Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? 16:10 - Oct 9 with 5230 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/5a1a43b5-cbae-4a42-8271-48f53b63bd07

I guess the answer is that we should all go naked then...?

Can't wear animal hide or fur as it upsets vegans, surely all other forms of clothing uses processes potentially harmful to the environment, is fibrous and eventually ends up in landfill.

[Post edited 9 Oct 2018 16:13]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:23 - Oct 9 with 3609 viewseireblue

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/hemp-clothing/

https://bambooclothing.co.uk/why-is-bamboo-better/
Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:27 - Oct 9 with 3605 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:23 - Oct 9 by eireblue

https://medium.com/@lachlanrobertson/how-to-look-stylish-naked-a-naturists-guide

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:43 - Oct 9 with 3566 viewsGavTWTD

I'm sure what they're saying is that you should buy clothes to last, not use them twice and throw them away. Phrase I've heard a lot is "once I've worn it on instragram I can't wear it again" which is of course ridiculous.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:44 - Oct 9 with 3547 viewsjeera

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:43 - Oct 9 by GavTWTD

I'm sure what they're saying is that you should buy clothes to last, not use them twice and throw them away. Phrase I've heard a lot is "once I've worn it on instragram I can't wear it again" which is of course ridiculous.

Phil?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:48 - Oct 9 with 3545 viewsPendejo

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:23 - Oct 9 by eireblue

Still going to be chemical processes involved in production of clothing; dyes etc. and still fibrous when washing etc. etc.

I had some bamboo socks years ago they were really comfy.

And what's the real reason folks want to grow hemp eh? Not judging them, just commenting.

uberima fides

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:53 - Oct 9 with 3526 viewsPendejo

That's what charity shops are for isn't it? To allow the clothes shop dummy fashionistas to wear it once then pass it on.

I am proud to say I still have a Matinique shirt bought from Nickleby's back in '85[??], it's a bit faded and has some holes at the seams... I think I keep it just to annoy my wife.

uberima fides

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:57 - Oct 9 with 3516 viewsfactual_blue

According to QI last night, avocados aren't truly vegan, which must make life very difficult for over-entitled millennials.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:00 - Oct 9 with 3506 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:57 - Oct 9 by factual_blue

According to QI last night, avocados aren't truly vegan, which must make life very difficult for over-entitled millennials.

Shut the front door...

How are Avocados not vegan? I'm genuinely intrigued
Login to get fewer ads

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:03 - Oct 9 with 3493 viewsfooters

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 16:57 - Oct 9 by factual_blue

Can I have a deposit-sized refund for all the yummy avos I've squandered my riches on then?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:04 - Oct 9 with 3486 viewsStokieBlue

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:00 - Oct 9 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Shut the front door...

Didn't see it but apparently for this reason:

"It's the same reason as honey," said Toksvig. "They can't exist without bees, and bees are used in, let's call it an 'unnatural way'.

"Because they are so difficult to cultivate naturally, all of these crops rely on bees which are placed on the back of trucks and taken very long distances across the country.

"It's migratory beekeeping and it's unnatural use of animals and there are lots of foods that fall foul of this. Broccoli is a good example. Cherries, cucumbers, lettuce. Lots and lots of vegan things are actually not strictly vegan."

Seems a bit OTT, I think most people would classify them as vegan.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:05 - Oct 9 with 3486 viewsClapham_Junction

I don't see how asking questions about the environmental impact of this sort of stuff is "hand wringing self hating". Given the context of the IPCC report out yesterday, I'd say it's rather important that we take a long hard look at what we're doing to the planet.

Clothing has another serious environmental impact: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40498292

As a side note, the impact of things like meat, milk and almond milk has had a fair amount of coverage in the last couple of years, but one thing that I don't recall seeing much talk about is the impact of coffee and tea - millions of hectares of land cultivated for products that have virtually no calorific value.
Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:08 - Oct 9 with 3477 viewsfactual_blue

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:00 - Oct 9 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Shut the front door...

Apparently because bees are transported to pollinate them (migratory beekeeping), which transgresses the vegan law. This turns bees into slaves.

Counselling is available for affected vegans. Contact MooseMindfulness for your introductory session - £15.99+VAT.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:09 - Oct 9 with 3468 viewsfactual_blue

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:03 - Oct 9 by footers

Can I have a deposit-sized refund for all the yummy avos I've squandered my riches on then?

You will need to pursue your claim through the appropriate channels.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:12 - Oct 9 with 3465 viewsfooters

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:09 - Oct 9 by factual_blue

You will need to pursue your claim through the appropriate channels.

As it's a BBC programme I shall be writing to Points of View.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:14 - Oct 9 with 3460 viewsfactual_blue

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:12 - Oct 9 by footers

As it's a BBC programme I shall be writing to Points of View.

I hope you won't be using a goose quill pen.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:14 - Oct 9 with 3459 viewsfooters

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:14 - Oct 9 by factual_blue

I hope you won't be using a goose quill pen.

In blood.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:20 - Oct 9 with 3441 viewsRyorry

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:05 - Oct 9 by Clapham_Junction

I don't see how asking questions about the environmental impact of this sort of stuff is "hand wringing self hating". Given the context of the IPCC report out yesterday, I'd say it's rather important that we take a long hard look at what we're doing to the planet.

Clothing has another serious environmental impact: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40498292

As a side note, the impact of things like meat, milk and almond milk has had a fair amount of coverage in the last couple of years, but one thing that I don't recall seeing much talk about is the impact of coffee and tea - millions of hectares of land cultivated for products that have virtually no calorific value.

From this morning! -

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:24 - Oct 9 with 3429 viewsRyorry

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:04 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

Didn't see it but apparently for this reason:

"It's the same reason as honey," said Toksvig. "They can't exist without bees, and bees are used in, let's call it an 'unnatural way'.

"Because they are so difficult to cultivate naturally, all of these crops rely on bees which are placed on the back of trucks and taken very long distances across the country.

"It's migratory beekeeping and it's unnatural use of animals and there are lots of foods that fall foul of this. Broccoli is a good example. Cherries, cucumbers, lettuce. Lots and lots of vegan things are actually not strictly vegan."

Seems a bit OTT, I think most people would classify them as vegan.

SB

Huge numbers of food plants require pollination by bees or wasps.

And potatoes, onions and leeks scream when you pull them out of the ground

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:33 - Oct 9 with 3407 viewsJ2BLUE

Social media is cancer to society.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:35 - Oct 9 with 3410 viewschicoazul

I heard something last week about this, and a few days earlier about the possible banning of disposable nappies.

The sentiment from the Mumsnet people who rang in (was on R5) was "how dare the Govt restrict my choice even though what you are saying is proven to be correct".

It starts at home friends. With you me and all of us.

Eat a bit less meat, avoid single use plastic where you can, sit in to drink your coffee or bring your own take away mug, and try not to have takeaway food ever. It all helps.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2018 17:37]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:47 - Oct 9 with 3376 viewsRyorry

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:35 - Oct 9 by chicoazul

I heard something last week about this, and a few days earlier about the possible banning of disposable nappies.

The sentiment from the Mumsnet people who rang in (was on R5) was "how dare the Govt restrict my choice even though what you are saying is proven to be correct".

Eat a bit less meat, avoid single use plastic where you can, sit in to drink your coffee or bring your own take away mug, and try not to have takeaway food ever. It all helps.

Didn't realise you'd become a preacher.

Some of us already do all those things btw.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:48 - Oct 9 with 3372 viewsRyorry

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:33 - Oct 9 by J2BLUE

Social media is cancer to society.

Depends how you use it.

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:53 - Oct 9 with 3367 viewsLord_Lucan

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:35 - Oct 9 by chicoazul

Let's just presume that man made global warming exists............... I doubt there is much we can do to make things better whilst China and India are doing their ting.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:57 - Oct 9 with 3354 viewsJ2BLUE

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 17:48 - Oct 9 by Ryorry

Depends how you use it.

Agree but most people use it for stupid shallow reasons. Overall it's a major negative for society IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is there no end to this hand wringing self hating? on 18:01 - Oct 9 with 3347 viewsDarth_Koont

Not really. We've got used to consuming far too much.

While all evidence points to us getting ever-diminishing returns from our purchases once we get over a certain level.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024