Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that 14:39 - Jan 27 with 2819 viewsMullet

Think that's possibly the lowest we can be under McKenna. Luck, poor individuals, wastefulness, bad decisions etc can all be debated but we're gonna be hearing about today for years to come now aren't we?

I thought their first goal was excellent, but handing it to them was a good indicator of where we were at. Not a single defender were focused on defending first for either goal watching them back.

Elokobi seems like a great bloke too, which makes it even harder to be angry for me. I hope Morsy and McKenna get it right in that changing room and we are set for Preston at the weekend.

The purists who will no doubt be McKenna out now are going to be insufferable aren't they?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:43 - Jan 27 with 2251 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Nobody’s McKenna out, although anyone who thinks Broadhead can play the Hirst role after that has surely seen the reality of trying that?

Two Championship strikers are required immediately. No ifs, no buts and no imitations.
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:46 - Jan 27 with 2235 viewsreusersfreekicks

Good post. Trying to see it as one of those things but is hard.
We have to look at how we defend.
Plus contrast their finishing with some of ours.
Broadhead is nowhere at the mo and Taylor was poor.
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:47 - Jan 27 with 2201 viewspointofblue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:46 - Jan 27 by reusersfreekicks

Good post. Trying to see it as one of those things but is hard.
We have to look at how we defend.
Plus contrast their finishing with some of ours.
Broadhead is nowhere at the mo and Taylor was poor.

Ironically, Leeds aside, I think our defence has been looking better of late. But it was a shambles today. For the second goal, there was only one difference from the usual one too - Tuanzebe instead of Woolfenden.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:48 - Jan 27 with 2209 viewsSteve_M

After about 25 minutes, when we hadn't scored, then the possibility of a streaky 0-1 away win was definitely a possibility. Having equalised that should never have happened, we brought on the players to win that comfortably.

Maidstone were very good after their second, defensively outstanding but, bloody hell, we made it easy at times with so many wrong decisions. We never really looked like scoring, with the probable exception of Chaplin's mishit header.

Lots of lists of players who were ‘a disgrace’, ‘should never play again’ etc but I think it really showed what we already know: Aluko and Ball's time here is done and we need a striker, not for the goals so much but for the focal point to our attack.
[Post edited 27 Jan 18:10]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:50 - Jan 27 with 2174 viewsStokieBlue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:48 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

After about 25 minutes, when we hadn't scored, then the possibility of a streaky 0-1 away win was definitely a possibility. Having equalised that should never have happened, we brought on the players to win that comfortably.

Maidstone were very good after their second, defensively outstanding but, bloody hell, we made it easy at times with so many wrong decisions. We never really looked like scoring, with the probable exception of Chaplin's mishit header.

Lots of lists of players who were ‘a disgrace’, ‘should never play again’ etc but I think it really showed what we already know: Aluko and Ball's time here is done and we need a striker, not for the goals so much but for the focal point to our attack.

It might be unpopular but I am far from convinced by Taylor as well, his first touch is awful and often puts him in trouble, it did multiple times today even against lower opposition.

Scoring a few shots isn't a substitute for not doing the things a CM in our team needs to be able to do.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:51 - Jan 27 with 2142 viewspointofblue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:50 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

It might be unpopular but I am far from convinced by Taylor as well, his first touch is awful and often puts him in trouble, it did multiple times today even against lower opposition.

Scoring a few shots isn't a substitute for not doing the things a CM in our team needs to be able to do.

SB

Taylor seems to have more impact from the bench than as a starter. Did very well at Leicester, for example, and helped swing the game. But that isn't good enough for a player we spent £1.5m on.

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:51 - Jan 27 with 2123 viewsreusersfreekicks

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:48 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

Not sure what Ball did wrong in a uncomfortable role
Aluko still has some touch and vision but no legs
Broadhead and Taylor awful today.
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:54 - Jan 27 with 2050 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 14:50 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

SB

Not sure why that would be an unpopular opinion. I have been wanting him to come good but your analysis looks spot on. Seems odd we were so keen on him for so long.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:04 - Jan 27 with 1947 viewscbower

SB

It pains me to agree with you. His touch was atrocious and he looked equally as lost as Broadhead. No way should either of those two start against PNE.

bluescouser

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:09 - Jan 27 with 1911 viewsSteve_M

SB

He had a really poor game today but he's been much better than that this season, Boro away he seemed particularly in control and used the ball very well. He's changed the game well in lots of other matches and his ability to play the ball forward early has helped us.

He's developing, having changed his role a bit from a more forward player at Peterborough and I think he's fine at Championship level if not a regular starter.

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:16 - Jan 27 with 1855 viewsReusersTown

I hope that "disgrace" is sarcastic
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:21 - Jan 27 with 1831 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Good post, but you can shove your lovely sentiments where the sun don't shine - I've travelled from Maidstone to watch that all too predictable embarrassment and now my phone won't stop buzzing with messages from people I thought were dead. We will forevermore have to suffer reminders of this day every time an FA Cup David vs Goliath game happens, that's something you just have to accept now. Well done to Maidstone, got exactly what they deserved - I'm going to have a few days off watching football.
[Post edited 27 Jan 15:22]

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:23 - Jan 27 with 1791 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:21 - Jan 27 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Good post, but you can shove your lovely sentiments where the sun don't shine - I've travelled from Maidstone to watch that all too predictable embarrassment and now my phone won't stop buzzing with messages from people I thought were dead. We will forevermore have to suffer reminders of this day every time an FA Cup David vs Goliath game happens, that's something you just have to accept now. Well done to Maidstone, got exactly what they deserved - I'm going to have a few days off watching football.
[Post edited 27 Jan 15:22]

I would just reply "Lovely to hear from you; thought you were dead. Well done to your team; a proper smash-and-grab."

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:24 - Jan 27 with 1785 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:23 - Jan 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would just reply "Lovely to hear from you; thought you were dead. Well done to your team; a proper smash-and-grab."

I'm disconnecting the number and starting a new life!

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:02 - Jan 27 with 1693 viewsSteve_M

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 15:16 - Jan 27 by ReusersTown

I hope that "disgrace" is sarcastic

Some quote marks missing for the immediate reaction on here.

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:15 - Jan 27 with 1621 viewsRadlett_blue

While you can't deny Maidstone their glory - this sort of improbable, fluke result is what makes football such a great game - their goalkeeper was taking the rolling around & feigning injury to extremes, notably after he was gently pushed by Buabo.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:26 - Jan 27 with 1569 viewsLankHenners

Yeah, my thoughts as well really. What disappointed me was after essentially being unlucky not to be at least 1 or 2 goals in front after 20 minutes, we then played the rest of the game at a snail's pace. Far too slow moving the ball, we'd work it out wide then seem reluctant to cross it in so came backwards then someone would chip a ball in from an awkward angle that made it very difficult for anyone to actually get a decent header on it.

Aluko had one of those games that older players have that make them consider retirement. We already know his pace has long gone but he's still been able to use his body and footwork to some effect but unfortunately for him, and us, he looked a bit like someone's dad had filled in as an extra player in a match full of people half his age. Don't think Ball did anything wrong necessarily but the difference in drive we had down that side once Clarke was on was night and day.

Think the Broadhead experiment showed promise at Leicester but in a game like that as you say we needed a focal point. Missed that early chance then looked poor throughout for me. Thought young Buabo put himself about admirably and a more experienced head might have made more of a fuss of being rugby tackled at every corner (not that Anthony Taylor would have given us anything anyway) but we clearly need someone close enough to Hirst in the team.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:34 - Jan 27 with 1531 viewstractorboy1978

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:26 - Jan 27 by LankHenners

Yeah, my thoughts as well really. What disappointed me was after essentially being unlucky not to be at least 1 or 2 goals in front after 20 minutes, we then played the rest of the game at a snail's pace. Far too slow moving the ball, we'd work it out wide then seem reluctant to cross it in so came backwards then someone would chip a ball in from an awkward angle that made it very difficult for anyone to actually get a decent header on it.

Aluko had one of those games that older players have that make them consider retirement. We already know his pace has long gone but he's still been able to use his body and footwork to some effect but unfortunately for him, and us, he looked a bit like someone's dad had filled in as an extra player in a match full of people half his age. Don't think Ball did anything wrong necessarily but the difference in drive we had down that side once Clarke was on was night and day.

Think the Broadhead experiment showed promise at Leicester but in a game like that as you say we needed a focal point. Missed that early chance then looked poor throughout for me. Thought young Buabo put himself about admirably and a more experienced head might have made more of a fuss of being rugby tackled at every corner (not that Anthony Taylor would have given us anything anyway) but we clearly need someone close enough to Hirst in the team.

Definitely missed a focal point. We worked it wide loads of times and you can't always be clever with cut backs. Sometimes you just need someone with aerial prowess to aim at in the box. Also thought we were trying to be a bit too precise at times. Burns in particular had a couple of chances to just lash it hard and low across the box and force an error (a bit like Leicester did on Monday for their goal).
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:38 - Jan 27 with 1497 viewsLankHenners

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 16:34 - Jan 27 by tractorboy1978

Definitely missed a focal point. We worked it wide loads of times and you can't always be clever with cut backs. Sometimes you just need someone with aerial prowess to aim at in the box. Also thought we were trying to be a bit too precise at times. Burns in particular had a couple of chances to just lash it hard and low across the box and force an error (a bit like Leicester did on Monday for their goal).

Yep, think people overegg the 'we always try and walk it in' stuff but we were definitely guilty of being too cute when we could have just stuck the ball in the box.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:29 - Jan 27 with 1407 viewsVegtablue

Yes Mullet! We're going to need to put our big boy pants on for many FA Cup years to come, yet the Maidstone delirium couldn't help but evoke the scenes we've enjoyed over the past 18 months and how grateful I am to this group for having provided them. The best 18 months of my lifetime following Town, now punctuated by the most unlikely and apologetic defeat in our history lol.

I'm a little surprised by the strength of feeling on here because it didn't permeate through the stands. The crowd was quite content to kick back mostly and there was hardly a lack of urgency or endeavour on the pitch. 38 shots to 2, we at least lost in the manner that left no neutrals wondering who the Championship team was. It was the classic 'giant killing' in that sense, a "how did that happen" game that most will have delighted in.

I've seen many players called out and there were poor performances, absolutely, but it was equally bizarre that we didn't win today even accounting for those. Hopefully this only motivates players further and doesn't crush confidence, some will be at a lower ebb tonight, and hopefully the transfer window ends how it clearly needs to, for us to have a fighting chance of summer glory.

Onwards we go! And 🤞 Maidstone are rewarded with an Arsenal away or equiv in the next round.
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:31 - Jan 27 with 1388 viewspointofblue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:29 - Jan 27 by Vegtablue

Yes Mullet! We're going to need to put our big boy pants on for many FA Cup years to come, yet the Maidstone delirium couldn't help but evoke the scenes we've enjoyed over the past 18 months and how grateful I am to this group for having provided them. The best 18 months of my lifetime following Town, now punctuated by the most unlikely and apologetic defeat in our history lol.

I'm a little surprised by the strength of feeling on here because it didn't permeate through the stands. The crowd was quite content to kick back mostly and there was hardly a lack of urgency or endeavour on the pitch. 38 shots to 2, we at least lost in the manner that left no neutrals wondering who the Championship team was. It was the classic 'giant killing' in that sense, a "how did that happen" game that most will have delighted in.

I've seen many players called out and there were poor performances, absolutely, but it was equally bizarre that we didn't win today even accounting for those. Hopefully this only motivates players further and doesn't crush confidence, some will be at a lower ebb tonight, and hopefully the transfer window ends how it clearly needs to, for us to have a fighting chance of summer glory.

Onwards we go! And 🤞 Maidstone are rewarded with an Arsenal away or equiv in the next round.

I was really looking forward to watching the Deadline Day coverage on Thursday. Now... don't want anything to do with football.

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:31 - Jan 27 with 1385 viewschicoazul

Aluko was amazingly bad haha. Why we keep him as some sort of mascot I have no idea. I thought Ball was kind of ok unless it was his fault for the first goal..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:38 - Jan 27 with 1357 viewsVegtablue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:31 - Jan 27 by pointofblue

I was really looking forward to watching the Deadline Day coverage on Thursday. Now... don't want anything to do with football.

It's very raw still and an expression of how much you care, nowt wrong with that. Hopefully we'll have all benefitted from some healing time by Thursday and there's nothing like a big transfer signing to help recover the mood (🤞🤞🤞).
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:40 - Jan 27 with 1350 viewsBlueOura

SB

Agreed, yet to see what he offers apart from a good long range shot. His all round game is lacking for me.
Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:51 - Jan 27 with 1267 viewsMVBlue

Congratulations Maidstone - we'd all kill for equivalent memories like that on 17:29 - Jan 27 by Vegtablue

it really is a how did that happen game, 78% possession and 38 shots.
But their goalkeeper made no mistakes and played excellent. How has a 6th tier side got a Brazilian goalkeeper?

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024