Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are our expectations too high? 07:58 - Nov 27 with 1244 viewsDubtractor

I've read loads of time on here that this league is terrible and with our quality of squad we should walk it.

I wonder whether our expectations need adjusting a little bit? It is undoubtedly a horrible league, but plenty of other teams have come down and struggled, some badly.

Let's not forget just how bad we were last season too, plenty on here predicted a continued struggle this season.

We're in a horrible, attritional, league and other than the Rotherham game we have stood up to teams that want a scrap. Of course we need to play more like the first half last night and not the second, and I'm as frustrated as everyone by the constant tinkering, but the fact is that so far it is working.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Are our expectations too high? on 08:06 - Nov 27 with 1197 viewsBloomBlue

Football isn't like that we were never going to walk this league. In defence of PL he said that since last season unfortunately those who know nothing about football ignore him.
The main thing is promotion and I still believe we will and go up as champions. We're going through a sticky patch every team has a sticky patch at some stage in the season, plus ref decisions are going against us but that will even itself out over the season.
Are our expectations too high? on 08:06 - Nov 27 with 1196 viewsSteve_M

I think that's a fair point. That failing of many Town fans at Championship level of assuming we'll just turn up and beat teams is still around, not last night particularly but it was the case on Saturday.

The legacy of last season is a factor, I've made the point elsewhere that home form - with a couple of exceptions - has been less than convincing for several seasons now. We as fans seemed aware of that in August but have perhaps forgotten that since.

One thing that's struck me about the last two games was that both Blackpool and Wycombe had a simple gameplan and kept to it whereas we are perhaps trying to do too much. However our squad depth (in some positions) should help us over the course of the season. It's much harder to keep that form up with a smaller squad (See us in 2014-15 for example).

With the squad we have we should be getting promoted automatically but I don't think we're so good we can walk this division like Newcastle did the Championship in 2016-17. There's a long way to go and we're well placed despite us all thinking we can improve.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Are our expectations too high? on 08:17 - Nov 27 with 1165 viewschicoazul

All fair comments Dubbers although I think we will only know if tinkering is working by Feb March time. And I am convinced that the tinkering is affecting our pattern of play, we were putting teams away easy peasy when we had an established pair in midfield and up front

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are our expectations too high? on 08:42 - Nov 27 with 1131 viewsMaySixth

Yes

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Are our expectations too high? on 09:08 - Nov 27 with 1094 viewsSwansea_Blue

Over 60 years since we were this sh*te. So no, expectations aren't too high. We should be doing much better.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are our expectations too high? on 09:22 - Nov 27 with 1060 viewsghostofescobar

Spot on. I was just coming on here to post something similar. Some of our uber critical fans need a reality check, and just think back to only a little over 6 months ago, when we were one of the worst teams across all four top divisions and definitely one of the worst teams this club has ever had, at least in modern times. We've gone from one of the poorest collection of players you could want to see to a team that is in the top two, albeit of L1. Yes, we are stuttering, yes there is an argument that rotation isn't (currently) helping, but it seems some people expect us to be turning up Barca style every game and sweeping all before us. Seriously? Get real. Just stretch your tiny minds back a few months. And we still aren't spending any transfer money. Personally, bearing in mind the shambles of a club we were last season, I thought we'd do well to keep in touch with the play-off positions this year.

GhostOfEscobar

Are our expectations too high? on 09:34 - Nov 27 with 1048 viewsGuthrum

Are our expectations too high? on 08:17 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

All fair comments Dubbers although I think we will only know if tinkering is working by Feb March time. And I am convinced that the tinkering is affecting our pattern of play, we were putting teams away easy peasy when we had an established pair in midfield and up front

Both have been disrupted by injury, illness and suspension more than managerial tinkering.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are our expectations too high? on 09:44 - Nov 27 with 1038 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure our expectations are too high as such, we ought to be expecting to go up with the squad we have and the league IS really poor. Wycombe are top and they're essentially a pub side. We're doing okay, we're second with games in hand without having really played well. I think the frustrations are:

- Constant changes of line up and system. Not an issue if it's working, but it isn't really working.

- No real style of play. We're not really a counter attacking side. We don't really press high. We don't really keep it on the deck consistently. This point is obviously related to the first one.

- We've not clicked at home yet and that's where most fans see us play. I've seen about three good halves of football all season at PR. We've only won 3 of 8 at home and that's not good enough.

I'm not seeing massively OTT criticism to be honest, most people still seem fairly upbeat. We need to improve though and this league is gash in every way, we have to make sure we don't end up stuck in it somehow.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Are our expectations too high? on 09:54 - Nov 27 with 996 viewschicoazul

Are our expectations too high? on 09:34 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

Both have been disrupted by injury, illness and suspension more than managerial tinkering.

Arguably.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are our expectations too high? on 10:05 - Nov 27 with 973 viewsGuthrum

Are our expectations too high? on 09:54 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

Arguably.

The Skuse + Downes combination has only failed to start four League games this season so far:

Accrington A - Downes injured (L)
Rotherham H - Downes on bench returning from injury, Skuse in defence (L)
Rochdale A - Downes suspended (W)
Wycombe H - Downes ill (D)

On only one of those occasions could you possibly argue it was anything other than a forced change.

Are our expectations too high? on 10:20 - Nov 27 with 950 viewsGuthrum

Are our expectations too high? on 09:54 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

Arguably.

Norwood and Jackson have failed to start together on five occasions:

Wimbledon A - Front three, Jackson off bench (W)
Gillingham H - Norwood off the bench (W)
Accrington A, Rotherham H & Blackpool A - all Norwood surgery

That's two out of five down to tinkering, both of which we won.

Are our expectations too high? on 10:28 - Nov 27 with 939 viewsClareBlue

Well to tell you the truth, I'm enjoying this season as we are actually winning games and some of the 'quality' is awe inspiring. When it comes down to it Football has no meaning in any sceme of things apart from putting you on an emotional journey for a few hours a week, so does it really matter what level this happens at. Of course we all want to be winning 4-2 in the Champions league, but we are not at that level and probably never will be untill football goes bancrupt and the real clubs can compete with the clubs funded by outside money. As that is not going to happen in my lifetime, I enjoy what ever level we play at. That's all it is - a choice of how you spend your cash to escape everyday life. This league is what it is and quite funny really. The standard of refs matches the standard of players and even the iplayer coverage is league 1 quality. 19,000 people think it is a good idea to spend their money on a Tuesday evening watchning 'skill challenged' footballers hacking lumps out of each other and obviously under instruction that a football spontaniously combust if you play it along the ground, but still they all went to one place in a one Town in England to witness this. At Fleetwood my wife asked why we do it? I think that might have to be referred to greater minds than mine, as I've absolutely no idea. All I can say is that I've been doing it for 40 years and its not going to stop now even if we were playing in non league. I think we have to accept where we are and enjoy it. There's really no point otherwise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024