Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable 08:45 - Feb 2 with 3208 viewsChrisd

This squad has found it's level. We have so many problems at the club, it's not just on the pitch, but continues to be off it as well. It feels like being involved in a vicious cycle and we still appear no nearer to seeing the light. Frankly, it's a mess. Unfortunately, you can see us drifting along in lower league abyss for quite some time as we haven't got the leadership to get us out of this huge hole.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 08:49 - Feb 2 with 3177 viewshoppy

It’s not just conceivable... it’s reality... we’ve been in it all season...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 08:55 - Feb 2 with 3156 viewsChrisd

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 08:49 - Feb 2 by hoppy

It’s not just conceivable... it’s reality... we’ve been in it all season...

and beyond this season Hoppy and beyond.

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 09:54 - Feb 2 with 3065 viewsElephantintheRoom

You can more or less work out where Town will finish right now... only 5 games left against top 8 teams..... maybe four points from them..... pretty good against middling teams - and winning virtually every game against rubbish teams. Looking at the fixture list we'd go into the play-offs with momentum.

Three draws in the play offs and we're back where everyone was so unhappy in the Championship.

In another scenario a decent team is built over the next few years in division three where we should find relegation impossible (emphasis on should)... and players are attracted by the stability provideed with a manager with a long-term contracvt, who was once good and is still good PR. MIght just be what the owner envisages... after all what is the point of getting promoted this year and losing the decent players at the end of the season?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 09:57 - Feb 2 with 3060 viewsSwansea_Blue

This squad will be really competitive in L2 though, so it won’t be that bad. 100 points, 100 goals at least.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:02 - Feb 2 with 3037 viewsr2d2

If we dont get promoted this season, then yes, we will be in lower league football for a long time. Maybe even dropping to league 2. Utterly disgraceful really and all on Evans watch.
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:08 - Feb 2 with 3020 viewsWD19

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:02 - Feb 2 by r2d2

If we dont get promoted this season, then yes, we will be in lower league football for a long time. Maybe even dropping to league 2. Utterly disgraceful really and all on Evans watch.

This is a nonsense. If Evans is willing to continue sinking annual losses on the current level there is no reason why we can’t be v.competitive at L1 level (and get out of it sooner rather than later).

What it does mean is that we will lose every decent prospect that comes through each season until such a time as we escape. It also means we will be weak as p1ss when we do finally clamber up.
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:11 - Feb 2 with 3011 viewsChrisd

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 09:54 - Feb 2 by ElephantintheRoom

You can more or less work out where Town will finish right now... only 5 games left against top 8 teams..... maybe four points from them..... pretty good against middling teams - and winning virtually every game against rubbish teams. Looking at the fixture list we'd go into the play-offs with momentum.

Three draws in the play offs and we're back where everyone was so unhappy in the Championship.

In another scenario a decent team is built over the next few years in division three where we should find relegation impossible (emphasis on should)... and players are attracted by the stability provideed with a manager with a long-term contracvt, who was once good and is still good PR. MIght just be what the owner envisages... after all what is the point of getting promoted this year and losing the decent players at the end of the season?

Seems like a vicious cycle for me, but just not convinced we'll do it properly either way, we're just run so amateurishly. I certainly understand where you're coming from in building a side over the coming seasons and that makes total sense, but we'd need to get rid of a lot of our current squad and start again in order to go forwards. Having said all that, the fact we'd still be in this league with yet more reduced income, plays right into ME's hands and gives him even greater reason to tighten the purse strings. You look at our current squad and they are so far away from being competitive in the Championship it's frightening, they have enough trouble competing against half decent sides in this league, so getting promoted would be a death sentence. It would take major surgery to make us even competitive and ME won't fancy that either.

I suppose from a supporter's point of view, it's so frustrating because ultimately it comes down to money and as ME has shown he's reluctant to part with it now where we are concerned. I'd like ME to go, it's time. I believe that would be a huge step in the right direction in the hope to get us going once again with a fresh approach. We need to lift this black cloud which hangs menacingly over the club and he's been the constant over the last 12 years which has overseen our demise. That's not a coincidence.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:37]

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:13 - Feb 2 with 2999 viewsblueconscience

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:08 - Feb 2 by WD19

This is a nonsense. If Evans is willing to continue sinking annual losses on the current level there is no reason why we can’t be v.competitive at L1 level (and get out of it sooner rather than later).

What it does mean is that we will lose every decent prospect that comes through each season until such a time as we escape. It also means we will be weak as p1ss when we do finally clamber up.

There is a reason we haven’t been competitive. We sell our best players and replace them with cheap injury prone players and rejects who are rejects for a reason.

Until he starts to invest in improving the team and not inadequately replacing sales, we are only heading in one direction and that direction is down.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:20 - Feb 2 with 2975 viewsr2d2

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:08 - Feb 2 by WD19

He doesnt invest though does he? Our best players go and we get crocked/inferior players to replace them.
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:25 - Feb 2 with 2964 viewsGeoffSentence

Yep.

It is not possible to go up if you cant beat any of your promotion rivals.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:27 - Feb 2 with 2959 viewsWD19

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:13 - Feb 2 by blueconscience

There is a reason we haven’t been competitive. We sell our best players and replace them with cheap injury prone players and rejects who are rejects for a reason.

Until he starts to invest in improving the team and not inadequately replacing sales, we are only heading in one direction and that direction is down.

The current budget is more than adequate to build a squad to be very competitive at this level. If that funding remains (and with competent management) there is no reason to think we can’t get ourselves up sooner rather than later.

You can, of course, argue that it’s tragic that is the level we are at.
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:50 - Feb 2 with 2900 viewsOxford_Blue

No it doesn’t.

We have quite a few games to play and are 4 points off top.

You’re giving up now are you?
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 11:25 - Feb 2 with 2849 viewsChrisd

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:50 - Feb 2 by Oxford_Blue

No it doesn’t.

We have quite a few games to play and are 4 points off top.

You’re giving up now are you?

Did you go yesterday? That performance would've given you enough evidence. It could be 4 points, it could be 24 we are aren't getting into that top 2 come May.

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 12:49 - Feb 2 with 2792 viewsCornishMariner

I have looked at the remaining fixtures. Based on how we have played against different levels so far, we will get 74 points - that's 5th or 6th. A few weeks back the return of Bish, Sears and Huws provided hope but that's draining away now.
I will happily re-post this if we turn it around!!

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 13:04 - Feb 2 with 2739 viewsRadlett_blue

The real problem is that if we stay down, I can't see Downes & Woolfenden being at the club for much longer & these are the players around whom we might hope to build a team that could hold its own in Div 2. I can see the argument for clearing out some of the old guard e.g. Chambers, Skuse & Judge but without Downes & Woolf I see nothing on which to build a team which can even get promoted from this league, especially with Lambert in charge.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 13:12 - Feb 2 with 2713 viewsOxford_Blue

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 11:25 - Feb 2 by Chrisd

Did you go yesterday? That performance would've given you enough evidence. It could be 4 points, it could be 24 we are aren't getting into that top 2 come May.

It was a dreadful performance but doesn’t change the fact that we are 4 points off the top. Most town fans would have taken this before the season.

Agree it’s worrying Becuase the performance was so poor (as opposed to losing but playing well) but we are in the thick of it. Now it not the time to lose heart and wallow. Nows the time to show fight and determination and resilience - on and off the pitch. It seems many on here like to wallow ans enjoy the negativity.
Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 13:28 - Feb 2 with 2693 viewsBackToRussia

We could be in for a 5 year+ stay. Basically for ITFC read the UK.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 15:42 - Feb 2 with 2605 viewsElephantintheRoom

Looks like L1 football for the conceivable on 10:25 - Feb 2 by GeoffSentence

Yep.

It is not possible to go up if you cant beat any of your promotion rivals.

It clearly IS possible to do exactly that.

Town have drawn most of their top 8 games... no reason to think they cannot get in the play-offs without beating a top 8 team... and then 3 draws in the play-offs and its promotion via two penalty shoot outs.

More likely than finishing in the top two perhaps

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024