Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? 13:17 - May 4 with 2496 viewsLord_Lucan

If you know what I mean.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:21 - May 4 with 2480 viewsclive_baker

Not so much that, but I don't think ME will feel any sentimental pull to recruiting GB. From ME's perspective it'll be highly calculated, advised (probably) by non ITFC people and a reasoned appointment. On that basis I would think it's an unlikely appointment. If we took any emotion out of it he wouldn't be on the list. He wouldn't get any other job at this level put it that way. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind going with heart over head on matters like this, but I don't think ME will take that approach.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:24 - May 4 with 2463 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm a bit torn on this one.

My sensible side says, leave it n the past and remember the good times.

Th nostalgic part of me says..... what the hell, lets try it.

I don't buy the whole argument of 'hes been out of the game for too long', think that's a load of rubbish. Football is a simple game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:29 - May 4 with 2436 viewsbluemonday

I know what you mean...... but ME wouldn't pull the strings Burley would have control of....
Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:33 - May 4 with 2417 viewsWD19

No, in that respect GB is perfect for ME. He can leave him to it.

Problem is that if GB doesn't get the gig he will still be sitting in the stands and potentially lobbing stones.
Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:40 - May 4 with 2384 viewsmonytowbray

I think you're giving Glassers too much credit personally.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:51 - May 4 with 2352 viewshomer_123

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:24 - May 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm a bit torn on this one.

My sensible side says, leave it n the past and remember the good times.

Th nostalgic part of me says..... what the hell, lets try it.

I don't buy the whole argument of 'hes been out of the game for too long', think that's a load of rubbish. Football is a simple game.

Football is a simple game. - Doubt many would disagree with that.

However, 'how' you play the game is ever evolving. Just take a look at Wenger and Mourinho, once trend setters with their approaches to the game.....however, Klopp, Guardiola et al are now shaping the future of how football is played and are leaving those behind.

How football is played evloves and managers get left behind, simple as that.

Couple that with Burley having been out of the game for nearly 6 years....not sure I can name many managers that have come back from that and been successful?

Don't get me wrong, from a hear perspective - great appointment. It would end in tears though and not tears of joy.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

bang on (n/t) on 13:52 - May 4 with 2340 viewsDyland

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:21 - May 4 by clive_baker

Not so much that, but I don't think ME will feel any sentimental pull to recruiting GB. From ME's perspective it'll be highly calculated, advised (probably) by non ITFC people and a reasoned appointment. On that basis I would think it's an unlikely appointment. If we took any emotion out of it he wouldn't be on the list. He wouldn't get any other job at this level put it that way. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind going with heart over head on matters like this, but I don't think ME will take that approach.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:58 - May 4 with 2326 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:51 - May 4 by homer_123

However, 'how' you play the game is ever evolving. Just take a look at Wenger and Mourinho, once trend setters with their approaches to the game.....however, Klopp, Guardiola et al are now shaping the future of how football is played and are leaving those behind.

Couple that with Burley having been out of the game for nearly 6 years....not sure I can name many managers that have come back from that and been successful?

Don't get me wrong, from a hear perspective - great appointment. It would end in tears though and not tears of joy.

I don't really think Klopp has evolved the game to any significant degree. Pressing has been around for decades.

You mention Klopp and Guardiola, fair enough. But they are working with the best players in the world. Has the game in the Championship evolved significantly? I dont think so.

Do we really think that Paul Hurst et al are far more evolved coaches than Burley? I doubt it.

Would Burley play a more evolved style of football than Mick? Well has was doing 20 years ago, so he sure can now.

I agree that its a risk, but most successful people are where they are through taking calculated risks.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:59 - May 4 with 2320 viewsDyland

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:58 - May 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't really think Klopp has evolved the game to any significant degree. Pressing has been around for decades.

You mention Klopp and Guardiola, fair enough. But they are working with the best players in the world. Has the game in the Championship evolved significantly? I dont think so.

Do we really think that Paul Hurst et al are far more evolved coaches than Burley? I doubt it.

Would Burley play a more evolved style of football than Mick? Well has was doing 20 years ago, so he sure can now.

I agree that its a risk, but most successful people are where they are through taking calculated risks.

"Would Burley play a more evolved style of football than Mick? Well has was doing 20 years ago, so he sure can now. "

I don't necessarily agree with your football is a simple game thing, but this comment is a good one

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:11 - May 4 with 2293 viewshomer_123

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:58 - May 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yes, pressing has been around for years but there are marked differences to how it is approached now as opposed to how Russia were doing it back in the 70's for example. Where they'd press for a few mins and then rest....now, for example, it's constant pressing, so it evolves - sometimes the changes are small, sometimes larger but the game doesn't stand still.

Has the game evolved at this level? Yes, most certainly has - you get (arguably) more teams happy to play on the deck now than years ago - technically better players at this level now than before and even the direct football has evolved beyond what Mick was used to.

The question (re. your Hurst point) is more, surely, as to whether the coaching methods are still effective at this level and in this day and age? Not whether he's a better coach or manager? Also, can Burley operate on a shoestring? He certainly had backing, generally, from Sheepshanks over the years were were there or thereabouts with considerable spend - he wouldn't have that kind of backing from ME.

Burleys teams would most certainly play more attractive football than Mick - in the voice of Beattie, 100% agree mate.

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:16 - May 4 with 2263 viewsBlueNomad

He might get Matty, Jim and Stewie back!
Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:20 - May 4 with 2253 viewsmonty_radio

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 13:51 - May 4 by homer_123

Well no doubt it would eventually end badly, as do nearly all appointments, but meanwhile, many on here do seem conflicted.

Having said that, interesting divide between TWTDers and Archant readers where Burley must have his Momentum skivvies at work. And I don't think it can be laid at Watson's door, but rather, perhaps, the differing reader-age profiles set against online.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:43 - May 4 with 2199 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:11 - May 4 by homer_123

Yes, pressing has been around for years but there are marked differences to how it is approached now as opposed to how Russia were doing it back in the 70's for example. Where they'd press for a few mins and then rest....now, for example, it's constant pressing, so it evolves - sometimes the changes are small, sometimes larger but the game doesn't stand still.

Has the game evolved at this level? Yes, most certainly has - you get (arguably) more teams happy to play on the deck now than years ago - technically better players at this level now than before and even the direct football has evolved beyond what Mick was used to.

The question (re. your Hurst point) is more, surely, as to whether the coaching methods are still effective at this level and in this day and age? Not whether he's a better coach or manager? Also, can Burley operate on a shoestring? He certainly had backing, generally, from Sheepshanks over the years were were there or thereabouts with considerable spend - he wouldn't have that kind of backing from ME.

Burleys teams would most certainly play more attractive football than Mick - in the voice of Beattie, 100% agree mate.

I take your point.

On the second point though, more teams playing on the deck and technically better players? Surely that is perfect for Burley? Maybe he was ahead of his time. ;-)

From my memory, I dont remember Burley having a particularly big budget first time around.... I recall Dyer was sold to fund most of the purchases for the promotion season.

If anything, Burleys worst season coincided with when he had the most funds.

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 15:10 - May 4 with 2156 viewshomer_123

Anyone else think GB is potentially a bit too powerful for ME? on 14:43 - May 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

I take your point.

On the second point though, more teams playing on the deck and technically better players? Surely that is perfect for Burley? Maybe he was ahead of his time. ;-)

From my memory, I dont remember Burley having a particularly big budget first time around.... I recall Dyer was sold to fund most of the purchases for the promotion season.

If anything, Burleys worst season coincided with when he had the most funds.

He was funded quite a bit and although Dyers money was re-invested, that hasn't happened under ME.....

....if he was ahead of his time, then I'd welcome him back with open arms!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024