Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night 21:57 - Dec 30 with 3952 viewsN2_Blue

I’ve not posted since the game last night but I’m absolutely appalled at some of the posts I’ve read and also overhearing from so many coming out of the ground. (Note I’m also thankful to several posters who have posted positively)

So we didn’t win against a side we expected to. Sure that’s disappointing. But come on look at the team we had to put out. In the end it could be a valuable point and other than them hitting the post the only chances were made by us , and at times in the 2nd half we played some decent stuff. The move for the Harness chance was lovely, some link up play with Onari to put him in space but unfortunately it wasn’t quite his night, it happens. We didn’t do quite enough in and around the box and didn’t move the ball quick enough but it’s not surprising with an 11 who have not played together much if at all.

Cam Humphreys did really well in an unfamiliar position. It was clear McKenna didn’t want him going too far forward first half but the 2nd a marked change in approach and Cam did great.

Probably Towns most 3 crucial and influential players are Hirst, Morsy and Davis (although there is argument for Chappers too). To have them all missing along with Burns and Broadhead made last night so tough. When I saw the team I thought we’d try and give it a go but I also thought there was a real danger we could lose the game too and I thought it was a decent point all things considered.

The treatment of Ladapo disappoints me and I thought town fans were better. It wasn’t his best night that is obvious, in fact pretty much everything went wrong for him. Such a shame that early chance didn’t go in for him. It was clear he was lacking confidence and minutes and I’m sure he was gutted about how it went which may have sparked his frustration when subbed. Believe it not I think that’s because he actually cares and was very disappointed. He still clapped at full time with other players but notably didn’t come to close to the SBRL as no doubt he hear some of the vitriol.

He’s contributed so much over two years and even at the start of this season. He’s probably feeling a bit hurt having fallen down the pecking order so much and we do need an upgrade in quality but some of the vitriol towards him from the crowd and on here is disgusting and I really thought we were a better support basis than that.

Unfortunately this rather successful period over the last 12 months has certainly left a lot of fans forgetting that teams don't generally win every week, especially when quite clearly out performing their expected level. There are 4 sides consistently out performing all others in this division. We are one of them, the other 3 still have premier league squads where serval of their players would walk in to our first 11. We’ve lost just 3 games this season yet some fans lose their sh@t because we have the audacity to only take a point from a home to QPR. Disappointing sure but we have no given right to win and with a near 2nd string of players.

I’m still optimistic we’ll give the automatics a good go and be there or thereabouts come May but should it be the playoffs I genuinely fear the reaction from a sizeable amount of our supporters thinking it will have been a disaster. It would be anything but, and a considerable achievement to be proud of.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Last night on 19:13 - Dec 31 with 366 viewsazuremerlangus

Last night on 00:32 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

I'll hold my hand up to posting an overly negative assessment on Ladapo, Ball and Williams after the game on Friday, but the context (for Ball and Ladapo) really is that:

1) I never do anything other than support in the ground - I'm finding some of the recent entitled negativity in the stadium quite astonishing.
2) The main context for me is that we're now playing at a level, and with ambitions, well in advance of what they were signed to do. It's not their fault that we're suddenly challenging for top 2 and expectation levels have gone through the roof.
3) My view overall is still that we are massively outperforming anything we could have expected this season, but Friday did somewhat illustrate that we'll need to add reinforcements if we're to maintain the pace.

None of my comments were meant as personal slights towards those players, albeit almost certainly in the post game frustration they may have read that way!

I think you have nicely summarised what juncture we are currently at - and what most fans would agree with (but not necessarily have articulated properly themselves).

Being in this lofty position and its associated rarefied air causes some nausea for some - we have just got to learn to enjoy the giddy ride it creates!!

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Last night on 19:28 - Dec 31 with 351 viewsBluesky

Well said, N2_Blue
Last night on 19:39 - Dec 31 with 335 viewsKieran_Knows

Last night on 00:32 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

I'll hold my hand up to posting an overly negative assessment on Ladapo, Ball and Williams after the game on Friday, but the context (for Ball and Ladapo) really is that:

1) I never do anything other than support in the ground - I'm finding some of the recent entitled negativity in the stadium quite astonishing.
2) The main context for me is that we're now playing at a level, and with ambitions, well in advance of what they were signed to do. It's not their fault that we're suddenly challenging for top 2 and expectation levels have gone through the roof.
3) My view overall is still that we are massively outperforming anything we could have expected this season, but Friday did somewhat illustrate that we'll need to add reinforcements if we're to maintain the pace.

None of my comments were meant as personal slights towards those players, albeit almost certainly in the post game frustration they may have read that way!

Absolutely this, although my negativity is more towards Jackson than anyone else.

Probably shouldn’t have called him brain dead the other day, that was a bit OTT. Hey ho.

Here’s to a positive result tomorrow and everyone will chill out.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Last night on 22:20 - Dec 31 with 275 viewsHalifaxBlue

Great thread. Completely agree with OP. Dubtractor, good on you for holding your hand up, but also not really necessary - emotional reactions and criticism are part of the game, as long as they are reasonable and not pigheadedly stubborn when it's pointed out it may be over the top.

The great irony here is that so many people were slaughtering Freddie for an emotional reaction to bad performance, when they themselves were doing exactly the same thing at the time, but in a situation with no stakes or pressure whatsoever.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024