Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. 11:24 - Feb 26 with 5607 viewshomer_123

But I've been wondering if I would enjoy watching us as much in the Prem. Yes, we'll get to watch some world class players at PR again but I have this nagging, niggly feeling that it won't be anywhere near as much fun as watching us over the last couple of years under KM.

The heart and soul of the Club was slowly and surely extracted from the Club under Evans stewardship. The link to the fans became tenuous at best. The community and family that the Club once was, lost as Evans had little to no interest after a few years of ownership.

Lack of investment off the pitch contributing as much as the lack of investment in the playing side of things.

Yes, we are now owned by an American pension fund but since Ashton et al came in the Club has rapidly and effectively built back up those links to it's fanbase, to the people that have long supported and followed the Club. Add to this the work KM and the team have done on the pitch is nothing short of miraculous.

And here's the thing - my nagging feeling is the squad will change significantly when we go up - these players have delivered so much and watching them, week in and week out, improve both individually and collectively is quite a sight but I don't think this team can really compete at that top level without major changes. It's not a slight on them or me being negative, it is just what it is.

I have enjoyed, so much, watching this group of players play beyond what, I am sure, even they believed they were capable of doing. KM and team have not just developed their footballing and decision making abilities but instilled an ethic, an approach if you will, to football that is something to admire.

I fear it won't be the same as the core won't stay the same when we go up. I rather lament that thought.

I've been lucky enough to watch us under Robson, Lyall, Burley and Royle as well as others. Given where we were not just on the pitch but what had happened to us off it. This group of players and what they have done with the help of Ashton, KM and the team deserves to go down in ITFC lore.

We are simply a joy to watch as we go about our business. That trepidation, excitement and nervous energy you feel on the way to ground, for me at least, is well and truly back.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure in the Prem it will be similar but I don't think it will be the same and right now, I don't want that feeling to change.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 11:33 - Feb 26 with 3778 viewsKeno

Thats a good post, points are well made and certainly shared by me!!

If can repeat the first promotion under Burley that would be something very special

if can avoid the mistakes of the second that would be even better

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 11:34 - Feb 26 with 3768 viewsBasuco

It will be the same as in 2000/2001 season, we were equally concerned then but Burleys boys were amazing, under the management team of George and Dale. Town were the only team to win at Anfield that season as well. TWTD.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 11:41 - Feb 26 with 3706 viewsSitfcB

These players deserve a crack at it if we go up, with obviously some strengthening, Sheffield United kept the core squad for a season and did ok when they first went up, Luton are doing a lot better than expected this season with mostly their group of players from last season and before.

I hope the club as a whole stays connected with the fans as much as possible as I know there’s a few Premier League rules that change a few things I think!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 11:43 - Feb 26 with 3697 viewsParsley

Got to get there first, of course.

My view on it though is just enjoy the ride. I thought that when we got promoted to the Championship there'd be first team players that would be replaced but we're sitting in 3rd with the majority of the first XI the same as those that got us promoted. Premier League is a different beast but I'm not putting any limits on this team any more. Think they could surprise a few people.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 11:47 - Feb 26 with 3656 viewsTractorCam

Yes it almost certainly won't be as fun as we will be losing more frequently. But they will all move on at some point, so be good to see most of them get a crack at the Prem and see how we do. If we don't go up this season we immediately come in danger of losing McKenna and some key players anyway.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:00 - Feb 26 with 3578 views_clive_baker_

There's definitely some merit in this. It's a bit catch-22 innit, the enjoyment of watching us now would be amplified by seeing this group of players, management and fans achieve promotion to the top tier, but there's definitely a huge element of the journey being the fun bit rather than the destination and all the nonsense that comes with it.

Mentioned before on here a good mate of mine who is a city fan. Might be some romance in it but he preferred the days of getting through the leagues, playoff finals, Shaun Goater era etc, ability to get a ticket and not need a bank loan, overprices shirts, mercenary players earning 3 x an average annual salary and not even getting on their bench. Tourist day trippers and soulless stadia. I don't think much of that will be our reality, and for every City there's a Brighton or Brentford, but there's a bit of BCWYWF.

Think that's why we just need to enjoy it all, drink it all in. So much pride in what we're doing now, everyone seems so into the project and all the other stuff within the community is so refreshing to see. Its so enjoyable to be a Town fan and going along to PR at the moment, just got to enjoy it all innit and not worry about what tomorrow might or might not bring.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:30 - Feb 26 with 3442 viewsgiant_stow

Not like I'm some football supporting expert, but don't there's any doubt that getting there is more fun than being there. Even if your team does relatively well, there's still going to be lots of home losses.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:32 - Feb 26 with 3426 views_clive_baker_

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:30 - Feb 26 by giant_stow

Not like I'm some football supporting expert, but don't there's any doubt that getting there is more fun than being there. Even if your team does relatively well, there's still going to be lots of home losses.

I can understand why that would be your experience of the premier league to be fair.

We're not all like that though.
Login to get fewer ads

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:35 - Feb 26 with 3385 viewsTractorCam

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:00 - Feb 26 by _clive_baker_

There's definitely some merit in this. It's a bit catch-22 innit, the enjoyment of watching us now would be amplified by seeing this group of players, management and fans achieve promotion to the top tier, but there's definitely a huge element of the journey being the fun bit rather than the destination and all the nonsense that comes with it.

Mentioned before on here a good mate of mine who is a city fan. Might be some romance in it but he preferred the days of getting through the leagues, playoff finals, Shaun Goater era etc, ability to get a ticket and not need a bank loan, overprices shirts, mercenary players earning 3 x an average annual salary and not even getting on their bench. Tourist day trippers and soulless stadia. I don't think much of that will be our reality, and for every City there's a Brighton or Brentford, but there's a bit of BCWYWF.

Think that's why we just need to enjoy it all, drink it all in. So much pride in what we're doing now, everyone seems so into the project and all the other stuff within the community is so refreshing to see. Its so enjoyable to be a Town fan and going along to PR at the moment, just got to enjoy it all innit and not worry about what tomorrow might or might not bring.

Probably the most boring team to support right now is Crystal Palace. 11 years of 40 point mid table seasons with only one cup run in that. I'd rather be in League One than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crystal_Palace_F.C._seasons#Seasons

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:44 - Feb 26 with 3313 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

You make so many valid points. I mean ask Burnley fans if hey enjoyed the champ or the prem more.

But I think such a large portion of our fanbase has never seen the prem, it would be great to see it. Also we are clearly a well run club and there is always a chance you could become like a Brighton and sneak in to the conference league, which looks great fun. So its a bit of a mix.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:45 - Feb 26 with 3300 viewsgiant_stow

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:32 - Feb 26 by _clive_baker_

I can understand why that would be your experience of the premier league to be fair.

We're not all like that though.

brute

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:52 - Feb 26 with 3233 viewsIllinoisblue

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:35 - Feb 26 by TractorCam

Probably the most boring team to support right now is Crystal Palace. 11 years of 40 point mid table seasons with only one cup run in that. I'd rather be in League One than that.

For fans yes, very dull. Our owners would love a decade of prem TV money.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:56 - Feb 26 with 3197 viewsCheltenham_Blue

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:35 - Feb 26 by TractorCam

Anyone who says, "I'd rather be in League One", is making stuff up.

It was a horrible place to be, and I for one, never want to be there again, with its sh1t officials, sh1t pitches and Andy Holt.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:00 - Feb 26 with 3185 viewswischip

I'll only start to worry about it when we are definitely going up. If memory serves we weren't given a chance last time we went up.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:03 - Feb 26 with 3154 viewsVic

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:52 - Feb 26 by Illinoisblue

For fans yes, very dull. Our owners would love a decade of prem TV money.

But to get that decade they would have to invest heavily - in which case their profit would be relatively small, wouldn't it? Not many teams in the prem seem to make much, if any money.

So I suspect the majority of the profit they hope to make from their investment will come simply from selling us on at a vastly increase value from where we were when they bought us.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:10 - Feb 26 with 3064 viewsBlueDouglas

I felt the same leaving league 1.

In the moment of victory, the anguish of future defeats is forgotten.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:11 - Feb 26 with 3032 viewsfarkenhell

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:00 - Feb 26 by wischip

I'll only start to worry about it when we are definitely going up. If memory serves we weren't given a chance last time we went up.

You're right. Our Norfolk neighbours even had a relegation clock until it dawned on them that we were going to be closer to the top than the bottom.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:18 - Feb 26 with 2964 viewsHerbivore

The Championship is a fun league to be in, it's super competitive and you get an interesting mix of teams, plus it feels much more like the teams in the bottom half can beat the sides at the top compared to the Prem. However, financially it's not sustainable for us to just remain in the Championship forever. We'll be losing £10m to £15m a season just to tread water and the only way to change our financial status is to suckle at the Prem teat for a bit.

Added to that, the nature of competitive sport is that you want to be the best you can be and that's not compatible with being content to bump about in the second tier indefinitely. We aren't going to be aiming to win the Prem but over time we could build a squad capable of at least being very competitive. Brighton have managed it, Villa too after a recent stint in the Championship. We should be looking to better ourselves and that means gunning for the Prem, and if we miss out this season we'll be giving it a bloody good go next year.
[Post edited 26 Feb 13:18]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:23 - Feb 26 with 2915 viewsAlberto_the_frog

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:03 - Feb 26 by Vic

But to get that decade they would have to invest heavily - in which case their profit would be relatively small, wouldn't it? Not many teams in the prem seem to make much, if any money.

So I suspect the majority of the profit they hope to make from their investment will come simply from selling us on at a vastly increase value from where we were when they bought us.

The last set of figures I looked at, 7 prem teams were making a loss
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:26 - Feb 26 with 2897 viewsRobTheMonk

Championship is good fun, but the money and best players are in the Prem. We'll get promoted, finish top three and then will win the Champions League the year after.
So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:31 - Feb 26 with 2850 viewsSomethingBlue

Life in the Premier League itself: you have some valid concerns, as a fan of any promoted club would.

The moment of getting there: once-a generation memories, feelings and emotions to last a lifetime, overriding pretty much any of the difficulties that come next.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:46 - Feb 26 with 2724 viewspositivity

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:30 - Feb 26 by giant_stow

i imagine the championship is more fun when you're a recipient of the parachute money though.

i'm in favour of having a more level playing field, but if it has to be unfair, then i'd rather be kicking downhill!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:48 - Feb 26 with 2706 viewsgiant_stow

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 13:46 - Feb 26 by positivity

i imagine the championship is more fun when you're a recipient of the parachute money though.

i'm in favour of having a more level playing field, but if it has to be unfair, then i'd rather be kicking downhill!

Fair point.

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 14:08 - Feb 26 with 2614 viewsTractorCam

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 12:56 - Feb 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

Anyone who says, "I'd rather be in League One", is making stuff up.

It was a horrible place to be, and I for one, never want to be there again, with its sh1t officials, sh1t pitches and Andy Holt.

But brilliant, cheap away days and 3pm kick offs. For the fan going experience, there's no doubt we have had a better last 4 years than Palace have. All fans of these size clubs say the same regarding the Prem, Swansea fans most recently last week on the train.

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 14:13 - Feb 26 with 2588 viewsHerbivore

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. on 14:08 - Feb 26 by TractorCam

But brilliant, cheap away days and 3pm kick offs. For the fan going experience, there's no doubt we have had a better last 4 years than Palace have. All fans of these size clubs say the same regarding the Prem, Swansea fans most recently last week on the train.

League 1 was crap. The only thing good about it was getting out of it and the run of performances that helped us to achieve it. It's easy to look back on it with rose tinted specs now we're well out of it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024