Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation 00:27 - Jul 22 with 4288 viewsRudyard83

I've seen multiple people and bookies putting us as one of the favourites for relegation. I know the opinion will be biassed, but how realistic do you think this is?
Our signings have been from the lower leagues, and are lacking experience at this level. Also we have no central defensive players. However we have quality still, and have a new manager who has been successful everywhere he's been, and knows the lower leagues, so should have an eye for the players who can step up.
Personally, I haven't a clue about what will happen, but I'm looking forward to it.
Relegation on 00:33 - Jul 22 with 3907 viewsWacko

Of the 6 favourites for relegation in the top two leagues last year, only Burton was correct. Shrewsbury was also favourites...

Bookies aren't oracles they work on public sentiment as well as stats

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Relegation on 01:04 - Jul 22 with 3846 viewsRudyard83

Relegation on 00:33 - Jul 22 by Wacko

Of the 6 favourites for relegation in the top two leagues last year, only Burton was correct. Shrewsbury was also favourites...

Bookies aren't oracles they work on public sentiment as well as stats

Of course, and Hurst defied the odds last year too. I was just wondering the general feeling about how people think we will do this season
Relegation on 01:30 - Jul 22 with 3832 viewsjeera

We are not going to be relegated.

If there are 2 [almost] certainties this upcoming year it would be that we are not going to get promoted, nor are we gong to be relegated.

Town are going to settle into a new regime, a new way of thinking, that we have all been crying out for, and as mentioned in reasonable depth by Joe already, work has already begun.

The concept of a style of play will hopefully be implemented throughout the club from the kids through to the 1st team.

That is the most promising prospect for our club we can hope for and need to give it and the entire staff time and our full support to pull it together.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 2:06]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Relegation on 01:38 - Jul 22 with 3800 viewsBlueBadger

Relegation on 01:30 - Jul 22 by jeera

If there are 2 [almost] certainties this upcoming year it would be that we are not going to get promoted, nor are we gong to be relegated.

Town are going to settle into a new regime, a new way of thinking, that we have all been crying out for, and as mentioned in reasonable depth by Joe already, work has already begun.

The concept of a style of play will hopefully be implemented throughout the club from the kids through to the 1st team.

That is the most promising prospect for our club we can hope for and need to give it and the entire staff time and our full support to pull it together.

If anything, this season has 'transitional season'written all over it. It's not going to be an easy one, but it'll be part of a process.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Relegation on 01:42 - Jul 22 with 3801 viewsjeera

Relegation on 01:38 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

If anything, this season has 'transitional season'written all over it. It's not going to be an easy one, but it'll be part of a process.

That's what I just said in more words.

Relegation on 01:45 - Jul 22 with 3784 viewsBlueBadger

Relegation on 01:42 - Jul 22 by jeera

That's what I just said in more words.

I'm just pleased to be viewed as the articulate one in this thread.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Relegation on 01:48 - Jul 22 with 3796 viewsjeera

Relegation on 01:45 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

Hold on.

No one said that.

Relegation on 07:11 - Jul 22 with 3612 viewsBenters2

Just enjoy the new season.

I dont think anybody is thinking it will be a blast,but hopefully we can keep hold of Waghorn and everything will be happy.

Maybe mid table finish.
Login to get fewer ads

Relegation on 07:15 - Jul 22 with 3609 viewsCurrie10

While I'd imagine we certainly are NOT going to be relegated, this is the moment where I'm going to ask for a little logic and to take your Ipswich hat off.

Please name me three sides you're 100% SURE will finish below us this season, or who you think WILL get relegated.

Rotherham I would say straight off the bat are absolutely DOOMED. DOOMED I tell thee! Added a load of freebies, nothing worrying.

However, when I go past Rotherham.......... Who else in gods name really is a relegation candidate this term!?

* Bolton have added per previous article better than us I'd say.
* Wigan / Blackburn have momentum + decent squads.

I mean who is in danger? Perhaps Reading? QPR maybe?

On the basis of -

* What we've done SO FAR in the transfer window....
* With it being incredibly likely our goal machine / creator Waghorn is going....
* Little investment likely.....
* With a manager who doesn't yet have his players / another managers set of players....

I certainly wouldn't be absolutely adament at this moment in time we're not going to be.

I would say far better squads than the one we currently have, have fallen by the wayside.

Really is an incredibly important couple of weeks to try and get right.

At least we start with Blackburn H / Rotherham A which is a good chance to get some points on the board / more transfers happen after.
Relegation on 07:27 - Jul 22 with 3581 viewschristiand

Personally, think it will be a season of struggle as our players adjust to a change of philosophy and shape under PH, but it is one I'm willing to accept if ultimately there is progress in our play and entertainment on the pitch. We still look 3 quality players light in key areas and that's before anyone else leaves or gets injured. I worry about the Waghorn situation just don't think we can afford to let him leave with what he brings to the side, although £10m would help to soften the blow! The fitness of Adeyemi, Huws and Bishop is also a huge concern, thought all 3 would be ready for pre season due to the length of time they missed last season, but they all appear made of glass and unable to get back to full fitness without having some sort of relapse. In an ideal world, I was hoping all our transfer business would've been done way before now, but it could go to the last day of this transfer window!!

Nevertheless, it was encouraging seeing so many of our young players getting an opportunity yesterday at Barnet, but relying on youth in a league as unforgiving as the Championship isn't practical or ideal either. PH needs the right balance between experience and youth, time and patience to bed down his ideas and plenty of support from ME. It'll be a rocky road no doubt, but I see it more as a long term project rather than something that is going to reap an immediate return.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 8:37]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Relegation on 07:32 - Jul 22 with 3564 viewsBenters2

Relegation on 07:15 - Jul 22 by Currie10

While I'd imagine we certainly are NOT going to be relegated, this is the moment where I'm going to ask for a little logic and to take your Ipswich hat off.

Please name me three sides you're 100% SURE will finish below us this season, or who you think WILL get relegated.

Rotherham I would say straight off the bat are absolutely DOOMED. DOOMED I tell thee! Added a load of freebies, nothing worrying.

However, when I go past Rotherham.......... Who else in gods name really is a relegation candidate this term!?

On the basis of -

* With it being incredibly likely our goal machine / creator Waghorn is going....
* With a manager who doesn't yet have his players / another managers set of players....

I certainly wouldn't be absolutely adament at this moment in time we're not going to be.

I would say far better squads than the one we currently have, have fallen by the wayside.

At least we start with Blackburn H / Rotherham A which is a good chance to get some points on the board / more transfers happen after.

Oh crumbs just like last season we already know where we are going to get the points from
Relegation on 08:36 - Jul 22 with 3355 viewsmuccletonjoe

I think if you wait and see how many points we get from first 2 games , it will give a good indication of what will happen.
Relegation on 08:55 - Jul 22 with 3273 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Is the idea of transition only because we are changing things from top to bottom in terms of culture, philosophy and style of play?

Just seems to me he had an immediate impact at Shrewsbury . Many Clubs change managers for an immediate impact, we see it season in season out as a team struggles and a new manager comes in and turns things around, just wonder why is it immediate for others but we have to be patient?
Relegation on 09:06 - Jul 22 with 3212 viewsMullet

Relegation on 08:55 - Jul 22 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Is the idea of transition only because we are changing things from top to bottom in terms of culture, philosophy and style of play?

Just seems to me he had an immediate impact at Shrewsbury . Many Clubs change managers for an immediate impact, we see it season in season out as a team struggles and a new manager comes in and turns things around, just wonder why is it immediate for others but we have to be patient?

He finished 18th after joining in October with Shrewsbury. So there is an argument that similar here and a playoff run next season would be a sort of progress. However, Shrewsbury were in a far bigger mess comparable more to when Mick took over from Jewell.

There is an argument that if PH isn't more successful than Mick then what's the point? There we will see exactly what fans are made of in terms of convictions and I doubt anything will change.

Cries of "better" dressed up as purism if we finish 18th will take a big hit. Just look at how targeting "young and hungry" (eurgh) players from lower leagues is now being greeted after all.

We're taking a big risk whichever way you cut it. I look forward to us being rewarded for once.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Relegation on 09:19 - Jul 22 with 3155 viewshomer_123

All the information points to League 1.

Losing a couple of decent players, recruiting from lower leagues, lower league budget, lack of transfer activity. New untried manager at this level.

By all stats available we over performed based on squad, budget, shots on target, possession etc. and we have changed mangers from last season, hence why our chances of relegation have increased. It's not surprising to be honest...even if I don't agree or like it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Relegation on 09:20 - Jul 22 with 3150 viewsRegencyBlue

Relegation on 07:15 - Jul 22 by Currie10

On the basis of -

That pretty much sums it up at the moment.

If we manage to bring in some quality over the next couple of weeks I think mid table is achievable and will be a decent result for Hursts first season in charge as he looks to put his stamp on things.

If not, and particularly if Waghorn is sold without a suitable replacement coming in, this could all go horribly wrong.

At some point Evans unwillingness to invest meaningfully in the squad will hurt us big time, whoever the manager is.
Relegation on 09:26 - Jul 22 with 3097 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Relegation on 09:06 - Jul 22 by Mullet

He finished 18th after joining in October with Shrewsbury. So there is an argument that similar here and a playoff run next season would be a sort of progress. However, Shrewsbury were in a far bigger mess comparable more to when Mick took over from Jewell.

There is an argument that if PH isn't more successful than Mick then what's the point? There we will see exactly what fans are made of in terms of convictions and I doubt anything will change.

Cries of "better" dressed up as purism if we finish 18th will take a big hit. Just look at how targeting "young and hungry" (eurgh) players from lower leagues is now being greeted after all.

We're taking a big risk whichever way you cut it. I look forward to us being rewarded for once.

Well I’m very firmly in the excited by the changes camp, I always have unrealistic expectations before the season starts so right now it’s automatic promotion at best or play-offs at worst for me.

I refuse to let the doom and gloom merchants spoil the next 2 weeks. Also happy to plunder the lower leagues for talent together which together with a balanced mix of youth already on the books and the old heads of Chambers et al is exactly what many have been calling for.
Relegation on 09:29 - Jul 22 with 3071 viewsChocorange

He took over at Shrewsbury near the end of October, so 2 and a half months into the season. They were bottom of the league.

It surely is harder to get players to understand your system , methods, ways of playing midway through a season , and you cannot get players transferred in until Jan either.

With us, he has had time with the players, he has been able to evaluate them and still has time to get players in to resolve weaknesses he sees.

Get behind the team COYB !
Relegation on 09:38 - Jul 22 with 3027 viewschristiand

When PH took over Shrewsbury weren’t they adrift at the bottom of league 1, like Ipswich were bottom of the Championship on MM’s appointment? I’m hoping PH’s playing philosophy and team set up is adopted throughout our sides which was something certainly not adopted by MM, where the first team played a completely different brand of football.

It’s the uncertainty about PH’s credentials in the Championship which is probably most unsettling as he hasn’t managed at this level, but that’s not to say he can’t do well, he’s just untried. Just hope we support him, let him get on with the job in hand and let him build a side. The approach Burley adopted after he first took over the shambles in the mid 90s and he built a side based on good football, quality signings and a mix of talented youth from our academy and experience was fantastic. I’m hoping that ME and PH’s approach is similar. It will be exciting to watch, but I think it’s extremely naive to think we’re going to get immediate success.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Relegation on 09:46 - Jul 22 with 2983 viewsgtsb

I think this is the season we leave this league but unfortunately in the wrong direction. You can't keep running a club on a shoestring and hope for the best.
Relegation on 09:48 - Jul 22 with 2980 viewsMaySixth

I went to Barnet yesterday.

If we don't make additions before the transfer deadline I think we could be trouble particularly if we lose Waghorn.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Relegation on 09:49 - Jul 22 with 2964 viewsBlueBadger

Relegation on 01:48 - Jul 22 by jeera

Hold on.

No one said that.

I was hideously drunk last night, that was totally I was I was going to take.

Relegation on 09:50 - Jul 22 with 2948 viewsfactual_blue

Relegation on 01:45 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

'Least inarticulate' maybe.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Relegation on 09:51 - Jul 22 with 2939 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Relegation on 09:46 - Jul 22 by gtsb

I think this is the season we leave this league but unfortunately in the wrong direction. You can't keep running a club on a shoestring and hope for the best.

There are plenty of Clubs who have been succcessful (if avoiding relegation is the benchmark) on a small budget.
Relegation on 10:02 - Jul 22 with 2890 viewsfactual_blue

Relegation on 09:49 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

I was hideously drunk last night, that was totally I was I was going to take.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024