Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? 08:56 - Jan 2 with 1579 viewsbontcho

Start the League One rebuild? Get a few big earners off the books? Perhaps even a few experienced L1 type players in?

A few decisions need to be made. In a way I’d go for one extreme or the other, the likely Evans course of action (basically do little either way) is the worst course of action here.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 08:59 - Jan 2 with 1568 viewsSomethingBlue

We are, in each game, a correct decision at from players at either end away from picking up points. At this stage, despite the gap, I think we really have to get in players who can try and do that for us.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 08:59 - Jan 2 with 1565 viewsColchesterBlue1985

We have plenty of LG 1 types in already, that’s the reason we’re as good as down. If we want to bounce back which Sunderland with the biggest budget in LG 1 history aren’t finding completely straight forward then we need quality.
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:00 - Jan 2 with 1561 viewseireblue

Would the current youngsters and team members with less experience benefit from working with additional experienced players for a few months?
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:37 - Jan 2 with 1510 viewsGuthrum

Yes, it is worth getting the loans in, as we still stand a chance of escaping relegation.

60 points to play for, including some against our direct rivals (who aren't exactly winning many themselves). It's not like Town are being pummelled every game. We would have won yesterday with slightly better finishing and/or eliminating a couple of catastrophic mistakes.

We know the team is lacking in certain areas. Far better to see what we can do with some of that rectified than to give up in limp resignation barely more than half-way through the season.

People were so keen to see us break the bank in pursuit of promotion. Why not now show equal commitment to avoiding the drop at all costs?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:39 - Jan 2 with 1495 viewsPJH

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:37 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

Yes, it is worth getting the loans in, as we still stand a chance of escaping relegation.

60 points to play for, including some against our direct rivals (who aren't exactly winning many themselves). It's not like Town are being pummelled every game. We would have won yesterday with slightly better finishing and/or eliminating a couple of catastrophic mistakes.

We know the team is lacking in certain areas. Far better to see what we can do with some of that rectified than to give up in limp resignation barely more than half-way through the season.

People were so keen to see us break the bank in pursuit of promotion. Why not now show equal commitment to avoiding the drop at all costs?

Spot on, we have got to do all we possibly can to stay in this division whilst there is still a chance.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 9:40]
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:39 - Jan 2 with 1493 viewsHerbivore

This is about the tenth thread saying exactly the same thing. No, we shouldn't be using this window to bring in more League 1 players when there are still 20 games to go. Even if we're resigned to going down you don't prepare for a promotion push by writing off the season and sending a team of kids out to get bullied and beaten every week. At the very least we need to go down fighting and that means getting at least a couple of quality loanees in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:50 - Jan 2 with 1454 viewsJohnny_Boy

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:37 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

I'm with you here on this one.

It's a long shot, but still statistically possible.

I will make a suggestion, though. The back 4 are totally shot. For us to have an chance of picking up a string of wins/results, we need to recall Josh back to freshen things up - or throw-in an experienced defender immediately now January is here.
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:51 - Jan 2 with 1442 viewsSomethingBlue

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:50 - Jan 2 by Johnny_Boy

I'm with you here on this one.

It's a long shot, but still statistically possible.

I will make a suggestion, though. The back 4 are totally shot. For us to have an chance of picking up a string of wins/results, we need to recall Josh back to freshen things up - or throw-in an experienced defender immediately now January is here.

You are right in principle about the back four although getting Emmanuel back in is the opposite thing to a solution.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:52 - Jan 2 with 1433 viewsPinewoodblue

Not sure why anyone wants to write off our chances of avoiding delegation of course we should strengthen the squad and as soon as possible . The biggest problem will be attracting players to a club where too many fans are resigned to relegation.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:54 - Jan 2 with 1417 viewsTIB

I've all but accepted we're down. Had the gap been 4 or 5 points I think we could have lured a few good signings in but at 10 points I just can't see it. Forget the loanees, start building for L1.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:57 - Jan 2 with 1407 viewsJohnny_Boy

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:51 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

You are right in principle about the back four although getting Emmanuel back in is the opposite thing to a solution.

Of course, it's not a guaranteed solution - but it'll certainly be a cheaper option.

And if it inevitably all does go epically tats-up, he'll have that experience under his belt for that role in L1.
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 10:07 - Jan 2 with 1360 viewsIpswichKnight

Agree with those who are saying the back 4 needs to be looked at, not sure Emmanuel is the answer either.

We are not being tonked by anyone and as others have also said we are only a few good playmaking decisions away from winning games. We need to get those players who will make the good decisions in and we will then win games. We may be down by then but remember losing is a habit that can become an addiction quite quickly we need to be winning games even if we are relegated.
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 10:13 - Jan 2 with 1345 viewsSomethingBlue

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:57 - Jan 2 by Johnny_Boy

Of course, it's not a guaranteed solution - but it'll certainly be a cheaper option.

And if it inevitably all does go epically tats-up, he'll have that experience under his belt for that role in L1.

He's not good enough sadly. But we need at least three new starting defenders so you aren't wrong on the overall point.

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 10:23 - Jan 2 with 1298 viewsNazemariner

Have we got any big earners?

We should, and will, keep fighting until we are mathematically relegated.

If me aunt had balls and all that, but with a good striker in yesterdays team, we'd of been 3 nil up at HT.

Fine margins.
Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 11:40 - Jan 2 with 1191 viewsbontcho

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 09:39 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

This is about the tenth thread saying exactly the same thing. No, we shouldn't be using this window to bring in more League 1 players when there are still 20 games to go. Even if we're resigned to going down you don't prepare for a promotion push by writing off the season and sending a team of kids out to get bullied and beaten every week. At the very least we need to go down fighting and that means getting at least a couple of quality loanees in.

I genuinely think I'd rather go to one of the two extremes (i.e. get in 4 proven players - I dunno like Gestede, CCV, Bridcutt and a right back OR trim the wage bill and recruit) than the route I expect us to go down (3 or 4 uninspiring loan signings and keep our current squad). I can see the logic on either of the two extremes but nothing in the middle.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 11:45 - Jan 2 with 1176 viewschicoazul

Is it worth spending a load on expensive loanees now? on 10:23 - Jan 2 by Nazemariner

Have we got any big earners?

We should, and will, keep fighting until we are mathematically relegated.

If me aunt had balls and all that, but with a good striker in yesterdays team, we'd of been 3 nil up at HT.

Fine margins.

Bart is on massive money for us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024