Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Go Witches 10:14 - Aug 25 with 4101 viewsHeathlander

The Witches seem to be going along really well at the moment. any TWTD'ers go and watch regularly? I'm a fan via Ipswich Star. Maybe go once a year.

How good are they this year? What are their chances/ are Sheffield just too good?
Go Witches on 10:37 - Aug 25 with 4076 viewsITFC_Forever

I generally follow from afar and go a couple of times a year, although I did go last night (for the second time this season).

They have some excellent heat-leaders in King, Schlein and the fast-improving Heeps, as well as a strong bottom-end to the team, which is usually enough to blow most teams away.

Can't comment on how strong Sheffield are, but speedway is one of those daft sports Sky have ruined by introducing a Play-off to the end of season for the top teams to determine who the champions are, rather than simply the team that finishes at the top of the league. (see also Rugby League)

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Go Witches on 10:40 - Aug 25 with 4065 viewsallezlesbleus

I used to enjoy Thursday evenings up at Foxhall.
Go Witches on 10:57 - Aug 25 with 4049 viewsITFC_Forever

Go Witches on 10:40 - Aug 25 by allezlesbleus

I think it's a source of great frustration to the Witches that there is so many people in the town who used to go to speedway, but now only go a couple of times a year.

There is a massive latent support for the team, but actually getting those people through the turnstiles on a Thursday night more than a couple of times a year is difficult.

Go Witches on 10:59 - Aug 25 with 4032 viewstcblue

60mph, no brakes. So why is it boring?
Go Witches on 11:04 - Aug 25 with 4026 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Go Witches on 10:57 - Aug 25 by ITFC_Forever

I think it's a source of great frustration to the Witches that there is so many people in the town who used to go to speedway, but now only go a couple of times a year.

There is a massive latent support for the team, but actually getting those people through the turnstiles on a Thursday night more than a couple of times a year is difficult.

Price for mediocre speedway certainly has a mas massive bearing on the attendances.
If the whispers are true and Guy Nicholls buys out Messrs Louis I can only envisage a massive shake up in the winter with the Witches back in the top division.

Perhaps there'll be a double promotion to the top divisions next Spring

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

Go Witches on 11:11 - Aug 25 with 4015 viewsBLUEBEAT

I went to Mildenhall last week and they had a rider who also rides for Witches.

Poll: W or W

Go Witches on 11:36 - Aug 25 with 3980 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Go Witches on 11:11 - Aug 25 by BLUEBEAT

I went to Mildenhall last week and they had a rider who also rides for Witches.

Was it a good attendance? Used to go many moons ago when i lived in West Row

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

Go Witches on 12:32 - Aug 25 with 3892 viewsjontysnut

Go Witches on 10:40 - Aug 25 by allezlesbleus

loved it as a kid. 2 buses and a long walk with a clip board. Glory days of Tiger Louis, Billy Sanders etc. Second bend/back straight. Always seemed to be loads there but it's over 40 years ago now - I can still feel the shale
Login to get fewer ads

Go Witches on 15:01 - Aug 25 with 3821 viewsMerthyrblue

Go Witches on 12:32 - Aug 25 by jontysnut

loved it as a kid. 2 buses and a long walk with a clip board. Glory days of Tiger Louis, Billy Sanders etc. Second bend/back straight. Always seemed to be loads there but it's over 40 years ago now - I can still feel the shale

Me too. Loved Olle Nygren. Remember 15,000 there on a Good Friday v Hackney
Go Witches on 15:21 - Aug 25 with 3801 viewskozmik

dont forget Ted Spittles!

Supporter since 1965

Go Witches on 16:08 - Aug 25 with 3768 viewsjontysnut

Go Witches on 15:21 - Aug 25 by kozmik

dont forget Ted Spittles!

someone once said that an intellectual is someone who listens to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger. Well, it's tapes up for me.
Go Witches on 16:35 - Aug 25 with 3753 viewsallezlesbleus

Go Witches on 10:57 - Aug 25 by ITFC_Forever

I haven't been for years.......only a couple of times since moving to France in 2004. Rarely get back to Ipswich now and never during the speedway season unfortunately.
Go Witches on 16:53 - Aug 25 with 3733 viewsPJH

Yes, I went then although I was not a kid(early 20's) and we were just about on the first bend at the back.
It also coincided with the mid period of SBR's years and I remember the speedway team riding around the pitch at Portman Road, probably after one of The Witches League winning seasons.
Go Witches on 17:24 - Aug 25 with 3713 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I went to Lakeside once about 3 years ago but I thought it was a bit boring on the whole

Used to love it on the tele as a kid though

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Go Witches on 18:01 - Aug 25 with 3683 viewsFreddies_Ears

It is a really good evening out. With bar and reasonable food. And guaranteed great racing.
Go Witches on 18:53 - Aug 25 with 3657 viewsbobwya

I go back further than that - to the 50s - the days of Tich Read and Junior Bainbridge. My dad and I used to walk across the heath with a couple of torches. Used to love it as a kid. Still enjoy it and always go to the grand Prix in Cardiff. Will certainly be watching the Polish grand Prix on BT tomorrow.
Go Witches on 19:27 - Aug 25 with 3642 viewsITFC_Forever

Go Witches on 18:53 - Aug 25 by bobwya

I go back further than that - to the 50s - the days of Tich Read and Junior Bainbridge. My dad and I used to walk across the heath with a couple of torches. Used to love it as a kid. Still enjoy it and always go to the grand Prix in Cardiff. Will certainly be watching the Polish grand Prix on BT tomorrow.

Keep meaning to go to a GP in Cardiff, but never made it yet.

Go Witches on 19:45 - Aug 25 with 3628 viewsBLUEBEAT

Go Witches on 11:36 - Aug 25 by I_LOVE_GOLLOB

Was it a good attendance? Used to go many moons ago when i lived in West Row

A couple of hundred I'd say.

Lots of random Fen types!

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024