Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night 21:57 - Dec 30 with 3867 viewsN2_Blue

I’ve not posted since the game last night but I’m absolutely appalled at some of the posts I’ve read and also overhearing from so many coming out of the ground. (Note I’m also thankful to several posters who have posted positively)

So we didn’t win against a side we expected to. Sure that’s disappointing. But come on look at the team we had to put out. In the end it could be a valuable point and other than them hitting the post the only chances were made by us , and at times in the 2nd half we played some decent stuff. The move for the Harness chance was lovely, some link up play with Onari to put him in space but unfortunately it wasn’t quite his night, it happens. We didn’t do quite enough in and around the box and didn’t move the ball quick enough but it’s not surprising with an 11 who have not played together much if at all.

Cam Humphreys did really well in an unfamiliar position. It was clear McKenna didn’t want him going too far forward first half but the 2nd a marked change in approach and Cam did great.

Probably Towns most 3 crucial and influential players are Hirst, Morsy and Davis (although there is argument for Chappers too). To have them all missing along with Burns and Broadhead made last night so tough. When I saw the team I thought we’d try and give it a go but I also thought there was a real danger we could lose the game too and I thought it was a decent point all things considered.

The treatment of Ladapo disappoints me and I thought town fans were better. It wasn’t his best night that is obvious, in fact pretty much everything went wrong for him. Such a shame that early chance didn’t go in for him. It was clear he was lacking confidence and minutes and I’m sure he was gutted about how it went which may have sparked his frustration when subbed. Believe it not I think that’s because he actually cares and was very disappointed. He still clapped at full time with other players but notably didn’t come to close to the SBRL as no doubt he hear some of the vitriol.

He’s contributed so much over two years and even at the start of this season. He’s probably feeling a bit hurt having fallen down the pecking order so much and we do need an upgrade in quality but some of the vitriol towards him from the crowd and on here is disgusting and I really thought we were a better support basis than that.

Unfortunately this rather successful period over the last 12 months has certainly left a lot of fans forgetting that teams don't generally win every week, especially when quite clearly out performing their expected level. There are 4 sides consistently out performing all others in this division. We are one of them, the other 3 still have premier league squads where serval of their players would walk in to our first 11. We’ve lost just 3 games this season yet some fans lose their sh@t because we have the audacity to only take a point from a home to QPR. Disappointing sure but we have no given right to win and with a near 2nd string of players.

I’m still optimistic we’ll give the automatics a good go and be there or thereabouts come May but should it be the playoffs I genuinely fear the reaction from a sizeable amount of our supporters thinking it will have been a disaster. It would be anything but, and a considerable achievement to be proud of.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Last night on 22:02 - Dec 30 with 3412 viewsjasondozzell

Excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly.
Last night on 22:06 - Dec 30 with 3379 viewsReuser_is_God

Spot on.

Some of our supporters don’t deserve success.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Last night on 22:06 - Dec 30 with 3369 viewsMK1

Those are all fair points, but I would expect those waiting for their chance to take it when it comes. We need our squad more this season than last, so they have to be good enough. If we want to challenge, then the squad needs to be strong enough. Championship squad, no doubt about it. Challenging for promotion to Premier League squad, probably not quite.
Last night on 22:06 - Dec 30 with 3368 viewsN2_Blue

Last night on 22:02 - Dec 30 by jasondozzell

Excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks, not as well put as your post earlier which was excellent and was so refreshing to see.
But 24 hours on I still felt the need to post and get this off my chest. The reaction to last night from a fairly sizeable element of our support rather upset me, I mean we’re only like having one of our best seasons ever and we didn’t even lose and with a rather a big dose of mitigating factors!!

Last night on 22:13 - Dec 30 with 3303 viewsSomethingBlue

Excellent post. Agree with you on Ladapo – he came in when we were far from a sure thing in League One, did the required job (and then some), and should be heralded as a key member of a team that gave us our best memories in more than 20 years. As it goes, I wonder how things this year would have panned out for us if he hadn't snaffled those two goals against Cardiff too. No he isn't a top-half Championship striker but that was never remotely close to being the deal – he'll leave, probably quite soon, with my thanks and hopefully everyone else's.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 22:15]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Last night on 22:14 - Dec 30 with 3293 viewsN2_Blue

Last night on 22:06 - Dec 30 by MK1

Those are all fair points, but I would expect those waiting for their chance to take it when it comes. We need our squad more this season than last, so they have to be good enough. If we want to challenge, then the squad needs to be strong enough. Championship squad, no doubt about it. Challenging for promotion to Premier League squad, probably not quite.

I get that but it’s remarkable that our first choice starting11 have taken us to where we currently are. They are out performing their abilities or have improved beyond what anyone could have believed their talent ceiling was.

To then expect a 2nd choice 11 bar two or 3 players to do the same is highly unrealistic yet I still think we were by far the better team over the 90 mins. We need strength in depth and I’m sure we will be strengthening the squad in the next month but it’s also unfortunate to lose so many players in a matter of days. The Morsy suspension and Broadhead illness just minutes before kick off just capped it off.

Last night on 22:16 - Dec 30 with 3248 viewsReuser_is_God

Last night on 22:13 - Dec 30 by SomethingBlue

Excellent post. Agree with you on Ladapo – he came in when we were far from a sure thing in League One, did the required job (and then some), and should be heralded as a key member of a team that gave us our best memories in more than 20 years. As it goes, I wonder how things this year would have panned out for us if he hadn't snaffled those two goals against Cardiff too. No he isn't a top-half Championship striker but that was never remotely close to being the deal – he'll leave, probably quite soon, with my thanks and hopefully everyone else's.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 22:15]

Yup, a free transfer who scored 21 goals in a promotion season.

Nothing but fond memories of him, not his fault we’ve moved on several levels above him so quickly.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Last night on 22:27 - Dec 30 with 3136 viewsBigCommon

I mean, we've got a manager and coaching staff and set of seniors around the building, that are getting the absolute maximum from everyone of the playing staff, imo.
Aluko has been a consummate pro' since he arrived here.. When someone like him questions a section of the fan base, on the final whistle. Then we know where some, unneeded bad smells are coming from , imo..
Login to get fewer ads

Last night on 22:27 - Dec 30 with 3130 viewsSitfcB

Was willing him to score last night, especially that second one on one.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Last night on 22:32 - Dec 30 with 3096 viewsN2_Blue

Last night on 22:16 - Dec 30 by Reuser_is_God

Nothing but fond memories of him, not his fault we’ve moved on several levels above him so quickly.

Excellent to hear other fans say this. Spot on!

Last night on 22:42 - Dec 30 with 3033 viewsBondiBlue

I've noticed a bit of a backlash against 'happy clappers' since relegation from the championship, and some have mentioned that we should be more like leeds fans and demand success. Fans being positive didn't get us relegated, underinvestment in the club from the owner did. A patient fanbase is a good thing and a reason that players (and future managers) will want to come here. Let's lean on that.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Last night on 22:55 - Dec 30 with 2918 viewsChurchman

Last night on 22:32 - Dec 30 by N2_Blue

Excellent to hear other fans say this. Spot on!

Don’t forget that it is the empty vessels that make the most noise.

The vast majority of supporters are realistic and supportive, but we have the same small percentage of boneheads as every other club, sadly.

The lack of understanding and appreciation of how far we’ve come and what the owners and staff are trying to do baffles me tbh. It’s like the Evans years never happened. Let’s face it, a couple more mediocre results and we will have the same brigade coming out of the woodwork as last year questioning whether McKenna is the right man for the job. ‘Has he taken us as far as he can’’Bring in Colin’ etc.

As for Ladapo, he deserves support, not abuse. Booing and abusing a player is hardly going to help him or us. But that won’t stop the thickos.
Last night on 23:03 - Dec 30 with 2848 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well said.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Last night on 00:07 - Dec 31 with 2661 viewsVaughan8

Don't come on here posting sensible stuff.......!

Well said.
Last night on 00:19 - Dec 31 with 2591 viewsWhos_blue

Good post there mate.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Last night I dreamt of Dos Santos... on 00:29 - Dec 31 with 2545 viewsPendejo

That's a lie BTW

I think last night has more positives than negatives.

Ladapo fluffed an opportunity presented to him by Hirst getting injured, wasn't composed. We know McKenna improves players so I'm sure he will work on Ladapo as a matter of urgency.
But how good did Buabo look when he came on?
Looking forward to seeing him again.

Burns, Broadhead, Morsy and Leif all missing but we didn't concede a goal.

Humphreys looked more than adequate at LB.

All teams will suffer injuries, slumps in form and will lose influential players to African & Asian tournaments, some have the resources to have back ups, others don't.

Where we were this time last year? The year before etc?

Anyone who doesn't trust McKenna and this team, don't buy a ticket, let someone else who is more invested attend. I'd rather 20,000 noisey home fans than 27,000 with 7,000 watering down the atmosphere.
This team has EARNED our support.

In a week or so is the 47th anniversary of my first ever game, I can't recall a side in that time that only lost 4 league games in a calendar year, and when I get time I will check back on the Pride of Anglia website to see whether I have it not. The boys of 81 didn't achieve that, did they? And that's the best Ipswich team I think I will ever see.

If we finished 7th would that be such a bad season?
If asked in July the answer is thank you very much!
But now that'd feel like failure wouldn't it?

We all know that football fans can be fickle, some like a scapegoat, others seem to revel in being able to moan.
Am I a happy clapper? Maybe, but then the "real world" is where I live, football? That's just some escapism in which I become the 12 year old child that saw their team lift a European Trophy.

The real world? Numerous colleague funerals including one who'd stepped in front of a train, helping my wife's charity that deals with poverty, much of which effectively derives out of modern slavery. Going from bankrupt, homeless and unemployed for 2 years with a foreign wife and child, to holding down management positions in two different companies not in an industry I consider my profession.

So excuse me if "I" think "everything's gonna be alright" because I believe in the power of positive thought; individually and collectively.

Well that's off my chest, I'll go to bed now... Up to Ipswich tomorrow for a family meal, only got home from QPR game at 00:40 Saturday morning.

Follow the town up or down!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Last night on 00:32 - Dec 31 with 2541 viewsDubtractor

I'll hold my hand up to posting an overly negative assessment on Ladapo, Ball and Williams after the game on Friday, but the context (for Ball and Ladapo) really is that:

1) I never do anything other than support in the ground - I'm finding some of the recent entitled negativity in the stadium quite astonishing.
2) The main context for me is that we're now playing at a level, and with ambitions, well in advance of what they were signed to do. It's not their fault that we're suddenly challenging for top 2 and expectation levels have gone through the roof.
3) My view overall is still that we are massively outperforming anything we could have expected this season, but Friday did somewhat illustrate that we'll need to add reinforcements if we're to maintain the pace.

None of my comments were meant as personal slights towards those players, albeit almost certainly in the post game frustration they may have read that way!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Last night on 08:36 - Dec 31 with 2228 viewsPioneerBlue

Great post. Interesting follow up comments.

*Shall we call time on Ladapo chat for now and help move the discussion on to something new? I’m on his side whilst he’s an ITFC player.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Last night on 08:59 - Dec 31 with 2139 viewsArnieM

A Town fan, a lady in her 80’s I understand, DIED at that game.

That’s real life. The rest of this thread matters not….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Last night on 15:20 - Dec 31 with 1734 viewsITFCSG

Last night on 22:42 - Dec 30 by BondiBlue

I've noticed a bit of a backlash against 'happy clappers' since relegation from the championship, and some have mentioned that we should be more like leeds fans and demand success. Fans being positive didn't get us relegated, underinvestment in the club from the owner did. A patient fanbase is a good thing and a reason that players (and future managers) will want to come here. Let's lean on that.

Totally agree
It seems that some people have never moved on from the 18-19 season when we were relegated and blame other supporters staying positive as “happy clappers”. Same as those who still pin the blame on Chambers and Skuse after all these years. Ever overheard someone saying “they will never forgive those who clapped the club to relegation” instead of doing something more drastic. Many (even some people I know) still blame these “happy clappers” as the cause of relegation and view our fan base as being too placid, patient and soft and use the examples of Leeds, Sunderland, Sheff Wed etc. and be more demanding. Some would rather see protests and flares on the pitch every weekend!
Last night on 15:44 - Dec 31 with 1642 viewsVic

Last night on 22:16 - Dec 30 by Reuser_is_God

^^^^ This ^^^^

we haven't had a player score 20 goal a season for I don't know how long and yet within a few months people are slagging him off. OK, he may not be the top end Championship striker we need, but he's done us absolutely proud while he's been here. What kind of supporters are we to turn on our own?

Come on Town fans, let's follow our managers words and example, stay humble and stay classy. Let's be different from the rest.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Last night on 15:47 - Dec 31 with 1630 viewsVic

Last night on 22:06 - Dec 30 by MK1

If you're suggesting that those who came in didn't try then I think, quite honestly, you're barmy! Give me one good reason why a 2nd string player who gets the chance in the first team not try his guts out for the team and for himself?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Last night on 16:14 - Dec 31 with 1546 viewsstrikalite

Last night on 15:44 - Dec 31 by Vic

^^^^ This ^^^^

we haven't had a player score 20 goal a season for I don't know how long and yet within a few months people are slagging him off. OK, he may not be the top end Championship striker we need, but he's done us absolutely proud while he's been here. What kind of supporters are we to turn on our own?

Come on Town fans, let's follow our managers words and example, stay humble and stay classy. Let's be different from the rest.

Yeah well said, oh the Irony when the same fans giving Ladapo grief will be singing the " Ladapo in attack..." song on Monday 🤔
Lovely post Penders, top boi (n/t) on 16:52 - Dec 31 with 1454 viewsDyland

Last night I dreamt of Dos Santos... on 00:29 - Dec 31 by Pendejo

That's a lie BTW

I think last night has more positives than negatives.

Ladapo fluffed an opportunity presented to him by Hirst getting injured, wasn't composed. We know McKenna improves players so I'm sure he will work on Ladapo as a matter of urgency.
But how good did Buabo look when he came on?
Looking forward to seeing him again.

Burns, Broadhead, Morsy and Leif all missing but we didn't concede a goal.

Humphreys looked more than adequate at LB.

All teams will suffer injuries, slumps in form and will lose influential players to African & Asian tournaments, some have the resources to have back ups, others don't.

Where we were this time last year? The year before etc?

Anyone who doesn't trust McKenna and this team, don't buy a ticket, let someone else who is more invested attend. I'd rather 20,000 noisey home fans than 27,000 with 7,000 watering down the atmosphere.
This team has EARNED our support.

In a week or so is the 47th anniversary of my first ever game, I can't recall a side in that time that only lost 4 league games in a calendar year, and when I get time I will check back on the Pride of Anglia website to see whether I have it not. The boys of 81 didn't achieve that, did they? And that's the best Ipswich team I think I will ever see.

If we finished 7th would that be such a bad season?
If asked in July the answer is thank you very much!
But now that'd feel like failure wouldn't it?

We all know that football fans can be fickle, some like a scapegoat, others seem to revel in being able to moan.
Am I a happy clapper? Maybe, but then the "real world" is where I live, football? That's just some escapism in which I become the 12 year old child that saw their team lift a European Trophy.

The real world? Numerous colleague funerals including one who'd stepped in front of a train, helping my wife's charity that deals with poverty, much of which effectively derives out of modern slavery. Going from bankrupt, homeless and unemployed for 2 years with a foreign wife and child, to holding down management positions in two different companies not in an industry I consider my profession.

So excuse me if "I" think "everything's gonna be alright" because I believe in the power of positive thought; individually and collectively.

Well that's off my chest, I'll go to bed now... Up to Ipswich tomorrow for a family meal, only got home from QPR game at 00:40 Saturday morning.

Follow the town up or down!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Last night on 18:35 - Dec 31 with 1291 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Last night on 00:32 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

I'll hold my hand up to posting an overly negative assessment on Ladapo, Ball and Williams after the game on Friday, but the context (for Ball and Ladapo) really is that:

1) I never do anything other than support in the ground - I'm finding some of the recent entitled negativity in the stadium quite astonishing.
2) The main context for me is that we're now playing at a level, and with ambitions, well in advance of what they were signed to do. It's not their fault that we're suddenly challenging for top 2 and expectation levels have gone through the roof.
3) My view overall is still that we are massively outperforming anything we could have expected this season, but Friday did somewhat illustrate that we'll need to add reinforcements if we're to maintain the pace.

None of my comments were meant as personal slights towards those players, albeit almost certainly in the post game frustration they may have read that way!

I have no problem at all Dubbers in agreeing with your post match assessment and also fully agreeing with the OP....they are not incompatible.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024