Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I being shafted? 15:48 - Dec 18 with 4476 viewsSarge

Need some views on salary as I can’t tell if I’m being shafted or just ungrateful.
I joined a company as a graduate in September last year on the then grad salary of £28k. This was bumped up to £31k in July this year in line with this years starting graduate salary. I’ve since been told by some that this years starting grad salary is actually £32k.

Anyway, in the 15 months I’ve been at the company, I was promoted within 9 months, have received an exceeding expectations performance rating and have been trusted with high level tasks for senior clients, usually something my director would do. Our salary is reviewed at the end of every year and mine has now been raised to £32.5k.

I live and work in the most expensive area in the country outside London and to me this feels like a bit of a p1sstake. Is it?

(For context, the company turns over $10billion a year so it’s not a small business)
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 15:48]
Am I being shafted? on 15:51 - Dec 18 with 2851 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Turnover probably isnt relevant to your level of pay.

However, the benchmarking that you have mentioned is.

Sounds like you should be due more if you are just tracking the grad salary.

Although, its not all about wage, the exposure you are getting to clients will be good for your development and will look good on your CV, so if you are not being paid market value where you are then you may be able to get it elsewhere.

Push your case for a better salary, but at your stage of career, it shouldnt be the be all and end all.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Am I being shafted? on 15:53 - Dec 18 with 2840 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

So you started just over a year ago (September 2018) as a graduate but got promoted after 9 months (May 2019). Why did you not get a pay rise on promotion?

Instead you are suggesting you got a 10% pay rise in July in line with the new starting graduate salary - which in fact isn't even that.

On the face of it, you took a job, accepted the salary and within a year you've had a 10% pay rise already, which takes many people years to achieve and you are being trusted with some high level work.

Do you want a pay rise every time you do something above and beyond exactly what's in your job role?

Sounds to me like you are being unreasonable. But if you continue to do work at a higher level that you are surely you will have every right to be promoted again at which time you will receive the salary for that position?

Presumably there is a reason why you didn't get a pay rise with your almost immediate promotion. Was that covered within the scope of the original offer? I can't see any company being receptive to being asked to up your salary significantly twice in just over a year of being there.

As the other posted said, do what you are doing and if you feel that you have completely earned it then you can always look elsewhere if your current employer doesn't recognise you at the market rate. Presumably if you felt you deserved more on promotion, you would have raised it in the last 7 months since promotion.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 15:56]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Am I being shafted? on 15:56 - Dec 18 with 2830 viewsfactual_blue

Demand 65k.

If they say no, turn up at the office the following day with an AK-47 and start shooting.

It's the American way.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Am I being shafted? on 15:57 - Dec 18 with 2806 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Am I being shafted? on 15:56 - Dec 18 by factual_blue

Demand 65k.

If they say no, turn up at the office the following day with an AK-47 and start shooting.

It's the American way.

I'm sure in your head this was funny. Not really something to joke about imo.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Am I being shafted? on 15:58 - Dec 18 with 2780 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Am I being shafted? on 15:57 - Dec 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

WOW, the police turned up quickly. ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Am I being shafted? on 16:00 - Dec 18 with 2754 viewsBlueBadger

Blimey, the Fun Police sure are stepping up operations in the run-up to Christmas.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Am I being shafted? on 16:00 - Dec 18 with 2764 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Am I being shafted? on 16:01 - Dec 18 with 2753 viewsmonytowbray

If you aren’t the boss, a shareholder or working for yourself you’re always being shafted. Capitalism is designed to shaft everyone.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

Am I being shafted? on 16:04 - Dec 18 with 2730 viewsDanTheMan

Have you brought up to your line manager that you think that the work you are doing justifies a higher wage?

Unfortunately in a lot of businesses, experience rather than ability determines salary.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Am I being shafted? on 16:05 - Dec 18 with 2704 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Am I being shafted? on 16:04 - Dec 18 by DanTheMan

Have you brought up to your line manager that you think that the work you are doing justifies a higher wage?

Unfortunately in a lot of businesses, experience rather than ability determines salary.

If you are dealing with clients, I suspect the main measurement of your value is;

- New business generated.

- Total fees generated.

Am I being shafted? on 16:07 - Dec 18 with 2704 viewsfooters

Am I being shafted? on 16:01 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

If you aren’t the boss, a shareholder or working for yourself you’re always being shafted. Capitalism is designed to shaft everyone.

Especially for sex machine private detectives.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Am I being shafted? on 16:09 - Dec 18 with 2684 viewsSarge

Am I being shafted? on 15:53 - Dec 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

So you started just over a year ago (September 2018) as a graduate but got promoted after 9 months (May 2019). Why did you not get a pay rise on promotion?

Instead you are suggesting you got a 10% pay rise in July in line with the new starting graduate salary - which in fact isn't even that.

On the face of it, you took a job, accepted the salary and within a year you've had a 10% pay rise already, which takes many people years to achieve and you are being trusted with some high level work.

Do you want a pay rise every time you do something above and beyond exactly what's in your job role?

Sounds to me like you are being unreasonable. But if you continue to do work at a higher level that you are surely you will have every right to be promoted again at which time you will receive the salary for that position?

Presumably there is a reason why you didn't get a pay rise with your almost immediate promotion. Was that covered within the scope of the original offer? I can't see any company being receptive to being asked to up your salary significantly twice in just over a year of being there.

As the other posted said, do what you are doing and if you feel that you have completely earned it then you can always look elsewhere if your current employer doesn't recognise you at the market rate. Presumably if you felt you deserved more on promotion, you would have raised it in the last 7 months since promotion.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 15:56]

This particular company only reviews salaries once a year in December and takes promotions into account then.You can also only get promoted in the promotion window which is once a year in the summer. So no matter what, you’re going to have 6 months of being at the next level but being paid for the level below you. Aside from their move in July to bring all graduates up to the same salary as the new graduates, salaries don’t get adjusted outside December. It seems a bizarre way to do things to me but this is my first corporate job so maybe it’s normal.
Am I being shafted? on 16:11 - Dec 18 with 2649 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Am I being shafted? on 16:09 - Dec 18 by Sarge

This particular company only reviews salaries once a year in December and takes promotions into account then.You can also only get promoted in the promotion window which is once a year in the summer. So no matter what, you’re going to have 6 months of being at the next level but being paid for the level below you. Aside from their move in July to bring all graduates up to the same salary as the new graduates, salaries don’t get adjusted outside December. It seems a bizarre way to do things to me but this is my first corporate job so maybe it’s normal.

You have joined a $10bn turnover company, you are going to be part of a slow moving machine.

Am I being shafted? on 16:12 - Dec 18 with 2660 viewsSarge

Am I being shafted? on 16:04 - Dec 18 by DanTheMan

I’ve been on leave since Friday and the email has just dropped in my inbox so my manager has suggested discussing it in the new year. I know it’s out of his hands, last time I spoke with him he described any likely pay rise I’d get as slightly better than a poke in the eye.
Am I being shafted? on 16:13 - Dec 18 with 2636 viewsTractorJack

What you're describing sounds familiar to somewhere I've worked before and the revenue sort of lines up.

In short, you'll never get as big of a jump as you feel like you deserve unless you switch companies. I've always just moved every couple of years to get a decent pay rise.
Am I being shafted? on 16:14 - Dec 18 with 2623 viewshomer_123

Nothing out of the ordinary here to be honest bud.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Am I being shafted? on 16:14 - Dec 18 with 2622 viewsDanTheMan

Am I being shafted? on 16:12 - Dec 18 by Sarge

I’ve been on leave since Friday and the email has just dropped in my inbox so my manager has suggested discussing it in the new year. I know it’s out of his hands, last time I spoke with him he described any likely pay rise I’d get as slightly better than a poke in the eye.

Sounds about right for a very large company.

You won't be able to change things, this will just be how things are done. The situation you've described, whilst maybe being unjust, does not sound overly harsh. You've already had an alright payrise within a short time and are being given the opportunity to work on good things. I'd say that's a bonus for what sounds like your first year.

Keep patient if you're enjoying the job and wait for openings. Obviously if come next year it's the same old stuff then maybe look for something else. Getting another offer generally gets you a nice little bonus too, but wouldn't exactly suggest that for you right now.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 16:16]

Am I being shafted? on 16:14 - Dec 18 with 2621 viewsfooters

Book a morning or afternoon of in the New Year and come into the office in a proper suit. When someone asks where you've been, tell them the dentist.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Am I being shafted? on 16:15 - Dec 18 with 2611 viewschicoazul

Your salary has gone up nearly 5k in 15 months. I don't think you're getting shafted, no. It sounds like it's going very well and that you are very competent.

EDIT; i'm going to make an assumption here. You're what 23, 24? You are on very very good money for your age group if so. I bet you earn the most of pretty much everyone else in your peer group of a similar age.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 16:17]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Am I being shafted? on 16:16 - Dec 18 with 2610 viewsSikamikanico

If you honestly would get paid more for doing the same job elsewhere make a case for a pay rise. If they say no look for another job
Am I being shafted? on 16:16 - Dec 18 with 2584 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do you work for a corporate consultancy firm? Property sector?

Am I being shafted? on 16:19 - Dec 18 with 2565 viewsDanTheMan

Am I being shafted? on 16:15 - Dec 18 by chicoazul

Your salary has gone up nearly 5k in 15 months. I don't think you're getting shafted, no. It sounds like it's going very well and that you are very competent.

EDIT; i'm going to make an assumption here. You're what 23, 24? You are on very very good money for your age group if so. I bet you earn the most of pretty much everyone else in your peer group of a similar age.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 16:17]

Depends on the area where the grad scheme is but you're probably right.

Think I got 22k out of University in the Midlands. But that went up fairly quickly.

Am I being shafted? on 16:21 - Dec 18 with 2528 viewschicoazul

Am I being shafted? on 16:19 - Dec 18 by DanTheMan

Depends on the area where the grad scheme is but you're probably right.

Think I got 22k out of University in the Midlands. But that went up fairly quickly.

28k for a Grad scheme is excellent money, even for London grads, apart from in high finance, I think Goldman and Citi pay a 50k base on their grad scheme!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Am I being shafted? on 16:21 - Dec 18 with 2530 viewsclive_baker

Am I being shafted? on 16:16 - Dec 18 by Sikamikanico

If you honestly would get paid more for doing the same job elsewhere make a case for a pay rise. If they say no look for another job

I'm sorry but that's very short sighted advice.

It's not all about money, especially at (presumably) a relatively young age given he's little more than a year onto a grad scheme. Yes pay is important but also think of the bigger picture. I knew I was underpaid for at least 5 years in my early 20's but also knew that my employer was a great CV stamp in the industry (arguably the best CV stamp in the industry), and showing progression there for a few years meant that when I did cash my chips I could do so to a much greater extent that by jumping earlier. Not to mention the exposure I got to some of the best talent in the industry, training, development, job security etc. Large firms often pay less but there a wider benefits that should be considered.

Edit: OP if you're being shafted that's definitely one for HR, not TWTD.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 16:46]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Am I being shafted? on 16:22 - Dec 18 with 2510 viewschicoazul

Am I being shafted? on 16:16 - Dec 18 by Sikamikanico

Nah. Stay put in your first job after graduating for at least 4 years. Build a network and show loyalty.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024