Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens 10:02 - Oct 25 with 827 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I seriously doubt that anybody really wants it to happen. Even though part of me would see it as a chance to win something, to taste success, a platform to build on, even just tick off a lot of the grounds I have not seen Town play at. The reality is though we are no more guaranteed success than we are now. We could be a Southampton or we could be a Tranmere.

It also doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about the way the club is headed, how Evans runs the club. In reality, as mere fans, we have no right to demand success, you could argue we have no right to be angry, but understandably people will be.

But when we look at the bigger picture look at us. In the last 60 years or so, only 8 teams have avoided a spell in the third tier. Even Manchester City have. I think the list is something like us, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton or thereabouts. That is a hell of an achievement.

Manchester City, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, massive clubs have all been down there. Leicester City won the Premier League a few years after being down there.

Not only this but we've won the League, the FA Cup, a European Trophy, we have beaten Barcelona and Real Madrid and never lost at home in 31 European ties. That is outrageous. Massive cities like Newcastle have won nothing in half a century. Massive cities have had teams that have never experienced a fraction of what we have done.

We have experienced things a club our size should never realistically achieved. When we sing that we are the finest football team the world has ever seen, there was a time that we sung that and could reasonably make a claim for how that could potentially one day be the case.

If we do finally succumb to League One (and let's remember that in 17 years in this division we still have an impressive record of never even finishing in the bottom third) then it is probably long overdue in terms of footballing balance.

We have spent 5 seasons in the top division since 1986. In almost 33 years we've been a second division team for 85% of that! That is who we are. Aside from one magnificent team we were utterly spoilt with we are no different from a host of other clubs in towns our size that have never known what we have.

So I feel very lucky to be a Town fan. Today it's not much fun, this season may go down as the worst in 60 odd years and we may well end up in League One next year but I don't fear it and we certainly are not too big for it.

It will be a sad day if we do finally give in to what feels like an inevitable slide but it has as much chance as being the fresh start we may need, for Evans to move on, for the club to get back to what it was all about and to prosper, than it will to be the beginning of a new reality of being a lower league club.

What we want and what we may reasonably achieve in the current footballing landscape is totally different. I'd like to be married to Liz Hurley but I've have to make do with Liz McDonald. That for me is reality. People will be upset by this and insist the owner pumps in £50m and that we deserve to be in the top division but we don't. We have no right there. We are a lowly second division club. That's what we have been reduced to.

We are a million miles away from the Premier League and sooner or later we may have to face facts that a Championship / League One club may be our identity moving forward.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 10:05]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:07 - Oct 25 with 780 viewsMullet

This is quite a climb down for you to be fair. I notice you've gone away from the daily drumbeating, so it probably takes guts to come back now and show your face without just pretending you weren't such an advocate of PH's work here.

However, relegation is not some "due" we are now supposed to accept. The whole thing about Ipswich is that we don't go to the third tier, that's for other clubs. We have always had runs up to the top, and maybe that slop is steeper and slipperier, but that doesn't mean that we just turn our faces towards being third tier and in 20 years accept the same fate as now a league down again.

This simply isn't acceptable and Evans should be dutybound and honour bound to move heaven and earth to at least send us down fighting if that is the fate we have. To just shrug and wait for it is unforgivable.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:12 - Oct 25 with 742 viewsportmanking

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:07 - Oct 25 by Mullet

This is quite a climb down for you to be fair. I notice you've gone away from the daily drumbeating, so it probably takes guts to come back now and show your face without just pretending you weren't such an advocate of PH's work here.

However, relegation is not some "due" we are now supposed to accept. The whole thing about Ipswich is that we don't go to the third tier, that's for other clubs. We have always had runs up to the top, and maybe that slop is steeper and slipperier, but that doesn't mean that we just turn our faces towards being third tier and in 20 years accept the same fate as now a league down again.

This simply isn't acceptable and Evans should be dutybound and honour bound to move heaven and earth to at least send us down fighting if that is the fate we have. To just shrug and wait for it is unforgivable.

Amen brother.
Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:13 - Oct 25 with 736 viewsGeoffSentence

+ West Ham and Newcastle

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:13 - Oct 25 with 736 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:07 - Oct 25 by Mullet

I'm not suggesting we wait for it. I'm suggesting we fight tooth and nail to stay up.

But if we do go down I certainly feel like it has been coming. You could say the same about Burnley before they appointed Dyche or Watford or Huddersfield, so you can never say never.

Relegation would likely be disastrous but I'm not deluded either. Plenty of fans seem to feel we have a right to be in the Premier League. We don't even have a right to be in the Championship.

We are a small club, that spends nothing, with an extraordinary history. Whether we should be a small club still, whether we should spend nothing is up for debate. But if we go down we certainly aren't too big for it, something even you seem to feel 'we don't go to the third tier'.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Some perspective is required really on relegation, if it happens on 10:16 - Oct 25 with 716 viewsSteve_M

Yes, but those desperately in search of arrows always go with the prevailing mood.

If we go down then we have to deal with it as fans, players and - if he's still here - owner but there's a long way to go before that happens.

Rotherham and Bolton are as crap as we are but both had good starts to give them small cushions, Hull are rubbish and even more badly run off the pitch and Birmingham have a points deduction hanging over them. Hurst needs to be gone before the weekend but we are not relegated in October.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024