Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge 10:17 - Feb 22 with 2677 viewsFinidiCentenary

For those that were mocking my suggestions that we start voicing concerns about his ownership.

In the 5 years before Evans bought the club we finished 14th, 15th, 3rd, 5th and 7th. An average of 9th (8.8)

Under Jim Magilton we recorded finishes of 8th and 9th (in the season he was sacked and Keane took over) and had just beaten Norwich for the last time since.

We have then finished 15th, 13th, 15th. McCarthy has us at 14th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 16th.

The average finish under Mick has been 10th (10.4). If you take out the first season as we were bottom when he joined as this isn't far on Mick, then our average position is 9th / 10th (9.5) - almost identical to what it was in the 5 years before Evans bought the club, but ever so slightly worse by almost a whole place.

If you take the 10 finishes under Evans then this is 11th. Two places lower than before he bought the club.

When Evans inherited the club we initially finished 8th and 9th. In the 8 years since we have only bettered than on 2 of the 8 occasions, with 5 of the 8 occasions being worse.

We have gone from £32m in debt to £96m in debt to find that in the last 5 years of Evans ownership we have gone slightly backwards and gone from a team finishing 3rd, 5th and 7th in 5 seasons to a team than can shout about 6th, 7th and 9th in 10 seasons.

We have gone from playing entertaining, attacking football, to defensive, negative dross.

Add to that we have a huge rift between the fans and the management, we continually break lowest crowd records over the course of the 21st century, loyal fans are leaving in their droves, there is complete silence from the owner, the manager tells the fans to f*** off and the owner says precisely nothing.

Can people seriously not see why I felt Evans is overdue abuse. I don't care that he's the owner or what he puts in (which is pretty much less than nearly every other owner at this level). This is his club for the time being, but it will always be ours.

It's about time people started voicing their concerns over his running of the club. Even if it doesn't do anything, at least we can say we haven't stood by and allowed the club to die. You never know. He might just realise, once we do properly vent our feelings, that he needs to change his strategy.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 10:19]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:20 - Feb 22 with 1910 viewsartsbossbeard

What's the demonstration plan then?

Note: the badly spaced Jim Out bedsheets with 6x people shuffling about in the background was laughable.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:22 - Feb 22 with 1890 viewsFinidiCentenary

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:20 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

What's the demonstration plan then?

Note: the badly spaced Jim Out bedsheets with 6x people shuffling about in the background was laughable.

Well there's barely been a single chant aimed at Evans to sort it out. Just a load telling Mick his football is sh*t.

If people haven't even reached the stage of chanting on the terraces yet, there's no chance of having anything else.

Other teams have thrown tennis balls and plastic pigs on the pitch. I'm sure we can find something suitable. Perhaps 1p and 2p pieces so the new manager has some sort of war chest.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:23 - Feb 22 with 1880 viewsartsbossbeard

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:22 - Feb 22 by FinidiCentenary

Well there's barely been a single chant aimed at Evans to sort it out. Just a load telling Mick his football is sh*t.

If people haven't even reached the stage of chanting on the terraces yet, there's no chance of having anything else.

Other teams have thrown tennis balls and plastic pigs on the pitch. I'm sure we can find something suitable. Perhaps 1p and 2p pieces so the new manager has some sort of war chest.

Mmmmm, all sound a bit sh1t, really.

I'm out.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:25 - Feb 22 with 1863 viewsReuser_is_God

Protest against Evans by just not going.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:25 - Feb 22 with 1861 viewsFinidiCentenary

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:23 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

Mmmmm, all sound a bit sh1t, really.

I'm out.

I bet Evans is probably genuinely amazed that he's managed to make literally everything about ITFC worse in his 10 years in charge and he's not only getting no grief from fans, but some even think he's amazing for saving the club.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:28 - Feb 22 with 1847 viewsFinidiCentenary

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:25 - Feb 22 by Reuser_is_God

Protest against Evans by just not going.

But that just makes the situation worse.

More money lost, less money that will go into getting out of this mess.

I think it's a valid option if nothing else works. But I'd rather pay my money to go and let him know how I feel in the hope there's change than just walk away.

If we do that we get left with 8,000 in the stadium that are happy to suffer in silence.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:31 - Feb 22 with 1839 viewsRadlett_blue

So you blame Evans for investing £64m over 10 years, as the increase in debt is debt due to MEG? Very strange.
Initially, Evans's investment was wasted by Jim (who may have eventually got it right) & far more so by Keane. Since those days, when we probably had one of the higher wage bills in the league, the sums others have spent & been prepared to lose have risen exponentially & Evans isn't prepared to lose even more.
I agree Mick is a negative manager, but he will keep us in the league, which sadly is the limit of Town's ambition right now.
If you know someone willing to pay £20m for Town & fund operating losses of £10m or so a year in order to make us competitive, please point him in the direction of Marcus Evans.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:32 - Feb 22 with 1832 viewsGuthrum

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:28 - Feb 22 by FinidiCentenary

But that just makes the situation worse.

More money lost, less money that will go into getting out of this mess.

I think it's a valid option if nothing else works. But I'd rather pay my money to go and let him know how I feel in the hope there's change than just walk away.

If we do that we get left with 8,000 in the stadium that are happy to suffer in silence.

The issue is, what is actually effective in terms of protest?

Banners and singing are water off a duck's back. There is a long history of owners ignoring that kind of thing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:37 - Feb 22 with 1803 viewsFinidiCentenary

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:31 - Feb 22 by Radlett_blue

So you blame Evans for investing £64m over 10 years, as the increase in debt is debt due to MEG? Very strange.
Initially, Evans's investment was wasted by Jim (who may have eventually got it right) & far more so by Keane. Since those days, when we probably had one of the higher wage bills in the league, the sums others have spent & been prepared to lose have risen exponentially & Evans isn't prepared to lose even more.
I agree Mick is a negative manager, but he will keep us in the league, which sadly is the limit of Town's ambition right now.
If you know someone willing to pay £20m for Town & fund operating losses of £10m or so a year in order to make us competitive, please point him in the direction of Marcus Evans.

I really am struggling to make this any clearer to people.

A LARGE amount of what Evans has had to invest is BECAUSE of his own incompetence.

Was Priskin sold for £1.7m? Norris for £2.5m? McAuley for £1.5m? Leadbitter for £2.75m? This is all on Evans. He appointed the wrong manager who bought players that had no resale value at all because they were either mismanaged by Keane or Jewell or Evans and Clegg allowed contracts to wind down.

Other clubs buy players who increase in value or who hold their value. It took Evans tens of millions before we got this right and sold the likes of Mings, Cresswell and Murphy for profit.

Evans has also had to invest extra money because of dwindling crowds. With a decent manager playing nice football we may well still have 20,000 every week, like we did to start with. This would bring in millions more meaning less for Evans to invest.

Let's be clear. He's only put £64m in because it's in his interest and he's screwed if we go down and he's lost a fortune. At the moment we are one lucky promotion away from him doubling his money.

Your attitude is entirely typical of the issue at hand. Gratitude for Evans for buying a business he thought he could make a large, quick profit on, didn't and is now stuck funding it each year to keep it afloat. But we have to be grateful as if there are no other owners in the world.

Despite small clubs like Bournemouth, Hull, Swansea and Barnsley all managing to find new owners when they were below us.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:38 - Feb 22 with 1796 viewsmarcus1642

Nice post. The best way to demonstrate is with your feet and don't go to matches. Or....

How about a mass boycott of a chosen match?
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:40 - Feb 22 with 1788 viewsartsbossbeard

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:31 - Feb 22 by Radlett_blue

There's a good point hidden in the OP. We finished 8th in his first year.

If we'd have slipped into the play offs and gone up, then Evans would have had what he was sorta/kinda after, the big Premiership bucks. Subsequently, he's chucked buckets of money at Keane to no avail and has now put an annual budget in place, that he wants to stick to.

If someone was interested, you can be assured that ME would offload.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:42 - Feb 22 with 1766 viewsnshearman1

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:38 - Feb 22 by marcus1642

Nice post. The best way to demonstrate is with your feet and don't go to matches. Or....

How about a mass boycott of a chosen match?

This is now becoming a wearying argument, but agree with this. The ONLY way to get Evans to do anything is to hit him where it hurts him - money.
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:45 - Feb 22 with 1756 viewsartsbossbeard

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:42 - Feb 22 by nshearman1

This is now becoming a wearying argument, but agree with this. The ONLY way to get Evans to do anything is to hit him where it hurts him - money.

But he's got loads and has given ITFC a budget from this.

It just means that his £6m a season gets spread thinner.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:46 - Feb 22 with 1748 viewsRadlett_blue

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:40 - Feb 22 by artsbossbeard

There's a good point hidden in the OP. We finished 8th in his first year.

If we'd have slipped into the play offs and gone up, then Evans would have had what he was sorta/kinda after, the big Premiership bucks. Subsequently, he's chucked buckets of money at Keane to no avail and has now put an annual budget in place, that he wants to stick to.

If someone was interested, you can be assured that ME would offload.

Yes - appointing Keane & also allowing him to turn the squad & the whole club inside out was a massive mistake, from which it took years to recover. On taking over & after being boss for 2 games, Keane sensibly said "given 2 or 3 more decent players, this squad should be capable of promotion" & then the buffoon did the opposite, squandering Evans's money on a series of over-priced, largely average players.
That was Evans's biggest mistake. Since Keane, he's been understandably gun shy about letting his managers spend & he also took over negotiating transfers from the totally incompetent Clegg (his 2nd biggest mistake).

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:47 - Feb 22 with 1740 viewsHerbivore

The time it takes you to write these colossal posts could have been spent actually organising some kind of protest. If you genuinely believe that protest is the way forward then take action instead of wasting time moaning on here with a series of very long posts that are all variations on the same theme. We get your point, you make it daily and at great length, so actually do something about it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:48 - Feb 22 with 1718 viewsnshearman1

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:47 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

The time it takes you to write these colossal posts could have been spent actually organising some kind of protest. If you genuinely believe that protest is the way forward then take action instead of wasting time moaning on here with a series of very long posts that are all variations on the same theme. We get your point, you make it daily and at great length, so actually do something about it.

And so does Herb.
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:50 - Feb 22 with 1715 viewsGuthrum

While I think you have a very valid point, one element you haven't factored in is the change in the English football environment in that time.

A ten-year timeframe covers the rapid and considerable inflation of parachute payments for relegation from the Prem. The introduction, failure and fatal dilution of Financial Fair Play. The EPPP Academy categorisation farce. An influx of free-spending owners (particularly from the Far East) into the second tier.

All of those have moved the ground under Evans' feet. Almost certainly shifting budgets well beyond what he originally planned to spend on ITFC (even without the funds spent without success by Magilton, Keane and Jewell).

There is absolutely a failure to recognise that the landscape has changed and either spend more accordingly or to find others who can. But Evans cannot be blamed for factors beyond his control (Ipswich Town voted against the most egregious measures listed above).

McCarthy is also part of the problem in the fact that he is both willing and able to operate at such low levels financially without getting relegated. This perpetuates the bubble of misunderstanding that this is a sustainable path to follow in the hope that some time in the next few years we may fluke promotion or the current English football financial edifice might collapse.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:51 - Feb 22 with 1696 viewsurbanblue

I think this is him trying to do something about it. It's an interesting post although I don't agree that Evans deserves 'abuse'. He's just a businessman who has ultimately made a bad investment!
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:52 - Feb 22 with 1678 viewschristiand

ME is a money man, simply don't attend matches.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:53 - Feb 22 with 1676 viewsartsbossbeard

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:50 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

While I think you have a very valid point, one element you haven't factored in is the change in the English football environment in that time.

A ten-year timeframe covers the rapid and considerable inflation of parachute payments for relegation from the Prem. The introduction, failure and fatal dilution of Financial Fair Play. The EPPP Academy categorisation farce. An influx of free-spending owners (particularly from the Far East) into the second tier.

All of those have moved the ground under Evans' feet. Almost certainly shifting budgets well beyond what he originally planned to spend on ITFC (even without the funds spent without success by Magilton, Keane and Jewell).

There is absolutely a failure to recognise that the landscape has changed and either spend more accordingly or to find others who can. But Evans cannot be blamed for factors beyond his control (Ipswich Town voted against the most egregious measures listed above).

McCarthy is also part of the problem in the fact that he is both willing and able to operate at such low levels financially without getting relegated. This perpetuates the bubble of misunderstanding that this is a sustainable path to follow in the hope that some time in the next few years we may fluke promotion or the current English football financial edifice might collapse.

Also, as an appendage to this post, McCarthy has never once moaned openly about his 'lot' as ITFC manager under ME.

Music to the ears of a.n.other owner operating or looking to operate on a similar budget next term. Mick will be fine for job offers.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 1660 viewsBlueBadger

All getting a bit 'Asa' now isn't it?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 1629 viewsnshearman1

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:50 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

Excellent post
So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 1632 viewsartsbossbeard

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:55 - Feb 22 by BlueBadger

All getting a bit 'Asa' now isn't it?

If his next post is in the form of a sonnet, then we can guess what's happened.

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 11:00 - Feb 22 with 1630 viewsGuthrum

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 10:46 - Feb 22 by Radlett_blue

Yes - appointing Keane & also allowing him to turn the squad & the whole club inside out was a massive mistake, from which it took years to recover. On taking over & after being boss for 2 games, Keane sensibly said "given 2 or 3 more decent players, this squad should be capable of promotion" & then the buffoon did the opposite, squandering Evans's money on a series of over-priced, largely average players.
That was Evans's biggest mistake. Since Keane, he's been understandably gun shy about letting his managers spend & he also took over negotiating transfers from the totally incompetent Clegg (his 2nd biggest mistake).

Arguably, the series of lower mid table finishes which ensued under Keane and then Jewell (as the latter struggled haplessly to sort out the mess) are the root of a major part of the fan dissatisfaction we see today.

People now see 6th and 7th place finishes as an upward blip, rather than 15th and 16th a temporary aberration in the opposite direction. Makes a massive difference to supporters' morale - a feeling of "here we go again", rather than "I expect we'll do much better next season".

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 11:11 - Feb 22 with 1602 viewsRadlett_blue

So just to sum up Evans 10 years in charge on 11:00 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

Arguably, the series of lower mid table finishes which ensued under Keane and then Jewell (as the latter struggled haplessly to sort out the mess) are the root of a major part of the fan dissatisfaction we see today.

People now see 6th and 7th place finishes as an upward blip, rather than 15th and 16th a temporary aberration in the opposite direction. Makes a massive difference to supporters' morale - a feeling of "here we go again", rather than "I expect we'll do much better next season".

The fact that our wage bill is around 16th highest in this league should indicate that 7th/8th is now an upward blip, unpalatable as that may seem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024