Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Older visitors to the forum 12:24 - Jun 25 with 7784 viewsFrimleyBlue

Question

What do you feel about the world compared to what it was, say 50 years ago

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

on 12:37 - Jun 25 with 5595 views_

Older visitors to the forum on 12:40 - Jun 25 with 5579 viewsLord_Lucan

I was 2 years old.

I found life less complicated.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Older visitors to the forum on 12:43 - Jun 25 with 5564 viewsFrimleyBlue

on 12:37 - Jun 25 by _

Summer of 2023 when Hurst resigns after taking Ipswich into the top 4 places in the prem and takes up the vacant liverpool job

Blanc then signs a more experienced Dozzel who'd scored 30 goals from midfield for Madrid the season before.

Waka waka eh eh

Older visitors to the forum on 12:43 - Jun 25 with 5557 viewsLeaky

Older visitors to the forum on 12:40 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

I was 2 years old.

It was round then, and its still round
Older visitors to the forum on 12:44 - Jun 25 with 5560 viewsKeno

50 years ago I was 7 and didn't have much concert of the 'the world' beyond home, the sweet shop and helping Old Uncle Sam (on who I am convinced John Thaw based Mr Tom - any of you lot from Beccles may know him) with his garden

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Older visitors to the forum on 12:45 - Jun 25 with 5559 viewsRob88

“I want to begin with an observation that, given the challenges that we face in the world and the headlines we see every day, may seem improbable, but it’s true,” Mr. Obama said in Hanover on the final day of his tour of Europe and the Middle East. “We are fortunate to be living in the most peaceful, most prosperous, most progressive era in human history.

“That may surprise young people who are watching TV or looking at your phones and it seems like only bad news comes through every day,” he said. “But consider that it’s been decades since the last war between major powers. More people live in democracies. We’re wealthier and healthier and better educated, with a global economy that has lifted up more than a billion people from extreme poverty, and created new middle classes from the Americas to Africa to Asia.

“If you had to choose a moment in time to be born, any time in human history, and you didn’t know ahead of time what nationality you were or what gender or what your economic status might be, you’d choose today – which isn’t to say that there is not still enormous suffering and enormous tragedy and so much work for us to do,” he said.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/26/obama-were-living-in-most-peace
on 12:46 - Jun 25 with 5551 views_

Older visitors to the forum on 12:43 - Jun 25 by FrimleyBlue

Summer of 2023 when Hurst resigns after taking Ipswich into the top 4 places in the prem and takes up the vacant liverpool job

Blanc then signs a more experienced Dozzel who'd scored 30 goals from midfield for Madrid the season before.

Older visitors to the forum on 12:51 - Jun 25 with 5529 viewsLord_Lucan

Older visitors to the forum on 12:43 - Jun 25 by Leaky

It was round then, and its still round

Life is round?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Older visitors to the forum on 12:56 - Jun 25 with 5524 viewsfactual_blue

It was about fifty years ago that I first discovered that the world is like a great big onion.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Older visitors to the forum on 13:10 - Jun 25 with 5463 viewsJ2BLUE

Im 30.

This is basically how I feel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

I hate much about modern life. I often wish I was born in hunter gatherer times. It’s a constant stream of people obsessing about things which don’t matter and ignoring things that do. I don’t want to be dramatic but sometimes it feels like being awake in the matrix. Maybe I’m the one with issues.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Older visitors to the forum on 13:12 - Jun 25 with 5457 viewsFrimleyBlue

Older visitors to the forum on 13:10 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Im 30.

This is basically how I feel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

I hate much about modern life. I often wish I was born in hunter gatherer times. It’s a constant stream of people obsessing about things which don’t matter and ignoring things that do. I don’t want to be dramatic but sometimes it feels like being awake in the matrix. Maybe I’m the one with issues.

The one thing I witnessed which made me sad...

2 years ago, having a nice drink in the piano bar on holiday.

Looking around. Kids everywhere in the hotel......... all sat in groups, each one on a phone or tablet.

I ban our son from taking anything electronic on holiday. I take mine for chairman bits of course, but it's off for 22 hours of the day.

Waka waka eh eh

on 13:14 - Jun 25 with 5443 views_

Older visitors to the forum on 13:12 - Jun 25 by FrimleyBlue

Looking around. Kids everywhere in the hotel......... all sat in groups, each one on a phone or tablet.

I ban our son from taking anything electronic on holiday. I take mine for chairman bits of course, but it's off for 22 hours of the day.

Older visitors to the forum on 13:16 - Jun 25 with 5434 viewsFrimleyBlue

on 13:14 - Jun 25 by _

That bloody J2Blue has a habit of doing that

Waka waka eh eh

Older visitors to the forum on 13:24 - Jun 25 with 5415 viewsJ2BLUE

Older visitors to the forum on 13:16 - Jun 25 by FrimleyBlue

That bloody J2Blue has a habit of doing that

I have to sh1t in your urinals because my penis isn’t big enough to piss through your letterbox.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Older visitors to the forum on 13:36 - Jun 25 with 5387 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

They were on their tablets etc because their parents were busy drinking in the piano bar rather than entertaining them.

Bl00dy parents.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 13:36]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Older visitors to the forum on 13:40 - Jun 25 with 5367 viewsDarth_Koont

Older visitors to the forum on 12:45 - Jun 25 by Rob88

“I want to begin with an observation that, given the challenges that we face in the world and the headlines we see every day, may seem improbable, but it’s true,” Mr. Obama said in Hanover on the final day of his tour of Europe and the Middle East. “We are fortunate to be living in the most peaceful, most prosperous, most progressive era in human history.

“That may surprise young people who are watching TV or looking at your phones and it seems like only bad news comes through every day,” he said. “But consider that it’s been decades since the last war between major powers. More people live in democracies. We’re wealthier and healthier and better educated, with a global economy that has lifted up more than a billion people from extreme poverty, and created new middle classes from the Americas to Africa to Asia.

“If you had to choose a moment in time to be born, any time in human history, and you didn’t know ahead of time what nationality you were or what gender or what your economic status might be, you’d choose today – which isn’t to say that there is not still enormous suffering and enormous tragedy and so much work for us to do,” he said.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/26/obama-were-living-in-most-peace

Indeed. This is the thing that people in the West get consistently wrong according to the surveys. The world is a far better place on most measures of life quality.

If it doesn't feel like it then that is generally more about the individual and their self-image than anything else.

Pronouns: He/Him

Older visitors to the forum on 13:44 - Jun 25 with 5350 viewsBenters2

Older visitors to the forum on 13:36 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

They were on their tablets etc because their parents were busy drinking in the piano bar rather than entertaining them.

Bl00dy parents.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 13:36]

Were their parents magicians or something? I haven’t read the whole thread sorry
Older visitors to the forum on 14:55 - Jun 25 with 5276 viewsWeWereZombies

Fifty years ago I was thirteen and my understanding of the world came mainly from the Daily Telegraph, BBC News and World In Action. It's been said earlier in the thread that we have had no wars between superpowers in this time but that depends on who you class as a super power (Saudi Arabia?) and what you define as a proxy war, also Vietnam was very grim and enduring bombing at a rate in excess of World War II levels. If you had asked the question three years ago I would have concurred with the view that the Earth is becoming more peaceful but at the moment I feel it to be on a slippery slope to war again.

For an example of why I feel like this the following report from the BBC website concerns a part of the world I happily travelled through just over ten years ago, I would not go there now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/war_in_the_desert

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Older visitors to the forum on 14:59 - Jun 25 with 5268 viewsSpruceMoose

So... your kid is the one running around screaming and annoying everyone? I'm all for quiet dead eyed children staring at tablets in public, thank you very much!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Older visitors to the forum on 15:19 - Jun 25 with 5235 viewssyntaxerror

Thanks for linking that, so true.
Older visitors to the forum on 15:28 - Jun 25 with 5217 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not sure abouf the "healthier" bit (especially in the developed world) and hell it's boring to be a kid nowadays! Who would want proper free festivals and raves !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlemorton_Common_Festival (26 years ago, )

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Older visitors to the forum on 15:52 - Jun 25 with 5189 viewsRob88

Older visitors to the forum on 15:28 - Jun 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Not sure abouf the "healthier" bit (especially in the developed world) and hell it's boring to be a kid nowadays! Who would want proper free festivals and raves !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlemorton_Common_Festival (26 years ago, )

Probably alluding to life expectancy.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 16:16]
Older visitors to the forum on 16:08 - Jun 25 with 5157 viewsArcher4721

Well we had no heating,no hot running water,no carpets no inside toilet,no TV,no car......But we were happy.

Were we fu*k!
Older visitors to the forum on 18:30 - Jun 25 with 5040 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Older visitors to the forum on 16:08 - Jun 25 by Archer4721

Well we had no heating,no hot running water,no carpets no inside toilet,no TV,no car......But we were happy.

Were we fu*k!

You were lucky,
We lived in cardboard shoe box int middle of road.....................but we were happy.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Older visitors to the forum on 18:57 - Jun 25 with 5007 viewspickles110564

Older visitors to the forum on 12:40 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

I was 2 years old.

I was four, much nicer then, not too many cars on the road, and enjoyed hitting 16 to enjoy motorbike riding.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024