Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beat this for lack of self-awareness 16:00 - Dec 31 with 973 viewsGeoffSentence

Just listening to someone on radio 4 talking about reading palms, explaining the relationship between the mount of venus and the mount of jupiter she actually used the term "without getting too scientific".

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:09 - Dec 31 with 931 viewsAlanRetentive

Whilst being fundamentally aware of the jocular nature of your post, I should like to point out that Mount of Venus should in fact be capitalised thus, as indeed should Mount of Jupiter, after the same pattern.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 16:10]

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:10 - Dec 31 with 920 viewsGeoffSentence

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:09 - Dec 31 by AlanRetentive

Whilst being fundamentally aware of the jocular nature of your post, I should like to point out that Mount of Venus should in fact be capitalised thus, as indeed should Mount of Jupiter, after the same pattern.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 16:10]

I'll take that Alan, particularly as it is in the spirit of your wonderful user name.

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:20 - Dec 31 with 893 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Of course, the interviewee will be well aware of the lack of science involved. The phrase is used to make those who know no better think she is being scientific.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:27 - Dec 31 with 873 viewsAlanRetentive

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:10 - Dec 31 by GeoffSentence

I'll take that Alan, particularly as it is in the spirit of your wonderful user name.

I do aim to please, although my main purposes are to educate and to regulate the usage of the Queen's English. There really is no excuse for rushing the composition of any written communication, resulting in poor spelling, grammar or punctuation, even if one happens to be blessed with, for example, a busy and fulfilling social life.

A happy New Year to you (please note; lower case 'h').

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:30 - Dec 31 with 865 viewsRonFearonsHair

Sounds like she could do with a hand.
Beat this for lack of self-awareness (n/t) on 17:34 - Dec 31 with 804 viewsWD19

[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 17:40]
Beat this for lack of self-awareness (n/t) on 17:45 - Dec 31 with 764 viewsGeoffSentence

Beat this for lack of self-awareness (n/t) on 17:34 - Dec 31 by WD19

[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 17:40]

Now I want to know what you deleted.

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 17:55 - Dec 31 with 740 viewseireblue

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:27 - Dec 31 by AlanRetentive

I do aim to please, although my main purposes are to educate and to regulate the usage of the Queen's English. There really is no excuse for rushing the composition of any written communication, resulting in poor spelling, grammar or punctuation, even if one happens to be blessed with, for example, a busy and fulfilling social life.

Hmmm, “please note” and “lower case ‘h’”, in this context seem not to be independent.

I think a comma rather than a semi-colon would be appropriate.

hNY.
Login to get fewer ads

Beat this for lack of self-awareness (n/t) on 18:43 - Dec 31 with 699 viewsNthQldITFC

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 17:55 - Dec 31 by eireblue

Hmmm, “please note” and “lower case ‘h’”, in this context seem not to be independent.

I think a comma rather than a semi-colon would be appropriate.

hNY.

[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 18:43]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 18:48 - Dec 31 with 681 viewssparks

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 16:27 - Dec 31 by AlanRetentive

Your second sentence is inordinately long. Furthermore, it contains several confused and confusing sub-clauses. Consider splitting it into at least two sentences.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Beat this for lack of self-awareness on 19:41 - Dec 31 with 646 viewsIP12

The 'palm reader' was from the Petralengo family (allegedly...Long ago all of the Daily newspapers had fortune teller columns written by people called Petralengo) and she said she'd been reading palms for over 40 years. I wonder if she saw last Sunday's result coming ??? "Cross me palm with silver dearie 'coz you've got a lucky face".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024