Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The price of democracy 15:42 - Apr 28 with 3801 viewsWeWereZombies

Whenever anyone does not bother to cast their vote in this country you can of course remind them of other places where queuing to vote involves the chance of being beaten up or worse. But I do not think I have ever seen an election that has resulted in these type of losses and not as a result of voter intimidation either:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48083051

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

The price of democracy on 16:03 - Apr 28 with 3328 viewsbritbiker

That's just bizarre .
The price of democracy on 16:11 - Apr 28 with 3325 viewsfactual_blue

In many parts of West Suffolk, voters are denied the opportunity to vote in the upcoming council elections.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The price of democracy on 16:38 - Apr 28 with 3298 viewspickles110564

The price of democracy on 16:11 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

In many parts of West Suffolk, voters are denied the opportunity to vote in the upcoming council elections.

That is correct as there are no Brexit party candidates at the moment
The price of democracy on 16:42 - Apr 28 with 3291 viewsClapham_Junction

The price of democracy on 16:38 - Apr 28 by pickles110564

The fact that there aren't any candidates of your preferred party isn't preventing you from voting.

Either vote for the least offensive candidate, or spoil your ballot paper in a way that makes your feelings clear. Rejected votes get shown to the candidates when a decision is being made about their validity.
The price of democracy on 17:15 - Apr 28 with 3255 viewspickles110564

The price of democracy on 16:42 - Apr 28 by Clapham_Junction

The fact that there aren't any candidates of your preferred party isn't preventing you from voting.

Either vote for the least offensive candidate, or spoil your ballot paper in a way that makes your feelings clear. Rejected votes get shown to the candidates when a decision is being made about their validity.

Well i can't vote for Tories, Labour, Libs or change who else?
The price of democracy on 17:28 - Apr 28 with 3237 viewsjaykay

The price of democracy on 17:15 - Apr 28 by pickles110564

then what part of spoil your ballot paper didn't you understand ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The price of democracy on 17:39 - Apr 28 with 3228 viewsballycastle

The price of democracy on 17:28 - Apr 28 by jaykay

then what part of spoil your ballot paper didn't you understand ?

A vote for any of the three supposedly main parties mentioned, is the very definition of spoilt.
The price of democracy on 17:49 - Apr 28 with 3218 viewsBlueBadger

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of elderly racists at local Tory level.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

The price of democracy on 17:49 - Apr 28 with 3215 viewsSpruceMoose

Tragic

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The price of democracy on 18:05 - Apr 28 with 3191 viewsJ2BLUE

Whenever anyone does not bother to cast their vote in this country you can of course remind them of other places where queuing to vote involves the chance of being beaten up or worse.

Whenever I make the choice to 'not bother' voting it will be because I have decided that is the best course of action. Being reminded of other places like that as some sort of reprimand won't work. I consider spoiling the ballot paper utterly pointless and would rather just skip the entire election if I don't wish to vote for anyone.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The price of democracy on 18:20 - Apr 28 with 3170 viewsballycastle

The price of democracy on 17:49 - Apr 28 by SpruceMoose

Tragic

Tragedy is those who wish to remain in the EU voting labour, the party led by a life long leaver and his anti EU henchmen.

They will though, the indoctrinated silly folk will endorse a critical matter they are against.

Useful idiots indeed.
The price of democracy on 18:25 - Apr 28 with 3154 viewsWeWereZombies

The price of democracy on 18:05 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

Whenever anyone does not bother to cast their vote in this country you can of course remind them of other places where queuing to vote involves the chance of being beaten up or worse.

Whenever I make the choice to 'not bother' voting it will be because I have decided that is the best course of action. Being reminded of other places like that as some sort of reprimand won't work. I consider spoiling the ballot paper utterly pointless and would rather just skip the entire election if I don't wish to vote for anyone.

Well, I suppose at least you will not contribute to the deaths of people counting votes under overheated conditions in an ever warming World.

Give yourself a pat on the back...

The price of democracy on 18:35 - Apr 28 with 3133 viewsJ2BLUE

The price of democracy on 18:25 - Apr 28 by WeWereZombies

Well, I suppose at least you will not contribute to the deaths of people counting votes under overheated conditions in an ever warming World.

Give yourself a pat on the back...

No idea what you are talking about.

Truly impaired.

The price of democracy on 18:57 - Apr 28 with 3112 viewsGuthrum

Why not stand yourself? If you want to vote for them, believe in their policies and think others do too, be that person.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 18:59]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The price of democracy on 19:01 - Apr 28 with 3102 viewsSpruceMoose

The price of democracy on 18:20 - Apr 28 by ballycastle

Tragedy is those who wish to remain in the EU voting labour, the party led by a life long leaver and his anti EU henchmen.

They will though, the indoctrinated silly folk will endorse a critical matter they are against.

Useful idiots indeed.

I agree.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The price of democracy on 19:02 - Apr 28 with 3100 viewsSpruceMoose

The price of democracy on 18:57 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

Why not stand yourself? If you want to vote for them, believe in their policies and think others do too, be that person.

Be the nightmare change you want to see in the world.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 19:02]

The price of democracy on 19:59 - Apr 28 with 3047 viewsClapham_Junction

The price of democracy on 17:15 - Apr 28 by pickles110564

This is a local election and Brexit is irrelevant anyway. The Brexit Party don't have a manifesto and presumably don't have any policies relevant to what councils do.

Vote for the party that is most likely to run your council in the way you want it to be run. One of the biggest issues at council level is whether you think councils should run services directly themselves (in which case you should probably vote Labour or Green) or continue privatising and outsourcing (in which case vote for the Tories or UKIP).
The price of democracy on 20:26 - Apr 28 with 3012 viewsm14_blue

The price of democracy on 18:57 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

They don't have any policies. Literally, they haven't announced a single one.

Anyone who wants to vote for the Brexit Party in local elections either doesn't understand what the elections for or is a complete idiot.

European elections are a different matter of course.
The price of democracy on 20:32 - Apr 28 with 2999 viewsbaxterbasics

Too many idiots here don't realise what voting actually means, or what a remarkable thing it is that we have a mechanism for the peaceful, calm transfer of power from one regime to another. They are just too lazy to do proper scrutiny.

The irony is, the more people say things like 'I won't vote, they are all the same / useless / corrupt ' and so on, the worse government can get away with being. We may think that crap government leads to apathy, when actually apathy leads to crap government.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The price of democracy on 20:45 - Apr 28 with 2984 viewsJ2BLUE

The price of democracy on 20:32 - Apr 28 by baxterbasics

Too many idiots here don't realise what voting actually means, or what a remarkable thing it is that we have a mechanism for the peaceful, calm transfer of power from one regime to another. They are just too lazy to do proper scrutiny.

The irony is, the more people say things like 'I won't vote, they are all the same / useless / corrupt ' and so on, the worse government can get away with being. We may think that crap government leads to apathy, when actually apathy leads to crap government.

Are you saying the occasional abstention is wrong?

Truly impaired.

The price of democracy on 21:26 - Apr 28 with 2959 viewsWeWereZombies

The price of democracy on 18:35 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

No idea what you are talking about.

Because you have not clicked on the link in the opening post and have no idea what this thread was about?

The price of democracy on 21:30 - Apr 28 with 2949 viewsJ2BLUE

The price of democracy on 21:26 - Apr 28 by WeWereZombies

Because you have not clicked on the link in the opening post and have no idea what this thread was about?

I did click the link. I chose to respond to your sentence which sounded as if you believe it is wrong not to vote. Did I misinterpret that line?

Truly impaired.

The price of democracy on 21:34 - Apr 28 with 2944 viewsWeWereZombies

The price of democracy on 21:30 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

I did click the link. I chose to respond to your sentence which sounded as if you believe it is wrong not to vote. Did I misinterpret that line?

In other words you do not understand sarcasm, which some would see as a virtuous position.

The price of democracy on 21:36 - Apr 28 with 2940 viewsJ2BLUE

The price of democracy on 21:34 - Apr 28 by WeWereZombies

In other words you do not understand sarcasm, which some would see as a virtuous position.

Ok, whatever, i'm out.

Truly impaired.

The price of democracy on 22:15 - Apr 28 with 2902 viewsbaxterbasics

The price of democracy on 20:45 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

Are you saying the occasional abstention is wrong?

Yes, although wilful abstention is not quite as bad as total ignorance, the young'uns at my office often don't even realise an election is happening.

If you really can't find a candidate you are prepared to vote for, at least turn up and spoil the ballot. 5,000 phallus-marked ballots sends a better message than 5000 not bothering.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024