the players anyway, when it comes to kids/regens. Being able to just do what other people have done just seems silly and totally unnecessary from a game development perspective

"The game should really be randomising the players anyway, when it comes to kids/regens."

For a lot of players they do have ranges of how good they can be. A lot of youth players have negative potential in the database under the hood which means which then get randomised into a proper value when the game starts.

Oh and regens are also technically gone if you're thinking of how it worked in the older Championship managers where they regenerated the same players with the different names (hence regen) whereas now it's technically "newgen" where players are randomly generated.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 14:32]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:32 - Sep 25 with 2397 viewsMetal_Hacker

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:19 - Sep 25 by SamWhiteUK

I guess the OP is apologetic now after reading your "assistive" reply

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:33 - Sep 25 with 2395 viewsBlueBoots

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 13:47 - Sep 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

CM97/98...TWTD

If you think CM97/98 is old skool...

http://torinak.com/qaop#!manager

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:37 - Sep 25 with 2386 viewsDubtractor

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:00 - Sep 25 by clive_baker

You can kind of opt in or out of as much as you want really. Press conferences and training etc, you can delegate to your staff.

I tend to do a hybrid of the 2. Invest a bit of time at the start dabbling with a system and way of playing etc but then tend to stick to it. I'm a wheeler dealer, my strength tends to be building squads of good players but my weakness is I tend to play as much from the owners perspective. I run profitable clubs, and find it hard to turn down good offers for players. I'm ME's wet dream.

This is largely what I do. Spend plenty of time tweaking tactics and wheeler dealing, but press conferences and training largely delegated.

I do keep control of all recruitment though as otherwise usually end up with some pretty crap staff. And I do put some focus on scouting too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:44 - Sep 25 with 2366 viewsHerbivore

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:29 - Sep 25 by DanTheMan

That said if you want that sort of experience, might as well just play CM0/102 which is freely available and there are people who are still updating it!

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13751&s=6b8150c9a675000b65e8a876cb28

Still never been bettered, imo. I might give FM20 a go though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:44 - Sep 25 with 2364 viewsclive_baker

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:37 - Sep 25 by Dubtractor

This is largely what I do. Spend plenty of time tweaking tactics and wheeler dealing, but press conferences and training largely delegated.

I do keep control of all recruitment though as otherwise usually end up with some pretty crap staff. And I do put some focus on scouting too.

Yeah I keep hold of recruitment too and signings for all teams, otherwise your numpty assistant will spend half your budget on some 17 year old clown from Leiston reserves.

More annoying than that actually is when you finally get an offer for that turd of a right back you've got festering in the reserves on massive wages and he rejects it on your behalf.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:05 - Sep 25 with 2336 viewsSamWhiteUK

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:32 - Sep 25 by Metal_Hacker

Not sure what you mean by this. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to weigh in
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:06 - Sep 25 with 2328 viewsMetal_Hacker

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:05 - Sep 25 by SamWhiteUK

Not sure what you mean by this. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to weigh in

Weigh in the appropriate tone

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:08 - Sep 25 with 2322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:29 - Sep 25 by DanTheMan

That would be very dangerous!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:10 - Sep 25 with 2313 viewsNazemariner

There is exactly that. It's called FM2020 Touch.
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:22 - Sep 25 with 2284 viewsHullblue

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:32 - Sep 25 by Metal_Hacker

I'm devastated that I momentarily fell below Sam's standards of FM purism.

I will, of course, be cutting off all communication with the outside world from now until Champions League domination in 2033.

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:27 - Sep 25 with 2262 viewsMetal_Hacker

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:22 - Sep 25 by Hullblue

I'm devastated that I momentarily fell below Sam's standards of FM purism.

I will, of course, be cutting off all communication with the outside world from now until Champions League domination in 2033.

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:29 - Sep 25 with 2252 viewsJakeITFC

FM Touch is just this, I have it on the ipad but can get it on the PC if you prefer it.
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:33 - Sep 25 with 2244 viewsDecageBruce

- Do you have to sort out your own training still? I'd like to just set and forget that, if possible.

You can delegate as much or a little as you like generally. What I would say though is try and find decent staff with similar tactical and technical approaches as what you are playing as it makes the training benefit higher

- Any wonder signings I should be making? Bearing in mind I'll be Town.

I haven't found any thing year (at the season/game start) but did start my save as Chelmsford and still with them so wasn't in the market for any at the start of the game

- I'm thinking of playing a diamond to make use of our 1 billion central midfielders. If anyone's done this and it hasn't worked I'd be interested to know.

I have played this system at times throughout my save dependent on what players I've had as I'm moved up the leagues. You need some variation in the midfield between defence a creativity and also, if looking for overlaps, need some real work rate and stamina in your fullbacks/wingbacks

- Anything else I should know?

You'll do well to get through pre season and a few league games in your first sitting even if you have a good few hours planned :)
Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 15:53 - Sep 25 with 2196 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Right - I'm downloading FM 2020 tonight on 14:31 - Sep 25 by DanTheMan

"The game should really be randomising the players anyway, when it comes to kids/regens."

For a lot of players they do have ranges of how good they can be. A lot of youth players have negative potential in the database under the hood which means which then get randomised into a proper value when the game starts.

Oh and regens are also technically gone if you're thinking of how it worked in the older Championship managers where they regenerated the same players with the different names (hence regen) whereas now it's technically "newgen" where players are randomly generated.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 14:32]

Cracking info in that last paragraph, I never knew there was a different term

The old 90’s CM’s that had true regens were brilliant - get a notification when loading the new season that George Weah had retired and then immediately go and buy the 16 year old Liberian Striker that had appeared for £5k. Good times

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024