Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? 06:27 - Aug 22 with 3158 viewsMaySixth

not convinced

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 06:52 - Aug 22 with 3115 viewssotd78

I think as a lone striker he's doing fine.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:19 - Aug 22 with 3061 viewsTractorCam

The system, I feel sorry for him. He's a brilliant player.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:35 - Aug 22 with 3017 viewsDarth_Koont

The system certainly isn't working yet. But I think that's more down to building familiarity and the confidence to push up the pitch. We look as if we're 10 yards too deep.

If our wide players push onto the fullbacks and 2 of our 3 central midfielders start pressuring their defensive line then the lone striker has the space and support he needs. At the moment, it's all a bit too easy for the opposition defences which is why we seem to run out of steam before they do.

But it's all stuff that should improve over time or PH can work on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:38 - Aug 22 with 2999 viewshomer_123

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:35 - Aug 22 by Darth_Koont

The system certainly isn't working yet. But I think that's more down to building familiarity and the confidence to push up the pitch. We look as if we're 10 yards too deep.

If our wide players push onto the fullbacks and 2 of our 3 central midfielders start pressuring their defensive line then the lone striker has the space and support he needs. At the moment, it's all a bit too easy for the opposition defences which is why we seem to run out of steam before they do.

I'd agree with that DK, my slight niggle though (and to be fair it's the same for all teams), is that we need a win to boost the confidence to play that little bit further up the pitch and pressure more.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:48 - Aug 22 with 2959 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:38 - Aug 22 by homer_123

I'd agree with that DK, my slight niggle though (and to be fair it's the same for all teams), is that we need a win to boost the confidence to play that little bit further up the pitch and pressure more.

Agreed. It's a bit chicken and egg so I'd take a fluky win on Saturday over a fantastic performance and another draw or loss.

Also, it's unfortunate for PH that he gets that test right at the very start. Not saying he's like Keane but not sure he and the team ever got over that winless run at the start of his first full season. And that was despite the fact we should have won several of those games including the very first one.

Hurst has other qualities but would be nice if he has anything like MM's ability to dig out a result when we least expect it or even deserve it.

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 08:57 - Aug 22 with 2810 viewsBrixtonBlue

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 07:19 - Aug 22 by TractorCam

Brilliant?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:04 - Aug 22 with 2781 viewshype313

He has looked a handful on occasions, to call him brilliant is a bit early for me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:07 - Aug 22 with 2766 viewsRadlett_blue

Exactly. I think this is where Hurst is coming from when he says we showed Derby too much respect. In terms of personnel, not convinced about the Skuse/Chalobah axis. Huws should start if he ever gets fit, which could make a difference.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:16 - Aug 22 with 2717 viewsclive_baker

No he isn’t. I’ve watched him for years. He works hard and he’s a handful but he’s about as far from a brilliant player as we’ve got.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:18 - Aug 22 with 2706 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:07 - Aug 22 by Radlett_blue

Exactly. I think this is where Hurst is coming from when he says we showed Derby too much respect. In terms of personnel, not convinced about the Skuse/Chalobah axis. Huws should start if he ever gets fit, which could make a difference.

Yeah, Huws at least looks natural in attack and when he needs to drop back. I just hope he can get to the fitness levels such a role demands.

But all in all I think we now have a defence that doesn't need two defensive midfielders protecting it. So perhaps time to gamble the other way and put in a more forward-thinking midfielder to kickstart the attack.

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:18 - Aug 22 with 2700 viewsitfcjoe

The lack of support is his biggest issue.

He is working hard and looks decent enough, but he needs to be better on the ball when we get it as it is infrequent. One example last night where Skuse headed it through to him and he effectively had Keogh (on a yellow) faced up one vs one and his touch was heavy and the chance is gone.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:21 - Aug 22 with 2684 viewsDanTheMan

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:18 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

The lack of support is his biggest issue.

He is working hard and looks decent enough, but he needs to be better on the ball when we get it as it is infrequent. One example last night where Skuse headed it through to him and he effectively had Keogh (on a yellow) faced up one vs one and his touch was heavy and the chance is gone.

Was really hoping we target Keogh a bit more, especially when he was on a yellow. He looked really ill at ease with the system Derby played.

Never really pushed him in the second half.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:26 - Aug 22 with 2654 viewskentishblue

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:07 - Aug 22 by Radlett_blue

Like others have said before Skuse and Chalobah with Skuse playing further forward ( but never that far forward) is not working for me. It keeps things compact when the score is goalless but when chasing a game is ineffective. Must be a stop gap til we can get Huws/Bishop/ even Dozzell in there where CS is- no point having a player in the that role with a licence to get forward and make runs into the box from time to time who has a career goal scoring record of one goal in every 50+ matches. This is our principal square peg in round hole.
Lack of altering formation when chasing game is my other mild concern. Lower league striker finding his feet in Championship replaces lower league striker finding his feet in championship in same 4-2-3-1 formation and nothing really changed.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:29]
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:29 - Aug 22 with 2636 viewsOsborneOneNil

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:18 - Aug 22 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, Huws at least looks natural in attack and when he needs to drop back. I just hope he can get to the fitness levels such a role demands.

But all in all I think we now have a defence that doesn't need two defensive midfielders protecting it. So perhaps time to gamble the other way and put in a more forward-thinking midfielder to kickstart the attack.

I’d say so. Or go with a back 3, proper wing backs, 1 holding midfielder, 2 midfield, then a front 2.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:31 - Aug 22 with 2619 viewsDanTheMan

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:29 - Aug 22 by OsborneOneNil

I’d say so. Or go with a back 3, proper wing backs, 1 holding midfielder, 2 midfield, then a front 2.

I'm not sure how comfortable Donacien is at centre-back. We'd need another two centrebacks ideally if we were going to play 3-5-2.

That said I really can't see Hurst doing it. Seems like he wants us to play this formation and make it work. Hopefully the results will start coming, just need to figure out the key to unlock defences.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:32 - Aug 22 with 2610 viewsDarth_Koont

I don't see the need to change formation just tune it to what's happening on the pitch.

And I'd much rather Hurst does that with a system he's already very familiar with.

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:33 - Aug 22 with 2597 viewsOsborneOneNil

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:32 - Aug 22 by Darth_Koont

I don't see the need to change formation just tune it to what's happening on the pitch.

And I'd much rather Hurst does that with a system he's already very familiar with.

It’s just a thought so we can get another man further forward.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:39 - Aug 22 with 2564 viewstractorshark

I don’t think the formation is too bad, although Hurst hasn’t really shown a Plan B yet.
Harrison and Jackson strike me as players for the future, maybe even a year down the line.
They look toothless and isolated at the moment.
What we need right now is a decent forward on loan, either a promising Prem youngster or someone who has performed in the top two divisions.
I know Hurst sees Jackson as a striker but I’m surprised he hasn’t tried him on the left wing yet.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 09:48 - Aug 22 with 2527 viewsDarkHorse

We don't have the wing backs for that.

PH has clearly bought in players to fit his system. The last thing we need is a change of system where we try to fit square pegs in round holes. The system just needs time to work and a bit of tinkering to get us more on the front foot.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:10 - Aug 22 with 2465 viewsclogger

Fantastic on Countryfile
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:13 - Aug 22 with 2456 viewsgosblue

Last night was about Derby’s system. They had obviously done their homework. Whenever their keeper got the ball Tomori moved over to left back and Keogh came right. There’s no way Harrison could pick up both, even if he’d been fit. Nolan tried to help out at times but looked like he was carrying a knock (right shin?). If we had played the high press, if only for ten minutes, Derby would have had to change it. Our whole team looked tired and lethargic (Tuesday night blues again). But keep the faith, there were some positives. Ward was a handful although he should be on the right. Donacien and Nsiala look classy and Downes showed quality and grit at times. We are 2 or 3 signings from being a decent side. Atm it’s a case of all the right notes, not necessarily in the right place.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:20 - Aug 22 with 2428 viewsGooders7592

Completely agree with this. Maybe a more attacking centre midfielder for Skuse would be my only change. Huws would be perfect if/when fit.
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:23 - Aug 22 with 2411 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

He doesn't look like a central striker to me - last night he was poor. Out-muscled regularly and wasted two great counter-attacking opportunities through poor first touches. Jackson was much more effective when he came on
Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:32 - Aug 22 with 2361 viewsBrixtonBlue

Ellis Harrison - is it him or the system? on 10:13 - Aug 22 by gosblue

Last night was about Derby’s system. They had obviously done their homework. Whenever their keeper got the ball Tomori moved over to left back and Keogh came right. There’s no way Harrison could pick up both, even if he’d been fit. Nolan tried to help out at times but looked like he was carrying a knock (right shin?). If we had played the high press, if only for ten minutes, Derby would have had to change it. Our whole team looked tired and lethargic (Tuesday night blues again). But keep the faith, there were some positives. Ward was a handful although he should be on the right. Donacien and Nsiala look classy and Downes showed quality and grit at times. We are 2 or 3 signings from being a decent side. Atm it’s a case of all the right notes, not necessarily in the right place.

Ward was pretty anonymous for me. I forgot he was playing first half.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024